• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 829 Views, 9 Comments

Days of the Night - Petro



A story about a unicorn stallion who can only use magic during the night. And Pinkie Pie Parties.

  • ...
0
 9
 829

Family Values

Prepare for a sob story, I felt the need to write something sad because my late grandmom loved tragic stories. I love ya, Grandma Yowell, wherever you may be.

*Sniff* *Sniff*

Why do I smell smoke?

I awoke to a warm sensation on my back. It felt good at first, but hen it kept getting hotter and hotter until it was unbearable. Sweet Celestia! It feels like my tail is on fire! Opening my eyes, I realized that I was on the floor, but the couch I had been sleeping on was on the other side of the room. Looking behind me to find the source of obnoxious heat, I fell to a sudden realization. My tail was on fire. About five seconds later, I stood up, still on fire.

"AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!" I screamed, like a little filly at that.

"What in tarnation?!" I heard Applejack say as she descended the stairs.

"It BURNS!" Nice one, we have a genius here.

"Hold still, Ah'll go get some water!" She ordered as she made a mad dash out into the night to get a bucket of water.

Wait...It's nighttime?! I can use magic again! After my delayed discovery, I immediately used the small amount of magic I could conjure up to retrieve my water bottle from my saddlebags. I teleported some water out of the bottle and used telekinesis to hold a small orb of it in place. Then, I quickly ran the aquatic orb over the burning parts of my back and tail.

"Ah...Sweet relief" I said while sighing.

*CLUNK*

I quickly turned around to see Applejack staring at me with her jaw wide open, and an empty bucket whose contents were now all over the floor. Suddenly, the water-covered floor was enveloped in a midnight blue aura as I magic'd the water back into the bucket. Applejack ran over to me and caught me up in a bear-hug.

"Ow ow ow, burn! There's a burn there! Ow!" I squeaked out, my lungs crushed by the hug.

"Oops" she chuckled, releasing me from her iron grasp. "Ahm just so glad yer okay, Apple Bloom would have a fit if ya weren't. In the mornin' Ah'll take ya to Rarity's to fix up yer coat, tail, and vest."

"Wait, the Rarity? The one who designed Princess Cadence's dress? That Rarity?" I asked.

"Yes-sir-ee, she's one of mah best friends."

After hearing that little snippet of information, I just stood there, dumbfounded. I was going to meet Rarity, famous fashion designer, at her house. I almost squealed with joy. After a minute or two of small talk, Applejack asked the worst question possible.

"So, since I told ya 'bout mah family, what's yer's like?"

*Sigh* "Nonexistent." I replied flatly.

"Don't lie to me sugarcube, everypony's got a family."

"Not this pony. You see, the Sparkle family is made up of powerful unicorns, so when my parents discovered that I couldn't use magic, except during the night, they ostracized me. I was the family's only disappointment. After Twilight was accepted into Princess Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns, I was never allowed to meet any more family members when they came, or go to any reunions. After my parents died, they left me with nothing. And when I went to live with my uncle, he kicked me out and disowned me. I've been alone ever since, luckily, the nice folk of Trottingham came together and got me a nice house and a steady job working at the local farm. I really think that without the kindness of others, I wouldn't be here. I guess that I'm one of the few ponies left who hasn't forgotten just how I am tho have such a nice life." I stopped to let it sink in, but I guess it already had. Applejack was hugging me, her tears wetting my shoulder as I sat there stoically. I had taught myself to not show too much emotion, since when I was young, I learned that the school's bullies fed off of it.

As I reminisced about my past, I heard another set of tears falling. Looking around, I saw Apple Bloom and the red stallion, who I learned to be called Big Mac, standing at the foot of the stairs. Apple Bloom was crying her little eyes out and Big Mac had tears in his eyes, but refused to let them fall. I opened up my forelegs for a hug, and Apple Bloom came running into my grasp. As Apple Bloom and Applejack cried into my coat, I nodded to Big Mac, letting him know that' it's okay to cry, and he followed suit.

Eventually, Big Mac went back to sleep and Applejack fell asleep on my shoulder. Apple Bloom was still crying into my chest, gripping me in one of the most sincere hugs I've ever felt. Slowly, she looked up at me, her eyes red from crying so much, and said with a cracking voice,

"Please don't ever leave us."

"I wouldn't dream of it." I replied, feeling a single tear roll down my cheek as I got off of the couch, placing a now sleeping Apple Bloom on the couch next to Applejack and covering them with a blanket.

I looked over at them, as Apple Bloom snuggled next to Applejack, and slowly let myself cry. They had the one thing I had always wished for: A loving family.

Comments ( 3 )

So, the next chapter he will be off to Twilights?
I Do hope so

i don't know why but i found the "I nodded to Big Mac, letting him know that' it's okay to cry, and he followed suit." line funny

Login or register to comment