• Published 21st Jun 2016
  • 7,212 Views, 78 Comments

Let's Talk - TheTalentlessPony



After the events of 'Newbie Dash', Soarin goes to Rainbow Dash to chat. Something's been bothering him...

  • ...
10
 78
 7,212

Nighttime Therapy

Soarin rolled over tiredly in his bed for what seemed like the twentieth time that day. He knew he was tired - he'd always feel worn out after a show - and yet... he couldn't sleep.

It wasn't anything new to him though; insomnia and all. Still, he felt that it was different this time. His mind was just racing with so many thoughts. The days since Rainbow Dash had become a Wonderbolt weren't usual days. Though, was that even Rainbow Dash? Her flight patterns had been... so off and jagged.

Something had been wrong, and he felt his gut twist with guilt. He didn't know why. She was acting on her own accord; it's not like he told her to add to the routine, so why?

Her moment of self-doubt replayed itself in his mind, and he rolled over in bed in hopes to alleviate it, though to no avail.

"It's been my dream my whole life, but... I guess maybe I'm not Wonderbolt material after all."

That's not true...

He hated how choked up he felt at the memory. It was just a moment of feeling down on herself, so why? Why!?

...Maybe because it was his fault?

The twisting got worse at the thought, and he threw the covers off of himself, annoyed at his own anxiousness. Why would it be his fault? What did he do?

What did they do?

The team. The Wonderbolts. Something happened that made Rainbow Dash falter. Something bad. He'd seen her flight capabilities, and what he saw was nothing more than poor flying. That wasn't Rainbow Dash.

He walked out to his kitchen, pulling the fridge door open with a wing and scanning its contents. Some chili, a slice of pie, and some assorted condiments. Not much, but he'd been eating more to keep up his strength for the more frequent routines and practices.

Humiliated...

He remembered the sight of every bandage along Rainbow's body. It was hard to forget. She must've been in pain.

And I didn't do anything to stop her.

He'd wanted to. He'd wanted so badly to try, but then Spitfire placed her hoof on him before he could move.

I should've moved anyway. If I had, she wouldn't be...!

His inhaled sharply, slamming the fridge door shut, so hard that it shuddered. This was just like him. Spitfire always said that he was too soft; he cared far too much and wasn't nearly aggressive enough for general Wonderbolt standards.

But why did it have to be that way? It was a part of who he was. Even now, laughing at Rainbow Dash in the trash can still left a few stings in his heart. Why did he have to follow everypony else? Why did he feel the constant need to copy others?

He breathed a small sigh, sitting down and leaning against the fridge, the coldness radiating off of it and chilling his cheek.

The night sky was beautiful as always - Luna did a particularly good job this time - but he couldn't appreciate it.

His mind drifted back to Rainbow Dash. Well, honestly, it never drifted away. Was she still upset? Her nervousness even after Spitfire confirmed that she was still part of the team was fresh in his mind.

...I wonder if she's still there. Cleaning, all by herself.

The air was still, and all he could hear was his own breathing and the quiet rumbling noises the fridge would make. Though looking like a ragdoll as he did it, he lazily pulled himself away. He got back on all four hooves, moving over to his cupboards and searching their contents.

Inside one of them, a lunchbox. This would do.

He went back to the fridge, opening it and pulling out the plate that held the slice of pie. He lowered himself, opening the lunchbox as it laid on the floor and putting the plate of pie inside. He shut the fridge with his backleg, then closed the lunchbox and picked it up in his forearms, holding it almost protectively to his chest. He didn't want it to tip over or spill out. His wings flapped, and he left through the window.

He'd get in so much trouble if Spitfire found out he was doing this. She told everyone, specifically him, to stay away from Rainbow Dash until she returned to the compound the following morning. She told him that this was enforcing the lesson and she'd deal with anyone who tried to disobey it.

He knew, but for once, he didn't care.


He arrived at the area, the dirt being pressed down by his hooves as he landed. He set the lunchbox down, then scanned the area for Rainbow Dash. He knew he saw a spot of light blue as he was flying overhead, so—

Ah.

There she was. Sound asleep, her head resting awkwardly on a bucket of water while a broom lay beside her. The area still wasn't clean, so he imagined that she'd drifted off from exhaustion. He got closer, noticing her looking somewhat disheveled. And... had she been crying? He wasn't sure; something about her closed eyes didn't strike him right, perhaps because she seemed disturbed in her sleep. A nightmare?

His eyes trailed down her body, each bandage exactly where he remembered them, though more dirty from all the sweeping she'd probably been doing. He hoped nothing would get infected.

Still, if Spitfire came by and saw her asleep before the job was done, she'd be in serious trouble, and he didn't want that.

He reached a hesitant hoof towards her, shaking her lightly.

"Rainbow Dash?"

Her body jolted up on attention as she gasped, Soarin jumping back in fright at the suddenness of it.

"I-I wasn't sleeping! I—" She stopped, panting slightly, a bit of sweat going down her face.

"Are you okay?" It was a stupid question, but one he felt the need to ask.

"H-huh?" Rainbow Dash instantly shot him a smug grin. "Y-yeah, of course! I was just making sure the water was clean enough and stuff, y'know?" She tried to pose, but it only succeeded in knocking the bucket over, water spilling out everywhere. She seemed unusually frustrated at this, only giving a quick glance at Soarin before looking away. He figured she knew he wasn't supposed to be here.

"...You hungry?" Soarin asked. He saw Rainbow Dash tilt her head slightly, ear flickering, but she still faced away from him. "I brought a slice of pie?"

A sudden loud growl emerged from her stomach. She attempted to quell it, but to no avail. Soarin wondered if she missed dinner.

"T-thanks, but I'm not allowed."

"I know."

He trotted a ways back and nudged the lunchbox over to her with his snout. "I won't tell Spitfire or the others, don't worry." He clicked it open, and Rainbow Dash was practically drooling as she turned around to look at the dessert.

Though, her gaze towards him gave him a sense that she was wary, confirming his suspicions; whatever was wrong, it had to do with him in some way.

Still, Rainbow Dash bent over and took a bite of the pie, a soft "mm" leaving her throat as she took a few more.

"This is really good!"

Soarin smiled proudly. "It's my dad's recipe! Glad you like it."

With half of the slice still left, Rainbow Dash licked her lips and closed the lunchbox back up, probably to save it for later. She paused, and her expression slowly dropped as she stared over at Soarin with suspicion. "So... what's this about?"

He'd expected that question, though he didn't have a solid response planned out. After a small pause on his part, he decided to be straightforward about it.

"Rainbow Dash... what happened?"

Her eyes went wide, but even as she tried to hide it, she was bad at it. She knew exactly what he was talking about.

Soarin frowned. "You haven't been yourself. I don't know you all that well, but when I said you were the most talented flyer, I meant it. Every pegasus has a bad day every now and then where they just can't seem to get it going, but you..."

"...You really wanna know?" Her voice was laced with bitterness, but he could feel the sadness underneath it.

So there really was a reason.

He felt a bit of pride for getting things right, but it still concerned him how downcast she suddenly looked. "Yeah."

"And you won't just let it go and forget all this happened, huh?"

He shook his head in response. "We're friends, aren't we? And I know you're probably mad at me for something. I want to fix it."

She blinked, surprised at his words, then averted her gaze to the ground.

"You know that nickname you guys gave me? H-heh, of course you do; it's all I've been hearing for the past two days."

Soarin just nodded, not wanting to say it out loud. There were times when he himself didn't approve of the nickname system, but he never imagined that someone like Rainbow Dash would be affected by it, if that were the case.

"When I was a filly, way before I got my cutie mark, I wasn't such a great flyer. I mean, I always said I flew well, but I never actually meant it. Then, one day at flight school, I messed up and... landed in a garbage can."

Recognition flashed in Soarin's eyes for a second, a small jolt going up his spine.

"Then I got the name 'Rainbow Crash', and everyone started laughing. Even... even the teacher laughed..."

Soarin let out a soft gasp as the pieces of his internal puzzle came together. He had triggers of his own that reminded him of his past. He understood. "S-so, the name we gave you..."

"It was the same one, yeah. The same one that those bullies used on me for the years afterwards. I dropped out of flight school because I was so sick of it, and decided to train myself."

Rainbow Dash lightly poked the ground with her hoof, brought back down into the land of misery from bringing up her past, especially to a Wonderbolt of all ponies. She waited for some sort of sarcastic response, but as the silence dragged on and she got nothing, her eyes were drawn up to meet his.

His gaze was full of sympathy, his eyes watering. "Why didn't you just tell us?"

Her cheeks burned with embarrassment. She didn't want his pity! "I-I could hardly admit it to my friends, much less you guys! I was already being called 'Rainbow Crash'; I didn't want to be called a wimp too!"

Her eyes squinted, mild anger in her expression as she averted her gaze. "Besides, do you really think Spitfire would've done anything about it since this is the Wonderbolts' 'system'?"

Soarin wished he had a positive response for her, but he didn't. Spitfire probably would've gone on about how no one was to get special treatment, no matter what they went through. There was no way.

Rainbow Dash continued. "Let's face it. No matter what I would've said, it wouldn't have changed a thing. I thought that, by doing something awesome or not being myself, I could just get a new nickname. Goes to show how stupid I really am..." Her ears drooped. "I was always unlucky. Go figure that I'd land perfectly in a garbage can both times."

The guilt twisting in his gut was back. A front; how could he have not seen it before? With Rainbow Dash's personality, of course she'd hide any pain. Of course she'd put on a brave face.

Of course...

He got close and sat down next to her, gazing up at the sky. "...I won't call you that then."

Rainbow Dash jerked her head over to him. "Excuse me?"

"Spitfire wouldn't change it, you're right. But... our nicknames are supposed to be jabs for fun. Yours isn't." He felt his body grow a few degrees colder as his gaze fell to the dirt. "It hurts to be called that for you, right? Just because they don't mean it in an aggressive way doesn't mean it can't hurt."

She fell silent at his words.

"Not everyone can get over stuff from the past so easily. I used to get called 'Sore-in' when I was a colt because I was such a bad flier, so I was usually injured or 'sore' in some way every time I came to class. I had to sit out a lot because of it. No teacher ever defended me for it because it was practically the same as my actual name; it was too hard to tell. Still... I never got over it."

It was Rainbow's turn to be sympathetic, feeling like her heart was stabbed as a single tear rolled down Soarin's cheek. "That really happened?"

"Yeah. I got beat up and knocked around occasionally too, but it was too hard to prove since I was so clumsy in the first place. Everyone else assumed I was trying to save face from some screw-up I had while flying."

"Oh..."

It wasn't Rainbow Dash's forte to comfort others. Most of the time, she just made things worse. It wasn't like she didn't want to be of help; she was simply bad at it. She'd helped Scootaloo a few times, but what good was that to her name when she could hardly help herself with her own issues?

Soarin went on. "As easy as it is for ponies to say that you can just get over your past if you want to, it's not that simple, and tough love doesn't work for everyone."

Rainbow Dash nodded in understanding. "Yeah, I know. I mean, back when I had to get a team together to get the water up to Cloudsdale, I tried being tough on Fluttershy so she'd get over her own past. It didn't work out too well; she ended up working things out on her own in the end."

"Oh? ...Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that," Soarin said, a hoof at his snout as he recalled the event. A small chuckle suddenly left his throat. "Spitfire was there, right? She's so impatient. I bet she was just checking her watch the whole time."

Rainbow Dash managed a snort. "And how! I almost thought she was a statue; she hardly moved from her spot even when our tornado broke apart!"

Soarin smirked. "You think that's bad? You should see her when she's in her office stamping autographs! She'll be in there for hours at a time!"

"You're tellin' me! Back when I was in the academy, I went into her office and she had this huge stack there! She even kept stamping while I was talking!"

"That's so Spitfire!"

The two pegasi burst into laughter right out of the blue, nearly buckling over from the good time they were suddenly having.

Rainbow Dash wiped a tear from her eye, trying to calm down, then stared over at Soarin.

A moment later, her hoof came in contact with his.

"I'm not mad at you, y'know."

A surge of heat rushed through Soarin's body from her words, making him smile. "Thanks. Still though, I feel pretty bad."

"Hey, don't worry about it. That just means you're sorry, right? So, what do I have to be mad about?"

His smile widened, a light blush crossing his cheeks. "Fair enough."

He looked around, seeing the mess that Rainbow Dash hadn't finished cleaning up. How long had she been here, he wondered, cleaning up all by herself?

"...Wait here for a second and don't do anything, okay?"

Rainbow Dash tilted her head, confused at the sudden question, but Soarin was already up in the sky.

"I'll be right back! You can finish the pie while I'm gone!"

He flew off at a decently fast speed. Not quite in a hurry, but definitely not taking his time either. Rainbow Dash didn't entirely understand what he was up to, but still, she felt a sudden sense of trust in him, so she waited.


It wasn't long before Rainbow Dash noticed Soarin's familiar colors flying back towards her. He fluttered to the ground, and she was quick to notice the broom in his forelegs.

"What's that for?"

He gave a cheeky grin. "It's for cleaning, of course!"

Rainbow Dash tried to pout, though a small giggle escaped her. "I know that! I mean, what are you doing with it here?"

"You shouldn't be cleaning this place by yourself, especially since you're injured. So, I'm going to help you."

"You're going to get in major trouble if Spitfire finds out," Rainbow Dash warned, not wanting Soarin to get caught up in her mistakes. "I'm supposed to do it myself to enforce my lesson."

He knew that Spitfire put those words in Rainbow Dash's mouth, so he merely widened his grin. "Hey, don't worry about it. You feel sorry, don't you? So, what's the point of 'enforcing' a lesson you already learned?"

It didn't take long for her to realize that her own words were being used against her, but she sighed and gave him a smile, knowing he wouldn't give up on the matter. "Fair enough."

"Besides, she doesn't understand what all led up to this. She wouldn't either. If I'm going to get caught, then that's fine by me."

The two began to clean, Rainbow Dash feeling grateful that she had someone she could relate to. Soarin mostly stuck to anything up in the air that had to be taken care of, as Rainbow Dash's wings were somewhat stiff, though they still kept in good conversation, talking about anything and everything they could think of to help pass the time. They were practically still working at the same pace as Rainbow Dash was on her own, since they constantly stopped to make a side-comment or look at each other, but it was much more fun than doing it with no one else there.

"...Soarin?"

"Yeah, Dash?" He glanced over at Rainbow Dash as he fixed one of the fallen flags.

"I was wondering, why did you want to become a Wonderbolt? I guess everyone has their own reasons, so what was yours?"

"Oh, is that all? That's easy, I—" He stopped mid-sentence. Why did he become a Wonderbolt?

"Well, I guess..." he faltered somewhat, struggling for a legitimate answer, "it was just that everyone looked up to them and they seemed so cool. I wanted to be that too."

She didn't say it out loud, but that had been Rainbow Dash's reasoning too. "And... you're happy with it, right?"

"Happy? Uh, yeah, I guess." He knew that answer wasn't reassuring. "...Honestly, I was surprised when I heard you wanted to become a Wonderbolt so badly."

"What do you mean by that?" Rainbow Dash asked skeptically.

Soarin didn't answer at first, finishing up the string of flags he'd been working on before landing back down in front of Rainbow Dash. "See this cutie mark?"

She glanced down at Soarin's flank as he shifted. She remembered it well enough; a lightning bolt going through a purple cloud. "What about it?"

"You'd never guess my talent just by watching me perform in Wonderbolt shows. I'm really tolerant of thunder and lightning; I can bust through lightning clouds like no one's business and even do awesome tricks with the lightning flowing behind me."

Rainbow Dash's eyes nearly sparkled at the mental image. "I bet that looks amazing!"

Soarin averted his gaze, a sad smile on his face. "Yeah, but Spitfire would never have it. It's her team, so any suggestions usually get pushed to the wayside. I haven't busted up a lightning cloud in so long." He sighed. "Everything has to be synchronized in the Wonderbolts. That's why our outfits cover our cutie marks; we're supposed to 'flow as one unit' or something like that. The only ways to tell us apart are our manes and tails."

"...Y-yeah. I see what you mean," Rainbow Dash replied, nodding. She'd never thought about it before, but he was right. Spitfire immediately shot down her offer on making the routine better to make her clean the entire compound. The Sonic Rainboom, the Buccaneer Blaze... she'd never be able to do anything that no one else could do in the Wonderbolts; it'd make her stand out.

"It's nice having a team to have your back and all," Soarin admitted, though his expression didn't match his words, "but only as long as they always have it, which isn't the case here. You saw it yourself; no one tried to save you when you were crashing after the routine. I'd wanted to, but..."

"Spitfire stopped you, thinking that I deserved it or something?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry." He didn't have the strength to look at Rainbow Dash whenever he recalled the moment. He didn't feel worthy to look her in the eyes; he was only now realizing that there were other times he hadn't treated her well too.

"...Sometimes, I wonder if I made the right choice. I wonder if maybe there's something better for me that I could do."

She went silent at that. She'd never seen a Wonderbolt so doubtful of, well, being a Wonderbolt. And from Soarin? It was almost surreal.

She looked down, then slid the lunchbox over to him. "Here, you have the rest." She smiled. "I want you to have it."

He blinked at her, slightly confused, but smiled back and ate up the rest of the pie in a few quick bites, promptly patting his stomach.

"You really need your own team, Rainbow Dash. You'd make a great leader."

"What? You think so?" she asked, raising a brow.

"Well, yeah! I mean, you might have your flaws, but you were lead pony in the academy and led the ponies to help make the water tornado to Cloudsdale for a reason, right?"

She became slightly embarrassed at the compliment, but he wasn't wrong. "Yeah, that's true."

"What would a flight team you led be like?" Soarin asked, smiling wide.

"A flight team led by me?" Rainbow Dash hummed as she thought about it. What would she do with her own selection of pegasi behind her?

"I'd probably have a super cool flight team that focused on each pony's special talent. Maybe some of the act they'd do together, but for the most part, each pegasus would have something different to do. They'd have similar outfits, I guess, but not covering their whole body, and they'd have their own little touches so it's even easier to know who's who. Then I'd try to have some sort of system for pegasi who can't fly, so they could have a role of their own too." An orange filly with purple hair came to mind instantly.

Soarin didn't even have a response. She had such great ideas.

That should be what the Wonderbolts are like...

"Thing is though..." Rainbow Dash sighed. "I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd need at least one pegasus by my side before I could even think of doing something so crazy."

"You've already got one," Soarin said immediately, his hoof touching hers.

She blinked. "Seriously?"

"Yeah, seriously, let's do it!" His eyes practically lit up. "It's such a great idea; everything I ever wanted the Wonderbolts to be like!"

It took Rainbow Dash a moment to process exactly what was going on. Were the words coming out of her mouth really the truth? She just insulted Spitfire with another Wonderbolt and now she was talking like she was going to just leave and start her own flight team? It was crazy talk!

And yet, when she stared into Soarin's green eyes, she didn't feel guilty, bad, or even regretful. Just a brimming confidence that they could actually do this if they really wanted to.

"Y-yeah? Yeah! And, and maybe they could have a really awesome name, like..." she jumped up, spreading her limbs out, "the Soaring Dashers!"

Soarin blushed slightly at Rainbow Dash using his name there, but her excitement was rubbing off on him. "Hehe, we'll call it a work-in-progress title for now."

"We're bound to think of some more while we finish up here. Come on!"

Soarin grinned, watching Rainbow Dash trot off back to her broom. He'd never seen someone so excited to clean before.

They continued chitting and chatting about potential names and any other fun ideas they might've had for their flight team. Even though it was obviously not right to talk about making a new flight team while already being in one, there was an odd sense of satisfaction that came from breaking Spitfire's rules.

They'd worn themselves out so much by the end of their cleaning session that they barely had enough energy to flap their wings. They had just been so energetic, with their bouncing around and talking so excitedly about their future plans.

Soarin let out a yawn. "Doubt I'd make it home this exhausted. You?"

"H-hm?" Rainbow Dash was barely awake as well. Her second wind had worn off.

"Do you live close by? Think you could make it?"

She yawned. "Prob'ly not..."

Soarin looked around, then caught sight of a bench in the distance. "That'll do for tonight."

Rainbow Dash followed tiredly, getting up on the bench with Soarin and lying down. It wasn't the comfiest thing in the world, but it was better than the ground.

"...Warm enough?" Soarin asked, though his voice seemed hesitant.

She took a moment to respond, her wings shifting about, probably to test the wind chill factor. "A little? It's kinda chilly, but I'm usually wrapped up in my blanket at home, so—"

Her words halted as Soarin shifted over next to her, his wing moving around her back. He smiled, doing it slowly to give her as much opportunity to pull away as possible, but she never did.

Too tired to act like she was too cool to need his warmth, she leaned against him, Soarin flushing up noticeably, having not expected her to do that. Still, he couldn't say it was a bad feeling. The wind was calm, and the sound of little critters and insects moving about was strangely relaxing.

"...Luna did a good job tonight," Rainbow muttered, starting to drift off with her slightly open eyes looking towards the sky.

Soarin looked out too, recalling earlier when he wasn't able to appreciate it. Since she mentioned it now, he couldn't help wondering... had she struggled to appreciate it too, just when he did?

He smiled softly, leaning back against her. She was warm, her relaxed breath wafting against his fur.

"I think so too."

Comments ( 77 )

This is probably the cutest thing I've ever read. I love it so much :heart:

One word: Cute.:rainbowkiss:
And Spitfire is such a [censored].:ajbemused:

So cute!! I love how you wrote Soarin' here and as for the future team, there needs to be a story on its own for Soarin and Rainbow dash's team slowly usurping the status quo of the current Wonderbolts!

Cute! :raritystarry:

Ya know, this could be a great story if you ever decide to continue! Soarin and Dash making their own flight team, that is.

7325651
Ahhh! :twilightblush: Thank yoooou! I try my best to make things fun and cute; this story idea actually hit me all at once, so it was like, I just had to write it, especially after seeing Newbie Dash, which is an episode I honestly can't stand.

7325801
Ugh, no kidding. :ajbemused: After Newbie Dash, she became my least favorite character in the entire show. Most punchable face in all of Equestria, I tell ya. :flutterrage:

7325822
Gosh, I wish I had the attention span to write a full story on that, because that'd be so satisfying!

I'm actually making a rant video on Newbie Dash and another fic idea I had for the episode (that I wouldn't write myself) is a tragedy where Rainbow Dash actually dies in the accident where she's flung around since no one saved her, then the Wonderbolts learn why she's been acting this way and feel bad. Dunno if Spitfire would care honestly though. :applejackunsure:

7326003
If I didn't have such a short attention span, I definitely would!

The idea actually came from when I finished watching the Newbie Dash episode and started realizing how not-good for Rainbow Dash the Wonderbolts are. I mean, she enjoys hearing her name shouted, but it'll never happen because she's just "part of a unit" now, and their hairstyles are so similar that if they make her do the same, she'll never stand out like she wants. Being a standout flier is what she's good at!

7326243 Think of it this way. It won't improve unless you do something about it. And if you keep on writing stories and keep practising, it will improve, won't it?
Key word: Practice

To be honest, I agree. And I can definitely see Soarin being the first member. I've only seen one other person have the idea though and they only wrote two chapters. But I think it'd be a great idea for her to do it.

7326291
Y-yeah. It's just I have some mental disorders that make the struggle of writing longer stories even more difficult.

I'm honestly shocked at how few people do anything with the whole team idea or even consider it. I mean, once you really think about, Rainbow Dash is completely wrong for a team like the Wonderbolts! It kinda blew my mind after I realized it once the Newbie Dash episode passed.

Let's Talk

Okay. What about?

7326314 You just gotta put in some more effort and go from there.

I totally agree!

7326178 Honestly I feel the same way about Newbie Dash, mostly because of the cringe comedy. The message wasn't the greatest either: if someone gives you a mean nickname, just roll with it because it's "tradition" or "in good fun." A joke's only funny if everyone's laughing.

I would love to see this expanded on. It was so cute, I want more :twilightsheepish:

Adorable!!! YOU HAVE GOTTA BE LIKE, THE BEST WRITER EVER!!! Do you have any other Soarin and Dash fics? Im a HUGE shipper on those 2! :rainbowwild:

7326228 I know, I think the Wonderbolts have been shown to be complete uptight and self-centered jerks to some degree. In the words of Fire Brand 'They're either incompetent, jerks, or incompetent jerks'.

but how would you put the rise of Dash's and Soarin's team. As a basic summery?

7326372
Yeah, me too. I hate cringe comedy with a burning passion and it was clear that the writers just wanted to make it as "funny" as possible while completely humiliating poor Dashie.
And yeah. It's like, I wonder how this feels to those with mental disorders who would struggle even more than Dash did in this situation.

If I ever feel inspired/motivated enough to write more, I will! ^^

7326412 I look forward to your next story, whether it be SoarinDash or something else :twilightsmile:

7326376
Nah, I don't. It's just this one and Flying Blind.

7326204 Eh in my own view Spitfire is the most "Gibb Slappable" pony in MLP Most punchable (of alleged protagonists) is Starlight Glimmer, starting an anti cutie mark cult and meddling with time all because she never heard of something called the postal system? Even threatening to keep up the destructive time cycle until Twilight talked her down even though she saw the destruction?

7327231
Yeah, I hate Starlight Glimmer as well. Cutie Re-mark is my least favorite two parter, after all. It's just because Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony I suppose that I hate Spitfire more.

This WAS SO GOOD

7326457 Awww:fluttershysad:Whateves! BTW what story do u think I should read next? Do u know any cool SoarinDash Fics? If yes plz tell me the title!! And which one of ur stories do u think I should read next? Plz tell me I have too many to choose from! :pinkiehappy:

7328404
Oh my gosh, thank you! ;u; This episode just really hit me in a bad place and I wanted to write this to "fix" it.

7328878
Thanks! Your comment is SO GOOD! ;3

7328947
Nah, I don't know of any other SoarinDash fics. I don't search for them often.

As for my fanfics, erm... I would recommend either Prosopoanothenphobia, my Big Macintosh X Fluttershy fanfiction, or Tickling Somepony's Fancypants, my Fancypants X Rarity fanfiction. The Rarity one is one I personally like, but I think it's my least-liked fanfiction. Statistically speaking, More Than Trust (Discord X Fluttershy) and I DisPiez U (Discord X Pinkie Pie) are my most popular, but it's up to you what you read.

7328995
Okay! Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check your stories out! Oh and Ive been wanted to ask you what's ur favorite ship?

7329556
My favorite ship? Hm... I don't have one, I suppose. I like quite a few, but I wouldn't be able to pick one as my favorite.

7329697 Mkay! Nice talking to you!

So I'm not the only guy who duly noted that Spitfire doesn't even act like a particularly responsible Commanding Officer?

Good! Liked and faved!

7332417
Thanks!

Honestly, the scene where Rainbow Dash crashes and fails at adding onto the routine just makes me go mad. Not just because of the plotholes, but Spitfire is supposed to be the leader, isn't she? She needs to take responsibility for not doing her freaking job and keeping Rainbow Dash's emotions in check, but we get nothing.

7333041
I was thinking more about how she doesn't care enough about endangering enlisted trainees until Rainbow chewed her out for this, and how she was more than willing to abandon Soarin' for the sake of getting RD.

This isn't bad leadership. This is beyond bad leadership. In military organizations of most developed countries, this is illegal. In any well-operated military organization, Spitfire would be promptly court-martialed and subsequently dishonorably discharged.

7333058
Yeah, for real! She's done so many bad things!

She's just... I can't stand her. Least favorite character, easily. She's a character we're supposed to like but I just want to punch her every time she's on-screen. D:<

7333070
It's kinda like how we're supposed to hate Trixie and Blueblood, but Trixie just struck me as doing her job (until she came back) and Blueblood, if nothing else, is at least funnier than he was probably supposed to be. We're supposed to think Spitfire is focused and competent, but I've had enough experience with military organizations to tell you that she is incompetent and a crook. I'm actually writing a story that depicts her under similar terms as the Pointy-Haired Boss from Dilbert and General Melchett from Blackadder.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how horrible of a commander Spitfire is. RD has mild PTSD, so her mistreatment can be punishable by law.

Are you planning on sequel were they create there own flying team?

Comment posted by TheTalentlessPony deleted Jun 24th, 2016

7333133
To be fair, there is one great reason to defend it: The origin of callsigns. Almost all callsigns are inside-jabs at those who bear them. I don't condemn Spitfire for letting RD have a seemingly humiliating callsign, since she didn't know the significance of it to RD and since that's normal in military organizations. I condemn Spitfire for breaking the law.

7333115
Yeah. For me, Spitfire is the worst because she's just all kinds of bad. She's a bad leader, a bad coach, and just a bad character in general. Even the other Wonderbolts just stare at Rainbow Dash with amusement every time she gets HURT. If it was just silly things, like Rainbow Dash being clumsy and knocking some books over (NOT on herself though), I wouldn't care, but she crashes and hurts herself. Soarin is the most redeemable because he asks Rainbow Dash if she was okay at first (Fleetfoot tried to reassure Rainbow Dash a little after, but SHE'S the one who came up with the nickname in the first place), but Spitfire is UNredeemable in every sense of the word.

7333149
Yeah, I understand the callsigns and such, though I don't think it was executed well (I am biased though because I was bullied in the past so their general looks are going to cause suspicions from me as to if it's amusement or just being mean). I'm actually making a review/rant of Newbie Dash in general (pointing out logical/visual flaws and all that), so it's nice hearing more input on the matter.

7333158

Exactly what I was thinking! Soarin is my second favorite male character, and when I say second I mean close second.

So are you going to do a sequel were they make there own flight teem?

7333233
Oops! Sorry, forgot to reply to that part. XD

Mmm, I want to, but I'd want to put my own ideas behind it and I don't think I have the knowledge on the subject to do so.

7333236

Maybe a you should colab with someone.

7333314
I'd need to warm up to the idea first. Collabs I've done so far (not fanfictions, just generally) haven't gone well.

7333320

You just need to find the right person. Maybe I could colab with you. It would get me back to writing.

7333347
I'll think about it. I might consider bouncing ideas off of you if nothing else.

7333354

Fine by me. just PM me when ever.

While this WAS a sweet story, and SoarinDash is the only Dash pairing I actually ship, I can't favorite it.
Mostly because, unlike most people in the comments here, I actually don't mind the behavior of Spitfire, or the Wonderbolts as a whole.

On top of that, I actually consider Newbie Dash to be both the third best episode of the season (but if I were to write out the rankings, it would be second best, since No Second Prances and A Hearth's Warming Tail are tied for first) AND RD's second best episode overall (her best being Tanks for the Memories). Heck, I think the episode only had one cringey scene in it, and it just so happened to also be one of the funniest scenes of the entire series.

Plus, I don't really see RD or Soarin leaving the team, unless the team as a whole disbands. Especially not RD, who worked so hard to even join it in the first place.

7333959
To be fair, Spitfire didn't do much wrong in the latest episode. I'm mostly just thinking about her actions in Wonderbolt Academy and Rainbow Falls.

Login or register to comment