• Published 28th Jun 2016
  • 4,661 Views, 38 Comments

The Awkward Wedding - Addictive Reads



Rainbow Dash has been invited to Pinkie Pie's wedding. But Pinkie requests everypony who attends her wedding bring along a partner of their opposite gender, and whoever catches the flowers must kiss their partner. Rainbow isn't comfortable with it.

  • ...
7
 38
 4,661

The Awkward Wedding (Part 1)

"Pinkie, thanks for inviting us to your place for a sleepover!" Twilight Sparkle thanked her. Pinkie Pie grinned in response. She had invited her five friends, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Apple Jack and Rarity, to Sugarcube Corner for a sleepover. Pinkie Pie had something important to tell her friends.

"Guys? I got news! I'm getting married in a month!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, jumping out of her sleeping bag. "I invited the whole of Ponyville, and anypony else who wants to see me at my wedding!"

"That's wonderful, Pinkie! I knew that Cheese Sandwich was going to do that!" Twilight clapped her hooves together in excitement.

"I shall make your wedding dress, Pinkie Pie, I've ideas in my mind already!" Rarity rambled on and on about her ideas.

"Ahm happy for ya, Pinkie Pie!" Apple Jack tossed her hat into the air as a sign of celebration.

"That's awesome!" Rainbow Dash flew up to the ceiling.

"Wow, that's nice, Pinkie Pie," Fluttershy cheered softly.

Pinkie Pie grinned from ear to ear (literally), and put on a devilish smirk. "And as the bride of the wedding, I made up some rules!" She continued, "Everypony who attends my wedding MUST bring along a partner of their opposite gender, and whoever catches the flowers I throw at the end of the wedding must kiss their partner on stage!" Pinkie Pie squealed.

"Probably not as cool as I thought," Rainbow Dash muttered.

"So, any idea who you all are going to bring?" Pinkie Pie asked, not hearing what Rainbow Dash had muttered. Twilight grinned confidently, "I'll bring my coltfriend, Flash Sentry. I'm sure he doesn't mind, what's more, I even plan on getting the flowers!" Sure, Flash Sentry had been dating Twilight Sparkle for almost a year now. Rarity flipped her mane. "Fancy Pants would go with me. And I also plan on getting the flowers too!" Twilight and Rarity glared at each other in mock rivalry. They laughed after that. "Well, I'm going with Caramel. He's...he's a nice fella," Apple Jack stammered. Her five other friends ooh-ed. She groaned internally. "C-can..I...I go w-with... B-big Macint-tosh?" Fluttershy asked timidly. Apple Jack raised an eyebrow at her. The others nodded encouragingly.

After that, silence followed.

"Dashie, who would you go with? Any stallions in mind?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Uh, yeah...um...of course!" Rainbow Dash replied hastily. In fact, she did not have any stallions in mind. She wanted to be the same with the rest of her friends. Being the odd one out was a huge blow to her ego.

"Who is it?"

"Uh...somepony..."

"Dashie, who is it?"

Rainbow Dash bit her lower lip. She scratched the back of her neck. "Shy to tell? That isn't you, Rainbow Dash," Rarity pressed on the matter, trying to get it out of Rainbow Dash. Rainbow's eyes narrowed. Her ego got the better of her. "I'm not shy! I just don't have a stallion!" She blurted out. Rainbow Dash blushed in embarrassment.

"Then why did you say you did have one in mind?" Pinkie raised an eyebrow.

"Because I didn't want to be different from you guys," Rainbow Dash grumbled, flew back to her sleeping bag slowly, and folded her wings glumly. "It's okay, Dashie! I'm sure you'll find a stallion! You got one month's time!" Pinkie Pie assured her. "Yeah...I'll find one..." Rainbow Dash sighed, and slunk into her sleeping bag. Her friends stared at her. They shrugged, and ended the conversation. Pinkie Pie turned off the lights, and all of them went to sleep.

"Find a stallion...find a stallion..." Rainbow Dash went through the stallions she was close to in her mind. She had just gone home from the sleepover, and was thinking about it while lying down on her bed. "Maybe Thunderlane? Nah, he's bringing Blossomforth. Doc? He's with Derpy. Uh...Why does everypony have a partner already?!" She groaned, and tossed and turned on her bed. Maybe a flight in the air would help her clear her mind.

Rainbow Dash took to the air. Her wings were spread wide, gliding slowly over Ponyville. She felt the air ruffle her feathers, cooling them. "Ah...this is the life," She commented to herself. She closed her eyes, letting her pegasus sense take over.

All of a sudden, she felt something coming too close to her. Her pegasus instincts were telling her to dodge away. Rainbow Dash snapped open her eyes, finding a navy blue and pale blue swirl slamming into her.

"What the hay?! What happened?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, feeling soft grass below her. Did she crash? She opened her eyes, and came face to face with the one and only, Soarin of the Wonderbolts.

They were staring at each other in confusion. Then they realised that Soarin was lying on top of Rainbow Dash. "AHHHH!" They both screamed out loud in unison. Soarin quickly scrambled off her; Rainbow Dash leapt into the air once he got off. "I'm very sorry miss," Soarin apologised. "It's... It's okay," Rainbow Dash dusted herself. She turned her gaze towards the stallion.

Navy blue windswept mane, pale blue coat, emerald green eyes, muscular body figure, handsome features, a Wonderbolt. That was what he looked like to most of the fanfillies, but in Rainbow Dash's eyes, he was the childhood friend she had made on the first day of school. He soon became her best friend. They only parted when Soarin passed the flight academy and Rainbow Dash did not. They did not see each other ever since; Soarin was busy as a Wonderbolt, and Rainbow Dash was busy as a weather control pony.

"Soarin? Soarin Skies?" She asked, not believing her eyes. He finally took a firm stare at her, and recognised her at once. "Rainbow Dash?" He beamed. "Long time no see! How ya doing?" Rainbow smiled. They did a hoofbump."I'm doing great! Sorry, I was practicing one of the Wonderbolt stunts. It went out of hoof and I crashed into you," Soarin grinned sheepishly and blushed in embarrassment, "How's life?" Rainbow Dash flipped her mane egotistically. "Awesome. I became an element of harmony, performed a sonic rainboom three times, saved equestria twice, and in flight academy now, topping the scores," She puffed her chest, brimming with pride. Soarin rolled his eyes. "Treat you out for lunch at my place? As a sign of apology and to reconcile?" He offered. "Sure!" Rainbow Dash agreed.

"Race you to your house," Rainbow Dash challenged Soarin. She knew where his house was as she went to it many times before. "As you wish," Soarin smiled devilishly. They both shared a laugh, and started the race, "Three, two, one, GO!" They flew up to Cloudsdale at a outstanding speed. They were neck to neck. As they flew through the streets of Cloudsdale, they whipped many ponies' mane into a windswept frenzy. Rainbow Dash felt the wind pulling at her mane. She hadn't had such a competition in a while. They reached Soarin's doorstep at the same time.

"I won!" Rainbow Dash threw her hooves up in the air.

"No, I did!" Soarin childishly argued.

"It's not!"

"It's too!"

"It's not!"

"Alright, alright, I surrender," Soarin threw up his hooves in mock surrender. Rainbow Dash giggled, later joined in by Soarin. He unlocked the door, and stepped inside, followed by her. Soarin went into the kitchen, leaving Rainbow Dash at the dining table.

"What's the menu?" Rainbow Dash asked with curiosity, then she put on a smirk,"Or, do you even know how to cook?" Soarin's head popped out of the kitchen's doorway, "Menu's apple pie. And, I DO know how to cook." He put on a fake frown. Rainbow Dash smiled sweetly at him. Soarin rolled his eyes once more, and went back to the kitchen. Fifteen minutes later, he came out with two freshly baked apple pies in his hooves, him himself hovering over to the dining table.

"Wow, mmm...somepony actually knows how to cook," Rainbow Dash commented as she ate the pie,"It's really nice." He gave her a sigh, thinking she was kidding about how nice it was. As if on cue, Rainbow Dash reassured him, "I mean it." He gave her a smile and started digging in.

After they were done eating, Soarin put the dishes into the basin, and started washing them. "Hey, Soarin?" Rainbow Dash perked up.

"Yeah?"

"Do you have a marefriend?"

"No, why do you ask?"

"Well, all my friends got their coltfriends, even Fluttershy, being as timid as she is! And I don't have one. My parents are chewing me out on that topic, and...I really hate it. Psh, I wonder how you never selected one of those fanfillies that I assume chase you around,"

Soarin came out of the kitchen, shaking his head. He sat down on one of the dining table's chairs, and leaned on one hoof. "Nah, the fanfillies are head over hooves for my repetition as Soarin The Wonderbolt, not for Soarin The Stallion. It's really hard to find true love as a celebrity, 'cause you don't know whether they really like the real you, or the celebrity you. Lucky you're not a celebrity," he huffed. Rainbow Dash snickered, "Lucky I'm not."

A question that Rainbow Dash had been pondering so hard on ever since morning had been forgotten upon meeting Soarin. It suddenly resurfaced in her mind. Probably because of the topic from earlier. She suddenly knew the answer for the question straight away.

"Soarin, can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead,"

"Well, there's this wedding...Pinkie Pie's wedding. She wants everypony who goes to her wedding bring along a partner of their opposite gender... and I was pondering about it all morning till I met you. Can-"

"I go with you as your partner?" Soarin finished her question for her. "Exactly!" Rainbow Dash flew to the ceiling. "I don't mind to go, but are you sure I have an invitation?" Soarin asked worriedly as he joined her at the ceiling. "I told ya, she invites anypony else who wants to be at her wedding. And we're only going to the wedding as friends," she confirmed. He gave her an innocent look, "As friends." They laughed.

Rainbow Dash remembered,"Oh yeah, pick a formal attire, and meet me at the town hall in Ponyville, 3rd June, at 6pm. I'm gonna be waiting for you at the entrance." He nodded. "I can't wait to see your expression when you're forced to wear a dress!" Soarin exclaimed, smiling slyly. He knew that she hated wearing any "fancy-fancy" stuff. "Ha. Ha. Very funny. Well, if we're done here, I'll be going! I still need to be in charge of the weather team in an hour's time," Rainbow Dash flew to the door. Soarin opened the door for her. They said their goodbyes, and parted.