• Published 19th Jun 2016
  • 1,262 Views, 10 Comments

Vinyl and Octavia's Freaky Day - DoctorSpectrum



Vinyl and Octavia have been having difficulty with their relationship. Both of them are understandably freaked out at this epiphany.

  • ...
1
 10
 1,262

Epilogue: Fate Reforged

Not for the first time that day, Vinyl took a deep breath in an attempt to assert her feelings. Okay, she thought. Okay, okay , okay. This will be fine. You can do this, Vinyl. Everything’s going to go fine.

It had been one week since Vinyl and Octavia had swapped bodies and saved Natural Twenty from the monster Octavia had summoned, a surprisingly complex adventure which had led to the two finding and defeating a secret cult made up of some of the upper echelon of Canterlot nobles. The week following that adventure had been much more quiet, with the two mares spending their time playing music together, visiting friends, or quietly reading in the comfort of their home. They hadn’t had a single argument, let alone a disagreement, since the events of the week prior.

Vinyl knocked on Octavia’s door, half-hoping that the Earth pony wouldn’t hear the knock and she would have an excuse to go back to what she had been doing prior, which had been composing a song. But to her dismay, a moment after she had knocked, Vinyl heard Octavia’s beautiful voice call out, “Come in, Vinyl!”

Just play it cool, Vinyl¸ thought the unicorn as she opened the door. No, actually, don’t play it cool. Don’t do that thing where you act stupid to try and get Octavia to laugh, or act on your instincts because you want to take the initiative. Just act natural, you idiot.

“Hello, Vinyl,” said Octavia, seeing Vinyl come in. “To what do I owe this impromptu visit? Need help with the song?” Octavia had been alphabetising some of the books she owned, but she stopped for the moment to look at Vinyl with a smile on her face.

“Nah, the song’s going fine,” said Vinyl automatically. “I came in here, because, uh…” Vinyl suddenly found herself a great deal more nervous than she had been a few seconds ago. “Can… can we talk for a sec?” Vinyl asked, lying down on Octavia’s bed and patting it softly.

A flicker of doubt showed on Octavia’s face, but it was gone in the blink of an eye. “Of course,” said Octavia, walking over to the bed and joining Vinyl. “What is on your mind, Vinyl?”

“This past week, I’ve kinda been thinking,” began Vinyl, swallowing once before continuing. “We’ve been together…I don’t even know how many years at this stage –”

“Two years, Vinyl. We have been together for two years, give or take a few months.”

“Really? I could have sworn…” Vinyl thought for a moment. “But wait, what about when we were time travelling?”

“Vinyl, just because we were still dating several million years ago, it doesn’t mean that we’ve been dating for that entire time,” Octavia explained, laughing as she did so. “It’s all about the amount of time that we two have been dating from when we started dating to the present time.”

“Oh, right, that makes sense,” said Vinyl. “But, uh, anyway, so we’ve been dating for two years, and y’know, I kinda really like you.”

“Good, because I’d be worried if you didn’t,” said Octavia, leaning in closer and briefly nuzzling Vinyl.

“Yeah, so, like I said, I’ve been kinda thinking, and, I, um –”

“Yes?” asked Octavia, beaming at Vinyl.

“- think I kinda want to marry you?”

“You…?” Octavia asked, taken aback. “You want to marry me?”

“Uh, yeah,” said Vinyl, avoiding Octavia’s eyes. Her heart was furiously beating in her chest as she awaited Octavia’s answer. “If, y’know, you’re cool with that.”

“Oh, Vinyl,” said Octavia, and for a few brief seconds, Vinyl was sure that Octavia was about to say no. “How could I not be fine with it?”

“That’s… a yes?” Vinyl asked, not entirely sure.

“Of course it is, you silly mare!” said Octavia. “I love you!”

“Oh, uh, cool!” said Vinyl, not sure how she was so lucky as to have Octavia say yes. She leaned forwards to kiss Octavia, but the Earth pony by now had gotten up.

“This will be so exciting!” said Octavia enthusiastically. “We shall have to work out who to invite, and where to have it… did you have any of this planned, or did you not want to think too far ahead?”

“I thought I’d wait to say what you said first,” confirmed Vinyl, “then we could work it out later.”

“Good thinking, Vinyl!” said Octavia. “I don’t even care about rearranging my bookshelves now…come on into the kitchen, and let’s get planning!”

“Sure thing,” said Vinyl. “I’m super looking forwards to this - I think that no matter what we end up planning, this is going to be one heck of a wedding!”

Author's Note:

Next up: Series Finale!

Comments ( 5 )

Yay! Weddings!

Next up: Series Finale!

Wait a minute...
Finale?
As in final?
As in The End?!


Why...?!?

Next up: Series Finale!

I won't cry, I won't cry... It's just going to be the end to the greatest series on fimfiction...

I guess it's only fair. This was a beautiful read, and I'm looking forward to the next story. Or rather, anticipating. I'd be lying if I said I was perfectly fine with the series ending :twilightsheepish:

On the story itself? It has a delicious sort of cynicism that all the seemingly supernatural and potentially world ending events are literally relegated not merely to the B-plot, but outright off-hoof by now. These two ponies are something else.

Ok one thing can you please do a ponytails fic that people can join in

Do you play Magic:The Gathering? Just wondering because all of the names are mtg sets.

Also, I love this series of Tavi and Vi. Keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment