• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 2,212 Views, 113 Comments

AtDD II: Cross Dimension Road Trip - StrawberryGamer



Sunshine's adventure continues as she's left to wander through multiple dimensions, trying to figure out a way home. However, that doesn't mean she can't have fun with it.

  • ...
6
 113
 2,212

So You Wanna be a Superhero

Two days earlier...

Owwww…

I think I’m getting a feeling of deja vu. Let’s see… Lying on grass? Check. In pain? Check; I must have been hurt by something else, because there’s no way getting hit by the Elements of Harmony should hurt this much. Someone is trying to kick me awake? OW! Fucking checkmate.

“Sunny, get up!” I heard my assailant say. The voice was clearly Ceruline. She must have gotten hit by the magical Skittle beam too.

I growled quietly. “It wasn’t pleasant before, and it isn’t now. I will get up when I’m damn good and ready.”

“Well fine, little miss grumpy flank. I’ll just have to carry you then.” And there’s another check. Right, enough of this bullshit.

I stood up slowly, stretching like a cat. “Alright, where’d we end up this time?” I asked. Getting a quick look around, we were in a large grassy meadow. A nice flat open area, probably great for a picnic.

“Approximately 300 meters southeast of Ponyville.” A second familiar voice said from my right. Charcoal was here too. “I took the liberty of doing some scouting of the area, since our other little friend is absent, as well as the rest of our party. I didn’t find any of them.”

Other little fr-oh right, Lemon. “I guess the coward ran off. Ah well, Starry and Vinyl will catch up eventually. For now, let’s take a look around. Maybe there’s some fun to be had here.” I looked down, noticing the visor Spectra gave me. I dunno if it would still work, but it looked stylish as fuck, so I put it back on. Much better.

Charcoal and Ceru glanced at each other. “You seem to be taking all this in stride. Are you okay? Really?”

My mood faltered and I sighed. “You want the truth? I’ve broken down a couple times already. The change from a relatively peaceful life to always having to look over my shoulder, not to mention a species and sex change, has really worn me down. It doesn’t help that I wasn’t right in the head to begin with.”

“So, what are you going to do about it?” Ceru asked, “I mean, how are you going to deal with this? All of what’s happened to you?”

I took a deep breath and did my best to smile. “Same way I always do: with humor.”

My friends shared another glance, before Ceru looked back at me with a shrug. “Alright, but if you need support, we’re here for you.”

“‘Kay, I’ll remember that. Now let’s introduce ourselves to a completely new Ponyville.”

“Wait,” Charcoal called out.

My ear twitched in annoyance. “What now?”

“Right now is a great time to test what that serum did to you. It gave you some strange magic, so let’s see what you can do with it.”

“That’s a good idea,” Ceru added, “you could do shields under pressure, but can you do them again at will?”

“Why would I shield me from myself?” Two confused faces later, I sighed. “Bad joke, okay. I’ll see what I can do.”

Let’s see… Before, I just thought up what I wanted. Does it still work that way? I mentally asked for a dome shield like before, and voila, one appeared around me. A smile crossed my face. “Okay, that is officially awesome. I just will it to happen and it happens.”

“Interesting. It sounds less like magic and more like a superpower,” Ceru said, then suddenly got really excited. “Like the Power Ponies! I guess you’re Radiance. I can be Mistress Mare-velous and Charcoal can be Saddle Rager.”

Charcoal raised an eyebrow. “Um, I don’t think so.”

Ceru shrugged. “Suit yourself. Sunny, what’s it like in there?”

“Very bright,” I responded, “Ceru, try breaking the shield, I wanna test something.” I could feel Lemon pounding on the shield before, but I wanted to find out how far that went. Ceru nodded and bucked the shield. It felt like a very dull thud against my body, like it was pressed against a wall and someone on the other side was hitting it. I could feel the vibrations, but it didn’t hurt. “Huh. Neat. I can feel that, just barely.”

With a flick of my wings, I dispelled the shield. To my surprise, the light seemed to absorb into my body. I appeared to glow for a brief second before returning to normal. Strangely enough, I felt a burst of energy afterwards, like I just had an energy drink. Ceru circled around me eagerly, almost like a shark. “Amazing… You can absorb the light into you. What did it feel like?” She asked.

“Like I had a shot of NOS. In other words, it felt good.” Emboldened by this new feeling, I decided to try something else. What if I could use this as a weapon? Could I make a sword? I imagined a sword held in my hoofgrip. And as I pondered how strange that phrase sounded in my head, I could feel the light flow up my foreleg and form into a solid yellow blade. The cool thing was that I could feel the sword as if it were an extension of my leg. “Oh, this is definitely the coolest thing I’ve ever done.” I gave the sword a few practice swings against some of the tall grass, and it cut through it like a machete.

Ceru was right beside me, grinning from ear to ear. “That is so cool! You really are like Radiance! Only less elegant.”

I matched Ceru’s grin with one of my own as I got another idea. “I don’t think I wanna be a prissy superhero. What if I wanna be a Pokemon?” Yes! I could use this cool ability to mimic a Pokemon’s Solarbeam. Now, how does it work? I absorb solar energy and unleash it in a powerful blast. Okay, I think I can do that, but I better take it slowly. I don’t wanna blow up. I stopped for a moment, dispelling the sword. I don’t know how I absorbed the light before, but if I could find out how to do it actively, as well as figure out a way to fire the beam, I could do it.

I closed my eyes and spread my wings, trying to feel the light shining down from the sun. It felt warm, pleasant. I wanted to feel that energy flow into me, and it did start doing just that. I could feel a warmth inside of me, growing quickly. I wanted to get that warmth out in one powerful burst. I could hear Ceru saying something, but I chose not to pay attention, instead wanting to focus on the solarbeam. If I got distracted, it could all blow up in my face.

I needed an exit point for the energy, somewhere to fire the beam from. I decided to focus the energy into my mouth, and the warmth quickly flowed where I told it to. I opened my eyes to see a small ball of light forming just under my nose, slowly building in size. Alright, now to release the energy in a concentrated beam. I took a deep breath and exhaled sharply. To my surprise, the energy did get released in a beam, though it was a lot faster than I expected. It went from my mouth to the ground about 100 meters away in less than a second, creating a small explosion of dirt when it made impact. The shockwave of the blast blew back my mane and knocked loose my visor.

“Huh, not exactly what I expected,” Charcoal commented from behind, “though it was still very impressive. Good job.”

I didn’t immediately acknowledge her compliment. I just stood there, dumbfounded by what I just did. I just used Solarbeam. I just did a fucking Solarbeam. You could almost feel the shit-eating grin on my face as that realization came.

Ceru meanwhile was jumping up and down in excitement. “I can’t believe you did that! That was incredible! Your wings and cutie mark went all glowy and then you just went PEW and fired a laser! You could give unicorns a run for their bits with power like that!”

My ear twitched and I turned to face Ceru, my smile dissolving into confusion. “My what went glowy?” I had to ask. I also straightened my visor.

“Your cutie mark glows when you use these unusual abilities. Perhaps it’s a side effect?” Charcoal inquired.

I shrugged, waving a hoof dismissively. “Maybe, I don’t care. All I know is that I can do really cool things. It seems the serum was designed to turn me into a living weapon. And while it’s really awesome, at the same time I don’t want it completely going to my head.” Yeesh, imagine me going mad with power. That would be scary.

“What I wonder is where you’re getting this magic from. What is causing you to be able to do this? I’m not an arcane scientist or a biologist, so I can’t really know for sure.” Charcoal looked towards the distance at Ponyville. “Maybe the local library could have some information. Twilight Sparkle designed the formula, maybe she got the idea from a book.”

“It’s a long shot, but sure, let’s check and see.” I nodded, and the three of us began the walk to Ponyville. The town itself looked peaceful, though a few ponies were whispering about an explosion they heard earlier. I guess we were noticed. Let’s hope they don’t piece things together. The library was still the same as it always was, and this time there was no big castle in town so I assumed Uni-Twi lived here and not Ali-Twi.

The assumptions were confirmed as we stepped inside and saw Twilight sitting at the table, her face buried in a book. I didn’t see Spike, and it occurred to me that in all my travels, I have never seen that purple dragon. At all. Ever. I’m kinda disappointed by that. Well, he wasn’t here, so I’m gonna have to wait a little longer to see him.

I stepped over to the nearest shelf and started browsing the books, trying to find anything on exotic magic. There were a few interesting books on magical theories, but none of them delved into the type of magic I was looking for. So I turned to the one pony who might know. “Hey, Sparkle.”

Twilight jolted up from her book and looked around quickly, her eyes eventually resting on me. “Yes, can I help you?” She asked irritably. Methinks she was doing more than reading there.

“You got any books on light-based magic?” I asked, “We’re looking to do a little research for a project.”

Twilight tilted her head as she thought. “Yeah, I think I do. Hold on.” She floated three books out from the shelves and briefly flipped through them. “Aha, here we are. Does this help?” She floated the books over to me, and I read the covers. The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide. No. Harnessing the Sun: Solar Energy and the Magic Within. Maybe. Daring Do and the Medallion of Shadow. Huh. Sounds cool, might be worth a read anyway.

I took the second and third book and tucked them under my wing. “Yeah, I think they’ll do for now.” I didn’t really have anywhere to take them, so I just sat down at the table and opened up the book about the Sun.

“Hey Sunny, if you’re going to stay here, Charcoal and I are going to look around.” Ceru called out. I nodded my acknowledgement and the two left the library. I’ll meet up with them later. For now, let’s see what’s in this book.

“If there’s anything else you need, I’ll be downstairs,” Twilight said, opening the door to the basement, “I can see if there are any other books on the matter while I’m down there.” She shut the door, leaving me alone with these books. I was okay with this; it meant a peaceful read.

“Honey, I’m hoooome!”

Fuck.

Author's Note:

This chapter is a bit hastily written, but I wanted to get the filler out of the way before I get to write the next really fun bit.