• Published 19th Jun 2016
  • 983 Views, 41 Comments

Building a New Family - Kix



The girls are continuing to adjust to their new situation and continue to struggle with the idea of forgivness. In the mean time, plans for the duo are being drawn out without their knowledge.

  • ...
1
 41
 983

Chapter Five; Unfortunate Turn of Events- Chrysalis

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long to update, GenCon sorta got in the way.

“I don’t know, why don’t you ask her when we get home? And if you want to, you can go over and talk to them a little.”

“Thank you, Chrys.” A pair of pink arms wrap around my waist before she starts to head off, stopping after a few steps as she realizes that she is still holding her new teddy bear. I can’t help but laugh as she looks around sheepishly, a tinge of red coloring her cheeks in embarrassment as she hands me the stuffed animal before hurrying over.

As I just watch her my line of view is suddenly cut off by a shiny, black, truck style Hummer with chrome trim, brush guards and rims. The windows are darkly tinted and as the driver’s side is rolled down the first thing I notice is the driver. He is light grey with pure white hair, his grey eyes are sharp and something about them reminds me of a predator searching for prey. The black suit he is wearing looks extremely expensive and was tailored to fit him like a glove. “Hello there ma’am, I am sorry to disturb you, but I am wondering, have you have seen this girl around?” His words snap me out of my thoughts, mostly that this guys is not trustworthy. As he speaks he hands me a picture of Moonshade.

I knew you guys would be coming around, I wonder why it took you so long to get here, though. “No sir, I have not. Has she run away?” I easily keep my features neutral as I pretend to look at the picture. Even though it is only a head shot, something about it makes me think that it was taken during one of the countless tortures she has suffered. Her face is full of horror and tears, if you look hard enough, can be seen forming in her eyes.

“Yes ma’am, she has. Her foster family has been worried sick and are fearful for her safety.” Good lie, they aren’t scared for her, they are scared what would happen if she tells someone about what they’ve done to her. “Please, if you see her or even hear rumors about her, can you give me a call? Also, if you ever find yourself in need of a lawyer don’t hesitate to call me first. I will admit my rates can be, exuberant, but I’m sure we can work something out.” The way his gaze runs over me makes me feel dirty, and as he makes his suggestion for an alternate form of payment I already imagine myself going through some various torture techniques on him. “Know what, have you eaten already? I have not been able to and would be honored to have the company of a lovely young woman to show me where the best place to dine is.” I can’t help but cringe at the thought, though I make it look as if it was a regular shiver.

“No thanks, I already have a girlfriend.” And I know she’d be more than happy to join me in torturing you. However I do take his offered business card as he frowns at my confession.

“To bad. If things don’t work out, don’t hesitate to call.” Just as he is about to leave, Lily walks up to me with a smile and gives me a tight hug, which causes him to raise an eyebrow in shock. Shit, not good. Why couldn’t you stay over there a bit longer, Lily? Despite how hard he tries to hide it, I can tell he instantly recognized Lily, though doesn’t act on it.

“Hey Chrys, that circus looks so fun. I can’t wait to go check it---” Breaking away from me she finally realizes that I am talking to someone inside the vehicle. Looking at her I can tell she also knows exactly who I am talking to.

However, before she can say something I turn her around while secretly telling her to be quiet. “I will let you know if I see her. I am sorry, but I have to get going. Take care.” Not really. Just need to get out of here, fast. As we walk away I turn and make a mental note of the vehicle’s license plate. Hopefully it will lead to something of interest.

“Take care ma’am. And I must say, that is a lovely daughter you have.” His last words send a shiver up my back as I try to get us away from him and into the nearest restaurant.

I can tell how close she is to breaking after that brief encounter, so I gently wedge her bear between her tightly wrapped arms and give her a light hug. “Go get us a table, kiddo. I need to make a few calls.” The entire way to the seat and even after she sits down her gaze never breaks from me, following my slightest move as I pull out my phone. “Slicer, I need you to run a plate, and tell your brothers and at least two others I need them here, now, in two separate vehicles.”

“Where are you Ma’am, and what is the plate number?”

“I’m at the strip mall on Cervine Street, specifically the coney island. Once they get close, have them call me. As for the plate, it’s 1NN0C3NT, text me what you find out.”

“Yes Ma’am, will have that for you in an hour or so.”

Once the call is ended I send a group text to Luna, Celestia and Posey. ‘Someone needs to check on Moonshade now group meeting in 1hr @ Celestia’s house in the basement will explain then’

With the first call done and the text sent I debate on if I should make one other call or not, finally I decide to make it, just to be sure. “Hey, Shining Armor I---”

“What are you doing, calling me right now, Chrysalis? This better be important.” His words are laced with anger and I can hear the roar of his vehicle’s engine in the background.

“I’ll make this quick then, you remember that runaway girl you accidentally injured? Well I think one of her abusers have sent someone to find her, I’d appreciate it if you can make some drive- bys at Celestia’s house. Thank you.” Before he responds, or before I let him, I hang up, knowing he won’t ignore the request.

“Hey kiddo, feeling ok?” Sitting at the table across from Lily, I can tell how upset she is, and I can guess what thoughts are going through her mind. “Hey, earth to goofball, you’re about to wreck your bike.”

That got her attention alright. As she jerks in a little bit of surprise she just looks at me, her gaze heavily filled with fear. “N… no. I’m… I’m scared. Why… why did he… you won’t let him take me, will you?”

“I promise kiddo, I got a plan to take care of them, trust me. Now order anything you want.” As we go over the menu my phone goes off, the distinctive tone for one of my operatives. “I’ll be right back, gotta take this. Where are you?” I walk to the door, staying in site of Lily the whole way as I answer.

“We’re five minutes away, Ma’am. What do you have for us?”

“Fire, I have someone here who is looking for Moonshade and recognized Lily. He is in a black and chrome Hummer. I need you to cover us as we leave, block his line of sight until we are clear, or distract him. Then I want you guys to follow him, see where he goes and let me know.”

“Yes Ma’am, how is Lily doing?” I can tell how concerned he is for her, even if they met a couple days ago. That might not be a bad idea, having Fire watch over the house or act as their body guard.

“Scared, very scared right now. She was able to recognize the guy as well. While he is being distracted I am going to have Lily stowed in your vehicle, take her straight home and keep her out of sight, I’ll catch up to you later.”

Once I rejoin Lily our food arrives, though it takes some urging to get her to eat. “Hey Lily, I know you are upset, but I need you to listen to me and do exactly what I tell you to. I know you can do it.” Her only response is a slow nod as she chews. “We can’t stay here long, but I have backup. They’re gonna cause a distraction and once they signal you with a wave I want you to run as fast as you can to the other vehicle and keep your head down for the entire drive. Fire is going to be the one driving, and he’ll take you straight to Celestia’s, I’ll be there shortly.”

“Are you… you promise that he will not follow me?” I can tell she’s scared, but she tries to hide it, though she does shiver some.

“I promise, we’ll keep you and Moonshade safe. Now hurry up and finish eating, we got about ten minutes. When we get done I’ll treat you to all the Chinese you can eat.” Nodding, she finishes in what seems like a record time, causing me to laugh. Before we leave I make another call, this one a conference between myself and the two drivers.”Alright guys, we are about to leave and he is watching us. Stalker, any ideas on how to create the best distraction?”

“Yes Ma’am, gonna ram into the driver’s side. Seeing how he is parked, it won’t be hard to get him in trouble, and if you stay here for a bit adding on a stalking charge wouldn’t hurt either.”

“We’ll sneak right up to the curb after you start an argument and get him to face away from us.”

“Alright boys, sounds like a plan. Remind me to give you guys a raise once we finish all of this.” With the phone turned off and back in my pocket I turn to Lily. “Ok kiddo, get ready to run, you can do this.” As soon as I finish talking the unmistakable sound of metal smashing into metal echos throughout the area, causing the diners to jump and stare. As soon as Mr. Creepy has his attention turned from us Fire pulls up, the rear driver side door flying open.

As promised, Lily rushes to the vehicle and actually slides into the waiting vehicle. Once she is buckled and hidden Fire pulls away casually. Before I exit I request to see the manager of this establishment, spinning a tale about how this guy is a stalker and is my abusive ex, asking them if he comes around asking about us not to tell him.

Once they promise not to say anything I head out into the parking lot, which is becoming crowded with onlookers and a couple police vehicles. “Officer, officer, I… I saw the whole thing. I can’t be sure but… I think he was watching me.”

The question and answer session with the officers lasts for a little longer than I figured, but I think that they have enough to arrest him for the night. I just hope that holds him for a while so we can really get something on him. In relief I make my way back to Celestia’s, taking an alternate route, using way too many turns and double backs while keeping an eye out for anyone tailing me for too long.

As I pull up, the vehicle Fire is driving is parked across the street and only occupied by his passenger, who is keeping a wary eye out. A quick check of my phone shows that the requested info from Slicer has not yet appeared. A quick nod is all the acknowledgement I give before I shut the engine off and storm inside.

“Hey Chrys, is everything alright?” Sunset’s concerned question is not answered as I hastily make my way to the basement, my face contorted in a grimace. I can tell she is debating on following me, and as I head down the stairs I finally notice that both Lily and Moonshade are missing from the living room.

“Hey Celestia, Posey, thank you for meeting me so quickly---” I figured the two girls most affected by this recent turn of events will be in the back room, not down here, along with Fire. I don’t even know how they got Moon down the stairs. “Why are they here?”

Good going, idiot. they don’t need to be upset anymore than they are. They need to be helped. Lily’s and Moon’s cringing at my words brings me to smack my forehead mentally as I take a seat next to Lily and wrap her in a hug. Even Fire raises his eyebrows at my words while frowning. “Sorry Lily, Moonshade, this new development… it stressed me out, a lot. The whole ride here I could not help but think of all the possible negative outcomes of what could have happened with me not here.” Nervously she returns the hug, but she quickly buries her tear filled face into my shoulder while I can tell that Moonshade is ready to kill someone, despite her earlier cringing.

“Alright Chrysalis, now that you are here, finally, what is going on? We got somewhat of an idea from Lily and your man here.” Posey is keeping her calm as she just stands by the near wall, resting against it a little. Celestia is fidgeting a little, her fingers drumming against the biceps of her folded arms while trying to keep her calm. Luna, meanwhile is pacing angrily off to the side, her arms shaking every few minutes as if she wants to punch something repeatedly.

“Well, I don’t know exactly how far their list of friends go, but it seems that Lily’s parents have some very important people backing them. They sent someone here to look for Moonshade, but he caught a glimpse of Lily before I could stop it. I have someone looking into our new guest, I should have his information soon. Though right now he is in the custody of the police.”

My opening words doesn’t calm Luna at all, in fact it only serves to anger her even more and I can only guess at what is going on in her head. Posey, however takes my attention away from Luna. “I have been keeping tabs on what is going on with Lily’s parents, and it seems they are in jail, waiting for their trial. So who do you think is down here looking for her, and why?”

“Does it matter why? My daugh… Moonshade and Lily are in danger. What are we going to do about it!” Luna is nearly shouting as she stops and turns to face us, her eyes nearly consumed by her rising anger.

“We could move them out of the city. I know our family can help hide them until this blows over.” Celestia’s idea is just blurted out, but doesn’t sound all that bad to me.

Before I can even judge Luna’s or Posey's reaction, Moonshade’s boiling anger finally makes itself known. “NO, YOU PROMISED… ALL FOUR OF YOU PROMISED THAT YOU WOULDN’T ABANDON US! YOU SAID YOU COULD PROTECT AND CARE FOR US, WERE YOU JUST LYING?” All of us just look at her as she struggles to turn so she can stare at Luna, who stops her pacing and stares back. “AND YOU! YOU ARE THAT READY TO GIVE ME UP, FOR A SECOND TIME? WHAT HAPPENED TO WANTING TO MAKE UP AND START OVER, HUH?” Even with my attention on Moonshade, I feel Lily jump a little as she tries to press even further into me, her hands covering her ears as I wrap her in a gentle hug.

“Calm do---”

“Moon, you’---”

“NO, I WON’T CALM DOWN! YOU SAID YOU WERE SORRY FOR GIVING ME UP AS A BABY! BUT YET HERE YOU ARE, ALL READY TO GET RID OF ME AT THE DROP OF A PIN! I HATE YOU!” Her fist, with the wrist wrapped in an ace bandage, punches hard and deep into the nearest pillow a couple times before Luna can stop her. She is kneeling in front of Moonshade gripping her wrist gently.

“Enough, Moon. You cannot risk hurting yourself even more. And yes, we did promise you that we will keep you safe, and that is why we are here. I do not agree with my sister’s idea to send you away.” She continues to stare into Moonshade’s eyes while speaking, her thumb running across the multitude of scars on her wrist. “While yes, it may seem the safer play, it is a false sense of safety. I would rather have the both of you stay here so we know you are both safe.”

“How do you propose we go about doing that, sister? We cannot take enough days off to ensure they would be safe, Posey and Chrysalis cannot do it either due to their work.” Celestia comes up behind Luna and looks down at her sibling, her fear for the two girls plainly evident.

The clearing of his throat draws our attention to Fire, who has moved after I sat down, staying by the doorway. “If I could, ma’am, I have an idea.”

“Go ahead Fire, and you don’t have to be so formal here.”

“Yes ma’---, myself and Stalker are currently not on any assignments and we could pull a security detail for them while you are away at work, secure the house with one or both of us providing outside or inside security. Also, we can provide security while you are out at a mall or wherever.”

“I’ll have to see if I can pay you guys for this. But if I can’t, are you both alright with not being payed for this detail?”

“Yes, we are. There are more important things than money, and protecting two innocent victims is one of them. You can talk this over with Stalker, but we both came to the same conclusion and idea.” Moonshade tries to turn and look at him suspiciously while Lily smiles and hugs him.

“What do you think, Celestia?” I don’t have to convince Luna, I can tell she is already on board with this idea.

“I personally do not like it. I’d rather go with my idea, but if you are willing to do this of your own free will, Fire and both Lily and Moonshade agree to it, than I will go along with it.” Celestia releases a pent up breath filled with stress as her arms unfold and she takes a few steps towards the bed.

“I like the idea. Thank you, Fire.” Lily pulls away from him and makes her way up the stairs, skipping a little. Either she’s thirsty, or needs to use the bathroom. Either way, we need to take a step back and cool down some, wait till I get some more information and figure things out some more.

As she closes the door the four of us turn to face Moonshade, who sighs and in a surprising move, uses her least injured arm to press on my shoulder and she struggles to stand. Before we can even think to stop her, she is on one foot, swaying unsteadily as she glares up at Fire. “If you do, the only rooms you are allowed to be in are the kitchen, living room and bathroom. One wrong move, one wrong look, and I will make you regret it. Now get me upstairs, I’m done here.” Her bandaged arm wraps around Luna’s neck as the woman scoops her up, trying to be as careful as she can and heads upstairs.

“I hope you and your boys know what you are doing, Chrys. We are taking a major risk, keeping them here. Why do you think the guy is here?” Posey says as it is now just the four of us here in the basement.

“I think they are here to find them, specifically Moonshade, to keep her from testifying against the two families that abused her.”

“What is going on with our new unwelcomed visitor?” Celestia flops down onto the bed, landing on her back. An arm flopped over her eyes.

“Right now, he is in custody at the station. I got a few guys working on digging into his information and seeing what they can dig up on him that can be useful to keep him there. If it’s alright with you, Celestia, I want to install a top of the line security system. It’ll alert myself, Fire and Stalker of any break-ins or anything suspicious.”

“Alright, whatever you feel is best. Go and do it Chrys.”