• Published 22nd Jun 2016
  • 2,410 Views, 53 Comments

Con Sordina, an Octavia & Vinyl Story - TheOneAJ



A mare who rarely spoke, and a mare who never had a voice.

  • ...
4
 53
 2,410

Chapter three, first day of work

“Are you sure you got this, Octavia?” Bon Bon asked as they rang up a customer.

“Of course I do!” Octavia scolded, then blinked at the wide-eyed customer. “I mean…” she shrank behind the counter and whispered, “Please come again…”

The stallion shrugged and made his exit.

Octavia turned and glanced sheepishly at Bon Bon. “Sorry. But honestly, I think I’m getting the hang of this.”

Indeed, Octavia’s first day as a store clerk was going by rather well. It was only eleven o’clock in the morning, but so far it didn’t seem too hard. With the most complex part being the cash register. After that, all she had to learn where the various prices of the goods, what to do in case of an emergency, and
a few other chores they did when they had free time.

It took a few more tries than Octavia cared to admit, but after a full morning of being taught the prices and how to weigh and measure. Most of which came easy to her, since math was always one of her strong subjects.

Bon Bon bit her lips and sighed. “Well… Alright then.” She looked around at the empty store after the most recent customer left. “I suppose so.” She pulled her saddle bag onto her back. “Right. I’ll be back in an hour, after I get this order delivered. Hopefully before the foal rush. Just… Just try to keep up a bright smile whenever dealing with a customer—”

“Because they’re always right.”

Bon Bon’s lip twitched a bit. “Huh. Well, good, just don’t forget—”

“Chocolate toffees are on sale this week. Buy one half pound, get one half free.”

Bon Bon smiled. “You sure are getting the hang of this.”

Octavia’s lifted her chin. “I just really don’t want to fail.” She smiled. “Thank you for giving me this chance. It means the world to me.”

Bon Bon looked at the floor. “I bet…” she shot back up and smiled. “Anyways, you just take care of the shop and—”

“Actually!” Octavia raise a hoof, only to slowly lower it.

It had been something on her mind for awhile now. She had a feeling other places wouldn’t be too keen on such a request, but she trusted Bon Bon enough to at least ask. “I… I know I’ve just started, and I want to do a good job. Really, I do. But… I don’t suppose, when the stores empty, I could… play my violin? I won’t let it get in the way of business. It’s just how I relax.”

Bon Bon ran a hoof under her chin.

While Octavia had done amazingly with prices and numbers, she did lack a certain charm in the customer service area. She was never rude, but she did seem to have problems making her customers feel welcomed at times. She would only mumble answers to all of their questions, seemed tense when they handed her their bits, and she had almost gone into a panic attack over a rude patron. So if playing a little music helped, who was to say no if it kept her business together?

‘Eh… Why not?” she gave Octavia a firm, but kind stare. “But I better not hear that it affected any sales.”

Octavia beamed. “Oh it will… I mean it won’t!”

Bon Bon chuckled. “Alright, don’t stress yourself.” She smiled. “Why don’t you run up and fetch it? Then I’ll head out.”

With that, Octavia raced upstairs, and came down with her precious case.

“Alright,” Bon Bon waved off, “take care.”

“You too!” Octavia waved.

And with that, she was in charge… She was in charge, and alone.

“Breath, Octavia,” she commanded. “Breath, damn it.” She did just that. “Alright now.” She swallowed hard. “No reason to get worked up.” She started to clop her front hooves together. “Control yourself or…”

Closing her eyes, she thought back onto a moment in her young life and started to sweat…

****

“Now really, Octavia,” her mother had said, “was it so hard to just to keep your mouth shut during dinner?”

“But… But,” the filly stammered, “if I didn’t try to make conversation, you would have gotten mad.”

“Don’t back-sass me, young lady!”

Whimpering, Octavia responded, “How… How was I supposed to know the Duke of York didn’t even like to hear the mentioning of violins?” She hadn’t even wanted to say anything, but when the Duke had asked Octavia more about herself, she just didn’t have anything better to say.

“Well you should have.” Her mother scolded. “You have a lot to live up to. So I’m having you do research on all the lords of the past twenty years. And if you don’t, I’ll take that blasted away for a week, and feed you tulips. Do I make myself clear?”

Afraid more than enraged at her mother’s request, Octavia lightly answered, “Yes, mom.”

“Oh, speak up, get your posture right, and it’s ‘yes, madam’. Seriously, do I have to do everything for you?”

*****
Well she didn’t anymore. “I can do it, mother.” She pulled out her violin, positioned herself, and began to play. “Just need a little stimulation.”

****

Five minutes later, the door’s bell rang.

“Oh, um,” Octavia snapped out of her trance. She quickly put her instrument out of the way and addressed the new customer, “Welcome to…” She trailed off when she saw who it was. The same white unicorn from the day before. Staring at her with those large purple glasses and a neutral expression on her face.

Octavia glupped. “Um… Vinyl, right? What can I do for you?” She began to fidget with her hooves as Vinyl continued to stare. “Would you… like some candy?”

Vinyl didn’t say anything. Instead, she walked forward, put on a smile, and pointed at Octavia’s violin.

“Oh! I mean, yes,” she nodded, “that’s mine.”

Vinyl continued to smile and point.

Octavia blinked. “I’m terribly sorry, I’m afraid it’s not for sale.” She chuckled.

Vinyl frowned, pointed to the violin, then back to Octavia.

Octavia’s eyes widened. “Oh, you want me to play?”

Vinyl smiled and nodded.

“Well…” she looked around the room. “Maybe some other time.” She nervously began to smile. Aside from what Bon Bon had said about not getting distracted while a customer was in the shop, there was also the fact that she’d never played for anyone before. “I… I mean. I’m working now, so I really can’t—”

While she was speaking, Vinyl placed a hoof on her lips.

As Octavia’s eyes widened, Vinyl applied some magic, lifted a few bits out of a purse she was carrying, and placed them in the tip jar next to the cash register.

When Vinyl’s hoof moved away, Octavia said, “Oh, um… Well…”

Vinyl let out what sounded like a sigh. She then lowered her head and raised a hoof. Shortly after, she began to walk out of the store.

“I’m terribly sorry,” Octavia whispered, eyeing the bits. She rubbed her hooves together, then shouted, “Wait! … wouldn’t you like your money back?”

Vinyl turned around, and simply shrugged and waved a hoof off at her. As if to say, ‘it’s okay.’

Just as Vinyl opened the door, Octavia picked up her violin, and played a few notes

Vinyl didn’t respond at first. Mostly, she just stayed at the door, holding it open for no apparent reason.

“I’ve… Never actually played for anypony. At least, anypony who’s actually wanted me to play.” She could see Vinyl turning around. “Honestly, it’s just something I do to calm my nerves. I doubt I’m any good at it, you know.”

Unfazed, Vinyl walked forward, took a seat, smiled, and gestured for Octavia to play anyways.

As she did, Octavia felt a warm fire building within her. “You sure?”

Vinyl nodded eagerly.

Octavia tested out a few notes, and then looked at Vinyl. She was still sitting there and smiling.

Feeling more confident, Octavia started to play an entire number, not caring if it was bad. Having won the positive reception from the mare in front of her, Octavia gave her all into the piece. For some reason, playing at that moment felt much more fulfilling than when she was alone.

Perhaps it was because she wasn’t just playing for herself, perhaps it was because she didn’t have to worry about her mother coming home and interrupting and threatening her, or maybe it was just because someone seemed to like her talent But either way, she was loving it. The music filled, propelled, and relaxed her. She was filled with pride, energy, and she didn’t want to stop.

The door’s bell rang once again, and she did just that. “Good afternoon!” She ducked her violin under the counter and cleared her throat. “Wh… what can I get for you today?

“Actually,” the blue stallion said, “I couldn’t help but notice this place has a musician in charge.”

Octavia stopped abruptly and shrank behind the counter. “Oh! I… I didn’t mean—”

“By all means, don’t stop on my part.” He smiled.

Octavia’s face reddened. “Well, you see—”

She was cut off as a hoof touched her own. Alarmed, she looked up to see Vinyl giving her a reassuring nod of confidence.

Taking a deep breath, Octavia held her violin and looked back at the stallion. “Okay.” She looked between him and Vinyl. “Not that I haven’t been enjoying this, but I’m suppose to be—”

Vinyl gave a salute, and raced behind the counter to the register.

Octavia’s eyes widened. “I really shouldn’t—”

In another flash, Vinyl levitated a bag of chocolate toffee, placed it on the counter, showed it, weighed a pound, tapped on the register, and then levitated the right amount of bits into the register. She then glanced at the blue stallion glaring through her glass, and pointed back between her shades and him.

Octavia sighed. “You’re not going to leave, are you?”

Vinyl smiled and shook her head.

“Yes, well… What if I call—” she was cut off as the bell rang again, ushering in more ponies.

She looked at Vinyl, who continued smile. Vinyl then levitated her headphones off—a pretty expensive pair, Octavia realized—and handed them to Octavia as collateral.

Octavia moaned. “I’ll either be promoted or fired when this is over.” She looked at a few more ponies who were entering the shop, whispering about a talented new artist playing at the store.

Smiling boldly, Octavia held her bow. “Might as well go out with a smile.” The music returned to the store. More radiant than she ever thought possible.

*****

“Thanks a lot, dearie!” Mrs. Cake shouted out at Bon Bon after their business was done. “I’ll see you next week?”

“Of course, see you then!” With a smile, Bon Bon beamed at her bag of bits. While she still wasn’t sure about what she was doing with ‘her’, but having somepony to get more business done was turning into a much needed plus.

“Bonnie!” A familiar voice shouted.

“Lyra?” Bon Bon raised an eyebrow at her friend. “Is something wrong?”

Lyra paused, taking a moment to breath. “No… No.” She inhaled deeply. “I don’t think… But the shop has a large crowd of ponies outside of it!”

Bon Bon’s eyes widened. “What?!”

“Yeah. I didn’t find out why. I just heard Octavia’s name and that you weren’t there—Hey!”

“Take care of these!” Bon Bon commanded, handing Lyra the rest of her candy orders and the addresses to each. Already, she was imagining all the things that could be going wrong. “I knew I shouldn’t have left the shop alone to a…”

Lyra titled her head. “A what?”

Bon Bon looked away from her friend. “Never mind. Just take care of it!” She then raced off.

“Bonnie!” Lyra shouted out. “Bonnie!” she gritted through her teeth as she looked at the delivery list. “Well, I guess complaining won’t get this done. Now let’s see… some grape jaw breakers to one Berry Punch—“

******

“Excuse me!” Bon Bon commanded as she pushed her way through the crowd. “Pardon me. That’s my shop! I’m the owner!”

“Bon Bon?”

Bon Bon halted to look above her head. “Oh, hello Derpy. What’s going on?”

The pegasus known as Derpy smiled as she munched on some toffees. “Oh, didn’t you know? A new mare was hired in the shop to play some music.” She munched on some more candy. “A really talented girl. You should check her out and buy some sweets.”

Bon Bon frowned. “I know, it’s my store!” It was then that she noticed the music that filled the air. Indeed, it was rather good. Full of energy and passion. Perhaps not the best version done by a solo instrument, but she could see why there was a crowd for it.

“Wait, if Octavia is playing her violin…” her eyes widened. “Who’s keeping an eye on my cash register!?”

“Oh, that mute unicorn DJ.” Derpy casually answered. “What was her name again?”

Bon Bon’s eyes narrowed. “Octavia!”

Derpy rubbed her chin. “No, that’s the name of the one playing the music."

Bon Bon shook her head and started to push through the crowd. “Move! Out of the way! You better have paid for that!”

“Hey, watch it, lady!”

“I own the place, so move!”

After a bit of a struggle, she made it inside. Only to see most of the walls barren. With half the ponies in a line at the register, while the other half watched Octavia playing.

Bon Bon stared at the scene in bewilderment. “Well I’ll be…” she then recognized who was working the register.

“Hey, hey!” she shouted, pushing her way to behind the counter towards Vinyl. “What do you think—?”

A white hoof pressed itself against her muzzle.

“Mph%*#&@!” Bon Bon protested, eyes firey.

Vinyl lifted her other front hoof to her own lip and blew. Then, she pointed to Octavia, who was in a trance, entering the climax of her number.

Bon Bon swatted the hoof away. “I could have you—”

Vinyl then tapped lightly on the register, and the bits that had been crammed inside fell into a large box—threatening to overflow with bit’s itself—Vinyl had placed on the floor just for that purpose. Next, she pointed to the tip jar next to Octavia, already quite full. Then, as an act of goodwill, she held the purse she had been carrying upside down and turned it inside out.

“You still shouldn’t have—”

Vinyl then made a salute, and walked away from the register into the crowd. Leaving Bon Bon baffled as Octavia reached the end of her number.

*****

Octavia gave it her all in the final notes. She stroked her violin a few more times, going so far as to even stand on the counter, just to give everypony (herself included) the ending they all deserved. She finished her final note, and allowed herself to breath.

As blood began to return to the rest of her brain, she brought her chin up to see all the ponies cheering and smiling at her. She was on top of the world. That was until she turned to look for Vinyl, only to see Bon Bon giving her a stink eye.

“Oh.” She said coming down from the counter to greet her boss.

Bon Bon crossed her hooves. “‘Oh’ is right.”

Octavia shuffled her hooves. “To be fair, she wouldn’t take no for an answer, and she left these as collateral.” Octavia held up the headphones.

“Hey, can I pay for another show?” The next stallion at the register asked.

“Yeah, and play something by Countess Coloratura next!”

Bon Bon gave Octavia a reassuring smile as she eyed the bits on the ground. “We’ll talk about it later. For now, hurry on back and get some more candy. Bring all you can, and I’ll decide what piece you play next.”

Octavia blinked. “You mean it?”

Bon Bon chuckled. “Yes. Now get moving! We got customers to please.”

Eager to please, Octavia raced off, but not without wondering where Vinyl had run off to.

*****

“Okay,” Bon Bon said as they closed the candy shop. “It looks like all the candy were paid for.”

Octavia exhaled. “Oh, I’m glad.”

“Although,” Bon Bon said, “ it seems as if we have more bits here than we should.”

Octavia’s ears fell back. “Oh.”

Bon Bon grinned. “Well, I’m sure it just leaked out of your tip jar, so I’ll just add it to your pay.”

Octavia’s head shot up. “You really don’t—”

“Oh come on. Have you seen this place?” Bon Bon cheered, pointing to all the empty shelves that had candy on them less than an hour ago. “You just sold out the entire stock I had expected would last a month in only a few hours!” Her face then flattened. “Letting some random pony run the register would get you fired at most places. But since she was a well known local and didn’t steal anything, I’ll let you off with a warning.”

Octavia’s eyes closed. “Oh thank you.”

“Yeah, well, from now on, you can play during hours. Just make sure Lyra or I are here.”

Octavia relaxed at her friend's warm smile. “Sounds like a plan.”

“Okay then.” Bon Bon then pulled out a bag of bits and the headphones. “One last thing, would you mind taking these to your new friend?”

“Friend? I…” she blinked a few times. “You mean Vinyl?”

“No, I mean Princess Celestia.”

Octavia scratched her chin. “But I haven’t met the princess yet.”

Bon Bon laughed, and Octavia quickly caught on to the sarcasm. “Oh, um, right, hehe. Although, I don’t know where she lives. And why are you giving me her money? I thought you said not to trust her.”

“No,” Bon Bon shook her head. “I said that you should not let random ponies run the register.” She jingled the bag, “Besides, aside from the headphones, I calculated that she worked here for an hour, so by law, I’m required to give her an hour’s pay.”

“Alright.” Octavia took the bag. “But I still don’t know where she lives.”

“I happen to,” she handed Octavia a small card with an address written on it. “After that, you can have the rest of the day off. Go do whatever you want.”

Octavia tiltedher head. “Really? It’s not even three.”

“Oh, I insist. You’ve earned it. Besides, it’s going to take awhile to restock the shelves.” She placed a hoof on Octavia’s back. “Just be home by eight.”

Octavia flinched.

Bon Bon reeled back. “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—”

“No! You were just being funny. No harm done, mom.” She stuck out her tongue.

Bon Bon laughed along. “Alright. Oh, and here,” she handed Octavia a larger bag of bits. “A whole day’s pay to have fun with.”

Octavia’s eyes widened. This was what most ponies made in one day?

“Oh, that’s your day’s pay with your tips. Now get going.”

Octavia nodded. “Alright.” But not before she sorted through the money and only took what she thought she would need.

“Maybe you can take that white mare out on a date.” Bon Bon smirked

Octavia’s narrowed her eyes. “Oh please.” She then held her head up and walked outside.

Even though Bon Bon was starting to worry about what she had just implied, she had other things to deal with. The bell rang, and a bruised and huffing Lyra walked in.

“Oh, um… Lyra… what happened?”

Lyra’s eye twitched. “One of your customers who lives in the Everfree happened!” She then noticed the store. “What happened to all the candy?”

Author's Note:

So while I have a few ideas of what song Octavia played, I like to think she did attack on titian. But what do you think would have been a better choice?