• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 8,815 Views, 239 Comments

I was just trying to help - Shadowlord



In the semi-finals of the Battle of the Bands Competition Sunset made a mistake and is reminded once again of Canterlot High’s opinion of her. But someone's there to offer help but that someone could lead to trouble!

  • ...
23
 239
 8,815

Chapter 6: The Battle of the Bands!

The sunlight began to vanish as Canterlot stadium began to fill with people piling into every corner they could. From backstage, a certain blue haired young lady was peeking out, “wow, there must be at least a thousand people out there!”

Adagio chuckled as Aria pulled Sonata back to the group, “the unsuspecting fools!”

Sunset Shimmer was nervously fiddling with her guitar, “any signs of Twi… I mean the Rainbooms?”

Sonata shook her head, “not yet.”

Suddenly Principal Celestia came on stage, “attention everyone due to a disqualification the Rainbooms will not be competing tonight. Instead our first runner up band will compete against the Dazzlings. Will Trixie and the Illusions please come on stage?”

Aria chuckled, “looks like the so-called hero's wised up and ran away!”

Sunset put down her guitar, “no, those girls don’t give up, if they’re not showing up it’s because it’s part of some plan!”

Adagio smirked she and her bandmates dressed for their performance, “my thoughts exactly. Don’t count a victory yet Aria, remember we thought we’d seen the last of Starswirl when we took that stage in Canterlot.”

Sonata tried to be helpful, “watch out for mirrors!”

Suddenly a new voice chuckled, “no kidding because with faces like those they’d all probably break!”

There stood Trixie and her two sidekicks already dressed for their performance, “the Rainbrooms wised up and told us to compete tonight, as it should’ve been!”

Adagio’s curiosity was peeked, “did they now? Well, wasn't that nice of them.” Adagio cast a knowing look to her fellow sirens.

“And it appears victory will be far easier than the great and powerful Trixie imagined!” Trixie exclaimed pointing to Sunset Shimmer. “After all, no one’s going to want to hear you play if you’re bringing the she-demon on stage!”

Sunset seemed to shrink until Aria spoke for her, “what did you just call her?”

“A she-demon!” Trixie repeated, “the moment she goes out on stage the entire school will boo all of you!”

“Not with her playing guitar!” Sonata chirped her voice dripping with childlike innocence making Sunset blush slightly.


Trixie cackled her lackeys soon following her lead, Trixie stepped forward staring down Sunset like a hawk to a mouse. “She’ll be your poison just like she was all of Canterlot High!”

Adagio put herself between Sunset and Trixie. “That’s enough why don’t you go pick on someone your size?”

Trixie merely grinned and signaled her the other two to follow her. “True, why should I be wasting my time; the great and powerful Trixie has a band competition to win!”

After Trixie’s band began to play on stage Sunset found her voice again, “thanks.”

Adagio put her hand on Sunset’s shoulder, “our pleasure.”

Aria looked out to Trixie’s band, “first thing on my list when we take over will be to throw those girls off the nearest cliff!”

The other three chuckled and Adagio picked up Sunset’s guitar, “now just be ready to get out there and prove her wrong!” Sunset took a big breath and nodded.

Meanwhile, as the sirens plotted and Trixie’s band played, high atop a nearby hill several teens positioned themselves for a musical battle.

Rainbow Dash looked to Twilight, “are you sure dropping out of the competition was a good idea?”

Twilight looked down the hill at the stadium, “yes, this way we can play our music as the sirens play their own. If nothing else it will give us the element of surprise.”

The other Rainbooms nodded in agreement, at that moment a blue haired girl with sunglasses pulled up in her car but with the press of a button it transformed into an impressive and stylish music broadcasting system.

Fluttershy leaned into Rarity and whispered, “we are lucky she’s not under the siren's spell!”

Spike heard the comment and added, “never takes off her headphones!”

The girl gave a thumbs-up as the Rainbooms prepared for musical war. Twilight gave last minute instructions as she plugged in her microphone. “Remember don’t start playing until their pendants start to glow, that’s when they’ll least expect it!”

The Rainbooms nodded and Pinkie made a comment as she took to her drums. “don’t fire until you see the glow of their pendants!”

“Ya better believe
I got tricks up my sleeve
See me dominate
'Cause I'm powerful and grea-ea-eat!”

As Trixie’s band finished their performance fireworks lit up the sky, and the audience cheered. Trixie was looking smug as she and her lackeys walked passed the Dazzlings. “try to top that!”

Adagio pretended to be worried, “Oh gosh, I don’t know if we can!” Adagio looked to the other three and they all chuckled. “Ready to rock Sunset?”

Sunset gulped nervously, “I think so.”

Sunset slowly walked out on stage and as she did the crowd made noises of outburst!

“What’s she doing up there!”

“She wasn’t even in a band!”

“Go home, she-demon!”

Sunset looked ready to run until she looked over and saw the sirens giving her looks and gestures of encouragement. Sunset had taken a deep breath before she began playing slowly. At first Sunset’s playing was barely making a dent over the crowd but soon the crowd began to quiet down and Sunset started to regain her confidence. Sunset grinned before she started to shred and the crowd’s comments stopped completely. As Sunset played from backstage Adagio grinned at Trixie who was watching unbelievingly. Adagio smirked, “will you take anything else to eat with your words Trixie?”

Sunset’s performance ended and the crowd burst into applause including the Rainbooms.

Rainbow looked to Twilight, “She is good.”

Twilight was clapping loudest, “she’s amazing!”

Fluttershy sighed, “too bad we never gave her a chance.”

And just like that the Rainbooms stopped applauding and Twilight spoke up, “we can’t worry about that now.”

At that moment, the stadium lights dimmed and eerie music began to play. Twilight watched as Sunset put down her guitar and a moment later the other three sirens came on stage and the four began to vocalize.

“Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah
Ah-ha, ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah”

“Welcome to the show.”
“We're here to let you know.”

The four girls were singing in perfect harmony with each other as they slowly began to rise.

“Our time is now.”

“Your time is running out!”

“Feel the wave of sound
As it crashes down
You can't turn away
We'll make you wanna sta-a-a-ay.
We will be adored
Tell us that you want us
We won't be ignored.
It's time for our reward
Now you need us
Come and heed us
Nothing can stop us now!”

As the girls continued to sing their hair grew into long ponytails and they each grew translucent wings or at least three out of four did.

Sunset looked to Adagio and whispered, “why isn’t working on me?”

Adagio was looking a little grim, “the only reason it wouldn’t is if you don’t want it to and if you don’t want it to the only reason would be a part of you wants to go back to the Rainbooms!”

Sunset looked brokenhearted before she spoke, “I’m sorry.”

At that moment, a new chorus broke over the music.

“Oh-oh, oh-whoa-oh
I've got the music in me
Oh-oh, oh-whoa-oh.”

Adagio looked ready to burst before she turned to Sunset, “we’ll talk about this later right now we have a pest problem to deal with!”

“Don't need to hear a crowd
Cheering out my name
I didn't come here seeking
Infamy or fame.”

The crowd began to look over at the Rainbooms and gasped as they began to regain control over themselves.

“The one and only thing
That I am here to bring
Is music, is the music
Is the music in my soul
Gonna break out (Out!)
Set myself free, yeah
Let it all go (Go!)
Just let it be, yeah
Find the music in your heart
Let the music make you start
To set yourself apart.”

As the Rainbooms played they began to grow pony ears and tails and in some cases wings, Adagio smirked. “So the Rainbooms want to turn this into a real battle of the bands? Then let’s battle!”

“What we have in store (ah-ah)
All we want and more (ah-ah)
We will break on through (ah-ah)
Now it's time to finish you!”

The three sirens pendants began to glow and their eyes became crimson red and instantly the three sirens projected three astral projections of their siren forms!

The Rainbooms looked worried but each gave a look of reassurance to another.

“Gonna break out (Out!)
Set myself free, yeah
Let it all go (Go!)
Just let it be, yeah
Find the music in your heart
Let the music make you start
To set yourself apart.”

As the Rainbooms continued a large projection of an alicorn came forward which easily dwarfed the siren’s projections. The Alicorn let loose a mighty wave of sound and instantly the sirens projections were no more.

The three sirens began to string but their once beautiful voices were hoarse.

“We will be adored
Tell us that you want us
We won't be ignored
It's time for our reward...”

The crowd booed and threw things, the sirens were ready to run until Sunset Shimmer looked to them. “No! this is not how this ends!”

Adagio spoke hoarsely, “Sunset we need to leave, I can sense a weakness in our pendants, if we leave now we may be able to fight another day.”

Sunset stamped her boot, “no, we are not done yet!” Sunset pointed to Adagio. “She said that you two were like sisters to her!”

Aria and Sonata looked to Adagio amazed, “you did?”

Adagio looked ready to kill, “you are so dead!”

Sunset looked to Adagio, “you said Aria challenging your leadership kept you on your toes and you said Sonata helps you think up some of your best ideas.”

Aria was amazed, “did you say that?”

Adagio blushed slightly, “well, yes I did.”

Sonata wrapped her arms around Adagio, “that’s so sweet we love you too!”


Sunset nodded, “and that’s what we need. You guys fight all the time but I think deep down you guys all care about each other.”

Aria looked to her fellow sirens, “you guys may be the worst sometimes but the truth is there are no two sirens I’d rather be with.”

Adagio grinned, “I feel the same way.”

Sonata nodded, “totally!”

Sunset smiled, “don’t you see? That’s exactly what we need, you guys have always had one goal sing and gather negative energy but have you ever tried forgetting about the energy and just singing for each other?”

Adagio looked to Sunset, “each other?”

“You guys care about each other, sing for that reason not for yourselves. Sing to feed, protect, and help one another!” Sunset took a microphone.

“You're never gonna bring me down
You're never gonna break this part of me
My friends are here to bring me 'round
Not singing just for popularity!”

Adagio rose from the ground and began to harmonize with Sunset.

“We're here to let you know
That we won't let it go.”

At that moment, the other two joined in the song. At first their voice was hoarse and off key but with each note they grew stronger and stronger.

“Our music is a bomb and it's about to blow!”

Rainbow Dash looked worried. “We've got to stop them now!”

Rainbow Dash fired off a powerful cord but Aria Blaze stepped forward. “You’re not going to hurt my friends!” Aria somehow created a blue force field.

“Not on my watch!” Pinkie Pie declared hitting a powerful note on her drums.

Aria’s shield began to weaken until Sonata Dusk came to her aide. “Like, so not happening.” Sonata than somehow created a pink force field which reinforced Aria’s shield.

Applejack decided to join the fray as she hit a note on her base. “we’re losing our edge here!” Applejack declared as Rarity and Fluttershy began to play as well.

This time Adagio came forward, “you’re not going to lay one finger on my… my…”

Sonata grinned, “say it!”

Adagio looked like it pained her to say it but she got the word out. “Sisters, you’re not going to lay one finger on my sisters!” Adagio’s light was crimson red and reinforced the shield further.

Finally, Twilight had enough and the Alicorn let loose a powerful blast. However, when the smoke cleared Sunset and the sirens were holding hands, their shield had held. Sunset and Adagio began to sing in harmony.

“And you can try to fight
But we have got the light of..”

At this point. Sonata and Aria joined in.

“Friendship on our side!
Got the music in our hearts
We're here to blow this thing apart
And together, we will never
Be afraid of the dark
Here to sing our song out loud
Get you dancing with the crowd
As the music of our friendship
Survives, survives!”

At this point the all once again sprouted translucent wings and long ponytails from their hair, this time Sunset included.

“Got the music in our hearts
We're here to blow this thing apart
And together, we will never
Be afraid of the dark
Here to sing our song out loud
Get you dancing with the crowd
As the music of our friendship
Survives, survives, survives!”

Just then four powerful beams of blue, pink, red, and orange shot into the sky and a giant siren projection which dwarfed the alicorn appeared. With one mighty musical blast, the siren destroyed the alicorn and the Rainbooms lay down, defeated.

Sunset chuckled before speaking into the microphone. “Guess we know who was right Twilight, tonight the light of friendship was on our side! Now if you’re all through interrupting we have the world to conquer!”

Twilight rose slowly “no, there’s still one thing left to do, one thing that will stop the sirens, quick girls to the portal!”