• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 2,503 Views, 19 Comments

Before My Mind Changes Me - Midnight Magician



Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie prank Fluttershy, and an entity is born to give her revenge!

  • ...
1
 19
 2,503

Going Too Far

"Oh, I can't believe we're going to actually try and do this!" Pinkie Pie squealed happily as she helped Rainbow Dash prepare their latest prank. Rainbow Dash blew her mane out of her eyes as she continued painting the masks that she had placed on the table in front of her.

"I hear ya', Pinkie," Rainbow replied, "And to think, I just brought the idea up as a joke, but I think everypony deserves a good scare now and then, right?" The two ponies smiled mischeviously as they each added their own ghoulish touch to each of the two masks. Rainbow Dash peeked over at Pinkie Pie's work. "Pinkie, your mask looks way too colorful to be scary. Everypony knows that black and red are the scariest colors!"

"Oh yeah, says who?" Pinkie retorted, looking defensively and almost lovingly at the mask she had created.

Rainbow Dash snorted haughtily and sneered, "You're looking at the queen of scaring ponies. You know, I heard the mayor mention something about renaming Nightmare Night after me." Rainbow's eyes shifted from Pinkie, then back to her mask. "Look, Pinkie," she began, "Your mask looks like a clown. Not a funny clown. A very lame clown."

Pinkie Pie puffed out her chest in an attempt at being intimidating. "Oh yeah? Well you're just a big pile!" Pinkie crossed her hooves and threw her nose to the air.

"A big pile?" Rainbow repeated with a raised brow. "A big pile of what?" Pinkie Pie considered for a moment, rubbing one of her hoofs over her chin in the universal sign of deep thought. She raised the same hoof to the sky and said,

"You, madam, are a pile of trick birthday candles!" Rainbow Dash face-hoofed as Pinkie Pie smiled in victory.

The blue mare let her hoof slide down her face as she asked, "How does that even make sense, Pinkie?"


"Simple, my simple-dimple mare," Pinkie began in an enlightening tone, "Trick candles are annoying and aren't good for anything but keeping ME away from cake."

Rainbow really had no idea where this conversation was leading, but asked anyway. "So, you plan on keeping your mask like that?" Pinkie's eyes filled up again with motherly love as she turned them to her admirably creepy clown mask.

"Yes, Rainbow! I think my masterpiece," she paused for dramatic effect, "is completed. Now let's see yours!!"

Rainbow lifted her mask up with both of her front hooves and held it above her head. "This is, by far, the scariest mask ever crafted by pony-kind!" Rainbow was right to believe this of her mask. It was absolutely a ghoulish sight. The mask was blood-red, and it had black, tribal-like markings dotting over it. The mask was complete with a chilling grimace and declined eyebrows, giving it a very intimidating look.

Pinkie Pie looked at the mask in awe. She yelped, "Oooooh, it's so spooky! If somepony snuck up on me while wearing that, I'd definitely lose my cupcakes. If you know what I mean."

Rainbow Dash lowered her mask back down to the work table, laughing. "Oh, Pinkie, you're TOO random sometimes." The energetic, pink mare giggled as well, while fitting her clown mask over her face.

"So, who's going to be the lucky pony to get the heeby-jeebies tonight?" Pinkie spoke with a mischevious glint in her eye.

Rainbow Dash smiled, putting on her own mask. "Tonight, we scare a pony that we've never pranked. Fluttershy."

Pinkie Pie took her mask back off, revealing a worried face. "I don't know, Rainbow, we don't want to hurt her feelings. Besides, you know how she is."

Rainbow quickly waved a dismissing hoof through the air. "Don't worry about it! We won't let it go far enough for anything bad to happen! That's the plan, and I'm sticking to it! Are you in or out?" Rainbow Dash was using an overly authoratative tone with her friend, but she found it necessary. If Pinkie Pie backed out now, Rainbow would have to fly solo. That was positively no fun! Pinkie Pie still had a slightly worried expression, but slowly, her face became flooded with the familiar mischevious facade Rainbow was so used to.

The pink mare fit her mask back onto her face, giggling wickedly, "Tonight, we pay Fluttershy a visit! Muahahahahahaha!" Rainbow Dash faked an evil laugh along with Pinkie as they began the short trot over to Fluttershy's peaceful cottage.

--

Fluttershy was blissfully humming a quaint melody while she lightly dusted off some shelves in her cottage. Sure it was late, but she hadn't been able to get around to giving her cottage a good cleaning during the day. Not with all of her little critters to attend to. Angel, her pet rabbit, had decided to sleep outside with the other animals for once, which was fine with her. Fluttershy knew that it was easiest to just let Angel do as she pleased. Always better to avoid an argument.

She continued her cleaning, feather duster in hoof, when a thunderous knocking sent her into an immediate panic! Fluttershy squeaked, dropping her feather duster as she flew under the nearest table. She stayed under the table, a wing shielding her eye from whatever monsterous being was causing that racket. Then, the sound came once more. It was somepony knocking at the door. Fluttershy cautiously moved out from under her table, her knees shaking violently under her. "W-who would be visiting me at this hour, I wonder?" she whispered to herself nervously. The pink-maned pony edged nearer to the door, and slowly unlatched it, allowing it to creak open.

Fluttershy was met with absolutely nothing. The door opened fully and all she could see was the night in front of her. It was still creepy however, nothing to look at but the imposing Everfree Forest. The yellow mare poked her head out of the safety of her cottage and did a quick scan of the surroundings. She saw no sign of there being anypony around. Fluttershy quickly, yet silently, retreated back into the safety of her cottage, closing the door. She let out a contented sigh. "Oh my, I must be feeling nervous without my little Angel with me."

Just then, a loud crash demanded her attention. Immediately, Fluttershy spun around to see an empty vase rolling lazily across the floor. Fluttershy wiped her hoof over her already sweating forehead and gently picked up the vase. She made her way over to its correct spot but as she did, she noticed that the desk it was resting on was completely upturned! Fluttershy felt her knees begin to go weak as she fearfully questioned how her little desk could have been turned upside down. Unless... Somepony else was in the cottage with her!?

Eyes wide and full of fright, she quickly scanned the whole of her home. The door was still shut, nopony could have gotten inside from there. Her eyes quickly darted back and forth, looking for something, but praying to find nothing. She shifted her gaze higher as she felt a cool breeze blow through her mane. The upper window was open! "Oh no!" Fluttershy yelped as she quickly flew up to close the window. The terrified pony descended back to her ground floor, still carefully scanning over her home.

"If somepony's here, please come out, if you don't mind." Just then all of the candles that were illuminating Fluttershy's home were instantly snuffed! The yellow mare stood, frozen in place, now completely shrouded in darkness. Fluttershy's eyes were once again dancing around her head, looking for some comfort zone. Her eyes stopped on her bed. Ah yes, her warm, safe bed. Without hesitation, she deftly sprang over to her bed and securely veiled herself under her blanket.

"Whoever you are, please go away," Fluttershy begged.

Fluttershy's blankets were visibly shaking as Rainbow Dash's cleverly disguised voice was heard. She whispered manically, "Fluttershy." The poor pegasus continued her frightened mumbling. Then another noise was heard. The front door clicked, and proceeded to creak as it drifted open. Fluttershy curiously chanced a nervous glance out from under her blankets. She was terrified to see that her door was wide open. She "eeped" and continued her sobbing. "Please stop!"

Suddenly, from under her blankets, Fluttershy noticed a faint light glowing directly on the other side of her blanket. Somepony or something had lit a candle right beside her bed. The mortified ponies eyes were wide, almost bloodshot as she moved her hoof over to the edge of her bed. She would quickly flip over her blanket, and nothing would be there. She knew it! This was ALL her imagination! If only Angel was here! Fluttershy wrapped her hoof around the blanket's edge and threw it up over her!

The poor pegasus screamed in horrible fear as the two monsterous faces loomed over her! They were horrible! An insanely smiling clown face with clashing colors and maddening, wide eyes! The other was bright red, with odd markings on it. The face stared hatefully down at the recoiling pony. Fluttershy was stunned. She had shrunk down into her bed as far as she could, her eyes incredibly widened and red, her teeth chattering madly. The clown moved its face closer to Fluttershy, just mere inches from her. The horrifying being bluntly said, "Boo."

Fluttershy let out a lasting bloodcurdling scream as she leapt up from her bed, taking to the air, her wings flapping vigorously! The two specters below were whooping and laughing, as if they had just told a wonderful joke. They giggled and bounced around the room ecstatically. They were insane! The angry, red faced monster began to fly up to meet Fluttershy, holding out a familiar blue hoof. That is, it would have been familiar, had this poor mare not have been frightened to the brink of insanity!

Fluttershy roughly slapped the hoof away, demanding in a fearful voice, "Get away from me!" She had to escape! She had to! She'd go to Twilights, Rarities, Applejack's! Anywhere but here! The crazed pegasus saw an opening, an escape! Fluttershy used all of the speed she could muster, and flew towards the upper window!

Right before she was able to escape, Fluttershy heard Rainbow Dash's familiar, cracking voice cry out, "Fluttershy stop! The window!" It was too late.

The next thing Fluttershy felt was a piercing pain in her skull as she heard the shattering of glass pervade the air. Her senses numbed. She knew she was falling, but nothing could stop it. She felt herself hit the ground, felt herself hopelessly bouncing and rolling through the yard of her cottage. Everythng was evaporating right before her. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie both galloped over and stood over Fluttershy, with horrified expression invading their features. Rainbow Dash yelled something to Fluttershy, but it sounded like Fluttershy was listening from under water.

Before Fluttershy lost all control of herself and passed out, she couldn't help but slightly make out the two ghoulish faces that had done this to her. They were both dangling from the faces of her friends. Fluttershy understood, and she was angry. The angered boiled deep within her belly as the darkness swallowed her up.