• Published 9th May 2017
  • 11,108 Views, 298 Comments

Ill Winds - ClanCrusher



It had taken two failed invasions, an arduous civil war, a foalnapping, and the promise of a date, but Chrysalis can finally be counted among Equestria's allies. Unfortunately, the rest of her race might not be so easy to convince.

  • ...
15
 298
 11,108

Chapter 3: Trial By Sunlight

Chrysalis and Rainbow were looking far too innocent. The latter was sitting across from me, idly reading through one of her favorite Daring Do novels, while Chrysalis was stretched out over three seats, eyes closed and communicating with her hive. Neither of them had said a word beyond their greetings ever since we'd boarded the train.

More and more, I was getting the sense that I'd been played, but there was no tactful way to bring up the kiss I'd seen without also admitting that I'd been spying. No doubt Rainbow already knew, considering she hadn't flipped a page for almost two minutes now.

When Chrysalis spoke, I nearly jumped. “What I don't understand is why Celestia doesn't just set up a workspace in Canterlot if she's going to keep calling us back.”

I'd wondered the same, but it hadn't taken me long to figure out the answer. “Because all of the Elements of Harmony are in Ponyville, and trying to get them to Canterlot would be far too much work. Applejack and Big Mac basically run the farm by themselves, Fluttershy would never leave her animals behind, Pinkie Pie has her parties scheduled years in advance, and Rarity...” I paused for a moment. “Well, she'd probably jump at the chance to work out of Canterlot for a while, but I think she's rather attached to her shop in Ponyville.”

Chrysalis let out a 'hmph', shifting slightly on the seats. “If Queen Aurum really planned to invade, she'd guard the vault with changelings like I did.”

“Pfft. Like Celestia would fall for that twice,” said Rainbow. “We've got ‘em in Ponyville now.”

I looked at her in surprise. “Really? When did that happen?”

“When I was officially assigned as your guard. Didn't I already tell you this?”

My left eye twitched. “No, Dash. You didn't.”

“Oh...whoops, sorry.”

Making a mental note to grill her about that later, I returned my thoughts back to Chrysalis' initial question. “I don't think we're going to be summoned very often. Luna and Celestia are the ones with the deal-making responsibilities, I'm just acting as Court Wizard.”

It also could have been a subtle way for Celestia to put pressure on Aurum, reminding her that she was facing two alicorns, a magical prodigy, and a Changeling Queen who had been accepted by all three.

“Glad I'm just a guard,” said Rainbow with a yawn, putting her book aside. “I could barely get through your outline of the talking points without dozing off.”

“That's why you're not a negotiator,” said Chrysalis with a smirk. “Your job is to fix things when negotiations fail and everything goes sideways.”

“Wish we could just skip to that part,” grumbled the pegasus.

Part of me was in agreement with her, but the more sensible part checked my emotions before I gave voice to my thoughts. “Rainbow, we can't go into this thinking Aurum is just waiting for the opportunity to blindside us. I'm not saying we should let our guard down, just that we should treat her gesture as genuine until she gives us probable cause to believe otherwise.”

“You don't think that unicorn attacking you was cause enough?” asked Rainbow incredulously.

“I don't know. There are too many things that don't add up about that. If I had...” I swallowed. “If that attack had worked, negotiations almost certainly would have fallen apart, but if that was Aurum's goal, why show up for the negotiations at all?”

Rainbow frowned, sitting up in her seat now. “Maybe she wasn't expecting the attack to work at all, then. Maybe she was just trying to send a message.”

That seemed a bit more plausible, but there were still some flaws with that line of reasoning. If the attack wasn't intended to work, why attack at all? Having magic that could completely strip away a pony's personality and incite them to violence seemed like a weapon the Changeling Queens would want to keep secret.

“I think the most plausible explanation is that the missing Elder is involved. Whether she's working for or against Aurum, I can't say,” I said finally. “The best way I can help right now is to try and unravel that curse mark, and I'm going to get a chance to browse through the Royal Library on this trip.”

Almost simultaneously, Chrysalis and Rainbow groaned.

“What?”

“Nothing, but if you're going to drag me to the library, I'm going to insist on a tour of Canterlot,” said Chrysalis.

“You don't have to come with me...”

“Without your dragon minion seeing to your needs, someone will have to make sure you eat,” said the Queen with a huff.

“Oh come on, that was one time!”

“Three times,” corrected Rainbow. “Chrysalis and I have been trading off.”

Glancing at the cheeky pegasus, I buried my head in my hooves, entertaining a few dark thoughts. It seemed like I was getting tag-teamed by them a lot, lately. Fortunately, there was a good deal of time before the negotiations were scheduled to start. Maybe I could get some answers from the Changeling Queen during our tour.

---

“Not that I don't enjoy spending time with you, but haven't you seen Canterlot dozens of times already?” I asked, trying to ignore the suspicious looks from the various ponies opening their shops.

“Yes, but there's something liberating about doing it in my own body,” she replied, the stares seeming to slide off of her like water on glass as she examined the storefront windows.

“It's probably going to take a lot of time for ponies around here to get used to you.” The reason didn't need to be stated. Chrysalis' invasion had caused surprisingly few casualties, but some of the younger, less lucid changelings had put their victims into comas, and a few of the more elderly stallions and mares hadn't survived the strain. In numbers alone, though, the changelings had suffered the worst of it.

Not that it mattered much to the ponies of Canterlot. In sharp contrast to Ponyville, suspicion and hostility were evident everywhere, most of it tinged with fear. Even with the increased guard presence, ponies were still cautious. Still, there was one place in Canterlot I knew we'd find a welcoming hoof.

“Donut Joe's?” asked Chrysalis skeptically. “How does a place like this even survive in Canterlot?”

“By being very good at what they do,” I replied, nudging Chrysalis inside.

A bell signaled our arrival and a brown-coated pony raised his head from the newspaper he'd been reading. The moment he saw me, a big smile spread over his face. “Twilight! I thought you'd abandoned Canterlot ages ago!”

“I would have come back sooner, but Pinkie is almost as good as you now. I've been getting my fix from her lately.”

“If she's stealing my customers, then she's learned well,” he replied with a laugh. Turning his gaze upward, he focused on the Changeling Queen. “And you must be Chrysalis. Don't think I've ever had the pleasure of serving a changeling.”

“Oh, you might have and just not known it,” replied the Queen with a wry grin.

“Ha! Too true. So what can I get for you?”

“I'll have the Celestia Special,” I said quickly.

“I will have whatever you believe to be your best,” said Chrysalis.

“Oh, now that sounds like a challenge,” said the Earth Pony with a grin. “One Super-Special Joe-nut coming right up!”

Chrysalis' gave him a flat stare while I groaned. “Really, Joe? You're still using that name?”

“I never abandon the classics, Miss Sparkle. Feel free to take a seat anywhere,” he offered, waving a hoof toward the mostly empty dining area.

“What exactly is the Celestia Special?” asked Chrysalis once we were seated.

I blushed slightly as I explained. “Another one of Donut Joe's terrible jokes.”

“He seems quite good at those.”

“Yes, well...it's what he calls his ‘sugar-light’ meals.”

Chrysalis grinned. “Don't tell me...”

“Hey, I don't exactly get a lot of exercise sitting around and doing research,” I protested.

“My, I wonder what Rainbow would think if she knew her close friend was trying to stay in shape...”

“You wouldn't dare,” I challenged.

“Of course not. I find your current shape quite pleasing. Soft in all the right places.”

Flustered, I tried to reply, but at that moment Donut Joe walked over with our orders, easily walking on three legs while balancing a tray on his fourth. With skill born from years of practice, Joe didn't break his stride as he served our donuts and two hot cups of coffee. For me, it was a small stack of three. For Chrysalis, just one.

“Eat it slowly,” I said with a smile, taking a sip of my drink.

“Hmph. I have a constitution far above that of a mere pony,” said Chrysalis, picking up the donut in her magic and taking a large bite.

Mentally, I began to count. After only five seconds I started to see the effects. Her eyes widened slightly, her pupils dilated, and her body shivered. The magic aura she held the donut in faded and the pastry dropped, but I was ready to catch it with her plate. At the ten-second mark, the Changeling Queen violently grabbed her coffee and gulped it down, the bitter liquid washing away the intense sweetness that was no doubt coating her mouth and throat.

She drained the entire cup before setting it down with a groan, panting lightly and looking at the half-eaten donut with newfound respect. “Not one word,” she growled.

“I wasn't even thinking it,” I replied innocently.

“Liar,” she grumbled, pushing her mug toward Joe, who was already back at the table with a refill.

As she sipped at the fresh cup, I remembered a question that had been nagging at me for some time. “How much sustenance does normal food give you?”

“The food itself? Very little. I can, however, taste the emotions that go into a meal. Joe is...quite passionate, and that came across in its taste.”

“Is that the only thing you taste?” I grinned as a thought occurred to me. “Are you saying that if Rainbow Dash passionately baked a disaster, you could still eat it?”

“Hardly. I still have the ability to taste, though there have been occasions where I've found it convenient to deaden my taste buds.”

Huh. That was a neat trick. I was going to have to try that sometime.

“And of course, nothing is quite as good as getting it straight from the source.”

Her small smile and the quick, subtle lick of her lips made me squirm a bit in my seat. Even two months of dealing with her hadn't made me any more resistant to her teasing.

“Oh, and since I know you're curious, you are definitely the better kisser. Rainbow Dash is learning quickly, though.”

My mind screeched to a halt and I nearly choked on a piece of donut. “You...I knew you were doing that to get at me!” I accused. “And...that means you knew I was watching.”

But...did that even qualify as a prank? Just last month, both of them had confessed, and up to this point I'd been avoiding the issue. Something was still suspicious about all of this...

“Looks like the games are about to begin,” said Chrysalis, finishing the last of her meal and wiping away a few stray crumbs. Turning to the side, I saw Rainbow approaching the shop through the window.

There were still a dozen questions I wanted to ask her, but I was willing to put them on hold for the moment. “Duty calls,” I agreed.

“I, for one, am looking forward to the fireworks. I bet Rainbow ten bits that Princess Fat-Flank is going to deliver a verbal beatdown to Wannabe-Celestia strong enough for her entire hive to feel.”

I groaned at the nicknames. “Really, Chrysalis?”

“Yes, really. There's a reason I can't transform into her.”

---

Our group was the second to arrive, several minutes ahead of schedule. One of the royal guards showed us to our places, placing Chrysalis on Celestia's left, while I was put on Luna's right. On the other side of the table, three chairs were still empty.

“Nervous?” came Luna's voice.

“Definitely,” I admitted. “I've been in fights with half the changelings here.”

Luna chuckled and placed a comforting hoof on my back. “If it's any consolation, I've only ever seen one peace talk break down into violence.”

“Gryphons?” I asked, only somewhat sarcastic.

Luna nodded. “Gryphons. Still, they would have never taken us seriously if my sister hadn't trounced their leader.”

Letting out a sigh, I let my eyes wander over the agenda. I'd read through it already, but assuring myself that there was a schedule was comforting in a way. Minutes ticked by. To the side, I could hear a hushed conversation between Chrysalis and Celestia, but I didn't make an effort to listen in. Finally, the doors opened once more and the three Changeling Elders made their entrance.

Queen Aurum was at the front, and after Chrysalis' comments, I was starting to notice how she did seem to imitate Celestia. Her colors were chosen to stand out, she was several inches taller than the queens on either side of her, and even her mane seemed to move ever-so-slightly in an intangible wind.

On her right was Queen Crimson, though I had yet to stop mentally calling her the Red Queen. She barely seemed to be hiding her animosity toward us, and Chrysalis in particular seemed to be the central focus.

Last was Queen Azure. I knew the least about her, but I did know Celestia had very thoroughly defeated her, as evidenced by the bright, shining sun emblazoned on her neck like a cutie mark. Celestia hadn't told me what it was, but there was powerful magic at work there that made my senses tingle.

“Before we begin, have you heard anything definitive on the whereabouts of your estranged Elder?” asked Celestia once everyone was seated.

“Queen Violet has not answered any of my summons,” replied Aurum. “Approaching you has spread waves of dissent throughout the hives. Some saw it as weakness. Violet clearly did not agree with me, and I'm no better equipped to find her than you are.”

It was the answer everypony had been expecting. The only question was whether or not it was actually true.

“Understandable. Unfortunately, that means I cannot guarantee her the same protections as you. Her hive will be treated as hostile and dealt with accordingly.”

“You may do what you believe necessary,” said Aurum, no hint of emotion anywhere on her face or in her aura.

“Then I propose we move on to the real reason we're gathered here. It is hardly a secret that our races have a volatile, if brief, history with one another. Your natural instincts and abilities have driven you to a life of secrecy and subterfuge, but it is Equestria’s goal, and mine, that we provide a place for you within Equestrian society, and achieve a lasting peace between our races.”

“We had a lasting peace,” said Aurum softly. “We were forgotten, living in secret, hardly a burden to any race until Queen Chrysalis ousted us from hiding and forced us to act.”

Celestia frowned, but Chrysalis spoke up first. “Only because you didn't keep a tight enough leash on Red. You and your Elders drove me into a corner first. I merely did what was necessary to survive.”

“Did that include attacking my hive in retaliation?” shot back Queen Crimson.

“Yes, it did,” replied Chrysalis, unsympathetic. “You had my hive marked for death; was I to simply wait for you to find me?”

“An intelligent queen would have cut her losses, though I suppose you didn't have the best example to follow.”

I could feel a chill seep into the room at that statement. I held my breath, bracing myself for Chrysalis' retort, but Celestia was faster. Her horn glowed brightly and a golden field of energy swept the room. Chrysalis was cut off, as well as all sound in the room. It wasn't until Celestia spoke again that the spell was broken.

“Regardless of who bears the most fault, this is where we are. We cannot turn back the clock, nor can any of us erase the knowledge of changelings from existence. Right now, I offer you a way forward, a path toward peace that may benefit both of our races.”

Crimson looked as though she were about to speak again, but a raised hoof from Aurum silenced her. “I do not doubt your sincerity, but I do find it difficult to trust you when you hold every advantage over us, from your amulets to Queen Chrysalis herself.”

“I did not invite you to this table to dictate terms,” said Celestia, her tone suddenly sharp. “I am not intending to bend you to my will. Considering that every changeling here has been complicit in violence against my ponies, I think I'm being remarkably reasonable. However, if you still doubt my intentions, you are free to walk away right now.”

The large wooden doors behind the Changeling Queens practically flew open, startling the guards on either side and letting in a sudden draft of air. No one spoke. The tension in the room was stretched to the breaking point, waiting for somepony to snap it.

Aurum blinked. Celestia smiled.

Like a balloon that had just been untied, the tension dissipated from the room. With a soft click, the heavy wooden doors closed once more.

“Now then, on to the first order of business,” said Celestia amicably, as if the last minute hadn't actually happened. “Since we do not have any definite numbers, it has been difficult assessing your exact population. Queen Chrysalis has been of help, but things such as potential settling space and sustenance won't be possible to factor in without hard numbers...”

It wasn't until almost an hour into the negotiations that I realized boredom was starting to set in. Celestia did most of the talking, occasionally taking our input, while Azure and Crimson remained completely silent. The conversation topics ranged from living space and food supplies to the continuation of magical research and cultural integration. There were a few unique topics here and there that caught my attention, but after such an exciting start, everything else just seemed mundane.

Aurum was being evasive, choosing vague words and never fully committing to anything, but that hardly set her apart from any other pony that held office in Equestria. This was likely to be the first in a long line of such meetings, and that prospect made me glad I wasn't a princess, though maybe having the endurance and fortitude of an alicorn helped.

“Almost makes you wish she would invade with her army, doesn't it?”

“I think I'd rather sit through a few boring talks if it means fewer ponies getting kidnapped and brainwashed. You could probably get Crimson to attack you if you really tried,” I teased.

By the time Celestia called a recess for lunch, I was feeling rather stiff. I'd barely eaten anything this morning due to nerves, but now my body was demanding food. Getting up from my chair, I stretched out my legs and rolled my neck, hearing a couple of satisfying pops.

“All this time and nary a yawn. We are impressed,” Luna said with a smile as she stood and stretched her wings.

“I...might have kept myself busy checking for any magic use,” I admitted. And I'd been listening to Chrysalis' snide running commentary, but that was probably better kept private.

“Any nefarious plots ahoof?” asked Celestia with some amusement.

“Nothing I could detect. The Clean Air spell worked perfectly, and Queen Aurum has such a tight grip on her magic that I can barely sense her aura.”

“I appreciate your caution, though there's no need to sound disappointed. It would be best if these discussions simply went as planned,” said Celestia calmly.

“There is at least one Changeling Queen with ill intent,” reminded Luna. “Perhaps I shall get the chance to cross horns with her.”

“Do try to take her alive, dear sister. Building trust is a slow, often frustrating process that can be unraveled far more quickly than you think. The changeling race in particular has very little of it, even among themselves.”

“We still find them more agreeable than the gryphons,” muttered Luna under her breath.

---

It was another three hours before talks finally finished for the day. Even though I knew I was sitting in on an event that was history in the making, it was impossible to keep my attention focused after the sixth time Aurum gave evasive answers about the size of her population.

Celestia seemed to have infinite patience, coming at issues from different angles, probing with varied questions and avoiding repetition as she searched for a way around Aurum’s stonewalling. Despite her impressive technique, it made me nostalgic for the history books that got straight to the point, and by the end of it all, I couldn't help but think my time would have been better spent continuing my research.

“I apologize if it feels like I have wasted your time,” said Celestia suddenly, snapping me from my thoughts. “If it's any consolation, I don't intend to drag you to any more of these.”

“It's alright, Princess, I was happy to help,” I assured her. Bored out of my mind, perhaps, but definitely happy.

“I, on the other hoof, would have rather been petrified,” complained Chrysalis as she stretched. “This process wasn't nearly as arduous when I made my deal.”

“That was more akin to throwing thyself at her mercy,” chided Luna.

“I'd say it worked out in my favor,” said Chrysalis, unfazed by the correction.

“Assuming Celestia isn't luring you into the lap of luxury so she can then hold it over your head when she needs that favor repaid in kind,” I murmured.

Chrysalis gave me an odd look and then turned to Celestia.

“Oh? Do I come across as that sort of pony?” asked the Princess innocently.

“Yes,” came the reply from me, Chrysalis, and even Luna.

“Hmph. Well if that's how it is, none of you are getting a Hearth's Warming gift from me this year,” said Celestia amidst a chorus of laughs. “Although that does remind me of something...”

There was a flash of golden light as Celestia teleported away. Not even ten seconds passed before she was back, a bound book floating beside her. “I've had our translators work through this very carefully. It was challenging, but they believe everything has been properly deciphered.”

“The changeling book?” I asked excitedly, practically snatching it from her with my magic, quickly reading through the translator's notes. Finally, I looked up with a bit of disbelief in my eyes. “A storybook?”

“Really? What about?” asked Chrysalis curiously, wandering over and taking a look as well.

“The origin of the first changeling,” said Celestia. “A rather...dramatic retelling.”

Just as I had snatched it from Celestia, Chrysalis now snatched it from me, reading the translator's foreword. “Really? Why all the secrecy and languages then? Is any of this true?”

Celestia seemed to think for a moment before shaking her head. “There was a time long ago before Luna and I ruled Equestria, but I'm quite certain that I have no unaccounted-for siblings.”

“Well, even if it's fiction, it's still a work of changeling art. Such things should be encouraged,” I insisted, packing the book away to read on the train.

“If thou art not in too much of a rush to return to thy research, we would enjoy thy company at dinner, as thanks for thy presence, said Luna. “Naturally, thou shalt be invited as well, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow's head jerked up. “Am I finally allowed to speak?” she blurted out. “Spitfire kept telling me not to say anything or make a noise until everypony was done.”

“You have my full permission,” I said with a small giggle. “I suppose I'm not in a big hurry to-”

My voice went silent as I felt a familiar magical presence. The guards tensed, but I simply turned my head up and watched as Spike's green trail of fire twisted through the air and coalesced in front of Celestia. Taking a look at the seal, Celestia floated it over to me. “It's for you.”

Confused, I opened the message and began to read, my face falling slightly and my expression turning grim. “Sorry Luna, it looks like I'm going to have to join you for dinner another time. A second curse-marked pony just showed up in Ponyville.”

The pleasant, relieved mood that had been in the air seemed to dissipate almost immediately. “Princess, I have a list of books I was going to look at once the meeting was concluded. Could you have them sent to me instead?”

“Of course, Twilight. Please keep me updated on your findings. Hopefully we can sit down together when times are less trying.”

I could only hope that would be sooner rather than later. Waving goodbye, I set a quick pace for the train station.

“Are we in a hurry, Twi?” asked Rainbow as she took flight next to me. “Is it somepony we know?”

“Yes. Whatever mess Sugar Belle got herself into, it seems like Trixie wandered right into the middle of it.”