• Published 23rd Jul 2016
  • 433 Views, 38 Comments

Traces of a Hidden Shadow - Teotle



Teotle and Nyx are at it again, making new friends while facing old enemies of the dark.

  • ...
7
 38
 433

The Red Palm

Later that night, Twilight was escorting Day Dreamer to his house after sending Teotle and Nyx to bed. They were silent for a majority of the trip, until Twilight asked, "So, Day Dreamer, how do you like working with Nyx and Teotle on the project?"

Day Dreamer cleared his throat and replied, "Yeah, it's fun."

"Good, glad to hear it." Twilight said with a grin. "I'm glad that they met you. They spend so much time together, they need room to grow a little. I think you're just the pony to help."

"Thanks." Day Dreamer answered back. "Say, do you know what Teotle's cutiemark means?"

Twilight stopped in her tracks, with wide eyes, as she looked at Day Dreamer. "Well, actually, it never occurred to me what his cutiemark meant. Huh, why does he have one?"

Day Dreamer cocked his head to the side as he asked, "Haven't you ever told him what it means to have one?"

Twilight's cheeks blushed as she replied, "Um, I never got around to it."

Then Day Dreamer said, "I know just the fillies for the job."

The next day, after school, Twilight had asked Nyx, Teotle, Day Dreamer and the Cutiemark Crusaders to gather in the throne room, where they began to discuss Teotle's Cutiemark.

"So, you never knew what a Cutiemartk meant until now?" Scootaloo asked.

"Not really." Teotle replied. "I never thought about it until Twilight and the other came back from the town Starlight made."

"Well..." Applebloom said, finding it hard to continue her sentence. "A Cutiemark is a sign of your special talent. It defines who you are and what you have to offer everypony around you."

Then Sweetiebelle said, "It's based off your personality traits. The three of us got our cutiemarks at the same time, and they show how we are meant to help other ponies with their cutiemark related problems, whether it be what their cutiemark means, or how to get them in them in the first place."

"So you can figure out what mine means?" Teotle asked.

"Sure." Twist answered. "We'll try. But first, let's see what it is."

Teotle then stood up and showed his flank, which had a red paw print with a red ring circling around it. They all looked at it in wonder of what it meant. However, nopony could think of anything. Eventually Twilight asked Spike to write a letter to Celestia.

"Dear Princess Celestia, I don't know if you recall, but Teotle has a mysterious Cutiemark on his flank and we can't figure out what it is. I was wondering what you and Luna think it means. I patiently await your reply. As always, your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle." And with that, Spike drew Teotle's Cutiemark at the bottom of the letter and sent it off with an exhale of fire.

A few minutes later, Spike had received Celestia's responding letter from Celestia saying, "My dear student, Twilight, I had thought of what Teotle's cutiemark represents, he is the first wolf to have one after all. However, I have not yet found any sensible explanation as to what it means. I am sorry for not being much help in this matter. As always, Celestia."

"Well." Day Dreamer commented glumly. "It looks like we're on our own."

"I'm sure if she wasn't so busy, she could think of something." Teotle added.

"But, regardless, we need to get started if we want to find out your special talent." Twilight said with a sigh.

And with that, they began to discuss all the things they know about Teotle and what things he's good at. But after an hour of debating and comparing ideas, they came up short on their endeavor.

"What did we not think of?" Nyx wondered.

"We have an idea." Spike said, walking into the throne room with the arc flying behind him.

"What is it?" Teotle asked.

Spike grinned and said, "Well, the arc can think and calculate different ideas and thoughts at once, right?"

"Yeah." Teotle replied. "That's one of many things it was made for."

"Well, why not have it calculate what it knows about you, and see what it can come up with?" Spike asked, raising an eyebrow.

Teotle thought about it and said, "You know, that might work." Teotle then got up from his seat and walked to the arc, who had been patiently waiting for him. "How about it, can you find out what my cutiemark means?"

The arc was quiet for a moment before saying, "Yes, I think it's worth a try."

Teotle looked back at everypony at the table, seeing approval in their eyes, he then faced the arc and said, "Lets do it."

The arc then began to glow bright blue and hover over Teotle as it scanned his body, all the way to his heart and soul. It saw many things, memories of his past, his thoughts, and feelings.

It continued its analysis until it finally said, "I have reached a conclusion."

A wide grin opened up on Teotle's face as he asked, "What is it?"

But before the arc could say anything, a black smoke cloud seeped through the closed door and began to surround everypony. The smoke grew and spread out around the whole room.

"What is this?" Nyx asked.

Just then, a familiar voice began to laugh in the air, along with the appearance of two red and green eyes with dagger shaped irises.

"I think I have an idea." Spike said, trembling where he stood.

Twilight's eyes widened as she concluded, "King Sombra."