• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 978 Views, 10 Comments

The CHS Poltergeist - Will-o-Wisp



I'm not actually a ghost It's just the title I've been given and believe me when I say I've earned it but I wonder what old friends think of me now.

  • ...
1
 10
 978

We Are Still Here

Author's Note:

This chapter starts a week and three days (Sunday) after the last chapter.

"This Idea is stupid Striker," I say exhausted because my friend kept me up all night listing off different ideas on how to make up with the two other old friends in CHS, "where am I even going to get a trebuchet?"

"Internet."

"I doubt that." I say slightly annoyed, "Why do I need one anyway?"

"Well you said that you wanted to catch him by surprise and what better way then being launched out of a trebuchet into his house?" Striker said like the answer should have been obvious.

"Because of injuries Striker. That and I don't think Blast Furnace or his family would appreciate me putting a hole in their roof."

"They're a family of Blacksmiths and Engineers. I think they can handle a hole in their roof Firesprout."

"You're saying this like I'm going to do this."

"Well you didn't want to do any of my other plans so..." Striker paused when he looked at the clock, "How long have we been at this? That's 6:06 PM right?"

"Try AM airhead, we've been doing this all night." I close my eyes and lean back in my computer chair, "Also we started around 9 PM why would you think it's 6 PM?" I asked tired and bewildered. No response, "Striker?" I receive snoring as a response now, "Really? Well he's staying in that chair now," I say getting up and falling onto my bed a few feet away, "I don't care what the song says, there IS going to be rest for the wicked."


"MORNING" (if you call 1 PM morning) in the kitchen

"I can't believe you just let me fall asleep in that chair. Worst sleep ever," Striker stretched and glared at me, "Of all time."

"Not my fault. Someone put an invisible wall in my way." I muttered still half asleep.

"I'm texting Blast Furnace." Striker said pulling out his phone while glaring at me.

"WHAT?!"

"Well you didn't want to do any crazy ideas to catch him off guard so how about a simple text? No siege weaponry required although it would have been preferred." Striker seemed to really want that trebuchet idea to become reality.

"How about give me a bit of time to think about this? You can't just throw me into a situation like that."

"True but I really think you should make up with Blast and Smoke before the Fall Formal. Which is in... two weeks? No, that's not right. I know it's more than a week before Halloween. Speaking of Halloween, it's on a Monday which means school is happening, you planning anything?"

"Was thinking of having the sprinkler system rain fake blood on everyone but since I'm no longer doing whatever for shits and giggles I'll have to save that for another Halloween. This will be the first time I haven't made Halloween a nightmare for people."

"Cool, at this rate you might actually become a useful member of society someday," Striker said and turned his attention back to his phone, "still texting Blast though."

"Okay first, words hurt you know and second, like hell you are!" I utter before grabbing his phone.

Striker glared at me while saying, "Wow, don't you know it's rude to take people's stuff without asking?"

"Since walking up and talking to him is what I'm going with, I'm going to do it on my own terms."

"Fine." Striker looked at his phone unamused, "You deleted his number."

"Might have."

"I'll just ask Smoke for it." Striker stated but then put his phone down with a frown, "You deleted his number to."

I just gave him a mischievous grin and drank from a mug on the table.

"Isn't that coffee barely warm and gross?"

"Oh yeah, it's horrid." I say taking another drink.

"Why are you still drinking it?"


THE NEXT DAY AFTER SCHOOL IN THE LIBRARY

"No one should see me back here," I say pulling down my hood and mask, "Better already."

"You disappoint me." Striker said in a grouchy tone and glaring at me while sitting across from me, "Blast was a few feet from you and you just walked in the opposite direction." Striker was scolding me while taking out his own work.

"I disappoint a lot of people, it's like a hidden talent." I say looking at pages in my physics textbook, "I hate this class."

"I'd say your hidden talent is blowing things up and... uh changing subject."

"Please do."

Striker opened his mouth and said the most stupidest thing I ever heard, "Do you think there are alternate worlds? Parallel dimensions and things like that."

I stare at him dumbfounded, "Uh, I have no idea how to respond to that."

"Hey you wanted a change of subject besides now that I've said it, it's got me wondering."

"I mean anything is possible I guess but there is no evidence that I'm aware of."

"Wanna make a bet?"

"On alternate worlds?" I stare at my friend wondering why I'm still having this conversation.

"Yes." Striker said completely serious.

"Fuck it," I rub the sides of my head, "what exactly is the bet?"

"Simple, I bet there is alternate worlds and you bet that there isn't and winner gets whatever money the other has in his wallet at the time."

"Why are we having this bet?"

"Shits and giggles, besides it's not like we're ever gonna find out the outcome of this bet," Striker extends his hand, "So nothing to lose right?"

"Yeah I guess," I shake Strikers hand making the stupid bet official, "Now that we've wasted a good amount of time talking about complete nonsense can we get to work?"

"Sure thing." Striker looked down at his own homework, "How cool would it be if magic was real?"

"I'm gonna hit you if you continue spouting nonsense." I say completely dumbfounded at how my friend thinks of what he says sometimes.


THE NEXT DAY END OF SCHOOL

"Alright there he is Sprout," Striker was leaning in a little too close, "All you need to do is go talk to him. It's so simple Bulk Biceps can understand it."

"There are still students around Striker and you know that I'm not exactly an extrovert."

"Well he's about to leave for his part time job so It's now or until you walk up to him which can be a long time with you."

How can I describe Blast Furnace? Well he works as a Blacksmith so he does has a bit of muscle, a little under 6 foot, Maroon skin tone and the best damn afro ever. When did he start wearing a leather jacket? Questions for later, right now I need to work up the courage to talk to him and when you are socially challenged like me, that is gonna be difficult.

"Surely I can do this another time Striker."

"You could but I think when school ends is the best time."

I sigh and look at Striker, "Well I tried, back to the drawing board Striker."

"Oh for the love of," Striker grabbed me and dragged me toward him, "LET'S GO."

"Striker no."

"Striker yes! Hey Blast before you go, you need to have a chat!" Blast and everyone else in the hallway looked in our direction, all surprised. "Well I hope this goes well," Striker placed me in front of Blast and stepped back, "and start."

"You know I'm slightly upset you haven't come up to me sooner," Blast paused and stroked his chin, "so do I call you Poltergeist or..."

"Poltergeist," I say cutting him off, "don't ruin the mystery. Surprised Striker kept his mouth shut about my name this long."

"Yeah he wasn't always the brightest so that is surprising," Blast closed his locker and looked at me, "You know that you don't have to be all nervous, I'd be thrilled to get our little group together again. Although I do work part time at the forge now so that might get in the way a bit but I'm sure the family will understand in this case if I skipped out a couple of times."

"How come the both of you act like I didn't avoid you for this entire time? This is seriously aggravating and confusing me." I'm looking between Blast and Striker wondering who will answer.

"It's simply because we don't blame you for doing it Poltergeist. We are willing to patch things up and continue on like the group of jokers we were." How long was he standing there?

Striker turned around a bit startled, "Oh hey Smoke, someone should put a bell on you."