• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 2,633 Views, 76 Comments

The Royal Foal-Hood - Uke-Joe



What will happen when Luna and Celestia try to raise a foal?

  • ...
3
 76
 2,633

Prologue

Canterlot was normally a very busy place, but with Hearth's Warming just around the corner, Equestria's Capitol found itself bursting with ponies and noises, the snow that sagged on the roofs of houses and was trampled on the streets of Canterlot doing little to buffer the noise. Business ponies stood in their warm shops, inviting ponies in to sample their wintery goods, an offer simply too good to refuse for one pink pony who was surprisingly energetic and joyful despite the dreary weather.

"What do you mean, no cupcakes?", the pink mare exclaimed to an extremely frustrated stallion,"Cupcakes are super delicious! Everypony LOVES cupcakes!"

"I'm sorry Miss Pinkie, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave", replied Toasty Hooves, the rather large fireplace salespony "Our fireplaces are for warmth, not baking cupcakes", He stated in a rather cross fashion.

The scene looked as if hundreds of fireplaces had decided to spew cupcake materials upon dozens of hopeful buyers. Ponies covered in flour wore a rather shocked expression on their faces, and turned to face their overly hyper pink attacker.

The pink mare produced a small giggle to the angry pony she was talking to and glanced up at him with a hopeful smile. The rather large fireplace salespony looked entirely unamused by the behavior of the pink mare, who sighed and grabbed her unfinished cupcakes and shoved them into her saddlebags.

Pinkie ran off hastily into the alleyway, before any angry pony had a chance to act. She began searching for somewhere to dispose of her ruined saddlebags, dripping with cupcake batter. after a small dash through the alleyways, she bounced over to a small trashcan and held her saddlebags in her mouth over it, preparing to drop it in when her ears perked up at the sound of a small whimper coming from by one of the buildings around her. Deciding that she probably had no use for her bags regardless of what created the whimpering noise, she tossed her bags in the trashcan and slammed the lid shut, preparing to search for the creator of the noise.


Pinkie bounced over to the other side of the alleyway and peeked under a blanket.

"Eeep!" She exclaimed as she recoiled in surprise. Quickly recovering, she leaned forward and uncovered the small and shivering object again.

Now uncovered was the face of a startled and cold young colt, even younger than Applebloom or Sweetie Belle. He had a blue coat with a messy bright tan-yellow mane, along with a unicorn's horn protruding from the front of it. He looked shocked, and helpless. Pinkie's hair straightened when she saw the unmistakable marks of tears running down his cheeks. As he was still trembling as the strange mare wrapped him in his blanket and picked him up, Pinkie looked around for the parents of the young colt. She peeked in all the nearby houses, but no pony recognized the foal. She even tried searching under all the rocks and in all the cans in the alleyway, but still had no luck. Realizing the parents must not be around, she shifted the child who was resting in her foreleg and sat down, worried, considering what should be done with the shivering blue mass huddled close to her.

“Ooooo! I know what to do with you!”, she suddenly exclaimed to a still frightened but less freezing little pony. “Princess Celestia knows almost EVERYTHING! Shes been around for like, EVER! I'm sure she can find your Parents!”

The colt, not understanding a single word, simply stared as the mare broke out into a wide grin and her hair almost magically poofed into its original pink curly style. Still not understanding as the same Pink mare swiftly began cheerily hopping down the street towards a castle, he drifted into a warmth induced sleep, snuggling closer against the warm pink mare.

***


"My faithful student", addressed Princess Celestia to a lavender colored mare that had just walked into her castle.

Twilight Sparkle smiled after giving a short bow and walked over to embrace her mentor and princess. Celestia smiled and returned the embrace.

After disengaging, she briefly acknowledged each of the rest of Twilight's group, noticing the absence of one exceptionally hyper pink mare.

"Twilight, where is your friend, the Element of Laughter?"

The rest of the group looked around, only now realizing their missing friend. Applejack spoke up,

"Ah think Pinkie had the idea ta visit the shops before coming here, Princess".

The Solar Princess took a moment to process this, "Very well, I shall have the Royal guards guide her to her room once she arrives. In the meantime, why don't I show you where you'll be staying."

The Princess motioned for a pair of guards to carry the luggage bought by the ponies, and led the group up from the main hall of the castle to the room where they would be staying. Rainbow Dash promptly proceeded to plop down on the sofa, while Rarity exclaimed about how fancy everything seemed. The guards delivered the luggage of the ponies to the room, then exited to stand out in the hallway.

The room was of course, “simply marvelous”, as Rarity put it, but Twilight was more concerned with matters at hand than the room.

“When will we be able to meet you and Luna, Princess?”, inquired Twilight. Why do they have to meet again?

Celestia smiled, “I had hoped you would all come join Princess Luna and myself in the dining hall for dinner or dessert as soon as Pinkie had arrived, if your journey wasn't too taxing on you, that is”

“Oh no Princess!”, a timid Pegasus approached the Princess and Twilight, “We would l-love to join you!... um.. I mean. If you want.... I guess”, finishing her sentence with a soft squeal.

Princess Celestia simply smiled at the small Pegasus who was trying desperately to hide behind her pink mane. “I look forward to your company then, we will have much to discuss I'm sure”, said Celestia before turning around and trotting out the door to join her guards.

The group of mares decided it would be best to take care of their luggage, and Pinkies also, seeing as she had dumped it off with Applejack's before she left. With nothing left to do besides wait for their friend, they all lounged around in the room next to the hallway, Twilight reading a book, Dash and Applejack in a vicious staring competition, Fluttershy unwillingly being the referee for the 2, and Rarity applying makeup to herself.

Suddenly, everypony flinched when a flying pink cannonball came crashing through the window. Causing them all to panic, besides Rainbow, who started celebrating her victory against Applejack, paying no attention to the Pink mare that had just entered.

“Pinkie! Where were you??? We're already late to-”,Twilight was cut off by Pinkie Pie shushing her, pointing towards the center of the bundle of blankets in her hooves.

“Uhhh... Pinkie?”, Twilight whispered, “What is that?”

Pinkie carefully laid down the sleeping foal on the couch in the middle of the room, poking him with her muzzle to prod him awake. The others surrounded her as it awoke, and gave an adorable little yawn. Fluttershy quickly swooped down to pick him up, “Aren't you just the most adorable little unicorn?”, she asked the giggling young colt, before making incomprehensible noises at it.

“Pinkie, you never told us you had a foal...”,stated one awestruck Twilight.

Pinkie giggled before saying, “Oh silly, he isn't MY foal”, as she bounced into her room, followed by everyone except Fluttershy, still with the blue foal.

“Woahwoahwoahwoahwoah, Wait. Are you saying you just TOOK some unicorn's kid?!?”, exclaimed Rainbow Dash.

“Darling, that is simply unforgivable! We must return the poor thing to its parents!”, said Rarity.

Pinkie looked at her friends with a questioning look, “Of course I didn't take it! I found him after being kicked out of Mister Toasty Hooves fireplace shop. Wellllll they didn't exactly kick me out but they didn't want me to make any more cupcakes using their fireplaces, but I was like how could anypony not like cupcakes?!? But of course they got mad when I- UMPH-”, said Pinkie, still continuing to talk in a heavily muffled way.

Twilight stuck her hoof in Pinkies mouth, “Pinkie, back to the foal”, she said, removing her hoof.

“-but I couldn't just leave him there since nopony was around or anything, so I got the idea to ask Princess Celestia, since she must know who our little unicorn's parents are!”, continued Pinkie.

“Um, e-excuse me Twilight... but, I didn't know unicorns had, erm, wings?” spoke Fluttershy from the doorway.

Twilight turned to face her, “Of course they don't, only pegasi and alic- WOAH!”, The ponies stared at the unicorn in Fluttershy's hooves. With the blanket now removed, the group could clearly see a pair of folded blue wings by the colts sides. Double checking, there was also no doubt it had a equally blue horn on the top of it's head.

“So... what... were looking for a unicorn AND a Pegasus now?”, said Rainbow Dash.

Twilight face-hoofed, “No, Rainbow, it has a horn and wings, so at least one of its parents would have to be an Alicorn”.

Rainbow's eyes widened, “But Twi! The only Alicorn I know are-”

All the ponies in the room shared a quick glance with each other, before throwing open the door and sprinting down to the dining hall, Fluttershy a bit slower then the rest, as to not disturb the little colt.
***

“Celly, did not you say Twilight Sparkle and her friends were going to join us?”, Inquired Luna as she waited patiently at the main table in the dining hall.

“Yes Luna, Her and her friends were just waiting for Pinkie when I left them”, replied Celestia.

They rose to their hooves as the sound of hooves galloping towards them reached the sisters. They were startled when Twilight and her friends suddenly flung open the door and stormed in the hall, screeching to a halt right in front of the royal sisters.

“P-Princesses”, they gave a short bow, “I... We... Have a rather... personal question”.

Celestia and Luna glanced at each other, both wearing looks of confusion. They both nodded their heads to Twilight and asked what the question was.

“Well.... erm. It appears that... uh...”, Twilight stuttered.

“Oh for the love of Celestia's sweet flanks!”, yelled Rainbow, forgetting the suddenly very self conscious Princess was in the room, “Would you just spit it out? Who's been having a bit too much 'fun' with the Royal Guards at night?!”, brashly stated Rainbow.

“Um... Nopony? The night guards aren't very fun at all, even worse than the day guards. They don't even laugh at my jokes or help me tamper with Celestia's royal scale!” Pouted Luna.

Celestia gave Luna a quick death glare before continuing, “I'm afraid to ask, but what has brought this type of.... question... to come to us?”

“Well you see your majesty”, began Twilight, “Pinkie found a... foal in the streets”.

Celestia seemed upset, but still confused, “I see. Well child abandonment is illegal in Equestria, but it still happens, as it is with most things I make laws against”.

“Well, that’s not the only thing about this foal, see Princess, it-”, but Fluttershy, deciding not to wait any longer, simply flew over to the princess and placed the blue colt in her hooves.

Luna peeked over at the tyke while Celestia held it, at first noticing nothing in particular about the small child, it's blue coat, golden-yellow eyes, and tan-yellow mane with a blue horn separating it in the middle. There was nothing remarkable about the foal, besides perhaps how adorable it looked. Or at least she didn't think so, until it woke up it the arms of a new holder, and stretched all 6 limbs out.

“Wait, 6?” thought Luna. She recounted, four legs, two adorable tiny wings.

A horn and wings? But that meant.

Luna finally put 2 and 2 together, and glared at her sister, only to find an equal stare aimed at her.

“Luna-”, started the the eldest of the pair.

“Celly!”, blurted out the younger.

They paused, silence interrupted by Twilight, “So, it couldn't have been either of yours then... Surely you both would have noticed”. It took them a moment to realize that Twilight was right, and neither of them could have had the foal, since they would have noticed the developments.

“Well, Celly has been putting on a bit of weight recently, but nothing that dramatic!” said Luna, then catching sight of a very angry and thoroughly embarrassed Sun Goddess. “Sorry.” she whispered.

“Maybe a Pegasus daddy and unicorn mommy just loved each other very much?”, offered a smiling Pinkie Pie, who was making silly faces at one very amused and happy Alicorn foal.

“I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. The only way for a mare to have a Alicorn foal is if one of the parents is also an Alicorn, and seeing as both of us clearly have never had an alicorn foal, I'm afraid that I cannot explain the appearance of this one.” explained Princess Celestia

The ponies all gathered around the table. “So, what are we going to do about this one?” Asked Twilight.

They all pondered the question. It needed a caretaker for the time being, and seeing as it was scarcely more than a few 3 or 4 years of age, it was incredibly lucky that it had made it through even part of a Canterlot winter by itself. Applejack was too busy with the farm to take care of it, Rarity and Twilight already had Sweetie Belle and Spike to look after, no one considered Pinkie or Rainbow responsible enough to care for it all the time, not even themselves. And Fluttershy, although finding it adorable, simply did not have enough time to care for it and all her animals.

“That just leaves...” All the ponies looked at the Princesses. Luna exchanged a look with Celestia. There was no reason that they couldn't take care of the foal. Sure, they had to raise the day and night, but almost always, one of them was just lounging around, not taking questions from concerned citizens or attending to royal duties, they explained.

“Which is why Celestia's flanks have grown to the size they are now, that and the new chef, who produces the most WONDE- mmph-.. MMPHH!”

As Luna attempted to deal with the zipper that had appeared around her lips, not an easy task with hooves, Celestia thought of a reason not to take the colt.

As Pinkie and Fluttershy played with the giggling colt, the rest of the mares all awaited on an answer from the princesses. Celestia looked at the young colt. She sighed.

“He will stay in the castle for this winter, until we figure out what to do with him”, Celestia waited for the cheers of the ponies to die down, “He will at least be properly cared for by myself or Luna or at the very least one of our servants at all times here”.

Celestia looked at the giggling young Colt. “He can't be any older than 3, could he?” She thought to herself, “Luna wasn't much older when I first found her”. She smiled to herself. He was ridiculously cute, she had to admit, maybe taking care of him wouldn't be so bad after all.