• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 8,815 Views, 239 Comments

I was just trying to help - Shadowlord



In the semi-finals of the Battle of the Bands Competition Sunset made a mistake and is reminded once again of Canterlot High’s opinion of her. But someone's there to offer help but that someone could lead to trouble!

  • ...
23
 239
 8,815

Chapter 4: Guitar solo

“Adagio are you nuts?” Aria questioned. The Dazzlings had taken their newest member into the city so she could have an outfit made for the battle of the band's finals. Currently, the three sirens were in the waiting room of a popular tailor shop while Sunset was being fitted by the tailors’ assistant, a young girl named Suri. “It was bad enough having to find enough emotion to feed three of us but with four…” Aria began.

“After we win the battle of the bands we’ll be able to feed a hundred sirens,” Adagio countered.

“She is one of them!” Aria repeated.

“Not anymore, and she wasn’t always,” Adagio responded getting to her feet. “At one time she ruled Canterlot High with an iron fist and then she brought Equestrian magic into this world! But the Rainbooms stopped her, don’t you see? She’s just like us; she’s not satisfied just surviving she wants more, and that’s exactly how we felt when we left the other sirens!”

Aria frowned, and Sonata looked down at her shoes, “she’s not a siren,” Aria finally spoke.

“Who cares?” demanded Adagio, “she is just like us, she’s chosen us, not only has she seen the power the Rainbooms can create she’s experienced it first hand and even so, she chose us over them!”

“If this doesn’t work…” Aria began.

“We’ll have one more mouth to feed, and you have my every permission to say, 'I told you so' as much as you want!” Adagio declared. “She is one of us now, and that is the end of the story, she put on the pendant and now we couldn’t break our link to her without damaging our magic!”

“And what if that’s the plan?” demanded Aria. “To get us to link to her so she can damage our magic from the inside?”

“You didn’t see her when she reached for her pendant,” responded Adagio. “She looked the same way I did when I saw that beacon of magic, you can never fake that look!”

“If this blows up in our faces it will be your fault!” Aria declared.

“And I will take full responsibility if that happens but I think… no, I know it won’t!” Adagio declared.

Aria could finally see Adagio was sure of her decision, “fine,” she finally said. “But if this goes wrong you are going to do my laundry and dish duty the rest of eternity!”

Adagio grinned knowing she had won the battle “it’s a deal.”

“Maybe it’ll be fun to have a new sister,” Sonata happily suggested.

“I guess anyone’s better than you, I mean you are the worst!” Aria said with a grin.

“Am not!” Sonata argued.

“Are too!”

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

“Will you two knock it off?” Adagio shouted looking ready to tear her hair out, “in the name of Tartarus, am I your leader or your mother?”

“Now kids.” A voice from behind belonging to Sunset spoke, she was wearing an outfit very similar to the one she wore as a she-demon and talking in a masculine voice. “If you keep making mommy mad you’ll have no desert tonight.”

Adagio giggled, “finally someone with a brain joins the group.”

“Well she’s got a sense of humor,” Aria remarked, “I’ll give her that.”

“You know,” Sunset spoke softly, “I know you’re mostly about singing, but I do play guitar.”

All three Dazzlings looked at Sunset for a moment, and she thought they were about to laugh her off. “Hmm” Adagio finally said, “that’s interesting.” For a moment Sunset thought Adagio was just humoring her until she added. “I know I could never get the hang of one of those things.”

Aria looked shocked and pretended to grab her chest as though she had a heart attack “Whoa, Adagio Dazzle is admitting someone can do something better than her! Somebody call the newspaper!”

Sonata made and excited noise “oh boy she can play guitar, I love the guitar, I can’t wait to hear Sunset play the guitar, only one thing what’s a guitar?”

“Ignore her” Adagio commented. “Now, I don’t know if we can work a guitar into our actual performance tonight given the limited time and the required hand movements but maybe before we all sing you could warm up the crowd with a guitar solo.”

“Really?” Sunset questioned eagerly.

“Well, we’ll throw it on the wall at practice and see if it sticks, speaking of which I think it’s about time we get to practice,” Adagio announced.
The Sirens and Sunset Shimmer walked to the stadium where the finals of the Battle of the Bands were to take place. “Hmmmm…” Adagio surveyed the surroundings “it’s no Canterlot stadium, but I suppose it’ll do.”

“I think it’s nice,” Sunset remarked.

“Well I suppose it does have a certain rustic charm, but it doesn’t matter,” Adagio told her fellow bandmates “after tonight we’ll be able to perform wherever we want.”

“Like Pluto?” Sonata inquired, “I’ve always wanted to go there!”

Adagio took charge, “now then onto more important matters let’s hear you play Sunset.”

Sunset gave a nervous gulp as she grabbed a spare guitar from the stage and plugged it into an amp, “hey,” Aria whispered. “If you can impress Adagio I will officially owe you big time.”

Sunset smiled as Aria took her seat. Sunset took a deep breath and looked out to her new friends. Sunset thought to herself as she took a breath, “friends.” Could Sunset truly call them friends yet? She’d only just met them and to say their relationship got off to a rough start was a vast understatement, and yet she couldn’t help but feel a certain bond to them already a bond that went beyond any magical binding created by the pendants. Adagio took a very big risk in trusting her however she said she saw similarities between them and though she would’ve denied it before she was now proud of the fact that she shared similarities with her new friends. Also, she was proud of the fact that these friends accepted her for all her traits, even the dark ones.

Finally, Sunset took her last deep breath before she began to play scales, moving into a rock tune, and finally, she started to shred. Sunset could feel herself getting lost in the music! When she finally stopped, she heard thunderous applause.

“That was great!” Aria proclaimed.

“I loved listening Sunset play that stringy thing but when’s she gonna play the guitar?” Sonata inquired.

Aria slapped herself as Adagio rose from her seat “very nice Sunset it’s been a long time since music like that has moved me.” Sunset felt herself blush slightly. “However,” Adagio added in a grimmer tone. “As I said I don’t think we can work the guitar into our performance,” Sunset felt her face fall, “however, I think a guitar solo to warm up the crowd is definitely in order.”

Sunset took a nervous gulp, “something wrong?” Adagio inquired.

“I’m just worried about what everyone’s gonna say about me on stage,” Sunset admitted.

Adagio walked on stage and put an arm around Sunset, “now you listen; it won’t matter if they protest as you start the main thing is that they’ll be cheering by the end.”

“You think so?” Sunset inquired.

“With what I just heard I know it,” Adagio promised. “I can see it now as you finish you your last note there’s only one word to describe you…”

“Traitor!” Proclaimed a new voice.

The Dazzling’s and Sunset Shimmer looked to the stadium entrance, and there stood six familiar teens.

Sunset took another nervous gulp, Sonata and Aria joined their comrades on stage, and Adagio smiled, “well, look who it is.”