• Published 18th Jun 2016
  • 2,542 Views, 64 Comments

The Ballad of Smarty Pants - Shakespearicles



Smarty Pants tells a story about her best friend, Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
8
 64
 2,542

Overdue for Tea

"... storage ... clean ... empty closet ..."

Voices.

After an eternity, voices!

The box shifted.

And movement!

The box moved and landed somewhere else. The box opened.

Light! Who is that?

I looked up at the pony standing over the box. It was the tall one- what's-her-name. With the wavy mane. It moved and shimmered. She looked older. She looked worn out. No wait, her fur was... white? This pony's fur isn't. She froze, putting a hoof over her mouth. She began to cry. Silent tears at first, and then openly sobbing. A large dragon appeared beside her.

"Are you okay?" he asked the tall pony.

She didn't answer. She never took her eyes off of me. Her eyes, those eyes, and her fur. It was the same color as-

"Twilight?" he asked.

Twilight!? Twilight! Was that really you!?

"Cancel everything, Spike," Twilight said through her tears.

"What? For the whole day!?" he asked.

"Clear out the week!" Twilight said.

"Twilight, you're a princess. You can't just take a vacation like that."

"I can. And I will. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. Make it happen."

"Twilight, there are going to be delegates downstairs waiting for tea with you."

"They can wait for me until another time. Just send them away. I don't care how. Go." She dismissed him. He left to carry out her orders, closing the door behind him. She reached into the box, gently taking me in her hooves. The box crumbled away from around me, disintegrating from the passage of the years.

"They can wait. You've waited for me long enough." She cradled me in her hooves and kissed me. I still had my notebook with me. I showed it to her.

Look! It says that two plus two equals four. You taught me that? Remember?

"I do. I was so proud of you. You were such a good friend. You were my best friend. And I forgot all about you for all these years. I'm so sorry!" Twilight bawled. I had never seen her so sad as she openly wept. She clutched me tight to her as she cried and cried and cried, wetting my fur with her tears. She let it all out. All the years of stress and responsibility of being an adult.

It was okay. She hugged me. She remembered me. It was okay. We could be young again together. She carried me to her bed. It was bigger now. She laid down and held me beside her. She looked so tired.

It would be okay. She just needed a little nap. That always helped her before.

She wept as she laid in her bed, clutching me close. She wept for the cruel irony that the first friend she made, the one that had always been there for her and truly understood her the most, was the one that she abandoned first.

"I love you. I will never forget about you or leave you alone in the dark again."


Author's Note:

"Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early adulthood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

Comments ( 54 )

GAH! Fuck! The feels, man.

I am sitting here, at a family reunion, on a couch, digesting a late lunch, weeping silently as the rest discuss the location for next year. My gods, this is weapons-grade feels, Shakes!

Wow... AN E-rated story from you... This is new.

I loved this fic please make more

Made me cry. Very good.:fluttercry:

WHOA! i don get it?

why do I find stories like this at times when I need them? and how do people always know how to make me cry?

A Toy Story: the tragic version.

Really puts reality of childhood toys

Nicely done.

This was a real tearjerker. I loved playing with my toys as a kid and thinking of them as being alive. I still like to keep some of them to remember those times.

So i'Ve just spend 3 chapters with tears in my eyes.

Great work. :)
I'm glad I still have the plushies I loved as a kid behind my bed.

This was adorably sad. But at least it had a happy ending.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

Whyyyy shakes !!!! Why must you dredge up the feels!!!!!!:fluttercry:

Pfft, feels? I don't...!
Don't.
...
My chest, eye- *tear* Oh shit.

7318266
So the regular version of toy story then?

This reminds me that I really wish someone would do a complete story of Smarty Pants becoming, and remaining a real pony. I remember their were a couple attempts beyond one-shots, but they never get more than a few chapters before being abandoned.
Who wouldn't want to real about a little filly or colt Smarty Pants being raised by a frantic Twilight thrown into parenting after a magic mishap? A monster, that's who.

:fluttercry: x :raritycry:

When sheeeee loved meeeeeee

This is iike toy story all over again much cry so sadness more tears :fluttercry:

Right in the feels.:fluttershysad:

7325743 Damn it! :fluttercry: Don't you get me started again

You motherfucker, these were my feels :fluttercry:

I will never let go of my old stuffed animal now. EVER.

7329204 He's on the murder spree for everybody's feels. Call the cops!

i have no clue why man but i feel the need to somehow compete with this story......maybe

you know when I read this fic it remise me of listening to Cats it the Cradle :raritydespair: dame good song

Dammit. Reading this has made me wanna find my stuffed friend. And can't find him anywhere! :raritycry:

This was a great and enjoyable read. Thank you for tugging at my heartstrings.

So Sweet and sad!

it least it has an happy ending...but this made me cry, thinking my friend in my moms closet..i've never forgotten about him...

:pinkiesad2: A happy ending to such a sad story. Definitely one of my top favorites now.

Read through this in one sitting. God damn. I know the comic it's based off of, too. Ah, the feelings invoked. Wonderfully-done.

This is the first story of yours I've read so far. I almost wish I had done so later, since it will be a really tough act to follow.

Shakespearicles, has anyone ever told you they intend to hit you in the stomach for all the feels you inflict on us?

This was really sweet, and so was the comic this was based on. I like the quote at the end; most writers don't usually include such a suitable one. Is there going to be a sequel, by any chance? The ending to this one felt open enough, and it does seem to leave room for continuation, much like how in the comic Twilight passed on Smarty to her own foals.

9423432 I wrote this in response to the first comic, (which really messed me up). It was a sort of self-therapy to give myself the closure I needed after reading that. The comic sequels they made after were made (partly) as a result of this very fic. But there is no intention for a continuation here, myself.

9423438
Understandable. The ending did feel like it could be seen as a bit of a tease.

The comic sequels they made after were made (partly) as a result of this very fic.

...Really? Wow!

9090270
Well, I say it too. :-P

"Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early adulthood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

Damn right, Clive. Damn bloody right, ol' chap. Cheers!

This has so much feels to it. What inspired it?

So. Many. Feels. And it's all based around Smarty Pants. Wonderful work bro, absolutely wonderful.

thank you

Thank you for recommending this story to me! It for sure tugged on the heartstrings as many others have already said, and I think that's due to the fact that Smarty Pants was well written, especially when she was put back into the box by Twilight after she was taken from the lab, which kind of reminded me of the Woody's Nightmare scene in Toy Story 2. That kind of moment along with the repetition of two plus two equaling four made me feel for SP, and I'm glad to see that she got her happy ending with Twilight :twilightsmile: She deserved it. Overall, a nice short read.

Login or register to comment