• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 1,889 Views, 31 Comments

When I Consider How My Light is Spent - Cynewulf

  • ...
6
 31
 1,889

This World Dark and Wide

The cat mewled as it leapt free of her embrace, and Fluttershy let it.


A great sigh welled forth as she put the soft-edged syringe away and capped the little bottle of medicine. It was important to give Rascal the whole prescription and she was absolutely committed to doing what it took to ensure that the animals in her care were taken care of, but sometimes that meant doing things that were just unpleasant.


But that was part of the job, as Dr. Polychrome had told her gently. She had to become enduring without becoming numb. Life was not always pleasant, and sometimes in order to preserve the things that were one had to wade into what was decidedly not. And, really, inoculating a squirming cat was hardly the worst thing she had done as the closest thing to Ponyville’s resident veterinarian.


It had started out much simpler. Odd jobs, at first. Delivering things for the mayor, pet sitting. Babysitting foals in town. And then the old veterinarian had retired and moved along.


She loved animals. This didn’t mean she’d known how to care for them when they were hurt or sick. The first year or so had been chaos, trying to pick up what she could from books and the doctors at Ponyville General, and looking back… she was glad that there hadn’t been anything too serious. Not until after she’d found Dr. Polychrome and taken classes.


Rascal was just a housecat from town. Carrot Top had been worried about him, but he really was doing much better. She was sure he’d be back after he’d sulked for a while. Such a good kitty, she thought to herself as she put the bag away and stretched out on her couch with a great sigh.


She heard Macintosh in the kitchen and smiled faintly. A quick grab in front of her brought a pillow to snuggle with and in her drowsy state it was wonderful.


The days felt longer now because she did less and less. Macintosh had made her dinner last night as well, and probably would again. Her friends visited often. But even with the company, most of her time was spent alone.


She’d insisted on it. After a week of constant hovering, Fluttershy had politely and quietly insisted that she wanted most to feel like life was normal. That if they would be of service to her, they would not put their lives on hold.


Reluctantly, they had stopped their constant hovering. Well, to an extent.


She heard somepony knock lazily on the door and she lifted her head. “Come in.”


The door had already opened before she’d finished speaking. “Yo, Shy. What’s Big Red makin’ us tonight?”


Fluttershy giggled. “Stew. Nothing fancy tonight. We both had long days. How was yours, Rainbow?”


“Meh.” Rainbow trod loudly through her house.


Fluttershy’s ears followed her. She was a quiet pony, and quiet ponies learned how to pick up on the subtle variations in sound--be quiet and listen long enough and soon you know one friend’s steps from another, one’s breathing from another’s. Rainbow’s had been the easiest to learn.


She sat up and smiled aimlessly. “Come sit and tell me about it.”


Rainbow plopped down beside her on the couch and sprawled. “Just a lot of work today. Weather Service is riding my ass again. They forget I’m working with volunteers and part-timers. I mean, I’ve only been full-time for like, what, a year?”


“You’ve done a wonderful job,” Fluttershy said, grasping for her. Her hoof rested on Rainbow’s shoulder and Dash rubbed her cheek against it with a sigh.


“Yeah. Thanks, Shy.” Rainbow Dash leaned over and nuzzled her cheek briefly. “Generally, we get a lot done because my team is motivated. Ponyville may be a groundpounder town, but it's our groundpounder town.”


She heard Macintosh snort with laughter from the kitchen and repressed the urge to smile. “If you say so.”


“Yeah, but even motivated teams have off days…”


She continued. Fluttershy listened with rapt attention to every minute detail, seeing them in her mind. Thunderlane and Blossomforth lagging behind an impetuous Rainbow Dash. Pegasi pushing clouds laden with rain across the fields. Riding the wind and feeling the touch of frost.


Macintosh called them for dinner. Fluttershy smiled and tried to stand, only for Rainbow Dash to rush to help her up.


Fluttershy shook her head even as she accepted the uncalled for aid. “It’s fine, really.”


“It’s not,” Rainbow said quietly, strangely. “Besides, I’m here, I might as well help.”


She didn’t answer. Instead she let Rainbow help her into the dining room.