• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 8,806 Views, 239 Comments

I was just trying to help - Shadowlord



In the semi-finals of the Battle of the Bands Competition Sunset made a mistake and is reminded once again of Canterlot High’s opinion of her. But someone's there to offer help but that someone could lead to trouble!

  • ...
23
 239
 8,806

Chapter 5: Wanted

One could feel the tension between the two bands as the Dazzlings and Rainbooms looked at each other as though they were opposite nations ready to proclaim war. Aria and Sonata went to either side of Adagio while Sunset Shimmer seemed to shrink behind them.

“Well, look girls it’s the school hero’s,” Adagio proclaimed dramatically. “How terrifying!” she proclaimed as she gripped both Sonata and Aria pretending to huddle together in fear. “Oh no!” the three said in unison pretending to shake in terror. “Well, girls,” Adagio continued in a fake tone of sadness, “we tried, and we came very close, but now’s the time to meet our fate!”

“Shut up!” Rainbow Dash yelled angrily.

Aria decided some mocking was in order, “ oh, someone’s grumpy!”

“Maybe she needs a nap!” Sonata proclaimed thinking she had just said some very clever insult.

Adagio rolled her eyes before speaking again, “oh leave her alone Aria she’s just mad because Canterlot High School’s big strong hero’s needed our help to get to the finals!”

“Why don’t you just go to…” Rainbow began.

“Rainbow, calm down.” Twilight said as Applejack held Rainbow back from charging the Dazzlings. “Sunset?” Twilight questioned as Sunset Shimmer gave a nervous gulp before stepping out of hiding.

Sunset spoke extremely nervously, “hi.”

“Traitor!” Rainbow Dash repeated as Applejack covered her rainbow haired friend’s mouth.

Sunset almost ran behind the stage but Adagio grabbed her, “no,” she whispered. “This will be good for you Sunset. You’ll have to face them sooner or later and better now than during the concert tonight.”

“I don’t know,” Sunset stammered.

“Sunset do you regret your choice?” Adagio questioned.

Even with the Rainbooms only a small distance away Sunset Shimmer only had to pause for a moment, “no,” she answered.

“And that’s why you need to do this, you need to bury your past.” Adagio proclaimed. “Not only that but it looks like you’re afraid of these girls, afraid of what they might think of you and if you’re not willing to come to grips with that you might as well put that guitar down because there’s no way you’ll be able to get on stage tonight.”

Sunset sighed “you’re right, it’s just seeing them brought it all back. The Fall Formal, the crown, my transformation, and being so close only to lose it all. I mean what’s stopping that from happening again?”

“This time you have us.” Adagio said simply. “Sunset do you know why I’m letting you play guitar tonight?”

“Because you are my friend,” Sunset answered.

“That’s right,” Adagio proclaimed and before she could stop her Sunset forced her into a hug.

Adagio gave an awkward cough before Sunset let go, “okay, I’m ready to talk to them.”

“Excellent,” Adagio replied as the two returned to the end of the stage where Aria and Sonata had been watching the exchange.

“You’re going soft Adagio,” Aria whispered.

“Shut up!” Adagio replied.

Sunset stood at the edge of the stage and coughed nervously, “hi.”

“Sunset darling” Rarity spoke up, “please say this is some joke.”

Pinkie decided to speak up, “if it is it’s not funny.”

“I have to agree with Pinkie Pie,” Fluttershy whispered.

“Traitor!” Rainbow Dash remarked for the third time.

“Will you shut up!” Applejack shouted.

“Look at her neck!” Rainbow countered.

Sunset could feel all eyes on her pendant. “That’s right she’s one of us now!” Aria declared, but Adagio put her hand on her fellow siren’s arm.
“We do not speak unless she needs us, this is something Sunset needs to do on her own as much as she can,” Adagio lamented.

“Sunset,” Twilight spoke. “I know you were upset after the semi-finals but…”

“Upset, upset? Tart yeah I was upset Twilight. You were the one who said it would be dangerous if the sirens saw your magic and yet when I try and stop certain big-headed athletes….”

“Excuse me!” Rainbow Dash demanded, “what did you just call me?”

“I believe I just called you 'a big headed athlete' Rainbow Dash and you don’t know how long I’ve waited to say that! And while we’re on the subject there are a few other things I’d like to get off my chest!” Sunset grabbed her guitar and started shredding for a minute before continuing “you’re not the only one who can play guitar!”

“Well I’m the only one with any…” once again Applejack had to restrain Rainbow Dash.

“Sunset” Twilight went on “let's talk about this.”

“Fine, let's talk Twilight but first one more thing.” Sunset turned to Rainbow “would it kill you to take a shower after gym class?” behind Sunset the sirens giggled. “Now let’s talk Twilight.”

Twilight took a deep breath “Sunset you’re making….”

“Stop right there Twilight,” Sunset warned, “I know what you were going to say believe me, you were going to say 'Sunset you’re making a mistake, you don’t understand what you’re doing' am I wrong?”

Twilight spoke, “how did you know?...”

Sunset sighed “because I heard it before Twilight, a long time ago…”

“Celestia,” Twilight said.

“Exactly. How did you get it?” Sunset asked.

“Get what?” Twilight responded.

“The book, her book!”

“Sunset I was making a new library and Celestia…”

“Just gave it to you? Just like that? The one thing she had of our time together and she just throws it away!” Sunset yelled.

“Sunset, Celestia knew that you would need me that’s why she let me have it. Sunset I know you’re mad, I’ve been mad at my friends too but…”

“Stop right there Twilight!” Sunset barked. “First off those girls are not my friends they’re your friends, my friends are over there!” Sunset pointed and the sirens waved.

“Sunset I don’t know what lies those girls are telling you but…”

“They are not lies Twilight!” Sunset pointed to the mane five, "ask them for yourself!" Sunset demanded. “What have they done for me? Let me sit at their little table and let me hang out with them at their band practice, and that’s another thing!” Sunset played several notes on her guitar, “in all that time they spent on their band did they ever ask me if I wanted to sing or play an instrument?” Twilight looked to the others as if waiting for one of them to step up and correct Sunset, no one spoke. “Ever since the Fall Formal I have been doing everything to show people I’ve changed; ask Rainbow Dash who does the athletes laundry after every game, ask Applejack who helped her grandmother cook for the school, and ask Fluttershy who took the fall when vice-principal Luna found pets on school grounds? I was the one who contacted you Twilight, when we thought the portal was closed I found a way and I didn’t even get a thank you!” Sunset looked at the girls “one question, one personal question, in all the time we’ve spent together not one of you ever asked me one personal question!”

“Sunset after the Fall Formal everyone else turned against you but these girls accepted you,” Twilight pointed out.

“Because of you!” Sunset responded, “they 'accepted me' because of you not because they thought I’d changed and ask them if when they were 'helping' me the former queen bee of the school they never looked at me and thought; how the mighty have fallen.” All five of the girls said nothing but each looked a little guilty.

“Sunset you obviously feel like you’re all alone in the world but I know how that…” Once again she was cut off this time by Sunset laughing a humorless laugh.

“You don’t know anything about being alone Twilight, I heard about you when I was Celestia’s student. Everyday Cadenza would drone on and on about her favorite filly in the world Twilight Sparkle the magical prodigy with the big strong brother. I saw the way Celestia was listening to Cadenza Twilight I saw that look in her eye and I knew long before I found out about the mirror that she was looking to replace me! You’ve always been wanted and loved Twilight, you got to learn magic in your nice warm house. My parents didn’t want me Twilight I had to learn magic as a way to survive. And then Celestia took me in and I was never happier so I worked endlessly trying to make her proud but you know how that turned out! Then after our little battle at the Fall Formal, I worked myself to death trying to make you proud!”

“Me?” Twilight questioned.

“Me?” Sunset repeated “yes you, the girl who showed me I didn’t have to be alone, the girl who showed me that the ability to trust others was a strength not a weakness. Every day since the fall formal I wanted to quit to run away maybe to Equestria maybe not but every day I thought 'I have to make Twilight proud' every single day. Then I tried to help you and the others. I tried to keep the sirens from seeing your magic and when everyone else scolded me for it what did you do? Nothing,” Sunset shouted the last word and took a few deep breaths.

“Sunset I was proud of you from the moment I helped you out of that crater, I was proud you were giving friendship a chance, proud of who I thought you were becoming, and most of all I was proud you were able to face the world. Sunset this is my fault, I never told you how proud I was of you and when you were hurt… Sunset not so long ago I had to pick between allowing a terrible monster to become infinitely more powerful and the safety of my friends. I chose my friends and even though it all worked out eventually I always wondered what if it hadn’t. You were hurting Sunset and I did nothing to help you, I’m sorry.”

Sunset seemed to calm down for a moment, she looked upon Twilight and the others and her eye shed a single tear before she cast the tear aside and regained a more forceful stance. “I don’t want your apology Twilight. All I ever wanted from any of you was for you to accept me so I changed myself to get that acceptance because I thought 'maybe finally I have a place where I belong' but I never got it.”

“I’m sorry Sunset, but if you could just…” Twilight began.

“No Twilight, this isn’t one of those times where we talk and then I throw off my pendant and cry in your arms,” Sunset announced. “I told you I didn’t need your apology Twilight because I should be thanking you!”

“Thanking me?” Twilight questioned.

“Twilight all my life I was alone then you showed me the power of friendship and I wanted to experience it for myself I thought I was experiencing it but then you abandoned me.” Sunset spoke.

“Sunset,” Fluttershy spoke up, “we’re sorry.”

“No,” Sunset announced. “I’m glad you abandoned me because at that moment I was able to realize we’ve never been friends and we never will be! I realized I never even really had a friend,” at that moment Sunset’s siren pendant began to glow, “until now,” she finished. Sunset Shimmer looked upon the sirens “they came to me because they wanted me as I am not as I might be. Twilight you taught me that friendship is magical but now I realize you no longer have anything to teach me.” Sunset ran to her backpack and pulled out her magic journal she heisted only for a moment before throwing the journal at Twilight’s feet. “Take this,” she said. “I don’t need you or Celestia anymore,” Sunset walked toward the sirens who gathered around her as all four pendants began to shimmer, “all I need is my friends. I’m done Twilight; with you, Celestia, and all of Canterlot High School. Tonight at the battle of the band's finals your friends will battle mine, we both believe the light of friendship is on our side but tonight we’ll see who's right. All I can say is good luck Twilight, you’ll need it.”

After Sunset and the other sirens went backstage Applejack finally let go of Rainbow Dash. “Ya do realize this is your fault right Rainbow?”

“Me?” Rainbow questioned, “Sunset’s the one who betrayed us.”

“And it’s your fault they got to her!” Applejack countered.

“Well if Twilight could just finish the stupid counter spell we wouldn’t be in this mess and besides if it weren’t for my band we wouldn’t even have a way to fight them” Rainbow added smugly.

“Our band!” the other girls loudly corrected.

Soon everyone was arguing with each other.

“I had the most gorgeous outfits for us to wear!”

“Again with the costumes, no one cares what we’re wearing!”

“I’m the one who writes all the songs!”

“I write songs you just never let us play any of them!”

“I care Applejack, so sorry if I enjoy making a contribution to the band!”

“Hey, anyone here remember fun? I’ll give you a hint, it’s the exact opposite of being in the Rainbooms!”

“I wish I never asked any of you to join my band!”

“I wish I never agreed to it!”

“Me neither!”

The girls continued to fight unaware of the cloud of green smoke forming around them and traveling backstage.

“It feels good doesn’t?” Adagio questioned of Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset felt like she was slowly getting stronger as she drew in the energy around her, “it does,” she responded.

“Tonight we get back the power we were robbed of long ago,” Adagio announced. “When I first sensed the equestrian magic in this world I never dreamed going after it would make us stronger than we’ve ever been or that we the sirens were incomplete.” Sunset smiled, “tonight we achieve our destiny!”

“Stop!” Twilight shouted “you have to stop, it doesn’t matter who did what. All this time I’ve been letting you put your faith in me but I forgot I’m nothing without my friends! All this time all this tension was right under my nose and I didn’t realize it until now. I let Sunset’s tension get past me and now she’s…” Twilight stopped. “I thought that little things didn’t matter that friendship could survive it, now I realize that if you’re afraid to talk about your true feelings with your friends those little things can grow and the magic of friendship can turn into something else. When you all helped me to become Princess of the Fall Formal you didn’t know how important it was but you helped me as friends. This whole time we’ve been letting this band competition weigh on us because we know what’s at stake. We’ve been trying to be hero’s but we didn’t stop Sunset Shimmer as hero’s we did it as friends. Long ago Sunset Shimmer used little things to pull you apart but once you found out the truth you reunited that had nothing to do with any magic. I’m the reason magic came into this world and I’m the reason you’re all in danger and for that I am truly sorry. But now I have to ask you to believe in each other and the bond that we share, a bond created by Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter, Kindness, and Generosity!”

“Twilight’s right” Rainbow Dash declared “let's get our band back together and show those sirens what friendship can do!” Rainbow Dash paused and put her hand out in front of her “and I know just the song we can use, Fluttershy’s written a really good one!”

Fluttershy squealed and put her hand on Rainbow’s, “yay”

“Let’s bring the fun back to Canterlot High!” Pinkie added putting her hand on Fluttershy’s.

“If we’re gonna save the world I say we do it in style, do you have any ideas Rarity?” Applejack questioned before adding her hand.

“I thought you’d never ask!” Rarity cheered putting her hand in the circle. Everyone looked to Twilight who smiled before adding her hand and completing the circle and as she did a wave of power came over the girls and though there were no transformations they knew they now had the power to face anything if they did it together.

“Well this is an unexpected event,” Aria told Adagio as she, Sonata, and Sunset looked upon their adversaries.

“We got what we needed from the Rainbooms, let them fight it’ll make it that much more crushing when we defeat them,” Adagio grinned.

“Tonight Twilight Sparkle I will show you and everyone else how powerful my new friends and I are!” Sunset stated to herself with a smile.