• Published 21st Jun 2016
  • 4,246 Views, 33 Comments

One Final Future. - EclipseSight



The map takes Twilight, Spike and Starlight to one final future. The three must put aside their differences to save their own Equestria from a terrible threat. That future's own Starlight Glimmer.

  • ...
1
 33
 4,246

The Map's Gift

The wind howled, whipping her mane violently as it carried dust and debris across the barren wasteland Starlight now found herself in. Twilight had dragged her through the time portal and both of them had ended up here. Wherever here was. This was not Equestria, this was not the land she had grown up in. Whirling upon the one who would have the answers, she snarled, “Where are we?!”

“The future,” Twilight said, her tone melancholic. “Or rather...the present.”

Starlight stalked forward a few paces, ignoring the biting winds lashing at her flanks. She refused to believe what Twilight had just said. This was some kind of feeble trick meant to appeal to her compassion. The alicorn's visage was full of sorrow. Where there had once been anger, now there was sadness. Suppressing a snort of contempt at what she was sure was just a weak ploy to get to her, Starlight spoke.

“But, there's nothing here!” Starlight gestured to their desolate surroundings with a hoof to prove her point.

Twilight sighed and averted her eyes. “I wish I could say I was surprised,” The alicorn looking at the devastation around her. Of all the futures that she had come to, this was one she had begun to expect...and dread. The future where Equestria had already fallen to ruin.

Her expression hardened. No matter what she had to stop Starlight. If she could not get through to her here, then they were back to square one. Regardless of the situation, Twilight knew that she had to prevail. For the sake of everything, she had to win. “But every world I come back to is worse than the last.”

She was pleading with Starlight now, begging her to understand. It showed on her face, and in her tone. Starlight needed to wake up and realise just how far reaching her actions were. Twilight could see that her words were slowly beginning to break Starlight. The mare was biting her lip, and worry was seeping into the cracks where her rage was beginning to drain. Pushing her luck, Twilight stepped forward, “I don't know why my friends and I are so important to Equestria, but we are!”

Instantly she realised she had pushed prematurely. Anger once again flooded Starlight. How dare this mare who had taken everything from her, try and justify it by saying she was more important than everyone else! Shaking now Starlight thrust all her emotion into her next sentence, unconstrained rage and disgust dripping from every word, “I don't believe you!”

“C'mon Starlight look around,” Spike interjected, trying to reason with the unstable unicorn before yet another fight broke out. He was tired of all the fighting.

Hearing the young dragon's words, Starlight paused with whatever tirade she had been planning. Looking around, she saw nothing but bleak deadness. Was this really Equestria? Were they telling the truth. Groaning inwardly she scanned the dead landscape, an ache settling in her heart as she struggled with what to do. If this really was Equestria, then it was her doing. The death of her entire home would be on her shoulders.

“Like I said,” Twilight continued, voice slow and gentle. “Everything in the past affects the future, even the tiniest act...”

She picked up some of the dead earth in her hooves and allowed it to be scattered by the winds. To see her home destroyed in this way, filled her with despair. She wanted to shake Starlight, to force her to listen. However that would only cause more conflict, which so far had only resulted in a stalemate. Words would be her ally here. “And what you're doing leads here...”

Those words struck Starlight with the force of a buffalo stampede. The soft sincerity of Twilight's tone told her that this was no farce. She could not deny it any more. This was all her doing. If she continued in her endeavours to stop the Rainboom then Equestria was doomed. However much she hated it, Twilight's friends were too important to split apart. Her eyes began to water, and she knew it was not because of the wind.

Twilight stepped closer, her voice gentle, yet somehow audible over the whipping winds. "I know I can't stop you...but I thought bringing you here might change your mind."

For a second, Starlight could only freeze as she realised just what Twilight had said. Was all this just some twisted joke to try and get her to stand down. Shaking with rage, she whirled around on the alicorn. "Change my mind?" she snapped, her face contorted.

The injustice of it all infuriated her. Twilight and her friends got to just waltz in and take everything away from her. They ruined her life and now that she wanted payback they were protected by their own importance! Stalking forward, she launched herself forward and gave Twilight a piece of her mind. “You don't know anything about me! I was perfectly happy before you and your friends ruined what I built!”

Twilight had to reel back in surprise as Starlight leapt at her. The unbridled emotion spilling from the unicorn caused a touch of sympathy to spark within Twilight. It was true that what Starlight was doing was reprehensible but they had torn down her whole life. The unicorn's rage was directed at her and her friends alone. Equestria had been an unexpected casualty. Trying to choose her next words more carefully, she said, “I don't know what happened that led you to make your village without cutie marks, and I'm sorry that my friends and I had to take it away.”

Spike looked towards Starlight, hoping that Twilight's apology would calm her down. He knew that Twilight would never ruin someone's life unnecessarily. Whatever had happened had happened for a reason. Realising that Starlight was no longer shouting, he began to relax. However, this only lasted for a second as he took a better stock of the situation. Starlight had her eyes squeezed shut, and her body was so tense she was trembling. Her face was locked in a snarl, teeth gritted.

Seeing this, Twilight thrust a wing protectively in front of Spike. This was unlike anything she had seen from the unstable mare. Starlight was angrier now than she had ever been previously. Intense rage was building inside of her and it would only be moments before it erupted.

“St-Starlight?” she whispered, edging closer.

There, she had finally said it. The apology that was supposed to make everything better. A simple “I'm sorry” was supposed to make everything alright. She, Starlight, was supposed to stop just because someone told her sorry. Ruining everything she had built, ruining her whole life, was only worth a simple sorry!? No matter what she did, everything would only end in ruin. She was trapped between two equally deplorable options, doomed to fail no matter how she proceeded. A wordless scream escaped her and the pent up rage began to release.

Rearing up on her hind legs, Starlight stomped her hooves into the ground. The impact jarred her knees painfully. Ignoring this she reared up and stomped down again. Both Twilight and Spike shared worried glances as the mare continued to pound her hooves against the ravaged earth.

“IT'S NOT FAIR!” Starlight shrieked, only answered by the continuous howling of the wind. “IT'S NOT FAIR!”

No one was prepared for the blast of magic which erupted from her horn. Starlight had lost control of her building emotions and her magic had responded. Twilight was barely able to grab Spike and pull him away from the map before the bolt of teal energy struck it. Twilight rounded on Starlight, only to see surprise etched on the mare's face. Seeing that the blast had been unintentional Twilight turned her attention to Spike.

“You okay?” she asked, hugging the trembling dragon to her side. He only nodded, wrapping his claws around her as tightly as he could manage.

Starlight watched the interaction in silence. While the darkest part of her wished the blast had connected, most of her was relieved. It had never been her intention to truly harm them physically. Months had been spent on the crystallisation spell for that exact reason. She just wanted them to lose everything, as she had.

Twilight looked to be preparing to speak, but for the first time in months Starlight's attention was somewhere else. Specifically, she was staring over Twilight's shoulder. Behind the alicorn the map was glowing brightly, like a miniature sun. It was only a moment before Twilight and Spike noticed as well. They backed up quickly, coming level with Starlight.

“What's going on?” Spike asked, his voice trembling with fear.

"How should I know? It's your map!" Starlight's voice dripped with annoyance. Just what else could go wrong today?

Suddenly, the glowing surface of the map split open. The gash widened until the entirety of the map was now a gaping hole in reality. Before the shocked trio could brace themselves, the map sucked them towards it. Powerless against the overwhelming force all three were dragged through the tear in time.

While having fully expected to be simply dragged back to the past, Twilight was still taken aback by her surroundings. Beside her, she heard Spike scrabbling to his feet. His short gasp told her that he shared in her astonishment. They were back in Ponyville, which was once again missing the Castle of Friendship. That was not the only difference. The once inviting, colourful town was now dull and grey. Every building was uniform in shape, size, style and colour. The sight was, disturbingly familiar

“I think I know what happened this time...” Twilight pulled Spike close with a wing, eyes never leaving the twisted representation of their home.

Spike gulped as he looked around. Ponies were milling around the town, acting as if everything was normal. However, as with the buildings, they displayed a uniformity in their mane style, clothing and cutie marks. Those dark black equal signs branded every visible flank.

“This is Starlight's future,” Spike said, immediately snuggling a little closer to Twilight.

Twilight looked around, desperate to pick up on something that could change her answer. Finding nothing, she rose to her feet. "Yes...It would seem so."

Already wanting to get as far away as possible, Spike started to pull on Twilight's wing. "We-we should go..." No matter how hard he pulled, Twilight would not budge.

“No...” she murmured. Much to Spike's dismay, his friend began to move away from the map, deeper into the town. “I want to know what happened here...”

“What? Why?” Spike cried, throwing his claws into the air. “Twilight haven't the last seven futures been enough? Can't we just go back to trying to stop Starlight?”

Twilight shook her head, turning back to him. “Spike, the map brought us here for a reason. If this really is Starlight's future then we might learn something that will help us convince her to stop. Without any more violence.”

Spike grumbled at her logic, he hated it as much as it made sense, before falling into step with her. If she was really bent on this then he would see it through with her. They had come this far together.

“Thanks, Spike,” Twilight said gently, wrapping a wing around him.

With a small shrug, he joked half-heartedly, "Someone has to keep you in line."

Together they made their way through Ponyville. Ponies regarded them with wonder but seemed too nervous to approach. Not wanting to see her friends in this state, Twilight made a beeline for the train line. There was only one place in all of Equestria she would find Starlight. Back where it had all began. Neither of them noticed that a single burnt orange stallion was staring at them from behind the treeline. Quietly, he slipped out of sight.

* * *

Not far from where Twilight and Spike had landed, Starlight slowly raised her head. Her landing had been anything but graceful, and she would be feeling it for a long time to come. The map had decided to deposit her on a set of train tracks, easily the most uncomfortable spot in the vicinity.

“Stupid map probably did that on purpose,” she muttered under her breath, casting an irate glance at the soft grass mere feet from her that she could have been dumped on.

Pulling herself to her feet, Starlight swivelled her head back and forth. "Where am I anyway?"

The first thing to catch her attention was the huge mountain looming over her. Tilting her head upwards her eyes fell upon Canterlot. Or at least she assumed it was Canterlot. While there was no other city that was built into the side of a mountain, the pride of Equestria had been reduced to a mass of nondescript grey buildings. Even the castle was gone. The most magnificent building in all of Equestria was just...gone.

“Hmmph, I better not be getting emotional over a castle. Oh, whatever, all I need to do is just wait for Twilight to turn back time again and the spell will do the rest. None of this will ever happen and I'll just... I don't know what I'll do...something.”

Content to simply wait, Starlight laid down on the grass to contemplate her lot in life. She had tried to create equality and harmony only to be thwarted by the so-called Elements of Harmony. It was almost poetic. Now she was being thwarted once again, this time by fate. Her thirst for revenge would never be sated without all of Equestria paying the price. All she had been granted was a shattered pride and several nasty bruises.

Furious, she glared down at her cutie mark. The thing that had allowed her to create the spell which had given her false hope. A mark that would tear apart friendships without a single care. A mark which segregated ponies and forced them into their destinies, whether they liked it or not. Bile rose in her throat as the very sight of the intricate mark, meant just for her.

Driven by her hatred, she poured magic into her horn. Three times she had attempted this, with no success. Always, the hurt grew too great to bear and she lost her hold on the magic. Not this time. This time her fury would allow her to succeed. Seizing her cutie mark in the teal glow of her magic, she started to pull. The wretched thing resisted her efforts. Tears sprang to her sapphire eyes as pain shot through her. Burning rods of agony were being driven through her flanks, intensifying with every pull.

Just as she was nearing the end of the process, it happened. The magic granted by the mark failed her. All progress was lost as the mark simply snapped back into place. Her flanks continued to burn as if they had been rubbed raw by sandpaper. Fighting through the pain she grabbed the mark again. This time she would succeed, and leave the evil thing here. Here it would be out of reach, which would prevent her from ever wavering on her decision.

She hissed, slamming her hoof into the ground in a vain effort to keep herself from screaming. In a low, dangerous tone, she growled, “Not this time! You are coming off whether you like it or not!”

Frenzied now, she started to relentlessly yank at the mark. Once more the mark held on, forcing her to pour more energy into every yank. The hopelessness of the situation began to dawn on her as once again her magic left her at the crucial moment. No matter how hard she tried, the mark was what gave her the magic to perform the spell. With it gone she could not complete the procedure and it would simply snap back to her. Like a parasite it clung to her, refusing to let her go and end her suffering. This was one thing she could not do on her own. Feeling more alone than ever, Starlight curled up into a tight ball. Then the tears began to fall.

For what felt like hours she wept in Canterlot's shadow, alone. Lost in her own despair she failed to notice the gathering crowd. Only when the sheer mass of ponies amplified their hushed whispers into an irritating crescendo did she unfurl her body. This was just what she needed- a bunch of slack-jawed ponies gawking at her weeping like a filly. She launched herself to her feet, fully prepared to give them all a piece of her mind. What happened next stunned her...

Elsewhere, Twilight shifted uneasily. Spike was clinging to her leg, digging his claws in tight. Their situation mirrored Starlight's. With backs pressed against the wall, they wilted under the gaze of an entire town of ponies. Curiosity had gotten the better of the crowd and, while Twilight and Spike were waiting on the train, they had begun to gather around the out of place pair. Drawing on all of her remaining strength, she tried to placate the crowd, assuring them that they meant no harm. “Hello there. I'm sure you're all rather confused right now. Well, we won't be taking up much of your time. We just need to-”

“You there!” a burnt orange stallion barked, stalking up to them. His hooves were cream coloured as if his legs had been dipped in paint. A stripe of the same colour adorned his muzzle. Like every other pony, his cutie mark was a jet black equal sign.

“Remain silent. The queen is on her way and your cutie mark will be removed for the good of all Equestria. Do not try to resist or you will be dealt with most severely.”

Before Spike could stop her, Twilight spoke up in protest. The absurdity of the stallion's statement riled her, and she could not let it go. As the Princess of Friendship, she had to try and help these ponies see a better way. “But... removing cutie marks isn't what's good for ponies! Our special talents are what define us! They make Equestria special because no matter how different we are, we can all be friends.” She was at her full height now, wings spread. It was as if she was back in Canterlot, giving her planned lecture, but with much higher stakes.

“Well well well,” a silky voice purred from behind the stallion. “That is certainly an interesting philosophy.”

Twilight's blood froze as the every pony bowed in unison, parting to reveal her adversary...Starlight Glimmer. Her light purple coat, tri-coloured mane and piercing sapphire eyes were unmistakable. Her appearance was unchanged, except for a single detail. The alicorn's eyes were drawn to Starlight's flanks and her jaw dropped. Alongside her own cutie mark, Starlight bore three others: a crescent moon; a crystal heart and last of all, the blazing sun. The cutie marks of the three princesses of Equestria were emblazoned on Starlight's flanks.

“What the?!” Spike's exclamation rang out over the silence. He had noticed the difference as well. “Why do you have so many cutie marks?”

A soft yet unsettling smile and a flashing of sapphire eyes preceded Starlight's next words. “An interesting story, that I am more than willing to share. However, first I would like to know all about you. What brings an unknown princess and a little dragon to Equestria? Sunburst tells me that you simply appeared out of thin air. How exactly did this come to pass?”

Her voice dripped with power. A sheer strength laced every word and compelled ponies to listen. Even though she lacked the stature of Nightmare Moon, Spike found this new Starlight even more intimidating than the dark princess. Confidence radiated from her, completely opposite of the Starlight they knew. One was completely in control and the world had bent to her whim, while the other was lashing out in anger at the world she did not understand. Whatever twisted magic this Starlight had employed, she had been granted an incredible power by it.

“Walk with me,” Starlight commanded, gesturing away from Ponyville.

Without waiting for a response she moved off. With a simple wave of her hoof, she dismissed the bowing ponies. With an eerie synchronicity, they stood and as one resumed their day to day lives. Spike crawled onto Twilight's back, desperately needing the security. He was also not sure how much longer his shaking legs would support his weight. Twilight tried to flash him a reassuring smile but inside she was just as disturbed as he was.

Three short taps caught their attention. Jerking their heads up, they noticed Starlight waiting on them. She said nothing and maintained her calm demeanour. Even so Twilight swiftly moved to her side, not wanting to incur the wrath of such a powerful pony. Sunburst moved along behind them, keeping a watchful eye on both newcomers. He moved as if this was simply his duty in life, to watch over his queen.

“Now, as I asked before Princess, how exactly did you come to be here?” It was a simple question, yet spoken in such a way that told Twilight anything but the truth would be dealt with most severely.

“Umm... well... to put it plainly...” Twilight stammered, her mind whirring as she tried to puzzle out just what she should say.

“Please do,” interrupted Starlight quietly.

Twilight focused her gaze on the ground, as it provided some relief from the unsettling presence before her. She fervently hoped she could get herself under control, preferably before her tongue slipped. “R...Right, well... I'm from Equestria, though I'm from an alternate future... Starlight Glimmer, umm... the version of her from my world, travelled back in time to try and prevent my friends from ever meeting. Then I ended up here because of how time was rewritten.”

“I see,” Starlight replied, placing her hoof under her chin. “And just why did I, or rather a version of me, try to prevent you and your friends from meeting?”

Twilight gulped, unsure of just what she should divulge here. Sweat began to form on her brow, as Starlight's eyes bored into her. The sapphire orbs were demanding a response, something Twilight did not have. Seeing his friend begin to falter, Spike mustered his courage and asked, “What about you? You said you'd be willing to share just how you got all those cutie marks.”

Starlight chuckled lightly, though the mirth was anything but warm. Her flashing eyes fell upon Spike, who recoiled behind Twilight's shoulders.

“Yes, yes I did. Very well little dragon. I shall tell my tale. It will give your friend some time to find her tongue. Long ago I founded a village where equality could be found by any who would seek it. Any pony who wished to free themselves from the injustice of their cutie mark was welcomed. Over time my village grew as more and more sought sanctuary. Then came Nightmare Moon, the alicorn from legend. Equestria was at its darkest. Celestia had fallen and the world was plunged into eternal night. My village remained as a sanctuary until one day...Nightmare Moon attacked us. She viewed the society we had built as a blight on the land and tried to eradicate us. In defence, I forcefully removed her cutie mark, something I had before never resorted to.

Celestia returned and Nightmare Moon was locked in the dungeons. I learned of her origins as Luna but no matter how much Celestia tried Nightmare Moon refused to let go of her hatred. Celestia congratulated my efforts. She was sceptical of my village but did not oppose it. More ponies joined us, and we grew into a small town. I was happy, happy that I was helping ponies see the light. Progress was slow. And then King Sombra returned. The crystal empire attacked and Celestia was once again unable to stop the threat. She held her ground admirably, as any ruler must. However, it was then I knew I had to act. Sombra was marching upon my town and I had no other choice. I took the cutie mark of Nightmare Moon and transplanted it onto myself. I gained the power of the fallen alicorn and together Celestia, Cadance and I were able to defeat the king.”

“Wait wait wait! You put on another ponies cutie mark?!” Twilight's voice was completely back with her, unable to stay silent after what she had just heard.

“Yes, “I would have assumed that was obvious.” Starlight's tail flicked and she stared down at Twilight as if daring the alicorn to challenge her words.

“It's just... it goes against everything I've ever heard of...” Twilight once again had to avert her eyes. Spike gently rubbed her shoulders, trying to soothe her as best he could. “And to take Nightmare Moon's cutie mark like that. In my world, it took the Elements of Harmony to defeat her.”

“They were never found," Starlight continued, once again launching into her story. "Celestia tried to locate the Bearers of Harmony but none were ever found. Tirek returned and once again Equestria was threatened. I was more powerful than ever but Celestia was weaker. She had begun to lose hope as Tirek grew more powerful with each passing day. By the time we could locate him he was powerful enough to directly take the alicorn magic from us. My plan was simple, I would take the cutie marks of both princesses. Tirek had shown no interest in my town because he could not drain a pony without their mark. Eventually, both Princesses agreed, thinking I would simply go into hiding until Tirek's power waned without a fresh supply of magic. They were mistaken.”

“You challenged him?!” Twilight interrupted again, memories of her own battle with Tirek coming to the forefront of her mind. This time Starlight seemed to take the interruption in stride and merely continued after quickly addressing the question.

“Yes. I was not about to just simply wait on him to only potentially lose his power. I assume you realise who was victorious in the end. Celestia was grateful. Very grateful. It came as quite the shock when she refused the return of her cutie mark. Instead, she decided to live within my society. The strain of over a millennium of princesshood must have taken their toll.”

“I guess it would...” Spike muttered under his breath.

Twilight was silent once more, too shocked to speak. Princess Celestia, the ruler of Equestria for as long as anyone could remember giving up her cutie mark? She would really give up her position just like that. Was the burden really so much to bear? Was the Princess Celestia she knew and loved going through the same struggles?

Oblivious to the turmoil her words had caused, Starlight continued to speak. “Cadance decided to join her aunt. Soon all of Equestria began to follow their rulers' example. My dream had finally been realised, all of Equestria was equal. No pony was more important than any other. Everyone knew their place, and soon I found mine. I was the protector, I was the one who would keep Equestria safe. I was enlightened to this fact when Discord broke out of his prison. He tried to destroy the perfect harmony I had spent years building.”

Here she chuckled again, that same icy mirth that only she was privy to. “With my power even the mighty Discord could not touch Equestria. The Spirit of Chaos is locked within stone for one thousand more years. The changeling queen tried her luck as well, but compared to Discord she was sorely disappointing. Quality over quantity as they say. I was able to settle down and Equestria is as you see it today. A sanctuary of equality where I stand as its protector and Queen.”

* * *

Meanwhile, Starlight Glimmer was staring at the group of ponies assembled before her. She was rendered speechless by their actions. All of them were bowing to her. Their reverence unsettled her. Starlight backed up to try and get away from the ponies, until her tail pressed against the stone wall of the mountain. Why were random ponies just bowing to her like she was some kind of royalty? Her eyes zoomed in on their cutie marks. Dark equal signs. Just like at her village. The pieces began to come together.

“Queen Glimmer, allow us to assist you.” a snow white stallion's voice rang out, and Starlight instantly recognised it.

Disbelief was etched all over her features. She had not seen the stallion this way since her rule over the village. His mane and tail were both kept neat and tidy, in the same style as before. She stepped forward, her lip quivering slightly. "Double Diamond?"

As if pleased that he had been recognised by name, Double Diamond nodded excitedly. “Yes, is there anything we can assist you with my queen?”

“Queen?” Starlight asked, drying her eyes a hasty swipe of her hoof. “I'm not a queen. I'm just Starlight. What's going on here?!”

Her aggressive tone startled the ponies. Murmurs of confusion began to pass between the members of the crowd. Starlight bit her lip and turned to the side. Her hoof came up to her chest in an almost defensive stance. Ignoring the ponies, she instead flicked her eyes upwards to Canterlot. She could just make out the grey mass of buildings. Exactly like the buildings in her old village.

“This is my future...” she muttered to herself, bringing a hoof up to her chest as if it could protect her from the truth. “This is where I win...”

However, even with this revelation, she felt only revulsion. This was not her vision of equality. All need for reverence and stature should have been stamped out, not embraced. Swallowing her building disgust she injected as much sweetness into her voice as possible. “I apologise Double Diamond. I am fine, thank you. However, I think there has been a misunderstanding that I have to correct. Please go back to whatever you were doing before.”

It worked, the sugar coated, smooth tone getting the reaction she desired. Instantly all dissent was dispelled and the ponies were once again at ease. She had learned in her village that gentle persuasions were usually all that was needed to put a wandering pony back on the right path. Her treatment of Twilight and her friends had been a necessary harshness. The ripple they had caused would have ruined the lives of her friends. Though now there was a lingering doubt that it was not Twilight Sparkle who had been ruining ponies lives.

With the crowd now dispersed Starlight enveloped herself in magic and launched into the air. Removing her cutie mark would have to wait. As much as she despised what it had done to her, she needed her magic. Twilight had probably gotten too curious and stuck her nose where it did not belong. Prying was what the princess was good at. Regardless, she had a number of choice words to say to her counterpart in this world...

* * *

“Now, I believe I have answered your question sufficiently,” Queen Glimmer said, turning to her two guests and giving them her undivided attention/ “Now you will answer mine. Why exactly did my counterpart try to break up your friendships?”

Twilight knew that she could stall no longer. Exhaling deeply, she replied in a way that could hopefully prevent conflict. “In my future, my friends and I came upon her village of equality and had to take it away from her.”

“I see. A mistake you are coming to realise I would think.”

Spike and Twilight turned to face each other. In truth, this new Equestria was the most unnerving future they had come to. It was true that there was peace, but for how long? This Starlight had taken on every threat that had come to Equestria, but what then? Everything would stay still and static until Equestria was overthrown by an enemy not even this Starlight could match. Her equalised nation was helpless, fully reliant on her.

“No..." Twilight raised her head and met the queen's gaze head on for the first time. “I'm not. Because what I see here isn't equality. I meant what I said. All of our special talents are what makes Equestria special. We don't need to be the same to be friends. That's what I was taught by my friends, the most important ponies to me. I wouldn't give that friendship up for anything, even your so called peace.”

Her words were strong, coming from deep within her. Nothing would shake her resolve in this matter, nothing and no one. No matter how powerful they were. Perched upon her back, Spike gave a firm nod.

If anything the words seemed to glance off the queen, as if she was barely hearing them. Anyone who did not follow her ways was not worth listening to in her eyes. “That is disappointing. I was hoping that you would decide to stay here, under my protection. You are rather fascinating, to be able to travel through time as you have.”

“I'm sorry, but my place is back in my own Equestria...which admittedly I should be getting back to," Twilight said, even as she started to lag behind.

“Yeah, we should go.” Spike agreed nervously. Hoping to stay on the mare's good side he added. “Uhh... good... good luck!”

Before Twilight was able to turn to the direction of the map, she felt her movements halted. No matter how much she tried, she was unable to move another step. Spike was similarly restrained. The source of their bonds soon became evident, a sickly turquoise glow.

“Too bad really." Queen Glimmer frowned as she looked at her two captives, lifting them into the air so she could study them more closely. “I was hoping you would simply give up your cutie mark willingly. The power of a fourth alicorn princess could allow me to do so much. Equestria will never be in danger again. All because of me!”

Even with her own formidable magic, Twilight was powerless to resist the grip binding them. Queen Glimmer looked maniacal, thoroughly set in her goal. It was the same reckless determination that her own Starlight employed. A scream escaped her as she felt her cutie mark be torn from her body. No amount of struggling would help her. As the very essence of her identity was extracted from her, she slumped. It was over. She had lost and in a twisted roundabout way, Starlight had won. Equestria would be a cold, grey place where friendships were forced rather than forged.

“No...you can't!” Spike cried out, trying desperately to appeal to Queen Glimmer's mercy. Feeling Twilight give up beneath him was even more heart wrenching than her screams. “You can't just take her cutie mark like this! You said yourself it was wrong!”

“Incorrect," Queen Glimmer said calmly as if she were discussing the weather with them, rather than preparing to rip a pony's very self from her. The magical grip around Spike tightened, silently demanding he be quiet "I can and I will. I will not allow you to change the past and destroy my perfection! Nothing will stop me! Nothing can stop me!”

“Oh spare me!” a voice snarled from behind them. “I've already suffered through one ego trip today!”

Twilight stiffened at the familiar snarl. Even though she was unable to turn, she knew exactly who had spoken. Warmth began to seep into her body, invigorating her. Strands of a beautiful teal aura gently grasped her peeling cutie mark and set it back to its rightful place. The queen's surprise caused her magic to loosen, allowing both Twilight and Spike to turn wide-eyed to their saviour.

Starlight Glimmer, their Starlight Glimmer, was hovering a few feet above the ground. Her expression was that of hatred, directed not at Twilight but at her own counterpart. With practised ease, she lowered herself to the ground and stalked towards the group. Her horn still burned brightly, maintaining the protective layer of magic around Twilight and Spike.

“You really think that you're better than everypony else?” Starlight hissed, finally coming to a stop when she was less than a tail's length away from Queen Glimmer.

Unperturbed by the newcomer's resemblance to her, having already deduced who stood before her, Queen Glimmer simply gave Starlight a bored look. “I am the one who is able to protect them all. I-”

Starlight cut her off, not willing to listen to any more preaching- Twilight had been more than enough. "That is not what I asked. You think you're better than them all. I saw how they treat you. They act like you're some sort of ruler. That wasn't what this was about! It was about making sure no pony ever felt inferior because of their cutie mark!”

A low chuckle sounded from deep within the queen's throat, causing Starlight to take a step back. The twisted mirth attached to her own voice sent a chill down her spine. Then the queen began to speak. “Oh you mean like we did with Sunburst? Are you really still holding onto your childhood that strongly?”

Her words lashed through Starlight. Memories of that day, the day that had changed her life forever, began to flow through her. Then she heard that twisted rendition of her own voice once more. “You see, I understood more than you. I understood that in order to create a sanctuary I had to use more than words. It does seem like you were learning until you went on this little revenge trip. You didn't exactly remove your own cutie mark either did you.”

Starlight's pained face told the queen all she needed to know.

“You tried?” she cackled, completely releasing her grip on Twilight and Spike. Breaking her weaker self would be much more fun. A savage smile twisted her lips, and she stalked towards Starlight, who was trying not to cringe away. “Oh, that is rather precious. Recently to from what I can tell. Little revenge plot not going to plan?”

“Shut up!” Starlight growled, through the lump that had formed in her throat. “Just shut up! At least I'm not a hypocrite!”

Twilight could barely believe her ears. Taking another's cutie mark was horrible enough, but to be pushed to such a brink that one would try to take her own. She moved closer to Starlight, stepping cautiously. “You tried...to remove your own cutie mark?"

Refusing to take her eyes off the queen, Starlight tried to brush away Twilight's question. "It isn't important right now Twilight!" Of all the times to get curious, the alicorn was really picking the worst ones.

“It is!” Twilight protested, only to be cut off by Queen Glimmer brushing past her and pushing Starlight into a sitting position. Having been distracted, Starlight found herself easily manhandled by the more powerful version of herself.

Relishing the control she had over the situation, Queen Glimmer took a few moments to savour the moment. Her hoof came up to gently stroke her counterpart's cheek. It reminded her of what she had been, weak, lost, angry. Everything that she was not now. After her hoof was violently thrown back at her by an irate Starlight, she decided that it was time to end it. “Given that you were unsuccessful, I have a proposition for you. But first. Sunburst! Come over here please.”

For the first time, Starlight noticed the stallion who had been trailing his queen. It was him, Sunburst. Older yes, but there was no mistaking those cream markings against a burnt orange coat. He was completely subservient to the queen. Not at all like she had envisioned. He should be her best friend, not her plaything. As he moved to his queen's side, like a puppy to its master, Starlight growled. “How dare you! How dare you treat him like that!”

“Who is he?” Twilight asked, unable to stop her curiosity from being piqued at the lilac mare's violent reaction.

Starlight had to turn away, unable to look at the pony who looked exactly like her friend any longer. "Sunburst..." The anger coursing through her slowly diminished as she began to reminisce. Those times had been the last ones she could truly call, happy. “My first friend... we did everything together. We were never apart. Until his cutie mark tore him away from me.”

Now it all began to make sense, and the pieces slowly came together. Unsure of what to do, Twilight simply sat down next to the lilac unicorn. She made no attempt to touch Starlight, not willing to risk any retaliation. Even so, she wanted to at least show this small bit of understanding. “So that's why you tried to remove cutie marks...”

Of all the things she thought this trip might teach her about her foe, this was not one of them. However, the more she thought about it, the more it made sense. Losing a friendship, particularly a first friendship, could be devastating to a pony. She herself could not imagine how she would react if Spike had been taken from her. The young dragon had been a constant since the day she had met him, much like Sunburst would have been for Starlight.

Starlight only nodded, looking off into the distance without really seeing it.“Yes... I thought that if all ponies were the same then no one would be torn apart again. I never found another friend... too scared that I would lose them too..”

“Even when you got your cutie mark?” Spike asked, now standing on Twilight's other side.

A low heavy sigh escaped Starlight, and she turned to look Spike in the eye. The young dragon flinched back a little, but Starlight appeared melancholic rather than angry. “I... I hated the day I got my cutie mark. I knew it would only be a matter of time before it tore a friendship from me just as Sunburst's had. At the village...if I had been able to remove my own cutie mark... I wouldn't have lost everything when you all came. All I wanted was for no pony to feel the way I felt that day.”

Before Twilight could even attempt to try and convince Starlight that there was a better way to do things, the queen's voice broke her off. Every word she uttered seemed to hit Starlight hard. Her tone was light and jovial as if she relished in tearing the spirit right out her her other self. “This is what you wanted. Whether you want to admit it or not. You couldn't remove your own cutie mark because of your own desire. You didn't want to lose it. You wanted your magic, you wanted to be the best. You did not want to feel inferior again, so you made yourself superior to all those around you.”

“That... that's not true,” Starlight choked, the lump in her throat throbbing with every word.

“It is,” Queen Glimmer replied, pacing back and forth while still keeping her gaze firmly locked on her other self. “You hide behind your feelings of fairness but in truth, you are no different from me. You were just too weak to realise what you truly wanted. I was not.”

Everything left Starlight at that moment. All her anger, all her passion, everything simply left her. The quaking mare was a shell of herself, completely broken. Unable to keep herself upright she flopped into a heap on the ground. Without even the strength to cry she simply lay there. An internal struggle raged inside her, sapping her will. While her inner self tried to deny the queen's words as they repeated inside her head, it was proving futile. She was just a lost filly, playing with things she did not understand to try and change the world she did not comprehend. Had her motivations really been that selfish? Had she been lying to herself all this time? Just as the queen's words began to swallow her, she felt a gentle touch through the darkness. Or rather, two gentle touches.

Twilight and Spike had rushed over as soon as Starlight fell. They were both gently touching her shoulder. A surge of protectiveness rose up inside Twilight. More than once today she had witnessed Starlight's self-projected confidence crack. This was what was concealed behind it, a pony so lost she had been forced to delude herself that it was all those around her who were wrong.

“It'll be okay Starlight...” Twilight heard Spike say. There was no conviction to his words, it was just something to try and placate the mare. Before Twilight herself could speak, Queen Glimmer continued,

“Now, for my proposition." A pause followed as if she was waiting for a response. None came, though the queen did not appear bothered by this. "It is rather simple. Give up your cutie mark and live here... with Sunburst. I'm sure you would both enjoy it. You get the friendship you so desire and I won't be acting so 'despicably' to him. I can smooth out our similar appearances quickly enough.”

“No! I won't allow that!” Twilight said firmly, flaring her wings to hide Starlight from view. “I won't allow you to do this any longer. I won't allow you to hurt any more ponies. Not one single pony!”

Chuckling, Queen Glimmer fixed Twilight with a mocking stare. In a display of her unquestionable superiority, she forced Twilight's wings down, pressing the feathers tightly against her sides. “It has been established that you cannot best me. If you want to try then prepare to be sorely thrashed.”

The conversation flooded Starlight's hearing but did not break through her melancholy. Her consciousness was locked in a small room, while Queen Glimmer's words reverberated around her. She recognised the place, it was the room from her village. The room where ponies went to adjust to the equalisation process. Fitting that this would be where her mind would take her while the inner struggle raged.

"I never wanted to be superior..." she heard her inner voice said weakly. "I just wanted... I just wanted ponies to need me..."

It sounded so childish, but it was the truth. All she desired was to be wanted, to be needed. She had thought that meant being the same as everyone else, saving ponies from the pain she had felt. However, she had been wrong. She had been so wrong. Despair began to consume her, and the queen's words grew louder. If she had been so wrong, then what was the right way?

"Being with your friends, no matter the hardships."

Starlight's mental avatar whirled around to face the intruding voice and came face to face with an apparition of Twilight. The alicorn was in the open doorway, bathed in a soothing light glowing outside the dark room. Despite the intensity of the light, none penetrated the dark, dank space Starlight had found herself in.

"Ugh please don't tell me I'm going to start imagining you!” Starlight groaned, flopping down into a sitting position. Twilight was the last pony she needed giving her a lecture. "Hearing you out there is bad enough."

The apparition of Twilight giggled, raising a hoof to her mouth to try and stifle her amusement. "Maybe. 'Though I suppose that is up to you."

"Hmmph. Whatever. Why are you here?" Starlight asked, wanting to cut right to the point. She had things to work out and preferred to do so on her own.

"I'm the part of your mind that has the answer to your question." Twilight materialised a book in front of her and idly went through the motions of reading it. "I've had it all along. You just locked me away."

"Uh...huh..." With a quick flare of magic, Starlight yanked the book out of Twilight's grip and flicked through it. Every page was completely blank. "So why do you look like someone I met less than a year ago?"

"Several reasons I assume," Twilight replied, making no moves to retrieve her book. Instead, she just smiled warmly. It was infuriating to Starlight, yet also quieted her. The gesture felt nice, filling her with a soft fluffy feeling. "Maybe because you know that said pony is correct in what she says. Tell me, what made you and Sunburst so close?"

Without having to think about it, Starlight knew the answer. She had been trying to regain what she had lost for years. Her ears folded back, pressing against her head, as she formed the words."We...We did everything together. It didn't matter that we were a bit different. We were equal in all the ways that counted. We complimented each other in a way. I was good at magic and he knew everything about it.”

'Correct,” Twilight praised, sounding pleased. 'His cutie mark did not change him Starlight. Yes, he was torn away from you, but not because of his cutie mark.'

'Then why?” Starlight demanded, now on her feet again. 'Why did he never write back? Why did he never try to get in touch? If our differences make friendships strong, then why did they tear mine apart?”

"I know as well as you do...” Twilight said sadly. "Which is to say...I don't. I don't know why he never wrote. All I know is that you can't allow this one loss to define you any longer. You're strong enough to change the world, why not use that strength to understand the world instead. Learn from your mistakes and try again... Forge new friendships. Mourn lost ones, but do not allow them to define you. Starlight Glimmer it is time to step out of the dark and into the light.”

With that the apparition stepped to the side, freeing the doorway. Her hoof was extended invitingly. All Starlight had to do was take it. She had not realised it until now, but the queen's words were gone. The loudspeaker in the corner of the room was silent.

“What do I do? How do I know this won't just happen again?” Starlight asked weakly, standing but not approaching.

Smiling once again, Twilight replied, “Make new friends, and if something happens that changes things, work through it together...”

Her hoof remained extended, waiting patiently for Starlight. Taking a deep breath, the unicorn walked forward with shaky steps. Before she was able to reach the smiling alicorn, she was snapped back to reality.

Queen Glimmer lazily overpowered Twilight's levitation spell, her feet remaining firmly on the ground despite Twilight's best efforts. “Princess, do you really think you can beat me?”

Realising it was hopeless, Twilight stopped pouring energy into her spell. Gritting her teeth, she tried to rack her brains for a way out of her predicament. This was unlike anything she had ever faced before, but she would never give up. “I can keep trying!”

“Yes, yes you can. I will not deny you that,” Queen Glimmer chuckled, as her magic effortlessly deflected a gout of green flame sent at her by Spike. “However, it appears to be my turn to strike.”

The air hummed as energy began to gather around Queen Glimmer's horn. Twilight braced herself for what was coming. Spike was at her side. This would end with them together, as always. Either her very identity would be wrenched from her, or worse. She thought of her friends. While she would always have Spike, who did they have? Were they happy in this world? Regretting her decision to avoid meeting them, Twilight closed her eyes and prepared for the incredible power that was about to be unleashed.

A resounding boom echoed across the landscape, startling Twilight. The queen was also visibly surprised. Moments later, a second bolt of lightning crashed into the barrier Queen Glimmer had hurriedly erected around herself.

Horn glowing in preparation for another spell, Starlight was now on her feet. She was steady now, completely focused on Queen Glimmer. Without so much as glancing at Twilight or Spike as they whirled around to face her, she said coldly, "Get to the map.Get to the map and use the spell. It'll drag me back with you... After that... something can be worked out. Just get to the map. Don't let her win.”

Unable to believe her ears, Twilight lunged forwards and grabbed Starlight by the shoulders. “There's no way you can hold her off!” She started to shake the unicorn, desperate to make her see sense. Recklessness would only get someone hurt.

“If you're fast enough I can. Just do it will you," Starlight snapped, trying to keep herself from lashing out. She needed every ounce of magic she could muster, and Twilight was not her enemy any longer. "We don't have time for any better ideas.”

“But-”

“Oh be quiet will you!” Starlight had had enough. Seizing the alicorn and dragon in her magic, she threw them away from the queen, back towards the town.

Flaring her wings, Twilight was able to right herself, before grabbing Spike in her magic. Without looking back she surged forwards, racing to the map. Starlight took a stance and glared at her alternate self.

For the first time, a flicker of anger marred the visage of Queen Glimmer, cracking her calm calculated mask. “You really are getting on my nerves with all your interruptions."

“And you're getting on my nerves with your hypocritical ego,” Starlight snorted, calling down another lightning strike from the angry black storm clouds she was generating.

“You use your emotions to fuel you." The queen tilted her head to admire the boiling storm above her. In her youth she would have been proud to accomplish something as powerful as that. “Rather impressive. I can see why you're such a threat even in your own world. It is a strength I gave up long ago...for a much more real power.”

Starlight hissed, and the storm only grew as her anger continued to swell. “Power that isn't even yours!" was all she was able to get out before she was thrown to the ground as Queen Glimmer's blast shattered her shield spell, like it was nothing more than thin glass.

“It is now. And it will only grow when I take your friend's cutie mark. Sadly I do not think that removing your cutie mark would do any good, as we are essentially the same.” She looked down on Starlight with curiosity, as if trying to ponder the validity of her assumption. The fallen unicorn gave her a heated glare in response then snarled, “I didn't let go of myself in exchange for superiority! And she's no friend of mine. Just better than you!” Before she could rise to her feet again, the queen caused a rock to sprout under her body and into her gut.

The force of the impact sent her sent her spiralling through the air, thoroughly winded. As she lay, battered and wheezing, Queen Starlight vanished. On reaction Starlight followed the other unicorn's warp, arriving just in time to take a blast meant for Twilight. Lucky for the Princess of Friendship and very unlucky for Starlight. The unicorn rolled across the ground from the strike. Coupled with winding she had received previously, the spinning was enough to make Starlight lose her last meal.

Queen Glimmer smirked, finding sadistic pleasure in watching her weaker self heave helplessly. “You are annoyingly persistent. I honestly forgot how bad I could be.” Thoroughly enjoying their little game, she decided to let it go on a little longer.

Her fur now marred by several scorch marks, Starlight struggled to her hooves. By now Twilight was out of range once again. Taking the blast had not been her intention but it was better than the alternative. Stealing a trick from her own book, she pulled a huge slab of rock from the ground at hurled it towards Queen Glimmer. With the roll of her eyes, the queen shattered the boulder and sent the piercing shards back at Starlight. A combination of dodging around and blasting with her horn meant that none of the deadly shards struck her. Without warning the ground underneath her exploded upwards and hurled her into the air, forcing her to catch herself with magic to avoid another bone shuddering fall.

She held any more quips to herself, needing all her focus. As a quick succession of blasts launched at her, she allowed herself to freefall several feet before commencing her levitation. A hefty cough racked her body, distracting her and allowing her counterpart to land another blast. This one seared her whole body, her skin boiling as the hot magic scorched her coat. An agonised scream tore from her throat. As if it was insubstantial her levitation spell was overwhelmed and she was manhandled into the ground. That sickly turquoise magic held her in place for a moment before it started to crush her into the surface of the earth.

“While this has been fun I do need to stop toying with you now,” the queen said nonchalantly, looming over Starlight as she continued to press her magic down on her opponent. “Just go to sleep like a good little filly and I'll come back for you. It is rather funny how you would risk so much for a pony you cannot stand.”

Starlight's breathing was shallow and slow, insufficient for any long-term survival. It felt like an entire house was forcing her down into the packed dirt. Her vision was starting to flicker and a fog was forming in her head. Her burning lungs demanded more oxygen, and her chest convulsed in a fruitless attempt to deepen her breaths. Closing her eyes, she allowed her thoughts to wander. She had lost, her vision was dead. Equestria would always be a society ripe with inequality and elitism. Special talents would continue to divide friendships. However, if friendships so powerful that all of Equestria depended on them could exist, then maybe it was right after all. It was certainly preferable to whatever false relationship this Starlight had with her Sunburst. At least she had been able to spend some time with her own Sunburst... as true friends.

* * *

Suddenly the pressure vanished completely and Starlight popped into existence atop a cloud. Able to breathe again Starlight began to gasp for air. The life-giving substance was the sweetest thing she had ever tasted. When she was finally done gulping down air to soothe her burning lungs, a lavender hoof appeared in her peripheral vision. Reaching out, she gently took the hoof in her own. It surprised her just how delicate her own hoof appeared compared to Twilight's. After allowing herself that small observation she gave a hard yank and dragged Twilight down on top of her.

Twilight yelped, as she was pulled down onto the cloud and on top of Starlight. Quickly shifting so that she was on top of the lavender mare, Starlight pinned Twilight in place. She used no magic, her own strength keeping Twilight down. "You took your sweet time!"

“I was moving as fast as I could!” Twilight shot back, feeling at ease despite the vulnerable position she was in.

“Too slow,” Starlight snorted, holding Twilight down for a few more seconds. They regarded each other, saying nothing. Then Starlight smirked and flopped back onto the fluffy cloud.

Looking upwards, she saw Spike standing over her. He looked down at her confused. Whether it was the relief, the oxygen starvation or the pain she would never know, but something made her raise her hooves and giggle like a filly with a new toy. “Hey! You don't have a cutie mark! Wanna be friends?!”

Without waiting for an answer she descended into a fit of giggles. Spike stared down at her, in utter disbelief. Here was the mare who had unwittingly destroyed Equestria several times over, had just met an all-powerful version of herself and had stalked them for months on end out of hatred only to risk her life to save them, who was now just giggling uncontrollably at their feet. It was adorable, in a weird way.

“Starlight...” Twilight sat up and looked over at her former enemy. Hearing her name, Starlight dragged herself into a sitting position as well. Taking a deep breath, Twilight reached out with a hoof to gently touch Starlight's shoulder. That the unicorn did not instantly flinch away, was a good sign. “I want to talk... if you don't mind.”

“Actually, I would love to.”

Everyone froze. A chill ran down all three spines at the mesmerising tones, laced with power. Standing on a cloud mere meters from them, was Queen Glimmer.

“I am going to blow that map of yours into a thousand pieces so that not even you would have the patience to put it back together again!” Starlight shrieked.

Stepping in front of both Spike and the weakened Starlight, Twilight demanded. “How did you get here?!”

“Truthfully I have no idea. Though I assume it has something to do with a map,” Queen Glimmer replied calmly, her gaze wandering to take in her new surroundings. “So... this is the world you hail from? Interesting...and according to your beliefs this is the main timeline?”

“Seems to be,” Spike shot at her, pushing himself forward to be level with Twilight's shoulder. “This is what Equestria can be if ponies like you don't mess everything up!”

He instantly recoiled as Queen Glimmer's sapphire gaze fell on him. She seemed to be deep in thought, her hoof gently tapping on the cloud she was perched upon. “Hmm...well then I shall simply have to move my efforts here. If this is the correct Equestria as you say then I shall simply have to correct its many flaws.”

“Everything originated here,” Twilight said, trying to dissuade the queen. “But the map brought us to your timeline separately. We don't know what relation your world has to this one. Any number of things could have happened.”

“As you say," Queen Glimmer replied. "And you seem like a truthful pony. However, I'm afraid that this has only doubled my resolve. If my Equestria and yours really do work side by side then I can use your map to protect them both. If not, then I must simply protect the true Equestria.”

Despite her injuries, Starlight found herself unable to stay out of the conversation any longer. She already had a plan to end this once and for all...again. “Can you just cut the pretence? Your protecting is just the same as ruling!”

Spike groaned and turned to the now standing unicorn. The unstable mare's anger would only inflame a situation Twilight was trying to diffuse, but there was no stopping her. With unsteady steps, Starlight came shoulder to shoulder with Twilight. She continued her verbal lashing at the queen's hypocrisy. “All you do is lord over your world and act better than everypony else! I don't know if we started out the same way but there's no way we believe the same now!”

Starlight then waited until the queen was formulating her response, before turning so her mouth was as close to Twilight's ear as she could get it. “If the Rainboom happens, everything resets. Stall her however possible. And cast a spell to make this go unnoticed. We don't need your friend getting distracted this time.”

Twilight nodded and discreetly went about casting the spell. She had barely placed the enchantment when Queen Glimmer finished once again calling out Starlight on her weakness. The alicorn could not disagree more. While it was true Starlight was misguided, the pony would fight hoof and horn for her beliefs. That dogged determination and passion were admirable. Even so, she had known when to throw in the towel. She was not about to allow a whole country to suffer for the actions of one small group of ponies. Now here she was, standing with them to protect the land they all loved.

Having gotten the message, Spike stepped forward as well. Together the three stood against the twisted queen. Bracing himself to hear that haunting voice for just a little longer, Spike asked, “How exactly do you plan on doing that?” It was the oldest trick in the book for distracting villains, make them talk about their evil plan.

“Well, I am very glad you asked,” Queen Glimmer purred, her horn glowing brightly. Starlight yelped as she felt herself be tugged by the incredible strength. With her prey in the air, Queen Glimmer continued. “I'm going to erase my weaker self from existence and take her place in your world. She's been rather interfering don't you think?”

Terrified at the thought of what was about to happen, Twilight worked her magic. No matter how hard she tried, she was unable to break the queen's hold on Starlight, who herself had barely any magic left to resist with. When her efforts died and she was left panting, it was all she could do to wheeze out futilely, "Let her go!"

Determined to stick to her plan to just keep the queen talking, no matter how long it took, Starlight hissed out, “There's no way you can just erase someone from existence! “That spell doesn't even exist!” She struggled weakly in her magical prison, refusing to show any sign of giving in again.

“Ponies did not think that removing a cutie mark was possible either, remember?” asked the queen, amused that her weaker self could have forgotten so easily. “But they do say seeing is believing.”

The light on her horn flashed intensely before going dark. For a moment Starlight felt nothing as she dropped back onto the cloud, then invisible talons began to tear into her. The unseen claws slashed and ripped her, leaving no visible mark. Instead, her whole form began to flicker, like a dying flame. She screamed and held her head in her hooves, desperately pouring her entire, pathetically diminished reserve of magic into fending off the unseen spell.

“Starlight!” Spike yelled, rushing over to her. He tried to place his claws on her comfortingly, only to have them pass right through her whenever her physical form flickered briefly out of existence.

Convinced that Starlight was now powerless, Queen Glimmer turned away dismissively. “Struggle all you want, it will only delay the inevitable Starlight..." She then focused her gaze on Twilight, who was completely rooted to the spot. "Now, since that has been taken care of its time to finish our business princess. Yours will be the first cutie mark I take in my quest to free Equestria from their tyranny.”

Twilight allowed her to gaze to pan around to the world she loved. The different young ponies flying around Cloudsdale, so happy to be together. She thought back to her own time, where ponies of all tribes would band together when the time came. Her group of friends cared not for their differing cutie marks or their differing tribes. All they cared about was that they were friends, who loved each other. All Twilight cared about now, was protecting them. She would defeat this queen, and defend her friends. With Starlight struggling to keep herself from fading, it was all up to her. No matter how outclassed she was.

Twilight took off, soaring into the sky with wings spread wide. Spike stayed on the ground this time, trying to encourage Starlight to hold on. The Rainboom would be happening soon, and then it would be all over. She just needed to hold on a little longer.

Now that her foe was rallying against her one last time, Queen Glimmer was done playing around. She knew what needed to be done, and Twilight's cutie mark would adorn her flank before she was done. This Equestria would be saved from itself, just as she had saved her own. “You can fly as fast as you want. But I believe you already know this trick.” So saying, she levitated herself into the air, wrapped in her own warped magic.

“I do,” Twilight responded icily, firing a concussive blast of energy from her horn.

She quickly had to react to the retaliatory blast, a surge of turquoise energy that burned her side even though it missed her by several inches. The alicorn inhaled deeply, exhaling after a short pause. As the rush of air escaped her lungs she cleared her mind. All idle thoughts were cast aside and replaced with her entire repertoire of spells. She recalled them all perfectly, despite the vast number. Just before the second blast reached her, she popped out of existence. Reappearing behind Queen Glimmer, Twilight released a surprise crystallisation enchantment.

Taken off guard the queen was struck by the spell. Despite the unicorn's quick escape, Twilight had already repositioned herself, demonstrating her mastery of the teleportation spell. Her magic reserves were still trying to recover from her battle with her Starlight. Stealing a quick glance, she saw that the race was well underway but had not yet reached the point where Rainbow Dash would be completing the Rainboom.

“You can't hide forever!” Queen Glimmer called out in a sing-song voice, not even bothering to try and keep up with Twilight's rapid transportations. The young alicorn would tire soon.

Her chance came when Twilight's dwindling magic faltered. Her spell failed and she merely reappeared in the exact same spot. Already expecting an incoming spell she threw up a much less intensive magical mist and drove her wings upwards. Now the queen would have to locate her inside the fog. Confident that she had a few moments reprieve, Twilight pooled her remaining power. It was meagre but would hopefully be enough. It would have to be.

Spike saw the danger before Twilight did, and he frantically tried to warn her. "Twilight! Look out!"

“Huh?” was all that Twilight was able to say before a huge blast of magic slammed into her. Her opponent had not even bothered to try and find her. She had simply attacked her entire hiding place with one all-encompassing attack. Flapping her wings frantically, Twilight was only just able to guide herself down onto the cloud with Spike and Starlight. The young dragon immediately helped her back to her feet, supporting her weight when she struggled to stand.

“You're sloppy," came Queen Glimmer's voice from above her. The mare was hovering directly above them, a symbolic showing of her place above all. "You haven't got the experience to take me on. I've battled all of Equestria's enemies and won. Surely you must see that I can protect Equestria better than anypony.”

“What you'd be protecting wouldn't be Equestria anymore,” Twilight argued, desperately vying for just a little more time. Starlight did not have much left. “It would be a shadow, living a falsehood. Nopony would realise their own potential, discover their passions. Nopony would be free to live how they want to. It would all be what you want.”

“All I want is for everypony to be equal. After that, they can do as they please." Queen Glimmer sighed inwardly, her patience starting to run thin. Getting them to see her goal was, proving to be futile.

“And what if they want their cutie marks back?!” challenged Twilight. Her wings were open again, every muscle tensed in case she had to take flight again.

“I would correct their mistake of course," came the bored response, coming from someone who could see nothing but their own ideas.

Starlight began to crawl forward. Every movement was an effort, as her body began to fade from existence. She was pouring everything into keeping herself attached to reality. Her counterpart began to bring energy to her horn. The sky darkened around them as immeasurable power was brought forth to a single point. Twilight felt her wing feathers ruffle as the air became heavy with energy. Matching the queen's actions she drew everything she had. All her love, all her hope, all her desire strengthened her. There was no way it would be enough. The queen would easily overpower her in a direct struggle, which was what it was coming to. Just a little longer and the Rainboom would save them...if they lasted that long.

Spike's presence gave the alicorn strength. No matter how bad things seemed, the little dragon would never leave her. He gave her his affection and his friendship no matter the circumstances. He was the most loyal assistant and friend one could ask for. Even as they faced certain doom his hand was gently resting on her shoulder. He would not allow her to face such a monster alone, even if his only contribution was companionship.

“Thank you Spike...” Twilight murmured, tears welling in her eyes. “For everything.”

Wiping away the moisture in his own eyes, he gave a dry chuckle. No matter the odds, he always had to try and support her. “Heh...anytime.”

That made up Starlight's mind. Her own fate did not matter anymore. One pony did not matter in the face of all of Equestria. Just as she had given up her quest for vengeance when Equestria was at stake, she would give up her struggle now. Twilight would make a Equestria a much happier place than she would. She reached out with a hoof and gently touched Twilight's leg. Her appearance was distorting badly now, as the spell hacked away at her very being. Lowering her barriers only intensified the excruciating agony. Fighting through the pain, she began to pour every last drop of her magical energy into Twilight. All sense of self-preservation was gone. The queen had to be stopped.

Twilight gasped, feeling the surge of power amplify her gathering magic. Looking behind her shoulder, her eyes widened in surprise, she saw Starlight on the ground with a hoof on her leg. Realising just what the mare was doing, Twilight's surprise turned to horror. Starlight was now fading in and out, becoming transparent for several heartbeats at a time. She could barely keep her head up, even as she continued to relinquish her magic to Twilight.

"Are you crazy!" Twilight tried to pull away, pleading with Starlight as she did so. The tether would not break, and more of Starlight's strength surged into her. "You need that magic! Don't do this!"

If she had the strength, Starlight would have rolled her eyes. Instead, she settled with simply refusing to follow Twilight's demands. This was something she needed to do.“Twilight... do me one last favour... shut up.”

The mare's voice was barely above a whisper, but it carried on the wind. Starlight was set on her course of action. A choked sob escaped Twilight, before she nodded. “Okay Starlight.”

“I was wrong okay..." Starlight sighed, her voice quiet as she strained to speak without trailing off into nothingness. "I've known it for a while... I was just too stubborn to let go. You were right about Equestria. We can't truly be friends by being the same. We have to embrace what makes us different and grow from each other. Static friendships are false friendships, and they don't last no matter how hard you try to make them. I should have just accepted it when everypony wanted their cutie mark back, but I instead blamed you.”

“Starlight...” Spike murmured, his claw now pressed gently against her flank. Even if she could only feel it fleetingly, it was better than nothing.

“It was stupid of me. All this is my fault...so now I'm fixing it. Take everything I have... and send her back to whatever it was she created... Please... Make Equestria better the right way...” A final cough punctuated the speech. With all of Starlight's magic now coursing through Twilight, the queen's evil spell was free to finish its task. She bit her tongue, not wanting to give her counterpart the satisfaction of hearing her scream one last time. She was gone with one final flicker. The space behind Twilight was empty.

“Touching. But that would mean my plan is complete." With a half shrug, Queen Glimmer descended to be face to face with Twilight for one final confrontation. “All I need to do now is take your cutie mark.”

Turning away from the now empty spot beside her, Twilight closed her eyes. This was going to end now, she would not let this queen harm anyone ever again. "No. You are not taking another cutie mark, or hurting anyone ever again."

Rising to her full height, the alicorn readied her magic. The magenta glow around her horn now sparkled with teal. Her whole body was burning. Not with searing pain, but with warm friendship. Spike, her oldest companion, and Starlight, her newest, both gave their all for her. Bolstered by the incredible power of their friendship and sacrifice, she unleashed her magic. Its form was the most primal and pure of all, a billowing pink flame of raw energy.

Cocky arrogance still played on Queen Glimmer's face as she launched her own attack. The two powers collided and they began to struggle for dominance. Spike clenched the claw that was resting at his side as he waited with bated breath for one blast to overcome the other.

Shock caused Queen Glimmer's eyes to widen as she felt the struggle shift against her. Tensing her muscles, she poured more energy into her strike. It was futile. Even when at her absolute limit she still felt her attack be steadily overwhelmed. How was this possible? The two were nothing compared to her! How could their strength be greater than hers when individually she had dominated them. It had to be a lie! It had to be!

Her mind was in overdrive, trying to come up with a plausible reason for her defeat. There was no denying it, she had lost. The pink flame reached her, licking at her coat. It was painless, but she could not resist its touch. It held her in place, clogging all her senses with its presence. Engulfed in the fire, she could barely make out a muffled boom sound before feeling herself be wrenched from the world she was invading. Even her spell to remain in the world had been overwritten and cast aside by this incredible magic.

Elation filled Twilight and Spike as the Rainboom erupted below them. Colours of all shades spread out in a breathtaking display. Their task was done. Everything was as it should be. For the final time, the map opened up a portal, ready to take them back. Gathering Spike up in her hooves, Twilight hugged the young dragon gently. He returned the gesture and both were silent as the map carried them home.

* * *

The map gently deposited the pair inside the Castle of Friendship, exactly where this whole adventure had begun. In tradition with their past experience, the landing was rough, and Twilight's rump would be protesting for days. Luckily for Spike, he was protected by his hard scales. The dragon felt a tug on his backpack as the spell Starlight had altered was lifted into the air and sucked into the maw of the time portal. With the spell gone to a place, it could do no more harm the portal imploded, causing a brilliant white flash to illuminate the entire castle and beyond.

Spike immediately leapt from Twilight's hoofs and began to kiss the familiar ground. Twilight rolled her eyes at his enthusiasm, though she certainly shared his relief.

Still, on the floor, Spike looked up at Twilight to exclaim, "One Castle of Friendship, check!"

The doors to the throne room suddenly opened, and the five ponies Twilight had yearned to see all day appeared. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Her friends, as she knew them and as they knew her.

Rarity was the one who eventually broke the stunned silence that followed. "What in Equestria was that?"

Immediately, Fluttershy had honed in on how battered the pair look. Whatever had happened, their friends had been through quite an ordeal. "Is everyone okay?"

“Can you do it again?” came Pinkie Pie, in true party pony fashion. Twilight was sure she never wanted to go through something like that again.

Elated to finally be done with their travels, Spike jabbed a claw towards the five ponies. "One group of amazing friends...check!"

“Yeah, Spike. It looks like we're home.” Twilight agreed, a small twinge of regret forming within her. She would have hoped to be saying that to another as well.

Applejack meanwhile was staring at something behind Twilight and did not look pleased. Her friends had apparently noticed as well, and their expressions had switched from concern to horror and fear. Rainbow looked ready to fly at someone and give them a piece of her mind.

Still glaring behind Twilight, Applejack narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "What's she doing here?"

“Huh?” both Spike and Twilight said in unison, whirling around to see just what Applejack was talking about.

Looking thoroughly exhausted, Starlight Glimmer was leaning against the table behind them. Her eyes were closed and the table was holding practically all of her weight.

Twilight's heart started to thump faster. It was not possible, yet it was happening. "Starlight!" was all her mind could think to say, yet the word came out with such emotion, it was all she needed.

Hearing her name, the mare's eyes snapped open. When she pushed off the table, Twilight and Spike were able to confirm what they already knew. Her flanks were adorned by a single cutie mark composed of a purple and white star with teal streams. This was their Starlight.

“W-what?!” she stammered, words spilling out as she tried to take in her surroundings. “Where... why... how?”

Seeing Starlight about to lose her balance and fall, Spike leapt into action. Using his claws, he grabbed her shoulder and took her weight onto him. His friends in the doorway all stared in confusion as they watched the little dragon allow their enemy to use him as a crutch. Looking between the scene and her group of friends, Twilight chuckled nervously. “It's... kind of a long story... a very long story...”

Having gotten some of her bearings back, Starlight snapped back to the defensive and let out a loud groan. “If this is just a long story, I am even more thankful that I am not you.”

Noticing her friends bristle at the abrasive comment, Twilight turned to Spike. “Spike, can you please take Starlight to one of the guest rooms? There's a lot of explaining to do.”

“Got it!” the young dragon nodded, proceeding to do what was asked of him. Starlight followed him quietly, her legs still unsteady.

Once they were alone Rarity stepped forward, voicing her concern. “Are you sure letting her be alone with Spike is such a good idea?” She then began biting her hoof in a very unladylike fashion. Spike meant a lot to all of them.

“I'm with Rarity on this one,” Pinkie Pie agreed. “She did try to steal all our cutie marks and locked us up. Plus... I remember all those smiles. They were not good smiles.”

Twilight sighed and moved to her throne. Everyone else followed suit towards the round table. This was going to be a very long story. Taking a deep breath, Twilight began. She left nothing out. When her throat began to dry, Fluttershy procured a glass of water for her. Everyone else just sat and listened to their friend's words, their faces a mixture of wonder and disbelief. Rainbow Dash particularly enjoyed the part about the importance of her Rainboom.

Meanwhile, Spike and Starlight were in the nearest guest room. Starlight could not have made it any further anyway. She laid down on the soft rug, not even wanting to attempt climbing onto the bed or into the chair. Spike shrugged and flopped onto the bed. Raising an eyebrow, Starlight gave him a quizzical look. “I thought you would be going back to your friends.”

Spike just shrugged his shoulders. “I was there. No need for me to hear the story again.”

“I guess...” Starlight sighed, resting her head on her hooves and allowing her eyes to close. “Remind me never to go on crazy revenge plots again...”

“Heh. Noted. I'm guessing that means you won't be trying to split us up again?” Spike asked, his voice sounding hopeful. Maybe this really all could just be over. It was a possibility he would not have considered earlier that day.

Shaking her head, Starlight exhaled deeply. Letting another sigh escape her, she raised her tired eyes to meet Spike's. The look she gave him told him all he needed to know. “Nope. I am done. I am going into hiding when Twilight is done with me and never showing my face to anypony again."

That caught Spike off guard, so he decided to ask for a little clarification. “What do you mean? About Twilight being done with you?”

Starlight lifted her head and fixed him with an unamused stare. “Seriously? Can we please drop the niceties? I am being thrown in a dungeon until it's deemed fine to release me.”

“I really doubt Twilight would do that...” Spike offered gently, now sitting on the edge of the bed and looking down at her. “I mean, you did kind of get erased from all of existence to save Equestria."

A shudder ran up Starlight's spine as she thought about just how lucky it was that she was laying here. When her alternate self had wiped her from existence it should have been permanent. Apparently, the map had other ideas. Or at least that was what she assumed had saved her. The map was a powerful enough artefact, and she had appeared right next to it. “Yeah... that was... weird, but it was just something I had to do.” Her tail curled around her body, providing some much needed security. Part of her wanted to break down sobbing.

“What did it feel like?” Spike regretted the question as soon as he asked it, prompting him to add, “Uh if you don't mind me asking.”

Deciding that she owed him a little, Starlight answered briskly.“It felt like being erased from existence." When Spike appeared unsatisfied, she closed her eyes and exhaled. “I mean it felt like nothing. I was just gone. One second I was on a cloud and the next I was in the castle. The only bits I really felt were the before and after. The before was... painful, and the after was like coming out from a really deep sleep. I barely knew where I was it was so disorientating.”

Snickering slightly, Spike had to agree with her assessment. “You did look a little bit spaced out."

A quick glare from Starlight silenced him. Even if she was barely able to stand, he had to admit she was still somewhat scary. “If I hadn't already dragged you through multiple timelines already I would be whirling you around just to see how you felt afterwards.”

“Heh, sorry,” Spike chuckled nervously, backing up slightly.

Starlight just nodded, biting her lip. The more the conversation dragged the more nervous she became. All this was doing was delaying the inevitable. Whatever they had in store for her would be coming. She deserved it of course, but could not will herself to just accept it. Every fibre of her being was dreading the looming punishment. At least knowing what was in store for her would make it a little more bearable The price for messing with time, threatening a princess and almost destroying all of Equestria was most definitely going to be severe.

“I can't do this...” she said finally, slowly getting to her feet. “I can't just wait here for them to decide what to do with me.”

The dragon sighed and hopped off the bed. “Starlight... it'll be fine...” he muttered, trying to coax her back down.

She blanked him, pushing open the door with her hoof. Her entire stance wobbled violently as she supported her weight on only three hooves. With a heavy sigh, Spike moved to her side, ready to catch her if she ended up collapsing. He was reminded of Twilight whenever she tried to study herself to death. Though admittedly he sympathised with Starlight here a little more.

“Wait here,” he ordered softly when they arrived at the large double doors.

As Starlight settled against the wall, Spike walked into the throne room. The conversation was still in full swing. The story had been told, and now the six were discussing what to do next.

“If Starlight's as powerful as all that, we can't just send her on her way...can we?” he heard Applejack say as he quietly made his way over to the table. “You said yourself that the one you met had all of Equestria under her hoof.”

“I know,” Twilight said softly, a light smile on her lips. “I actually have something else in mind.”

Already at the alicorn's side, Spike piped up, "You may wanna share it then. Starlight's getting a little antsy."

A blush reddened Twilight's cheeks briefly. She had not even considered that. Clearing her throat, she gave Spike a nod. “Oh... right. Sorry, Spike. Can you bring her in please?"

Opening the door once again, he ushered Starlight inside with a claw. The unicorn grimaced and stood up. Swallowing nervously, she forced herself to take two deep breaths before walking into the room. Now all eyes were on her. Mustering her courage and strength, she spoke, “I know there's no excuse for what I did...but I want you all to know that I'm ready for whatever punishment you think is fair.”

Twilight stepped forward, taking in the sight before her. Starlight was exhausted and beaten, yet still fully accepting of whatever wrong she had committed. “I've been thinking a lot about how badly Equestria fared without just one group of friends. Because when even one friendship dies... the results can be disastrous.”

“I know firsthoof just how true that can be." Starlight appeared downcast, her gaze dropping to the floor. The catalyst for this entire event had been one lost friendship, and trying to break up another had almost cost Equestria dearly.

“Sunburst?” Twilight asked. Starlight only nodded and folded her ears back, prompting the alicorn to continue, “I don't know exactly what happened back then... but I do know that all friendships are important. Including ours.”

Starlight froze, certain that she had misheard the alicorn. Of all the things she had heard from Twilight today, that threw her for the loop the most. “Wait... what?”

A small smile graced Twilight's lips, emanating the same warmth as it had in her mind. When the alicorn spoke again, Starlight felt the same fluffy feeling blossom in her chest. “I was only able to defeat the queen with your help. Your magic gave me the strength to win, and you didn't care what it would cost you.”

“I agree with Twilight darling,” Rarity said kindly. “While you may not have had the best of intentions from the start, you certainly pulled through in the end.”

“Yeah, I guess if we can forgive Discord then we can forgive you,” Rainbow added, and Starlight found herself forced to look upwards at the hovering pegasus. “Even if you did try to stop the most awesome Sonic Rainboom ever!”

Applejack, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie all nodded heartily. The latter appeared ready to spring, which made Starlight even more nervous than she was already. Hearing Twilight start to speak, she turned back to the alicorn.

Twilight was hoping that Starlight would accept her offer. It would be a great waste of her talents if she did not. As princess it was her duty and pleasure to spread friendship across the land. She firmly believed herself when she said that she and Starlight could be friends...she hoped Starlight did as well. “Which is why, if you're willing to learn, I'm willing you teach you what I know. You can stay here at the castle and learn all about the magic of friendship. With it, you could have the power to help make Equestria a better place. You have a lot of potential Starlight. We only saw one side of it today.”

Starlight gulped as she considered her options. Learn friendship from Twilight, or continue to be alone and potentially spiral down into the maniacal pony she had just fought against. The answer came to her easily, this time without an imaginary Twilight appearing in her head. Leaning into Twilight she whispered, “But...how do I start?”

“Starting is easy." Twilight placed a hoof on Starlight's shoulder as she laughed, both out of relief and happiness, “All you have to do is make a friend. And you have seven of them right here.”

The ponies that she had once all called her enemies all moved in to circle her. They beamed at her, faces completely devoid of any negative feelings towards her. Humbled by their forgiveness, she brought her hoof up to her chest. Her heart was hammering beneath it. Joy filled her as she looked around at all the happy faces staring up at her.

With the whole world spinning around her, all she could whisper was a simple overwhelmed, "Thank you..." A loud growl emanated from her stomach. The only meal she had eaten today was back in the alternate future. As the wave of dizziness forced her onto her haunches, she heard Applejack call out. “Alright everpony. These three have had one doozy of a day. Let's all back up a bit. We can do all the smothering a little bit later.”

Pinkie Pie pouted, deflating a little at being denied the opportunity to embrace their new friend with a traditional Pinkie Pie hug. “Aww but I like smothering...” Her visage immediately brightened. “This calls for a party! I'm gonna go make a cake!”

Before any pony could respond she was out of the door, boasting speeds only Rainbow could match. Applejack tipped her hat and made to leave as well. “I'll go see if I can convince Granny Smith to whip us up some of her special apple fritters and the like for lunch. Give Spike a break for today.”

“I'll come too!” volunteered Rainbow immediately, the idea of cider making her mouth water.

Applejack rolled her eyes at the eagerness of the pegasus but did not complain. Two ponies would be able to carry more back than one.

Rarity and Fluttershy both excused themselves to go and pick up some gems for Spike. The young dragon's ears perked up at that. When only the three time travellers remained, Twilight allowed herself to flop onto the floor. Starlight turned to her. “Your friends sure are something...” she chuckled, unsure if that was quite how she wanted to put it.

Nodding slowly, Twilight gently nuzzled Starlight's cheek, this time without any fear of rebuke. “Yeah...they are...” She wrapped a wing around Spike as he snuggled into her flank before continuing. “They're your friends now too.”

Starlight sighed heavily and once again bit her lip. It was an annoying habit she would have to break. “It might take me a bit to get used to that idea... I haven't had a friend since Sunburst. Even though I deluded myself otherwise.”

“Well you'll have plenty of time to get used to it,” Twilight replied.

Letting her eyelids droop a little, Starlight laid down. She stretched out onto the floor, allowing herself to become partially comfortable. “Yeah...thanks...again. For everything... I'll try not to disappoint.”

“I'm sure you won't disappoint,” Spike said with a grin. “And to answer your earlier question. Yes.”

Now Starlight was just confused, something she let become plain on her face. “What question?”

“Hey! You don't have a cutie mark! Wanna be friends?!” Spike mimicked, doing a fair impression of a giddy Starlight.

The actual Starlight blanched as she recalled her moment of silliness on the cloud. Spike and Twilight both chortled at her mortified expression. This quickly faded into a small smile and she said softly, “Thanks, Spike.”

Twilight's heart swelled as she watched her two friends. With Spike snuggling her on one side, she extended a wing and pulled Starlight a little closer. Excitement bubbled within her at the prospect of what was to come. She had a student to teach, her very own student.

“Oh, this is going to be so fun! I have a student!” Twilight giggled giddily, already feeling inspiration for lesson plans running through her thoughts.

Starlight rolled her eyes at Twilight's enthusiasm. Then a realisation struck her. She started to make a show of gagging in revulsion. Twilight and Spike both stared at her, startled by this sudden outburst. Once she had their attention she flashed a cheeky grin at them. “That means I get Twilight lectures every day. Yuck!”

She winked at them both. Twilight's eyes flashed mischievously for a moment before, in as stern a voice as she could manage, she said, “Well, you did try to mess with time. There has to be some punishment for such actions my student.”

For a moment all was still until neither mare could take it any longer. Both burst out into hearty laughter and fell against each other, still laughing. While they were bathing in their mirth, Spike grinned. Clambering over Twilight, he wrapped his arms around both of the giggling ponies. This was going to be fun.

Author's Note:

Hi guys, me again. I hope you all enjoyed this story. It was just something that came to me at total random. While I did enjoy the season 5 finale I felt that the redemption of Starlight Glimmer was rushed. I guess almost a year later this is what my head came up with. Again, I hope you found enjoyment reading this and if you have any criticisms please feel free to leave a comment.

Have a great day all!

Comments ( 32 )

This literally blows my mind. :pinkiehappy: It's a much more awesome telling of the season five finale.

I loved how the characters were portrayed in this story more, as it adds some missing character development that was well needed in the finally. :twilightblush:

Starlight sacrificing herself was a good part, and I believe it would made an even bigger yet sadder impact if she didn't came, or at least did came back but fractured. (e.g. in a deep coma, damaged memories, amnesia.) Not saying that I hate her because that would be really petty to think so and I actually find Starlight to be an amazing character. :coolphoto:

Anyways, loved the story and enjoyed reading it. :rainbowdetermined2:

7363895 Thank you for the comment. I am very glad you enjoyed.

The issue with Starlight being damaged or not coming back is I was trying to keep it within Season 6's canon. This was just an add on. So since she came back in Season 6 she had to come back here. Plus I admit I prefer happy endings, though I do make my characters earn them usually :raritywink:

If I ever write a second chapter/sequel to this to give my take on the montage that happened at the end of the episode (I wasn't a huge fan of it but I do understand that they had to round of the episode in case disaster struck and Season 6 didn't happen) then I'll consider the idea. Nothing big or life altering but just a little constant reminder.

Okay before I start rambling. Once again, thank you for your comment. Very glad you enjoyed the story. :pinkiehappy:

Quite a nice concept. It's a bit hard to read, though, mainly due to unobvious scene transitions and frequent lack of indication of who's talking.

Starlight's PoV -> This was just what she needed- a bunch of slack jawed ponies gawking at her weeping like a filly. She launched herself to her feet, fully prepared to give them all a piece of her mind. What happened next stunned her.

Twilight's PoV -> Twilight shifted uneasily. Spike was clinging to her leg, digging his claws in tight.

Here's an example. Separating these with horizontal rules


like so (use [hr] for these) works well. I'd advise using them at the very least when you switch between points of view, and also whenever you have timeskips.

'I never wanted to be superior...' she thought weakly. 'I just wanted... I just wanted ponies to need me...'

Talking in 'single' quotes is for when one character's quoting another. [i]Italics[/i] work much more nicely for thought.

“I know firsthoof just how true that can be,” Starlight said sadly, looking downcast.

Quoting the show in different contexts can make for good comedy or drama, but I don't recommend doing it when you're essentially retelling canon (with the exception of the opening line in point-of-divergence AUs). It sends the message to the reader that they already know what's going to happen and should just skim the next bit, and it's not like you want part of your fic to be ignored.

Also, all your dialogue is either standalone or "words words words," someone verbed. That tends to create a little awkwardness when you have to choose between looking for increasingly esoteric synonyms for said, being redundant, or not even indicating who talked. Ponies are super expressive and have a ton of conveniently mobile appendages for writing body language, so while it's not a rule, I recommend doing stuff like this instead:

"I know firsthoof just how true that can be." Starlight's tail flicked once, eyes drooping to the floor.

Finally, there's just a lot of miscellaneous missing commas and quotation marks in general. Since that's purely mechanical rather than stylistic, there's not much advice I can give besides just paying attention to well-written and/or professionally edited works, and giving everything a good once-over for punctuation after you write it.

7742486 Thanks for the comment. This'll help a lot.

I've never really wanted to use the line transition personally. It just felt like cheating. Books don't use it. If it's necessary I'll start using them. Until then I'll try and think of other ways to make transitions more obvious.

The dialogue thing, yeah, I've noticed but never really been able to figure out in my own head how to work around it. Your suggestion should work well, so thanks.

The quoting the show thing. I fought with that a bit myself but I decided I wanted it just to keep it a bit closer to canon. This is supposed to slot in between the two scenes, with a little bit added. I can see what you mean but I didn't want to stray away from the scenes I wanted to keep just for the sake of straying away. I dunno if that makes sense or not.

Thanks for the comment, again. I'll use it to improve. Or at least I'll try too anyway.

Have a nice day.

(Edit. And I finished editing, so hopefully any future readers find that a little less awkward. Thanks for the help again. It means a lot.)

7743124 A lot of books actually do use some form of breaks for changes too small for a chapter break, but still significant. Sometimes it'll be three centered asterisks, it's not usually a flat line. But keep in mind that books have physical pages to work with, and the internet's just a different medium with different conventions. There's a lot of other stuff fanfiction can do that "real" books can't which is arguably more cheating, like running for three million words without worrying about the book being physically holdable, borrowing someone else's characters and setting, or being published before they're done.

If you don't want to, though, it's fine. There's other ways to achieve the same effect.

The best advice I can give for getting the feel of action tag dialogue: imagine a talented artist reads your story, likes it, and wants to do some fanart of a scene. They're pretty good at imagining things, and will fill in all the blanks so it looks like a complete image. What you want to do is provide details they won't be able to come up with on their own, or at least would have to do some pretty intense guesswork for. Here's an example (from me, not copied from the story):

"Mwaaa ha ha ha! Listen to my long-winded, expository rant of how screwed you are!" Queen Glimmer gloated, leering down at Starlight.

"Sorry, could you repeat that?" Starlight asked, stalling for time.

So what would an artist be able to tell about the two from that? Well, Queen Glimmer's probably standing on higher ground, she's enjoying herself, and she's looking at Starlight. Not bad, though it's hugely open how she's doing this: is she walking forward? Pointing a hoof? About to leave, looking over her shoulder? Or is she just standing there, doing nothing?

A good artist probably wouldn't pick the last one because it's boring, but you haven't ruled anything out, and the odds of the scene matching what you initially had in mind are pretty low. Never mind that there's no indication of what Starlight herself is looking like. Here's another way to write it:

"Mwaaa ha ha ha! Listen to my long-winded, expository rant of how screwed you are!" Queen Glimmer reared up, holding a hoof across her chest.

Starlight blinked, smiling slyly. "Sorry, could you repeat that?"

What could an artist take from that, instead? Well, Queen Glimmer's pose is pretty clear. Ponies in the show do that from time to time, so it's easy to fill in the blanks: one hoof across her chest, the other's probably off to the side, gesturing. Judging by the fact that Starlight can get away with smiling, her eyes are probably closed too. Nothing's lost from the old versions- it's clear from their postures that Queen Glimmer is gloating (and above Starlight), while Starlight is trying to pull a fast one. In fact, the combination of knowing what Starlight's doing and how she feels about it (sly = optimistic) tells pretty much everything needed to extrapolate the rest of her features.

Basically, if you can use character expressions and postures to indicate what they're thinking, what they're doing will usually be more obvious. One warning, though: ears and tails are cute. Talking a bunch about them on a character who very much wants to be liked is massively endearing and pretty much always makes people like your story and/or cast more. Talking about them on a crime-committing villain or an insane protagonist is really unsettling. Use that wisely, and only when you want a threat to graduate from serious to creepy.

7743716 Yeah fair enough. I get what you're saying. I'll work on it. Thanks.

Good story. Wonder if Alex Warlon saw it.

7821983 Thanks for the comment. Dunno who that is, so I can't say if they saw it, but thanks for reading. Have a good day.

7821990

alexwarlon.deviantart.com Nice guy, though rather a fan of Starlight Glimmer.

Yeah…that ending was rushed. This is much less abrupt. I like it.

Whence I was linked.


Corrections offered without malice.

“Thanks Spike,”

“Thanks, Spike,”
(Why all these commas on 'to whom one is speaking'? The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocative_case is set off by commas.)

put on another ponies cutie mark?!”

pony's

“Yes, “I would have

“Yes, I

over a millennia

a millennium
You may want to add some sort of scene break (like [hr]) due to the update…oh, it looks like you didn't have one before, by the comments. 7743124

Books don't use it

Some do.
At least some extra line breaks might be nice. A more common than a horizontal rule (what hr is short for) is a [center][size=1.5em]* * *[/size][/center]

* * *

as if she was discussing the weather with them,

as if she were

quiet I can and I will.

quiet. “I

Relishing in the control

Relishing the control (or, Reveling in the control)

her play thing.

plaything.

why not use that strength to understand the world instead.

instead?

Mourn lost ones but do not allow them to define you. Starlight Glimmer it

Mourn lost ones, but do not allow them to define you. Starlight Glimmer, it

map.Get

map. Get

“If you're fast enough I can. Just do it will you,"

“If you're fast enough, I can. Just do it, will you?”

"We don't

“We

“Oh be quiet will you!”

quiet, will you!?”

a society ripe with inequality and elitism.

rife

existence! “That spell

existence! That spell

its time to finish our business princess.

it's time to finish our business, Princess.
(Princess is capitalized, as it is a title standing in for a name.)

a lot of potential Starlight.

potential, Starlight.

“Thanks Spike.”

“Thanks, Spike.”

8234403 Yeah I'm starting to become a lot less stubborn about the whole *** thing to break up lines. I should probably go back and put them in this yeah. I'll make sure to do that, along with fixing the other errors you put up. Thanks for that by the way. :P

Huh. I had no idea that my story had even been mentioned there. That's a little...huh, not sure what to say about it. Welp, glad you liked it anyway. It wasn't intended as a fix fic per say it was just kind of another idea I had. My brain kind of latched onto the rushed redemption and I suppose I just wanted to stretch it out a little. As I didn't have the restriction of 44 minutes I could kind of go where I wanted and this came out. As it was I wanted the actual resolution to be similar, Starlight just had to work a little more for her second chance. Okay, a lot more but you get the idea. Thanks for the comment, have a nice day!

8234425
Well, the comment did say this was a fixfic that did work. I kinda don't think it's really a fixfic per se, as it doesn't truly change the plot…just adding another, oh, episode's worth of arc to Starlight's choice.
And hey, with the new site update, the


comes with its own three stars.

8234446 Huh. Oh, I just did the three stars thing. :P It really did need at least a few. Maybe it could do with some more but I was sorta conservative.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's not a fixfic so much as it is a "What could the writers have done if they had more time?" kind of thing. I liked what was there I just wanted to add a bit more. Still, if people think it works I'm glad. That's kinda why I wrote it, hehe.

I loved everything about this story! It had amazing writing, interesting plot, great, accurate characters, nice plot twists, and anything else you could think of! my only gripes are that I didn't read this sooner and that there isn't more. Incredible job, this is going into my Super Favourites! :twilightsmile:

Indeed was a very nice story and flowed well. Thr shole tKs on a power craved starlight was creepy. And the erased from existence never seen thafcbefre. Or at least no yet .

Cute story! :twilightsmile:
The only problem I see is that Queen Starlight is supposed to be evil here, but we are never shown how exactly is she bad, quite the opposite actually: she successfully dealt with Nightmare Moon while being a regular unicorn, she defeated Sombra outperforming Celestia, she even outperformed Twilight with other villains --- her Equestria is safer (the only possible drawback is not having Discord as ally). She treated three weird guys who openly intended to erase her timeline rather nicely offering them an ok life in her community if they hand down their power. She likely even weren't going to kill anyone up until the point where they almost won and it was either her or original Starlight. The only things against her is that she monologues evilly and life in her country seems a bit boring at first glance.

8629761
She isn't evil per se, which is the point. She's too far gone. Like Starlight before Season 6, she doesn't take no for an answer. It's her way or no way. Yes, she's protecting Equestria but if she loses then her Equestria is done. If Celestia and Luna lose, then Twilight and co step in. If they can't do it then Starlight, Discord or someone else will.

There's no doubt the trio could have handled this better, but Queen Glimmy was immediately on the offensive. She was taking their marks the moment they arrived, whether they were just passing through or not. Plus, Twilight and Spike had been going through horrible future after horrible future, while Starlight was still in six minds about everything. They were not equipped to talk her down and deal with her, they just had to run. She made it personal when her ambition to protect overrode all sense and she threatened their world as well.

Thanks for the comment. I enjoy when readers challenge bits of my story. It's fun. Feel free to comment again. Have a nice day!

8629776
I probably shouldn't have used word "evil" --- it's a too vague notion. "Wrong" it better, I think. And she isn't wrong on these two points:

Yes, she's protecting Equestria but if she loses then her Equestria is done. If Celestia and Luna lose, then Twilight and co step in.

She is (if not lying) consistently wining where all of these guys lost and had to rely on villain's unwillingness to kill or seriously harm and deus ex machina. De-facto she is an improvement in safety.

...but Queen Glimmy was immediately on the offensive. She was taking their marks the moment they arrived, whether they were just passing through or not.

Which is actually responsible thing to do for a ruler: powerful guys popped out of nowhere are potential threat and Twilight's mark is a very useful tool to protect her subjects --- she is rather nice to them here leaving possibility to renegotiate later. And just after that she finds out that they are probably an existential threat to her universe. To not use avada kedavra with all she's got at this point is suicidally nice (the only potentially good reason I see is to want information from them).

Have a nice day!

It's a middle of the night here :pinkiehappy:

8629899
Fair enough. I see your point, though I would call it cocky over nice. Maybe a little nice, she does think of herself as benevolent.

True she's is effective but there is still no fallback. She is Equestria now in a sense. There are no great minds like Sunburst and Twilight, there are no great warriors who can protect ponies if she is otherwise engaged. It would not have to be a villain, it could be a dispute or famine that she was unable to rectify in time.

She is I feel a pony they can try and talk to under less stressful circumstances later. They would just need a lot of backup because she would not show them the same mercy again.

Hehe it's night here too. I shall amend my statement to say I hope you had a good day and also have a good night.

Edit: In my mind, Starlight still thinks her equality doctrine has some merit, especially here. She just sees her old methods and also Queen Glimmer's as far too extreme. At first, ponies came to them because they wanted to, eventually learning something in the process. When they started using force, and when they started exempting themselves from their own doctrine, that's when Starlight finally felt the line had been crossed.

8629921

She is I feel a pony they can try and talk to under less stressful circumstances later.

I don't see how they would get around "hey, my stuff works better than your stuff, like in real life" counterargument. I'd read it :twilightsmile:

Starlight still thinks her equality doctrine has some merit

You mean actual Starlight from the show? Hard to say, the show never stated what she thought explicitly. Using indirect derivation I would say that she didn't think so even at the time of her revenge because:
A. if you have important social changes to bring you wouldn't spend time toying with angry powerful alicorns in time loop, and
B. she never said that her town was a good idea during the fight, only that she was happy there.
Although the show usually is not bothering itself with portraying very consistent behaviour.

When they started using force, and when they started exempting themselves from their own doctrine, that's when Starlight finally felt the line had been crossed.

The problems with "Our Town" were unhappiness and lesser life quality in comparison to the rest of Equestria with no compensating benefits. And those were present even before Starlight lied or used force
derpicdn.net/img/2015/12/20/1048426/large.png

8639792
Well, you can have a lot of discussions when you aren't trying to kill each other. Maybe they'd be able to reach a compromise. Definitely, something I'm going to have to think of doing. Queen Glimmer is fun. How mad can a mad pony get when far too much goes their way?

They never bring it up really but I don't think she would fight for it so hard if she didn't think it was a good idea. They really should have had an episode where she struggled with her past beliefs bleeding over into her reformed life. They did not, which sucks but that's what fanfiction is for. Starlight is a very driven pony. She believed in her town, though her planning definitely could have used work. Nothing was going to threaten it. She is also, very impulsive. When something threatens her life's work, that becomes her point of fixation. Twilight was a pony she had to get out of her way before she could bring herself to try again. At least, that's my view on it. Show doesn't give a whole lot sadly but my brain is far too eager to improvise

The problems were present, yeah but Starlight didn't see them. She only saw them, in this story at least, when Twilight showed her how badly her revenge plot was going. That shook her to the core, and then when she met Double Diamond and company they treated her like royalty, rather than a friend. She was always the leader of the town but she at least tried to mingle with them. So I kind of imagine that present Starlight is still in the naive stage where she wants to change Equestria through equality and choice. Queen Glimmer is at the stage where she realised that wasn't working so she basically blasted everything out of her way and became the defacto protector. Basically, Starlight is still naive and impulsive, Queen Glimmer became cold and calculating in a world that was far harsher thanks to the lack of Elements. She took charge because no one else would. Starlight did not have to until she was already reformed and ready.

Also, thanks for the follow, and the discussion. This is fun.

8639842
Yeah, extrapolating from the show can be fun :twilightsmile:

Twilight was a pony she had to get out of her way before she could bring herself to try again.

I honestly don't see Starlight thinking like:

Hmm, how could I get rid of Twilight? Oh, I know: I'm going to time-travel back, drag Twilight with me and fight her there!

instead of something like:

Hmm, how could I get rid of Twilight? Oh, I know: I'm going to put remote controlled bomb under Twilight's throne and blow her up when she sit / hide in castle passage and thrust magic bolt through her skull from behind.

Pretty specifically tailored and kinda complicated assumptions are needed to generate full observation set. The simplest I come up with:

  • She has nothing better to do than try to implement overcomplicated revenge plots (i.e. no social changes planned, she probably haven't even considered what happened with herself after revenge).
  • She likely thinks that Twilight took everything, including hope, from her and want to take everything from Twilight in return or at least make her suffer (i.e. just killing her is not enough)
  • She knows that Twilight's friends are everything for her.
  • She cares about not hurting third parties enough that something simple like making Twilight watch how she is slowly cutting open her friends is not suitable.

In this context Starlight's actions make surprisingly a lot of sense.
Really sad picture actually :pinkiesad2:

8644268
Not sure she ever wanted to hurt Twilight physically. Well, not much anyway. She was content to crystalise her and make her watch. The fact that Twilight was dragged to futures more terrible than anything Starlight could dream up was unintended. When I say "get out of her way" I meant it more psychologically and metaphorically than literally and physically. Starlight needed to beat Twilight, prove that her way was better. Twilight threw down the gauntlet in a way when she dismantled Starlight's town and Starlight picked it up with gusto. It was the challenge, and the relevance of the revenge that was important, not the eventual win. Also, Starlight's plans tend to suck...she just has enough oomph to make them function to a point. She has a hard time seeing past the initial point, or she just misses it entirely. It's sorta adorable as long as she isn't trying to actively stop you. Compare her Molwurth plan, or the one in Every Little Thing She Does, to Queen Chrysalis. Both actual plans she took even a little time to think up failed miserably. The defeat of Chrysalis worked because it was something she managed to put together on the fly. She put two and two together rather than trying to put one, two, three, four and five into a giant blender to get two back.

Both she and Queen Glimmer immediately went on the offensive as soon as they felt threatened. There was no real discussion, no diplomacy. Neither Twilight nor her friends were leaving with their cutie marks, that much was made abundantly clear very early on. In Cutie Map they started meddling, here they just wanted to leave. It did not matter in the end, neither Starlight was willing to take no for an answer. That's ultimately what makes them wrong. Queen Glimmer protecting everyone is a good thing, but they've lost everything in the process. They have free will...to a point but life under the equal sign isn't really a good one. The ponies were immediately happier the moment they got them back. Whatever made them want to give them up in the first place was long gone.

I'm sorta answering several different discussion points at once here. Neither of them is evil, or particularly malicious. They're easily slighted, at least season 5 Starlight is, and quick to throw everything at a half-baked solution. It didn't work for Starlight because the world was a lot more stable. She needed to adapt to it before things started to go her way. Queen Glimmer lived in a far harsher Equestria, with no real defence mechanism. The Elements were never found, Celestia was starting to crumble, Luna was still Nightmare Moon and Cadance had far less guidance. She stepped up initially, which was awesome. Unfortunately, ambition began to cloud her initial goal of equality in all things to a sort of misguided "I need to protect everything." She protects Equestria because it cannot defend itself, which is partially her fault. No one was in a position to deal with and talk things through. Twilight was tired, Starlight was peeved off and Queen Glimmer had too little doubt in her own abilities. Actually, she had none... so they had no leeway to grasp. Like I said, maybe next time will be different, maybe it won't. I still have to write it so only time will tell.

8649069
Sorry for a tiny bit delayed reply: I kinda got distracted and then I forgot :twilightsheepish:
I've engaged in a similar discussion today and remembered :yay:

Not sure she ever wanted to hurt Twilight physically. ... and the relevance of the revenge that was important, not the eventual win.

Yes, this is just a description of what happened in the episode, and it is true. The question is why it's true, because it looks very weird: supposedly Starlight just needs to travel back in time and tell her past self to paint her butt with water insoluble paint, for example, --- problem solved.

The defeat of Chrysalis worked because it was something she managed to put together on the fly.

More likely because of deus ex machina :rainbowlaugh:

Queen Glimmer protecting everyone is a good thing, but they've lost everything in the process. They have free will...to a point but life under the equal sign isn't really a good one.

I don't know what is "free will", but the question was about rational choice and who's a bad guy. Let's denote normal state of Equestria as N, state where everyone is dead as D and state where Equestria is one big Starlight's town as S. Normally your preferences would be:

 D < S < N 

Let's pull out Von Neumann–Morgenstern axiom 3 and notice that there exists a number 0 < p < 1, that:

(1 - p)D + pN \sim S

(with means that situation, where probability of N is p and probability of D is (1 - p), is equally as preferable as S). Then if Celestia's chance of success is less then p we should rationally prefer Starlight's stuff. And there are no reason in the story to assume that Celestia's (or even Celestia + Twilight's) chance is better then p: who is the bad guy here is an open ethical question.

One, nice to include Starlight trying again and again to remove her own cutie mark, that actually fits her character, along with her calling it a 'parasite.'

And we see a Starlight Glimmer with four cutie marks, in short, having become everything she hates.

Nice to have Starlight NOT just march in and take it all by force, THIS IS FAR MORE INTERESTING!!!

“It's just... it goes against everything I've ever heard of...”

-_- How? It's how Twilight became a Princess to begin with.

All of our special talents are what makes Equestria special. We don't need to be the same to be friends.

But can you say a pony with a cutie mark for garbage disposal, and a pony with a cutie mark for quantum physics are equal?

All because of me!”

A phrase I imagine Starlight despises.

The only four words more destructive than 'for the greater good' are 'Me! Me! Me! Me!'

Starlight wanted a word devoid of superiors and inferiors, of masters and servants, can yo say that's wrong?

8771604
The fact that this whole mess could be avoided with water-insoluble butt paint is actually really funny to think about.

Good guy bad guy it's all a little bit vague. This is a case where everyone sort of thinks that they are right, at least until they're tested. The only one who was tested in this story really was Starlight. Her viewpoint was tested and when she saw what she had the potential to come, she shied away and sided with Twilight. Whether that was a good choice considering that Queen Glimmer is able to protect Equestria, at least to a considerable degree, is debatable. Is it better to be all of yourself but under constant danger, or to be completely reliant on an overlord who is benevolent but inexperienced, young and could ultimately fail? If Queen Glimmer falls, the cutie marks won't just magically go back to everyone so that the mane 6 or the entirety of Equestria can rise up to save the day, they'll still be trapped in the vault. Not absolutely unreachable but not desirable either.


8825177

One, nice to include Starlight trying again and again to remove her own cutie mark, that actually fits her character, along with her calling it a 'parasite.'

Yep, that was something I really wanted to do. I was always sold on her vendetta against cutie marks. I can see how it could be interpreted differently but I bought it. She's lashing out with only a vague idea of what she's lashing out at since she's essentially locked in the mentality of the filly that watched her best friend be torn away. It isn't well thought out and comes out of nowhere logical because that's just how kids work sometimes./

And we see a Starlight Glimmer with four cutie marks, in short, having become everything she hates.

Yup. Though it's more the status that Queen Glimmer has laid upon herself, rather than the presence of cutie marks, that infuriates Starlight.

Nice to have Starlight NOT just march in and take it all by force, THIS IS FAR MORE INTERESTING!!!

One thing having 4 cutie marks did to Queen Glimmer was give her something of an ego, as you see when she starts to unhinge. Though, in a way, she's already unhinged. Having 4 cutie marks, 4 destinies essentially, pulling on her, was what started all this. As soon as she planted Nightmare's cutie mark on herself and didn't remove it, she essentially screwed up her entire being. Adding more and more cutie marks to herself, especially powerful alicorn ones, is only pulling her in more directions and adding more and more responsibilities that she won't be able to handle.

“It's just... it goes against everything I've ever heard of...”

-_- How? It's how Twilight became a Princess to begin with.

Twilight saw cutie marks swapped around and time was altered in some way to do so.Or at least the perception of time was. There were massive negative effects and the ponies involved were unable to actually utilise the talents they were gifted with. This is something different. This is a pony who ripped off a cutie mark and then transplanted it onto themselves in such a way that allowed full use of its magical potential. With side effects admittedly. Essentially, swapping cutie marks is a very bad thing that has never worked out for Twilight in the past. She also saw Apple Bloom afflicted with cutie pox and saw the damage that almost caused. A pony just strutting around with 4, no matter how unhinged, is just baffling to her by the book nature.

All of our special talents are what makes Equestria special. We don't need to be the same to be friends.

But can you say a pony with a cutie mark for garbage disposal, and a pony with a cutie mark for quantum physics are equal?

Eh, friends can crop up between the most unlikely of people. You can be equal in many ways that don't necessarily mean that what you do is of equal importance. To some, a party planner is a waste of time... but sometimes a pony like Pinkie Pie is exactly what you need in the world.

All because of me!”

A phrase I imagine Starlight despises.

The only four words more destructive than 'for the greater good' are 'Me! Me! Me! Me!'

Starlight herself was developing a bit of that in the season 5 opener, talking about all the real friendships she gave ponies.I think the difference is that doing so did not make her more important than them, it just made her more trustworthy(in her eyes) than a bunch of weird ponies who were trying to ruin everything. Starlight does have a lot of pride, even if her defeat shattered a lot of it, the pride is creeping back. Though, what's fun about her is that you sometimes wonder how much she's trying to convince herself rather than other ponies.

Starlight wanted a word devoid of superiors and inferiors, of masters and servants, can yo say that's wrong?

I can't know. But I can say that going about in such a drastic way, removing the special talents of every single pony in Equestria is a step too far. Eiter way, thanks for the comment. I enjoyed replying to it a lot and you gave me some things to think about further. Have a nice day!

8771604
This is illustration why AI would make a bad ruler. Making limited chance comparison with inifinite amount of factors it unable to quantify. Or simplily with unknown event in future. Some new event in future may result that S-Equestria would be destroyed because it also got a flaw. A reliance on single person.

Quite a number if people would say that D ~ S.

There was a novel where AI murdered 10 billions of Earth population for better chance of survuval of ten tousands, decision made with no account of moral or fact that research was made, that could solve problem. Unproven theory wasn't an actual fact for AI.

Another example of such errors made by both opposing sides, AI vs AI, was provided in Message in the Bottle by Starscribe.

Note: living being designed around that it operates in set of unknown factors. Main imperative of life is "get better at it". So erasing that imperative puts chance of survival to zero in long run. Stanislav Lem, Ruturn from the Stars.

8967556

This is illustration why AI would make a bad ruler

What kind of AI you have in mind here? AI possible design space is pretty huge (with living brains being teeny-tiny speck inside).

Some new event in future may result that S-Equestria would be destroyed because it also got a flaw.

That was what original discussion started from: actual evidence presented in the story suggests that she is consistently doing better then original guys even without deux ex jewellery.

Quite a number if people would say that D ~ S.

I kinda doubt that it's really their preference: for most part of human history significant part of population was in worse situation than ponies in Starlight's village (although their life wasn't particularly fun, at least they had good enough homes, had no guys wanting to kill them, were healthy and were not starving), but still consistently preferred to live.

Main imperative of life is "get better at it".

Better at what? Inclusive fitness under current environment?

8967632
Only _existing_ in reality form of AI is based on variants working around the same principle you described. If you mean AI as artifical personality, I didn't mean that. AI is an optimization device.

Living brain isn't a deterministic machine, having its body and factors affecting as "input device". So it can't serve that function 100% but it have a non-zero chance to act properly outside designed limits. Expert system would only fail , probably would designed to fail safe. But fail safe canbe really bad. AI in "Message" murdered hundred of billions due to fail safe policy.

Imperative of live is "get better at it". At being life and continuing so, of course! At infinite limit of time any static system _will_ be destroyed.

8967667

Only _existing_ in reality form of AI is based on variants working around the same principle you described.

What principles? You mean von Neumann-Morgenstern axioms? That's very general statement that's every mind better to follow, or it would be punished by Dutch book bet.

AI is an optimization device.

Yes. Evolution, water heater controller, human brain and AIXI are AIs. Hence my question what class of AIs exactly have you meant.

Living brain isn't a deterministic machine, having its body and factors affecting as "input device". So it can't serve that function 100% but it have a non-zero chance to act properly outside designed limits.

No idea what you mean here. Tossing a coin has non-zero chance to act properly,

Imperative of live is "get better at it". At being life and continuing so, of course!

Non-sapient life doesn't care about continuing, just about ratio of it's genes copies in next generation (inclusive fitness adjusted to be precise).

8967731
Von Neumann-Morgenstern utility theorem, actually.
In reality works on known and finite set of data. Following it strictly, without divergence, may lead to life form extinction.

Real life example. In early era of collectivisation there was idea of abolishing family and optimizing community on hive principle. Keep kids together, every child is everyone's child, share community excess resources evenly. Effective? Yes. Uniform fostering and education? To a degree... no. Biologically all kids were different in their capabilities. Further in timelime onset of collective nevroses and depression among young. To the level that they felt alone while being in a room full of people: a typical depression? Reason? Unknown and denied ideologically aspect of human biology - our hormonal system react on limiting count of different pheromones. Humans aren't hive animals, we have pheromonal regulator that reduces our density. More, we have mechanism of negative imprinting, meant to avoid inbreeding, which we must follow or our body punish mind by debilitating it. Too many kids together are registered as siblings. It's normal to "reject" a sibling.

Result: hundreds , if not thousands ruined lives and there are theories that resulting disorders are passed over in generation, based on observation of group animals. Imagine that such "logical" mind went S-Stralight and did that "experiment" in scale of whole country, not just few small towns. Extinction danger.
What is typical of such clever minds is that they always able to prove their theory by inventing explanations why it is right and why proofs of otherwise iare wrong. It's not stupidity, it's a design. AI would be able to do so as well, it's kind of input brackets.

Who said that ponies would not suffer some immunity deficite sindrome from loosing their magic in magic world? It's an unresearched area.

I mentioned Stanislav Lem's book. If to compress plot into few words, it's about astronauts returning to Earth after several hundred years of journey. They found out post-scarcety society and found out that recently humans invented some kind of immunisation against risk and emotions. Essentially they all starte to operate like VNM machines. Result? No inventions, humans stopped to research, to explore, reduced themselves to loners hiding in their comfortable homes, reduced their industry to bare minimum to live so. No space colonisation, their tech level is constant for a hundred years. Nearly stopped to procreate or develop anything. Dead end of civilisation. I know that there are people who adore this idea, considering stop of development as a blessing.

I think, you meant non-sentient life. Higher forms of life that are still considered non-sapient are more complex in bahaviour than that. But sapient lifeforms, as I illustrated, follow basic imperatives as well.

Oh, by the way. Genes aren't copied. Mechanism includes so many of coin tossing that there is no exact copy from generation to generation. There are signature checks that ensure fitness and viability of content but mutation is inherent feature. What is copied that is an "operation system", a part of cell that "runs" the code. More of, procariots have mechanism to pass code across generations without copying, even to swap code: plasmids.

8967997

Von Neumann-Morgenstern utility theorem, actually.

It claims that if rational agent's preferences satisfy 5 VNM axioms, then there exist function u from outcomes to real numbers such that agent behaves as if it maximises expected value of u. Where utility functions were mentioned?

In reality works on known and finite set of data.

It's a theorem.

In early era of collectivisation there was idea of abolishing family and optimizing community on hive principle.

Were there any evidence present that it was a good idea? (good for children I mean, if you want to evaluate what happened on this metric)

What is typical of such clever minds is that they always able to prove their theory by inventing explanations why it is right and why proofs of otherwise iare wrong. It's not stupidity, it's a design.

Um, you've just described any single human being. And, yes, it's by design: ability to argue any bullshit persuasively is epic evolutionary advantage in ancestral environment, ability to arrive to correct conclusion via 10 inference steps --- meh.

Who said that ponies would not suffer some immunity deficite sindrome from loosing their magic in magic world? It's an unresearched area.

Who said they would? It's an unresearched area. :rainbowlaugh:
Unless you're explicitly tracing your conclusion from observed evidence, prior probabilities for any two claims of same complexity wouldn't be different.

Essentially they all starte to operate like VNM machines.

There's no such thing as "VNM machine", there is "VNM machine with these preferences".

I think, you meant non-sentient life.

It's actually all life --- humans currently are still biological. I've kinda given credit to humans (and possible sapient aliens) in advance :twilightsheepish:

Login or register to comment