• Published 24th Jun 2016
  • 1,228 Views, 120 Comments

The Angel in Red - Inkquill



From the dark realm of Tramplevania, an ancient force awakens to reunite with a lost love.

  • ...
3
 120
 1,228

Act II, Scene II

THE ANGEL IN RED

By

Inkquill

Act II, Scene II

Butterscotch’s eyes creaked open as the smell of food roused him from his sleep. Sitting up in his head he pushed back his mane with his hoof before crawling out of bed and opening the curtains to balcony doors. He shook his head as a cold wind brushed by him as he looked out onto the streets of Canterlot. “What the…” He paused as he looked up, noticing the thick overcast that hung over the city; the damp streets had a faint glow, as if the street lamps were dim candles​ and the roads, silver glass as they gently glittered.

It had been a week since they returned from their trip to Geneighva, but still the cloud cover had yet to let up, leaving the entire city in a state of perpetual twilight. He could see the ponies bellow dressed in heavy rain coats and hats. It was like a noir scene from a mystery novel.

“Oh well…” He said closing the balcony doors.

He could hear Blue Belle as she hummed as he trotted down the stairwell, his face content as he did so; the delightful smell of fresh pancakes helping him perk up dispite the drowsy weather.

Putting on his undershirt and coat, Butterscotch trotted his way from his room down the grand stairs of his inherited family estate, down towards the parlor room where he was surprised but delighted to see Dusk Shine waiting while Blue Belle brought out the tea as he read the newspaper.

“Well there he is.” Blue Belle said with a smile, pouring his a cup of tea.

“Morning Butterscotch,” Dusk said, looking up from his newspaper. “You slept in again. Another tough night?”

Butterscotch nodded as he sat down at the adjacent couch. “Yeah, the nightmares have come back. I went away for a while but they seem to have come back with a vengeance.”

“I’m so sorry Butters.” Blue Belle said, trying to comfort her adopted sibling.

“Oh, don’t worry about it Blue, it’s not your fault.”

She smiled at him as she sat down at his side. “What’s new in the paper Dusk?” She asked.

Dusk shine shook his head as he set the paper down on the mahogany table in front of him. “More of the same.” He grimaced. “Three more ponies have disappeared without a trace. I think that’s now like twenty five since we got back.”

“Oh dear, that’s awful.” Said Butterscotch. In the days following their return the newspapers had been flooded with reports of ponies vanishing without a trace. Some officers theorized that there was some kind of magical explanation, that or a serial killer, but no pony could say for sure. The ponies were simply… gone.

Suddenly, there came a knock at the door that made all three of them look up with surprise. None of them had been expecting visitors? Especially not this early in the morning.

“I'll get it.” Said Blue Belle as she set the tray down on the table and excused herself, leaving Dusk and Butterscotch alone.

“Dusk this is starting to really worry me. How can ponies simple seem to disappear?”

“I agree,” Dusk replied, folding up the paper. “I'm actually going to help with the investigation. If this is a magical phenomenon, the constables may find​use of my expertise.”

“Alright, but please be careful. All this missing ponies business has gotten me all on edge.”

“Don't worry Butters, I'll be fine​.” Dusk reassured with a smile.

“Butterscotch you have a visitor!” Blue Belle called from the front of the manor.

Butterscotch looked up then to Dusk as if to ask a question, but found Dusk as equally confused. They two of them set their tea aside and rose from their seats, with Butterscotch taking the lead.

As they rounded into the entryway of the home, Butterscotch was delighted to see a familiar face standing in the doorway.

“Rainbow Blitz!” He exclaimed, rushing over to the prismatic colored stallion, the two laughing as they embraced each other. He wore a light violet vest with beige undershirt, a light august bow tie around his neck, and two grey socks that he had worn holes in long ago. He wore his mane split down the middle, his bangs parted to keep them out of his eyes.

Rainbow chuckle as he ruffled Butterscotch's mane with his hoof. “Good to see you Butter-Ball!”

“Oh Rainbow Blitz, you're ruining his hair!” Blue Belle protested.

“Oh it's alright Blue, no harm done.” Butterscotch said with a light chuckle.

“Where have you been Butters? I haven't seen you since you left with Professor Egghead here for Geneighva.”

“Hey!” Dusk Shine said with a huff.

“Oh, I'm sorry Rainbow. I meant to send you a letter when I got back, but I guess I forgot…”

Rainbow smiled and waved his hoof dismissively. “Don't sweat it bud. I know you're busy. But if you're free now, how's about you and me head down to Sweet Apple Inn and catch up over a frothing mug of cider? I know Applejack would love to see you.”

“Don't you think it's a bit early to go drinking Blitz?” Blue Belle said in a deadpanned​, disapproving tone.

“Oh no, none of the hard stuff, that's for after lunch. Right Butterscotch?”

The little yellow stallion gave his dear adopted sibling a reassuring smile​. “Don't worry Blue, I'm just going to go catch up with Rainbow and Applejack. I'll be alright.”

Blue Belle gave him a sigh of consent in response. “Alright, but you two please be safe. I don't want either of you ending up in the next paper missing.”

Rainbow Blitz gave her a confident smirk as he wrapped his foreleg around his friend’s shoulders. “Don't worry about us, Butters and I can take on any would be pony napper. Right bud?”

“Umm… sure?” Butterscotch said with an uneasy smile.

Blue Belle gave a sigh and nodded, giving Butterscotch a hug and nuzzle on the cheek, “Alright. You two have fun. Please stay safe.”

“We’ll be alright.” Butterscotch said again as he and Rainbow Blitz began to trot down the sidewalk leading away towards their destination.

“Bye Blue, bye Dusk. I’ll be back soon.” He called back to them, waving his hoof.

Dusk and Blue Belle watched from the porch as the two stallions escaped their view. Blue Belle chewed her cheek anxiously; she couldn’t help but worry about Butterscotch. After all, he was the only family she really had left.

“Well, I hate to leave on that note, but I’m afraid I have an appointment with the constable's office.” Dusk said, settling his hat on his head, bidding Blue Belle adieu. “I’ll see you again soon.”

She nodded with a smile, “Of course. Hopefully you can help get to the root of these dreadful missing pony classes.”

“Likewise.” Dusk replied. “Good day.”

“Adieu.”

And with that, Dusk Shine took his leave. Blue Belle watched him go as they had both done for Rainbow and Butterscotch, but now she found herself alone. She bit her lower lip as she heard thunder rattling above. It gave her an ominous sensation in her gut that she couldn’t quite explain. Something just felt off…

Shaking her head, she turned around and stepped back inside her family home, closing the door behind her; locking it for good measure.

“Solaris, please keep them safe...”


A few hours later...

There was a raucous clatter in the Sweet Apple Inn as Rainbow Blitz set down his fifth mug of cider, taking a deep breath and chuckling to himself as he sat there next to his friend, who had rested his head in his hooves on the table. “Then I picked up a couple of coconuts and through them at the bartender!” He exclaimed laughing.

“Yeah! I know Rainbow! That was me you did that too.” Applejack hollered back from behind the counter. “That’s the last time I give you vodka and rum at the same time. Where in the heck darn did you find coconuts anyway!?”

“Please guys, not so loud.” Butterscotch pleaded, looking up from the table. “Ugh~! My head’s pounding. I’m never touching Zap-Apple Cider again.”

The Sweet Apple Inn was a modest establishment; a tavern and inn that had been passed down through the Apple Family for generations now, and had been the local hot spot for weary travelers to come and drown their sorrows or simply come with friends to rest, eat and have a drink together. Butterscotch and Rainbow had known Applejack for years now, and the three of them together had made some fond memories together there.

Rainbow chuckled a little at his friend’s expense, patting him on the shoulder. “Your such a light weight.”

“I’m supposed to. Pegasi have hollow bones to help us fly.”

Rainbow paused for a minute looking a little taken back by that comment. “I think you’ve been hanging out with Dusk Shine a little too much.”

“Speakin’ of which, how was the trip to Geneighva?” Applejack asked as he cleaned a mug with a wet towel. “Bet you had a heap load of fun up there with all those scientist folks and all their new crazy do-dads?”

Butterscotch sat up and rubbed his forehead, “It was alright… didn’t get a lot of sleep though.”

“You’re still having those nightmares?” Rainbow inquired, leaning in and propping himself up with his foreleg.

“Well… not anymore,” Butterscotch confessed. “Well… actually, yes, but they went away for a while. They started up again when we got back.”

“What made you stop having them?” Asked Rainbow, who had raised an eyebrow at this.

Butterscotch sat their for a moment as if trying to figure out how to explain to his friends. “Well… I did tell you about Eris right?”

“Oh yeah, that mysterious mare in distress you found on the side of the road with her little lucky in tow?” Rainbow said with and suggestive smile. “The way you talk about her, I’d dare say somepony has a little crush.”

Butterscotch's cheeks flushed with color, “No I don’t!” He retorted.

Rainbow could help but snicker at that, earning him a disapproving glare from Applejack. “Well anyway, what about her?”

“Well… she gave me a sleeping potion to help me with my nightmares. I haven’t slept better since… I wonder what was in it. Probably should have asked.” He sat there for a moment in silence, his two friends waiting patiently for him to continue. “I don’t know what it is but… she seemed so… mysterious… otherworldly. So…”

“Je ne sais quoi?” Rainbow suggested.

“Exactly!

“Come now, don’t y’all start speakin’ fancy on me.”

Butterscotch shook his head anxiously, “Whatever the case, I can’t help but shake this feeling. It feels very familiar, almost like something I forgot. It’s been bugging me for days now, and it gives me knots in my stomach whenever I think about it! And now we got all this trouble with ponies going missing? That certainly hasn’t helped.”

“What you mean Butters?” Applejack asked as he came around from behind the counter and took a seat next to him.

Butterscotch found himself without words, holding his breath as he tried to explain. “I’ve been having a… premonition… like something is coming. Something from my past… sweet Solaris, it’s been nagging at me since we got back!”

“Now don’t you get all worked up now, just take a deep breath.”

Butterscotch took his friend's advice and calmed himself.

“I’m sorry guys…” He sighed. “Also… I lost my father’s ring…”

“You what?!” Rainbow exclaimed.

Butterscotch nodded in response. “I think I may have left it at Eris’ estate back in Geneighva…”

“Have ya told Blue Belle?” Applejack inquired.

“No! I haven’t… I couldn’t! She’d hate me if I told her!”

“Oh Butterscotch she wouldn’t hate you.” Rainbow assured, “Yeah she’d be upset, but it was an accident, wasn’t it?”

“Well… yeah, but I still feel pretty bad…. that was our father’s ring! I feel so ashamed having lost it...”

“Don’t beat yourself up Butterscotch. You're a good stallion, I’m sure your dad and Blue would understand.”

Butterscotch nodded silently as he thought of his father and Blue Belle; remembering all the good times that had had together while he was still alive. He had deeply loved the stallion; it was because of him he had become the pony he was today. He had always dreaded letting him or Blue Belle down. However his contemplation was cut short when Rainbow pushed another mug of cider in front of him.

“Oh no, I shouldn’t,” he said, pushing the mug away. “I’ve already had way too much tonight.”

“Butterscotch you’ve only had half a glass.” Rainbow retorted with a deadpan stare. “Just relax and take your mind off things. Have a little fun. It’s just guys here.”

Butterscotch sighed as he took the glass in his hoof and brought it to his lips, giving it a quick swig before gasping for air, the strong taste making him shake his head, trying to adjust to the taste.

“That a boy!” Rainbow cheered.

He nodded as he took another sip, the flavor settling on his tongue. Little did he know that as they three of them drank, from across the tavern they were being watched by prying eyes. At the far end of the tavern, tucked away in a secluded booth, two ruby eyes watched them intently from the gloom, specifically on the little yellow-cream Pegasus sitting in the middle of them.

The figure broke it’s gaze and looked down at her hooves; a sliver ring resting in them; small flakes of fur and skin burning away as she held the metal.

“Soon my dearest, soon…”

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank Alyissa Hartwick for helping me on this chapter. ^^ Go show her some love guys.

And as always, please leave your thoughts in the comments bellow! :heart: