• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 2,644 Views, 76 Comments

The Royal Foal-Hood - Uke-Joe



What will happen when Luna and Celestia try to raise a foal?

  • ...
3
 76
 2,644

Chapter 4

The Royal Foal-Hood Chapter 4
Uke-Joe

Tate woke up, and was surprised to find it was still night. An awful headache reminded him why he had been sleeping.

“Ugh” groaned Tate, stumbling to his hooves. His head felt lighter than normal.

“Tate! You're awake!” yelled a voice to his left. He turned quickly, a little too quickly, and tripped over something and fell.

“Oh, sorry Tate.” said the voice he now he recognized as Applebloom's. She helped him up, and he looked down to see what he had tripped over.

“Oh my Celestia! Tate, your h-”

“My horn.” he said, aghast. It had been sliced clean off of his head, leaving only a stump. He picked it up off the ground. They stared at it. Wondering what to do.

“So... are you going to be alright?” asked Applebloom.

Tate recalled a conversation Celestia had with a very concerned parent of a young unicorn who had broken his horn. “Yes, I'll be fine as soon as I get someone with enough magic to fix it. It's the same as any other bone”.

“So, you can unfreeze everypony?” asked Applebloom

Tate looked around them. Twilight, Spike, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, both of their friends, and Fluttershy were all stuck in midair. He shook his head.

“That would take too much magic. I can barely channel enough magic through this broken horn to move them down to the ground.” Tate moved them all softly to the ground. “Wouldn't want them to get hurt once we find someway to turn time back on”

“Ah guess so, but how are we gonna do that?”

Tate thought for a minute. “Well we should probably find the Princesses anyways, lets go to the town hall” They began walking in silence.

“So uh, how long was I asleep for?” asked Tate.

“Ah would say, a few hours at least, you got hit pretty hard”

The silence resumed until they got the town hall. Tate walked upstairs to where Luna and Celestia's rooms were. Tate check on both of them, who seemed unharmed and appeared to be resting. A few prods by Tate proved that they were actually frozen, and Tate's ability to resume time for anypony had been disabled too. They walked downstairs.

“Do you want to go check on Applejack?” asked Tate.

Applebloom shook her head, “Ah ran over to the farm when you were still asleep. Her, Granny Smith, and Big Mac are alright. Ah'm more concerned with what we should do to get everypony back moving again.” She sighed and sat down.

Tate was about to say something when he heard a whirring noise coming from outside and walked over to the door. Applebloom followed him. They gasped as they saw what what happening.

The noise grew louder and they noticed a bright flashing light . The light rested on top of a blue box.

***

It was earlier in the middle of the afternoon when the doctor stepped out of the TARDIS. He inhaled deeply and enjoyed the smells of the nearby Canterlot gardens before approaching one of the royal guards stationed at the gate.

“Hello!” he greeted the guard in his usually cheery manner. “ I was wondering if the Princesses were here today, as I'd very much like to meet with them.”

The guard shook his head. “Nope, they're in Ponyville, you'll have to go there if you wish to meet them today”

The doctor frowned, “But I was just in Ponyville!” Deciding to make the most of his trip, he asked, “Well can I at least get in to look at the gardens then?”

The guard thought for a moment. “I suppose so, there isn't much harm you can do from there”. He opened the gate and Doctor Whooves trotted inside. He walked straight past the garden and into the Canterlot Sculpture Garden.

“Ahh, Victory! It's been a long time, old chap!” he spoke to one of the statues, which caused a nearby tour group to give him a strange look and hurry along. Paying no attention to them, he continued until he reached the statue of Discord.

“Hm, looks sound. No structural damage” he said to himself while pulling out his sonic screwdriver, “And appears to be napping at the moment! Splendid.”

With that issue taken care of, he walked away back towards the gates where he had left the TARDIS. He heard a ominous laugh and a cracking noise behind him. He paused, and heard the noise again, a bit louder this time. He turned around and saw a large crack running through the statue.

“Oh, dear.” he said to himself, before running back towards the TARDIS. “That's not good.”

***

“Is somepony out there?” Called Applebloom to the Blue box.

A brown stallion with a hourglass cutie mark walked out of the TARDIS. “Hello there!”

Applebloom recognized the stallion. “Dr. Whooves!”. She ran over to greet him before realizing something. “Wait, just how are you still moving?”

“Still moving? What do you mean?” The Doctor looked around him, noticing that there was no wind, and a few leaves that had fallen from trees were stuck in midair. The animals all around were like statues. “Oh, and how did this happen?” asked the doctor, not nearly as surprised as somepony in his situation might have been.

Tate spoke up, “Well you see, I can sorta control time. Or at least stop it, and make it go faster.
Well I could anyways, until...” he pointed to his forehead.

The Doctor grimaced, “Ooh, ah. Well a little Unicorn magic should fix you right up shouldn't it?”

Tate looked in a mirror at his broken horn, “Probably more than a little bit of magic, seeing we have more magic in our horns than most ponies, but, everypony is frozen!”

The Doctor paused in thought, “Well then, how about we go find a somepony with lots of magic?” he motioned to the big blue box he had appeared in.

Tate and Applebloom cautiously stepped forward to look at the box. Despite everything both Celestia and Luna or Applejack and Big Mac had told them about getting into anything with strangers, they both walked into the box.

“Oh hay” said Applebloom.

“Celestia's flanks!” exclaimed Tate, which earned him a glare from Applebloom. “What? Luna says it all the time!” he defended.

They looked around the inside of the box again.

“It's-” began the young stallion.

“Bigger-” continued the young mare.

“On the inside than on the outside? Unicorn architecture, its great isn't it?” explained the Doctor, busy fiddling with various knobs and levers in the middle of the room. Applebloom still looked extremely shocked, but all of a sudden it was as if everything made sense to Tate. “Wow, this must have cost a ton! I mean unicorn architecture... it cost Luna a small fortune just to have her closet made into a walk in.”

The Doctor had no idea if Unicorn architecture was really a thing, but decided now probably wasn't the time to go into details about his TARDIS. “Yes well, I'd recommend you'd hang onto something, this part of the trip gets a little shaky.” The devices in the middle of the room started moving and

“A trip? Where are we going?” Tate shouted at the doctor, trying to speak over the noise of the strange device.

“How about a thousand years ago?” the Doctor yelled back to him.

Tate and Applebloom looked at each other with wide eyes. “What did you say?!?” they yelled at him.

The Doctor groaned, recalling he hadn't said exactly to where, or when, the TARDIS could take them. Preparing himself for the conversation, he began to fill in the ponies on exactly how he had appeared in front of them earlier.

***

The Doctor walked out of his blue box, followed by Applebloom and Tate, who still looked a little shook up.

“Welcome to Canterlot everypony!” The Doctor trotted towards the city.

“This is Canterlot?” Tate asked, awestruck. “It seems so small!”

“Well it hasn't had that long to grow Tate, they only recently moved out of the old palace. Tate remembered the stories about the old palace, which was now in the middle of the Everfree Forest. They began walking towards the palace, the Doctor going on about the history of Canterlot, with neither Tate or Applebloom paying much attention. “Why don't we go pay Celestia and Luna a visit?”

They almost reached the large gates outside of the palace when Doctor Whooves stopped to look a cart full of hats.

“Excuse me, how much for this one?” The Doctor held out a fez to the salespony.

“That one? How does 8 bits sound?” The salespony let out a laugh.

The Doctor paid for it and put the hat on his head before trotting over to where Tate and Applebloom were sitting.

“Ah ain't Rarity, but even Ah wouldn't suggest wearing that hat around here! Ponies are giving you looks already!” said Applebloom, motioning to the ponies passing by, who were all staring at them.

“Fezzes are cool!” complained the doctor. “Besides, its not for me, it's for Tate.”

Tate chuckled, “Oh no, I'm alright Doctor. Thanks though.”

The Doctor put the hat on Tate's head, effectively covering up his broken horn. “I figured that might draw suspicion, as shown by all the ponies that were just staring at you. It's not everyday you see an alicorn that isn't Princess.” The Doctor smiled at Tate.

“I guess you're right Doc, thanks.” They set off towards the palace, passing through the gates. It was still day, so Celestia would still be meeting with concerned citizens. Once they got there, They were lead to a large room Tate recognized as what would become the dining hall. There were relatively few ponies there, waiting for the princess to begin meeting with her citizens again.

They waited for a few minutes, Tate and Applebloom sat down some of the chairs that had been set out for the ponies. Not long after that Princess Celestia returned, and the ponies bowed to her. Tate was unused to bowing for his sister, and stooped too low and barely caught his hat in time to cover up the stub of his horn. He thought he saw the Princess looking at him, but was relieved to see she didn't appear to have done so. He took his seat back again and waited for the princess to meet with them.

Since they had been the last ones to arrive to the hall, they would be the last to be met with. Before too long Tate and Applebloom were already bored, so Tate pulled out a ball he had with him and they began to toss it back and forth.

An hour passed, and they realized they were the only ponies there who were still waiting for the princess. As soon as the princess finished with the pony in front of them, she called them forward.

“My little ponies, what seems to be the concern?”

Tate and Applebloom looked at Doctor Whooves, who spoke up, “Your majesty, it's been awhile”.

Princess Celestia paused for a moment, looking carefully at Doctor and then smiled. “I suppose it has Doctor, I'm afraid I didn't recognize you at first. So what brings you here today?”

“I'm afraid that disaster has struck equestria”, the Princess looked very confused at this, “Oh, but it's not anything you need to worry about for a long time. We just need to borrow some of your magic abilities for a bit.” The doctor looked at Tate, who removed his hat.

Celestia gasped at the sight of the alicorn . “Wh- What is this?”

The doctor spoke up, “Again, something you won't have to worry about for a long time.”

“I don't understand though, only myself and Nightmare Moon are alicorns.”

“Nightmare Moon?” Tate thought to himself, vaguely remembering something in one of the books he had read in Canterlot's library once. Nightmare Moon wasn't a subject Luna and Celestia brought up much.

The Doctor spoke “At the moment, yes. It's probably best if you just heal his horn and forget about this.”

Celestia nodded her head, “Yes, just let me bring the moon up first, as I'm afraid it will take me all of my magical energy to fix. Alicorn horns have a lot more magic than most unicorn horns.”

They waited as the day faded and Celestia brought up the moon. Tate saw what confirmed Luna's presence on the moon from the pattern of the mare on the moon. He suddenly felt sorry for his big sister.

“Now, are we ready?” asked Celestia. Tate nodded his head and took out the rest of his horn, which he had been carrying with him.

A film of magical energy wrapped around Celestia's horn and his broken off horn. The color of the energy shifted from a light blue to pink as the horn began reattaching itself to its owner. Tate felt a tingling at the top of his forehead, and closed his eyes waiting for it to be over.

Celestia took a step back and dropped the magical aura that surrounded her horn. “I'm afraid that's the best I can do. There's some sort of magical energy preventing a full recovery without the assistance of more magic. She looked longingly at the moon. “Until you find another powerful magician, you'll have to make due a fraction of your magical capabilities.”

“How small a fraction?” asked Tate

“Well, you probably can't go flying about through time like you have been.” Celestia winked. “I noticed your cutie mark when you first walked in, I assume your special talent has something to do with time, and you are not a fancy timepiece designer?”

“Ever observant Princess. Yes, he has control over time, and can even stop it, which is one up over my TARDIS” the Doctor said, “of course, being reliant on his magic, which is temporarily hindered, I'm afraid we are confined to it.”

The Doctor and Celestia shared a brief laugh. “In all seriousness though, do not strain yourself. I would estimate you have half of your original power. Still enough to outmatch a normal unicorn, no doubt.”

It was the middle of the night, and the Princess needed her sleep. She bid them farewell as they left. Tate put on the fez once again. They walked outside and Tate looked up at the moon.

“So, Luna is really stuck up there?” Tate asked, “Can we go see her?”

“Yes and no Tate. Nightmare Moon is up there. She is not your sister, but an evil version of Luna. I think we should be more worried about the Luna back in our own time, don't you?”

Tate nodded, but looked down at the ground, imagining the 1000 years of loneliness on the moon. He made a mental note to give Luna a big hug once she woke up.

Applebloom looked at Tate, who was clearly saddened. She put a foreleg over him as they walked, embracing him from the side. He looked up and smiled at her, and returned the hug. She was glad it was dark out, because she could feel her cheeks becoming closer to the color of her hair. They broke the embrace and caught up to the doctor.

“Doctor Whooves, didn't we leave your box around here?” asked Tate.

There wasn't much by them, just outside of Canterlot. A few big trees and some smaller bushes but that was all. A blue box would be pretty hard to miss.

Applebloom stepped on something and looked down, “Whats this?”

The Doctor grabbed it with his mouth, it was a piece of paper. He opened it and brought his sonic screwdriver out for light to read it with.

“Hang on Doctor” Tate said, illuminating the tip of his horn. He shined the light at the paper.

“Oh, right.” said the Doctor, pocketing his screwdriver. “Ahem. Doctor Whooves! By now you have probably noticed the disappearance of your blue box. I took it, as I also have taken your friends and the princesses. But because I am a fair Draconiquis, and beating a helpless enemy is no fun anyways, here's a hopeful message. You can find the elements of Harmony scattered throughout Equestria and time. You should find a package underneath one of those trees there. It contains your one and only clue. Don't die too soon! I want to have fun with you yet.
Sincerely,

Your friend, Discord.

“Well that's no fair! Jus' how are we supposed to travel through time? We don't have your fancy box thing doctor, and Tate doesn't have enough magic to get us anywhere!” Applebloom cried. Tate walked over to inspect the package that was supposedly by the tree. He found it and opened it up, a burst of magic hit him in the face.

“TATE!” yelled Applebloom, running over to him, “Are you alright?”

Tate stood up and shook his head, “I think I'm a little bit better actually, that magic went straight to my horn. It might take me a while to recover, but I might be able to teleport us through time now!”

“Well that's good news, but I'm afraid I won't be going with you Tate” said the Doctor.

Tate and Applebloom stood still, stunned at the doctors words. “But, what if we need you Doctor?”

The Doctor shook his head, “You'll be fine together. I saw you two back there when we were walking here” he winked, “You two won't let anything happen to each other. Besides, you can recover from teleports faster this way”.

Tate and Applebloom still looked unconvinced, if a little bit embarrassed. The Doctor sighed, “Look, I'm not normally one to turn down an adventure or a challenge, but I have a feeling that I'm needed here anyways. Tate, you're a good, and powerful young stallion, Applebloom, you're a smart and clever young mare. Now go to wherever that clue in the box says, before I force you to teleport there.”

Tate was still unsure, but if the Doctor had a feeling that he was needed here, that was good enough for him. “Alright, lets go Applebloom.” He looked at the clue in the box, and turned back to the Doctor, who motioned him forwards.

He grabbed a hold of Applebloom and warmed up his horn, searching for the place and date. Releasing the magical energy, he felt the ground around him begin to shake and his horn glow brighter before both he and Applebloom were whisked away in a bubble of blue magical energy.

The doctor looked down at the time and place in the box. Puzzled, he shrugged and walked back towards the palace.

***

Tate and Applebloom reappeared in another flash of blue energy, and fell to the ground. “My landings could use a bit of work” Tate thought to himself.

“Uh, Tate.” said Applebloom, pulling a twig out of her mane, “Just where are we?”

Tate turned around and told her, “Welcome to Ponyville, 930 A.B. (After Banishment).”

“Ponyville?!?!” said Applebloom, “But almost the only people here in 930 A.B. would be my-”

She was cut off by the yell of a very excited green mare, “THE ZAP APPLES ARE COMING! THE ZAP APPLES ARE COMING!”

“family.” finished Applebloom.