• Published 22nd Jun 2016
  • 2,412 Views, 53 Comments

Con Sordina, an Octavia & Vinyl Story - TheOneAJ



A mare who rarely spoke, and a mare who never had a voice.

  • ...
4
 53
 2,412

chapter 4, this is home?

“How did I miss that?” Octavia squeaked as she looked at the place the silent unicorn called ‘home’.

It was a one story cottage, painted half in a normal house brown color, while the other, was a bright purple. Going right down the middle, ending at the door.

“Huh,” she approached the front door and lightly tapped on it. After about ten seconds of no response, she knocked again and the door opened immediately.

Vinyl answered, her face inexpressive as always. When she saw Octavia outside her door, she gave her an unusually wide smile.

Octavia gulped. “Um, hi. Vinyl Scratch, right?”

Vinyl nodded.

“Yes, well,” she pulled out the headphones. “You left these at the store.”

Beaming, Vinyl levitated them out of Octavia’s hoof and placed them around her neck.

“Bon Bon also wanted me to pay you for the time you worked in the shop.” She searched through her bag till she pulled out the bag of bits and held it out. “Here.”

Vinyl’s face fell flat as she looked at the bag. She reached forward, touched the bag, and pushed it back.

Octavia’s eyes widened. “No, please, you’ve earned it.” She pushed the pouch forward.

Vinyl pushed it back towards Octavia.

“Oh please take it.” Octavia shoved it forward.

Vinyl pushed it back.

Octavia pushed the pouch forward and glared. “You know you could have gotten me into trouble today?”

Vinyl smirked and pushed the pouch back.

“So just take it and we can leave this behind us!” Octavia put more force into the push.

Grinning, Vinyl pushed back with more force.

Octavia's eyes narrowed. “Why, you…” She closed her eyes. “Fine.” With that she pulled back the pouch. “You win.”

Vinyl frowned and raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, clearly there is nothing I can do—” Bag in her mouth, she then flung the pouch over Vinyl’s head and into her house. Victory, until Vinyl caught it with her magic, and levitated it back into Octavia’s hoof.

Octavia fell on her hunches and screamed in anger.

Vinyl, meanwhile, was laughing as loud as she could at the spectacle. Banging her hoof on the doorframe while wiping away a tear.

Octavia looked up and shook her head. “Oh you insufferable—”

Vinyl placed a hoof on Octavia’s chin. Then, with a smile, she levitated the pouch onto a nearby table in her house.

Rubbing her eyes a few times, Octavia tried to maintain an annoyed posture. But as frustrating as it was, she had found their little act amusing.

“In any case,” Octavia said, clearing her throat, “I never got a chance to thank you.” She turned her head away. “I’ve never played in front of anypony before.I did not realize it could feel so… so…” she looked t Vinyl, who only smiled . “Yes, I suppose just that.”

Vinyl then scooted aside, gesturing to the inside of her home

octavia realized she had say, and a whole day to do whatever she wanted, and nothing else she really wanted to do as she looked past Vinyl. “Oh! Um… I’ve never done this before, but…” Her breathing started to become irregular.

Vinyl frowned, before Octavia answered. “You sure? Wouldn’t want to intrude if you were in the middle of something.”

Vinyl smiled and shook her head, gesturing towards her home again.

“Well… Alright then.”

Vinyl beamed as Octavia made her way inside.

Just as the outside was split down the middle, the inside seemed much more so. Apart from one half of the house being painted grey while the other was purple, it seemed as if half the house was fighting to be neat and organized, while the other half wanted nothing more than chaos.

Pizza boxes, socks, hayburger bags and music sheets littered the floor and counters. Although, if one looked closely, one could see the order in the mess. It seemed as if each of the piles of trash had its reason to why it should have been somewhere. As when Octavia leaned in, she saw a few of the trash had scribbles and music notes on them.

Curious, Octavia reached out a hoof to touch them. Before she could, Vinyl rushed in and pushed her hoof away.

“Sorry!” Octavia shrieked, backing away.

Vinyl’s glare turned into a frown and she lowered her head.

Octavia sighed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to disturb.”

Vinyl held up a hoof, raised her head and smiled. She then lit up her horn and cleared a large spot in the grey portion of the house.

“Why… Thank you.” Octavia took a seat. “I must say, you have a nice place.”

Vinyl shrugged and made her way to the fridge.

Octavia ran a hoof behind her mane. “I mean, it’s not bad. It’s just…” she looked around the house, trying to find the right word.

“Different?”

Octavia shot up at the voice. She looked around a bit, then figured it came from Vinyl. “Oh, um why yes—” It didn’t sound at all how she had imagined it for some reason. It sounded much softer for one, and didn’t seem to have as much enthusiasm as Vinyl showcased most of the time.

Vinyl walked over and smiled, carrying a bowl of carrots.

Octavia blinked as the carrots were placed in front of her. Expecting Vinyl to say something else, she just sat there in silence. After a bit of no responses, as Vinyl began to frown, Octavia gave a weak smile and reached for a few carrots.

Vinyl grinned and Octavia smiled.

“So… Um—” Octavia started.

“Not mare?”

Octavia choked on a carrot. “Excuse me?”

Vinyl’s eyes widened through her shades.

Octavia began to feel her stomach tense as her breathing returned to normal. “I’m… I’m okay. But what was that about?

Giving a worried look, Vinyl pointed towards Octavia’s neck. Or more accurately, her bowtie. “Not mare?”

Octavia looked down at her bow. “Oh, why yes.” She chuckled. “It… It is. Not a lot of mares wear bow ties, I suppose.” She rubbed her neck and looked up at Vinyl. “You’re one to talk, with your set up.”

Octavia was worried for a second that she might have been rude with that. However, a reassuring smile allowed her mind to be at ease.

Grinning, Vinyl rubbed her glasses, then said, “Personal.”

Looking down to smile, Octavia held onto her bowtie. “Yes. Both this tie and my violin do have strong bonds with me.”

She looked up to see Vinyl tilting her head.

Octavia looked away. “Of course, it’s a rather boring story.”

Somehow, Vinyl could read her mind. “Another time?”

Octavia turned to face her and blinked. “I… Yes, if that is alright.”

Vinyl pointed to her glasses. “E… Emotional too.”

Octavia chuckled. “We do seem to have a lot in common, don’t we?”

Vinyl looked down, then muttered, “Different too?”

Octavia didn’t respond right away. Mostly because it took her awhile to figure out that Vinyl meant it as a question, directed at herself. Which at first, greatly offended her.

She was going to say something, when she noticed how fearful the pony in front of her looked.

*****

The little filly sat outside a doctor’s office in an empty waiting room—a special request of her mother—humming to the music playing on the speakers as her hooves tapped in rhythm on the table.

“What do you mean by her being different?” Her mother’s voice took her out of her musical trance for a moment, before her naive-self continued to hum, tap, and now rock to the music. She would learn some more details of their conversation in the years to come, but for now, all she cared about was the lovely music.

She could never understand why her mother seemed to dislike it when she tried to enjoy it. Music was fun, it made her happy. Was that so wrong?

“Well, I will do whatever I please,” her mother’s shouting started to amplify, “and if any of this gets out to the public, I promise, you will not even be able to find a job cleaning out gutters when I am through with you.” The mare then stormed out of the room and glared at Octavia. “It must have been that stupid mule’s fault. Come on,” she ushered her daughter away.

Octavia protested as the song was only half done.

“You stop that right now! You are not going to ruin my life by being a freak after all I had to do to get where I am. Do you hear that, young lady?”

Octavia winced in her mother’s grasp, but continued to fuss.

Irritated, the older mare noticed a vase of tulips nearby. “Hm, perhaps the allergies could be more of a blessing out of this trip…”

*****

Octavia hadn’t even noticed that she was crying. But somewhere through her flashback, Vinyl had walked over to her and wrapped a foreleg around her back.

She flinched at the touch, but as Vinyl’s hoof began to move, she allowed herself to cry onto Vinyl’s coat. All the while, Vinyl didn’t say a word.

*****

Sometime later, Octavia pulled away and hiccuped. “Sor… Sorry.” She wiped a tear. “Didn’t mean to go off like that.” She breathed through her nose. “I must have looked rather silly.”

Vinyl pulled away and shook her head. “No.”

Octavia smiled widely.

“You happy? Happy now?”

Octavia blinked. “Um… I guess I am.” She rubbed her elbow. “Haven’t really felt this good in a while.” She chuckled. “The only thing that comes close is playing my violin.”

Vinyl nodded. “Music’s good.”

Octavia rubbed her head. “Yes, it’s a magical thing.” She looked around and frowned. “Didn’t think I needed bring it though.” She looked at Vinyl and reddened. “I could’ve played you something. I mean, only if you wanted me to.”

Vinyl rubbed her chin, then suddenly threw her hoof into the air and raced into the depths of the house.

Octavia started to wonder where Vinyl had run off to, until she heard the mare start to huff.

Vinyl then slowly returned to the room, dragging a rather dusty, but otherwise new looking cello.

Octavia blinked as Vinyl turned to face her.

“Not violin.” Vinyl smirked. “But…Close, right?”

Octavia titled her head. “Well…” she blinked. “Wait, why do you have a rather new looking cello?”

Vinyl shrugged. “Discount sales.”

“Ah.” Octavia nodded. “You still haven’t explained why you have one.” She slumped in her seat. “Not that I think you wouldn't be into more classical stuff.” She looked at Vinyl’s mixing board on the other side of the house and her headphones. “I mean, I like pop stuff as well, you know.”

Vinyl levitated the cello over to Octavia, then levitated a dusty book on learning how to play new instruments and smiled. “Try new things.”

“Um,” her stomach started to settle as Vinyl smiled warmly at her.

Vinyl levitated the cello and flipped the book open to the part on the cello. “Not Violin, but try?”

Octavia blinked and looked at the Cello in her hooves. “Huh, well, I’ve only had a chance to try one of these once.” Could never get one past my mother. “Still, as much as I've wanted to, I could never—”

Vinyl waved her hoof, and gestured for Octavia to try.

With a sigh, Octavia looked at the book a few times. Which didn’t seem too different from the one she had to acquire to self-teach herself to play the violin, and with that, tested out a few notes. For a first try, it wasn’t half bad, but it wasn’t half horrible either. While different, it did just feel like a larger Violin. Sure, her lack of actually playing one left her first few tries sounding rather cringey.

“Ugh,” she moaned after several more minutes of her and Vinyl trying to work it out. “Never had this much trouble with my violin.” even though it took her months to sound decent when she first played. Octavia then slouched in her seat as Vinyl looked at her worriedly. “Maybe we should just give up?”

Vinyl gave a cheeky grin, then pointed to the book again.

Octavia rubbed her chin and flipped a few pages over. “Huh,” she strummed a few more strings and cringed. “Any better?”

Vinyl widely grinned and lowered her shoulders.

Octavia huffed. “You don’t need to lie, you know.”

Vinyl frowned and rubbed her shoulder. She then snapped her hooves and stood behind Octavia.

“What are you—” she squeaked as Vinyl began to touch and move around her arms around.

After a bit, she found herself holding the cello in a different position. Vinyl backed away, and gestured for Octavia to try again.

Blushing a bit, and finding herself holding the cello in a more comfortable position. Sure enough, the notes sounded a lot clear.

That’s more like it!” she smiled and experimented more. Each time, Vinyl cringed less and smile brightened.

*****

For the next couple of hour, the two just tried to find out how much Octavia could learn to play with the cello instead of violin. It could have sounded like dying cats, yet both would have thought it be a piece by Neighthoveen.

Even if she sounded like a pony just learning to play, Octavia was feeling on top of the world. laying in front of a crowd was one thing, but this new experience was on a level she was sure only a place like heaven could match. Time and space no longer mattered to her. Each beat allowed her to soar higher, each smile of improvement from Vinyl caused Octavia—

Vinyl frowned and cut her off.

Octavia blinked several time. “Wha…” her ears lowered back. “Why did you—”

Vinyl pointed out the window.

Octavia turned to see that it had become night outside.

“Oh my… Have we really been trying to play this thing for that long?” A rumble, followed by a twinge of pain in her groin confirmed this. “Right.” She looked pleadingly to Vinyl. “May I—”

Vinyl pointed down one of her hallways.

However, as Octavia’s stress melted away, her eyes couldn’t help but notice a carving on the side of the mirror, with the letters: V.S. & L. Z., circled with a heart.

Some hoofbeats outside the door told her Vinyl was on the other side, just as eager to go as she was. “Terribly sorry!” she shouted as Vinyl rushed in.

Breathing in slowly, she trotted back into the house, eyes locked on the cello. She made her way towards it, and smiled.

A flush later, Vinyl emerged from the bathroom and made her way over to Octavia, glancing back and forth between her and the cello.

“Well,” Octavia muttered, “that was… Very pleasant. Thank you.”

Vinyl smiled back.

Both mare stood there.

After a small while, both felt like a hug was in order, though neither mare seemed eager to close that distance.

“Um,” Octavia broke the silence, “I should get going.”

“No dinner?” Vinyl muttered.

Octavia blinked. “Oh, um… I mean,” she shook her head, “No, I should get going. I promised Bon Bon I would be home before eight.” she stopped halfway out the door. “Don’t suppose you’d be free to do this again.” she eyed the instrument. “I’m now determined to get that one note right.

Vinyl nodded, “Okay.”

Octavia warmly smiled. Starting to trot off again, Octavia sighed and quickly embraced her new friend.

Vinyl flinched, but eagerly returned it.

They broke apart, seeing each other’s faces had reddened, Octavia sputtered, “Well, I’ll see you around.”

As Octavia headed out the door, the sound of magic echoed throughout the house, as a pamphlet was levitated to her side.

She looked at the pamphlet that read, ‘The rave,’ then back to Vinyl who spoke, “Free tomorrow?”

“Um… do you want to,” her hooves began to shuffle, “hang out at this… Rave?”

Vinyl shook her head.

“Oh, um…” she looked at the pamphlet again, and noticed what looked like disco balls. “Oh, that’s when you,” she looked at the mixing board, “Play?”

Vinyl rapidly nodded.

“And you want me to come watch you play?”

Vinyl’s beamed as her head nodded faster.

“Well,” she tried to act posed on it, “I’d love to.” She gave Vinyl a warm smile before her eyes widened. “I really have to go. But I mean it, I had a great time. I’ll see you around.” She then trotted off, but couldn’t stop herself from looking back to Vinyl’s house, and kept seeing Vinyl smiling at her the whole time she walked off.

The best part was, she didn’t feel weirder out by it. If anything, Octavia felt saddened once Vinyl was no longer in view.

****

Meanwhile, back in Trottingham.

A dark yellow mare levitated another bottle of wine to her lips as she laid sprawled of the studies arm chair while the fire place burned brightly.

“That… that arrogant *hiccup* brat.” She guzzled down a good portion of the bottle. “To think, after all I have *hiccup* done for her, she would make a fool of me! *Hiccup*.” With the bottle a quarter empty, she threw it towards the fire. “Well… no dam *hiccup* mud pony will make me a fool. I *hiccup* could do without that other *hiccup* mud pony of a husband to get where I am. I’m… I’m sure I can find a way *hiccup* to make it go all away. I’ll… I will show Mo.. Mother, I can be a—”

There was a knock on the door.

“Oh for the love of,” she flared her horn and applied a sober spell to herself as stumbled to the door looking somewhat professional. She then inhaled and exhaled before she saw the detective outside.

The stallion bowed. “Your—”

“Spare me and say that you actually have found my dear daughter by now.” She rubbed her nose and tried to put a little more magic while being discreet about it into her body. “She is not intelligent enough to outsmart the entire Trottingham yard!”

The detective resisted the urge to roll his eyes as he smelled the alcohol, and knew all too well how to tell when a pony tried to apply a sober spell. “Not yet.” He rose up to face her. “But we believe to have a solid lead.”

Octavia’s mother flashed the ponies in front of her one of the most villainous grins they could never have dreamed of.


[/b.

Author's Note:

so yes, this took way longer than i'd like (originally was going to be where i had a short hiatus for this fic, but a few internal conflicts across that required my attention) along with some disagreements with my pre-readers on a few choices, including having Octavia originally just know how to play the cello. In fact, may edit this chapter later, but i'll see what i can't do for a few more chapters in a week or two.
ANYWAYS, on another quick note, for those of you who fallowed me for awhile, then yes, I am going the route. However, if i’ll be saying this out loud or just be left to interpret is up in the air.
Either way, sorry for the delays, but thanks for the support these past two months.
Also, switching to teen theme just to be safe, maybe add somewhat a dark tag? Not sure yet, but things are about to get crazy with Octavia's mother.