• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 8,809 Views, 239 Comments

I was just trying to help - Shadowlord



In the semi-finals of the Battle of the Bands Competition Sunset made a mistake and is reminded once again of Canterlot High’s opinion of her. But someone's there to offer help but that someone could lead to trouble!

  • ...
23
 239
 8,809

Chapter 7: last resort.

Rainbow Dash couldn’t believe what just happened, “we lost, we failed!”

Fluttery sighed, “and now the Sirens are going to take over.”

Twilight spoke up, “no, they’re not! We just have to get to the portal, I have…” Twilight began to tear up. “I have an idea.”

Meanwhile, the Sirens began to ground themselves now that the battle was over. Adagio watched their former rivals run, “should we go after them?”

Sunset chuckled, “no, forget them. There’s nothing they can do to stop us now.”

Principal Celestia once again took the stage, “and there you have it! The battle of the bands is over and here is your victorious band; The Dazzlings!”

The crowd gave a loud cheer, Adagio took the microphone. “Thank you, thank you! However, we no longer wish to be called The Dazzlings. In honor of recent events we will now be known as ‘The Sunset Sirens!’ a new title to celebrate our new member!” Adagio looked to Sunset who looked like she might cry from pride. “I want to say I am so grateful to all of you at Canterlot High School, you’ve all give us the courage to follow our dreams, dreams I hope you’ll all help us reach. You see now that we’ve won this competition we wish to take the next step up and broadcast our performance on the internet live!” Adagio and her fellow bandmates all grinned maliciously as the orange haired siren added her next comment. “Across the entire world!”

“That should be the great and powerful Trixie up there!”

“No, the Crusaders got robbed!”

“Whatever!”

As the negative comments flew throughout the crowd the sirens grinned as a large amount of green smoke came to them. Adagio chuckled, “take it in ladies, this is the kind of feast we’ve always dreamed of!”

Sunset smirked. “This is nothing compared to the power we’ll get when we go live across the world!”

The Sunset Sirens all chuckled menacingly.

The Rainbooms all ran as fast as they could back to Canterlot High School, they all stopped at the horse statue which was also the portal back to Equestria.

Fluttershy set Spike down as before speaking. “What do we do now?”

Applejack sighed, “much as ah hate to admit it there ain't much left to do.”

Rainbow Dash stomped her foot forcefully. “No, we can still fight all we need is a plan. Maybe another spell.”

Rarity spoke up. “Darling I think we were performing at our best back there.”

Pinkie Pie nodded in sad agreement. “Hate to say it, and you guys know I always try to look on the bright side of things, but I think there’s nothing left to do.”

Twilight spoke in a soft and hollow voice. “There is one thing.” All eyes were now on Twilight. “After I had found out about the existence of this world I started looking over Starswirl’s old notes and he developed a fail-safe spell in case he ever needed to fix any damage equestrian magic caused in another world.”

Pinkie perked up immediately. “sounds perfect!”

Twilight looked at her reflection in the base of the statue. “If I go back to Equestria I can cast this spell; this will force the sirens back to my world and will drain them of all the magic they’ve gained while here.”

“Whoo-weee,” Applejack cheered. “That’s our Twilight always finding a way to fix things!”

“Delightful!”

“Party!”

“It sounds perfect!”

Fluttershy was the only girl other than Twilight who was not happy “too perfect, Twilight there’s more to this spell isn’t there?”

Twilight shed a tear as she spoke. “When I cast this spell the connections between Equestria and this world will be gone, forever.”

Just like that, the entire atmosphere changed. “You’ll never be able to visit us? Ever again?” Pinkie Pie questioned.

“Never again,” Twilight clarified. “But there’s more. This spell will eliminate all traces of Equestrian magic in this world; all traces and memory.”

Rainbow Dash looked horrified. “All memory?”

Rarity chimed in. “As in ours as well?”

Twilight looked crestfallen. “It will be like Sunset Shimmer never came here. You won’t remember anything to do with her, or magic, (she sobbed) or me.”

The others gasped and Pinkie spoke. “We won’t remember you, or Sunset, or any of our adventures?”

Twilight coughed before clarifying, “no, and you never will.”

Rainbow Dash slammed her fists into the statue. “Buck! It’s all my fault! I’m the one who fought with Sunset. I’m supposed to be loyalty and I put myself before her!”

Pinkie sobbed. “No, it’s my fault for not going to cheer her up!”

Even Applejack shed tears. “No, it’s mah fault for not sticking up for Sunset!”

Rarity’s mascara began to run from her crying. “No, it’s my fault for not agreeing with Fluttershy!”

Fluttershy finally spoke. “No, it’s my fault for not defending my opinion!”

Even Spike had to join in. “No, it’s my fault for putting so much pressure on Twilight!”

“No!” Twilight shouted. “This was my fault. I’m the Princess of Friendship and I let all this happen. Be honest, all of you would’ve gone after Sunset if I told you. I knew the consequences of leaving a friend and I choose to do nothing.” Twilight looked at the statue. “I want you all to know that I am grateful to every one of you, you all stood by me when I needed you and for that I am forever thankful. And though I know you won’t remember me I know I will never forget any of you.”

The six girls and one dog all came together for a group hug which lasted a solid ten minutes before they all finally broke away. Twilight sobbed, “thank you all for the wonderful friendship you gave me and I promise I will never forget one of you!” Twilight took a deep breath before picking up Spike. “Come on Spike, time to go home.”

Spike gave a sad whimper in response. “Hey, Twilight!” Rainbow Dash called. Twilight looked back, “you’re sure this is the only way?” Twilight nodded sadly. “Twilight after you cast your spell Sunset and the sirens will be sent to your world, right?” Once more Twilight nodded. “Twilight if I could have anything in the world right now I’d want to tell Sunset Shimmer I’m sorry.”

Applejack nodded, “me too.”

“We let her down.” Pinkie added.

“We let who she was cloud our vision of who she was becoming.” Fluttershy chimed in.

Rarity sobbed once more. “Sunset deserves far better friends than us.”

“If I ever see Sunset again I’ll tell her.” Twilight promised as she inched closer to the portal.

“Oh, Twilight wait!” Rarity declared digging through her bag. “I, I put this in my bag if you want it.” Rarity held out Sunset’s magic journal. Twilight looked down at the journal and fresh tears began to leak from her eyes. “Well if you don’t want it.”

“No, I should take it” Twilight said taking the book from Rarity and looking at it sadly. “To remember.” Twilight took another deep breath. “Okay, this is it this time,” Twilight out a hand in the portal, “goodbye.”

The feeling of traveling between dimensions was becoming all too familiar to Twilight, after feeling like she was sucked through a long tube she found herself in her library which was empty, her friends must’ve left perhaps for a meal. After making sure Spike was okay Twilight stood on her pony hooves and took a deep breath before facing the magic mirror that provided the portal to the other dimension. Twilight’s horn began to glow and she began to rise even though her alicorn wings were not flapping. Finally, Twilight’s eyes lit up with white light before her horn unleashed a powerful burst of magic into the mirror!

The Sunset Sirens stood once again on Canterlot stadium’s stage as various students moved camera’s and wires around them.

“Ready to go live soon ladies!” One student with glasses announced.

The Sunset Sirens smirked as they prepared their voices.

“In five…four…three…two…” The student counted down however at that exact moment a blinding bright light came out of nowhere and struck the Sunset Sirens.

Adagio was beside herself with anger, “no, not again!”

The light grew brighter and brighter and shunned through the entire city and beyond. Far away, in a dark room in a high school, pictures and diagrams on the walls suddenly vanished and even further away in the Everfree Forest a mysterious cave collapsed. Finally, the light vanished but the Sunset Sirens were gone. The next day all the students were wondering what they were doing at Canterlot Stadium at night but all could remember that their musical showcase generated a lot of money. Several different girl’s pictures were now hanging on the walls marking them as winners of the Fall Formal crown. The students of Canterlot High all did very well in their classes and sports, and five girls were the closest of friends. However, every day whenever any of the students or faculty would look out at the wondercolt statue they couldn’t shake the feeling that something was missing. And the five girls could never get rid of the idea that they owed someone an apology but they could never remember who.

Deep within the Everfree forest, a portal opened and four ponies came spilling out onto the ground.

One of the ponies an earth-pony, with an orange coat and large beehive mane rose from the pile of fallen pony.

“No!” Adagio cursed, “curse that Princess, and we were so close!”

The next pony to speak was a violet earth-pony with pigtails. “Why the Tart have we been turned into ponies?” Aria questioned.

“I can sense our magic is weaker now and with our dimension traveling this must be a side effect!” Adagio explained.

The blue earth-pony spoke next. “I kind of like it, and we finally don’t smell like fish anymore.”

“We still have our pendants!” The yellow unicorn spoke.

“Too right Sunset,” Adagio responded.

“And,” Sunset Shimmer added. “We still have each other.” The others all looked at one another and smiled. At that moment, the four pendants began to glow red, “I think it means ponies are disagreeing nearby. This time instead of spreading bad emotions we’re going to just feed off the disagreements all around Equestria!”

Adagio smiled, “and that way, next time we’re all powerful and take over it will be all their fault!”

Sunset smiled. “Precisely.”

Nearby, two ponies a colt and a mare were sitting around a dim campfire. “Let’s go camping!” The mare said. “I’m a natural outdoors colt!”

“Oh, will you shut up?” The colt responded.

“I’ll shut up when you get us out of here!”

The two went on not noticing the green smoke forming around them and slithering into the bushes where four ponies smiled wickedly and chuckled to each other.

“Twilight!” A happy high pitched squeal was what finally got Twilight to look away from the shattered mirror.

“Girls!” The excited pink earth-pony called, “Twilight’s back!”

Five ponies rushed in and began exchanging happy greetings to Twilight.

Suddenly the cyan Pegasus pony spoke. “Wait, what happened to the mirror?”

“Twilight, are you okay?” The yellow Pegasus inquired.

“Ya look down Sugarcube.”

Twilight had taken a deep breath before she spoke. “We need to get an immediate message to Celestia, Luna, and Cadence. We need to tell them to be on the lookout for four sirens.”

The cyan Pegasus looked confused “wait, four? I thought there were only three sirens.”

Twilight continued “tell them that they should be considered a severe threat and if they’re captured they’re to be brought to me I… I have a message for one of them.” Twilight looked at her friends confused and concerned looks “I’ll tell you girls everything later, but right now I would like to be alone if you don’t mind.”

“What do you want to do with the mirror Twilight?” Spike inquired.

“I want to keep one piece, but I want the rest of it disposed of.” Twilight explained, “now please.”

The five ponies and one dragon took their leave, but the yellow Pegasus stuck her head in the door. “Twilight, in your book there were only three sirens, but now you say there’s a fourth. Who is the new siren Twilight?”

Twilight looked first at her shard of the mirror then to the journal with a fiery sun printed on it. “Someone I shouldn’t have left behind.”

Comments ( 64 )
CSC

Fantastic take on Rainbow Rocks. It's sad, but it's what must be done. Great work!

Well that was sad.

Overall, great story. The spell used to send the sirens back to Equestria is a bit Deus ex Machina, but the emotional value created by it makes up for that. I also see you left a few loose ends; are you planning on a sequel?

A perfect ending to how this story went.

Interesting ending to the story, I didn't see it coming but it fitted well. Just the right balance of happy and sad.

I really liked how this story did something different.

Can't say I'm sure about the name the Sunset Sirens, but ok.

By the way, there's a sentence near the end: 'if they’re captured they’re to be brought to be I'
I think that is perhaps meant to be 'brought to me,' rather than 'brought to be'?

Thanks for writing this, congratulations on finishing it. :yay:

7810795
No, that spell was how I planned to end things from the start. Originally, I was going to end things with Sunset taking the pendant and leaving the reader to make their own choice about the ending but I realized that's bad writing. So first I thought about the sirens losing but that seemed to be a bad idea, kind of undermines the whole story. Then I thought maybe I could have the Rainbooms reform the sirens and Sunset again but again that seemed like it would undermine the story. So I knew I needed the Sirens to win but I also knew I couldn't let the human world fall into their clutches so I decided much like the comic series arc reflections Twilight would have to give up her connection to the human world because of her mistake.

7810795 Not at this time. The loose ends are open to interpretation but to be clear Twilight can never go back to human world and the two worlds have been severed of their connection forever the feeling of loss was just a little something to say that the magic of friendship can never be truly erased.

So Twilight saves one world, but dooms the other. Fitting that she joins the legacy of failures started by Starswirl the foolish. All this has done is delay the inevitable, for Equestria has never faced a foe that can use the most powerful magic of all against them.

Have to admit that the loss of memories didn't sit right with me as it felt just there for dramatic an emotional gut punch to Twilight instead of an actual consequence to the spell. Why would they forget? All Equestrian magic gets taken away, but that shouldn't retroactively remove Sunset (who had no magic till the first movie) and Twilight from their memories, and more importantly, somehow rewrites the past in that world without affecting Equestria's past and also drains the Sirens? The spell is just plain too powerful and Deus Ex Machina-y. Plus, there doesn't seem to be a reason for not being able to make another mirror. Honestly, the memory loss felt like pointless drama and a get out of guilt free card for the mane 5, who arguably ended up better off for treating Sunset like crap. Otherwise, it was a very interesting story and I'm curious to where it will go.

Heh, it's funny that all "the good guys" turn out to be sore loosers when "bad guys" never loose hope and desire to live another day.

7810919
The spell didn't change history just the records of it. The memory loss was to prevent anyone to seek out Equestrian magic also I felt it made the situation even more tragic. And let me be clear about this...

The link between Equestria and the Human world is GONE! For good! It no longer exists!

7810965 Until someone makes a new one, of course.

I hope that there is a sequel because becoming very interesting

7810986 There is no making a new......

Oh, I give up!:ajbemused:

7810989
Only if someone else wants to write it.

7810990 Well the original link had to be established somehow when the mirror was first forged. Which actually brings up an impressive list of questions when you really think about it.

7811011
Links between dimensions are established when the dimensions come into existence the mirror just had the power to access those links.

7811019 So it is possible to create another mirror to tap into that link. Sorry, I play games like World of Warcraft, as such I am quite inquisitive of lore.

7811027
The link was destroyed!

7811031 Personally I find that to be very unlikely in actual lore in the show, but this is your story.

7810965 So the magic didn't change history, just rewrote everyone's memories and redid every bit of physical evidence that anything from Equestria ever happened in that world (including however long the Sirens were there). Honestly, it was so over the top that it went well past the point of tragic, especially since the mane 5 were never torn apart and now don't have to deal with the guilt of how they treated Sunset. The link being permanently shattered, while still feeling a bit silly (how was the mirror made in the first place, how did Starswirl banish the Sirens, and why does the spell shatter the link that existed before the portal, as said portal needs the link to exist in the first place?) works dramatically as a consequence. The memory loss and rewriting of all events and physical evidence doesn't as mechanically it makes no sense (where did the power come from, how does it affect the human world in the first place, why is it part of the spell, how did it manage to affect everyone whose ever made contact with either Sunset and the Sirens, completely rewrite any interactions and effects they had in the world, and redo all physical evidence of their existence while making new and consistent stories for everyone? Rewriting history would be less of a Deus Ex Machina), and it fails dramatically due to the only character who this effects negatively being Twilight, the only one who wasn't an out right jerk to Sunset. To be frank, I think it has a very negative effect on the storyline, being both out of nowhere and only existing as another gut punch to the least guilty character (who felt the most guilty about the situation) while being a get out of jail free card for the rest. Justifying it as stopping people from looking for Equestrian magic is just plain silly as well due to the spell rewriting memories and physical evidence of the Sirens for hundreds of years (and judging by Canterlot High, as though they never existed, which should've had a massive butterfly effect).

Damn! I did not see that coming! A very interesting alternative take on Rainbow Rocks.

7811072 The Sirens only came into the EQG world relatively recently; I know this because in the comic about the sirens they came into the EQG world wearing hoodies and passing street lights, I believe Starswirl not only sent them to another world but into the future.

Strong start, lackluster finish.

Not what I expected, but at least it wasn't the deus ex machina I worried about, not completely at least.
Friendship comes in all forms, appears even in the darkest of places, and can form bonds between even the most twisted people. While the Sirens aren't exactly to that extreme, they aren't your traditional group of friends. I'm glad you took this the direction you did. It made for a very entertaining read.

Great chapter. I really liked how you choose to end the story. While the Sirens we're stopped, their still a threat. Only now their in Equestria.

Any chance of a sequel? Hope so would love to read more.

wait! its complete? pls tell me there will be more :fluttercry:

Such a great ending with so much potential for a sequel. Bravo! :twilightsmile:

7810873 When I said the spell was a bit Deus ex Machina, I meant that there was little build up to it. It's a good way to end the story as it allows The Dazzlings to win and not be able to take over the world, plus it packs a big emotional punch; its just we had no way of knowing it existed until this chapter.

7812830 Don't worry about it! The story was great and the ending wrapped it all up very nicely. And if I'm being honest, I can't think of any way you could have mentioned it beforehand without spoiling the ending. You have nothing to apologize for.

7812868
Thank you, by the way. I'm on Team Mystic too.

There have been lot of OOC characters and out of nowhere allpowerful reality changing spell. Thumb down.

No offense, but I don't think this was the greatest story. It started out fine with Sunset calling out the Rainbooms on their mistrust for her but then she full on betrays them. By the end it seems like the good guys became the bad guys and the bad guys became the good guys, which only shows the Rainbooms were correct to not trust Sunset.

7926277 That's the idea.

This is a wonderful 'what if', shall I say. Quite believable too, for the most part.:twilightsmile:

My only complaint is about the grammar: you really have to work on the punctuation, it's wrong all over the place.
A pity, because if it wasn't for this severe fault, this fiction would be well-written.

Personally, I would also shorten some of the dialogues. But that's a matter of style.

7960784 Well, I've done some editing.

this should really have a part 2
the ending is just bitter.

8420910
Why does everyone hate my ending? What was everyone expecting? My conclusion was to show that anyone can wield the magic of friendship, that even heroes make mistakes, and not every story has a happy ending.

8497037
Pffft
It's good. It's a really good story. I guess I just like happy endings for my faverite characterso is all haha.
Though the ending does leave it open for another one. Like what does Celestia do when the sirens come back?
Do the sirens go back to thier evil ways and drag sunset into it or do they change?

8497122
That's all up to you my reader.

Just finished reading this - I loved the premise. It's a fantastic idea, and the story itself was both entertaining and interesting.

However - and I know it's been a while since you wrote this - it desperately needs an editor. The idea and the story were good enough that I could mentally substitute in better grammar, but it really detracted from the story overall.

I very much enjoyed this, though. It's not a take on Sunshim and the Dazzlings that I have come across before, and it was an excellent, imaginative offering.

I look forward to any future stories relating to this universe.

Yay sunsets a sirean now!

This ending feels like a cliffhanger for an upcoming sequel. Will there be a sequel to this?

Legit one of the best stories I've read on this site. I absolutely loved it!

8879803
Finally, someone who's not whining about the ending!

Is there a sequel? Because while the story was pretty good, the ending felt abrupt and flat, and a lot like it was sequel bait.

Very interesting spin on Rainbow Rocks
I like it because we all know life isn't all rainbows and cupcakes

So many grammatical errors throughout this... but I loved the premise. An abrupt ending but, still very enjoyable. I'd love to see what a sequel is like.

Login or register to comment