• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 2,212 Views, 113 Comments

AtDD II: Cross Dimension Road Trip - StrawberryGamer



Sunshine's adventure continues as she's left to wander through multiple dimensions, trying to figure out a way home. However, that doesn't mean she can't have fun with it.

  • ...
6
 113
 2,212

Practice Round

It really wasn’t that long of a day. We spend the remainder of the evening brainstorming until Lemon brought up the idea of using me to infiltrate one of James’ parties. I quashed that idea quickly, refusing to spend more than five minutes near that guy. Then after a moment of silence, a few questions were asked. “You two seemed to get along when you captured me. What’s up with that?”

Lemon shrugged. “We were both lost souls looking for answers, and I had a sort of dream after getting hit with the Elements. A pink pony, telling me where to find Jesse.”

My ear twitched curiously. “Oh really? I had a dream involving a pink pony after you knocked me out. She offered me training with my magic.”

“Yeah, speaking of which, what was up with that weird glow? I’ve looked through the magic books, and they said nothing about pegasi doing that.” Jesse asked.

I threw up my hooves. “Now that! That’s a weird story I only know half of. Experimental magic serum. For making super soldiers. Or something. Fuck if I really know, or care. I just know I got injected with some of that shit and now I can shoot lasers.”

“And why didn’t you shoot me when I had you at the end of a crossbow?”

“First, I barely know how to use this power other than ‘think about doing it, and the magic does it.’ Second, I’m not a fucking psychopath.”

“Right. Fair enough…”

Things got quiet again after that, and with no further ideas thrown out, the three of us eventually retired for the night. Jesse gave Lemon and I a couple sleeping bags the CMC would use when they apparently went camping in the Everfree Forest, the dumbest idea if I’ve ever heard one, but I guess everyone in this world has the same low bar for intelligence as James. Then again, we’re camping out in the Everfree Forest…

Touché, world.

So with that in mind, we said our goodnights, made ourselves comfy, and went to bed. Or at least tried to. It took some fiddling to get my wings from folding uncomfortably in the bag. By then the others were fast asleep. “Typical. Can’t get comfy and I’m the last one to fall asleep. Just like my old campouts. Whatever, hopefully we’ll get something sorted out tomorrow...”


“Hey check that out!” Vinyl exclaimed, pointing towards a stage set up by the flower shop. “There’s one of those traveling magicians in town.”

I looked over the crowd that had gathered around the stage, and sure enough there a teal green unicorn mare alongside some magician’s props. Disappearing cabinets, sawed-in-half boxes, the works. Oddly enough there was an abundance of mirrors around the stage. “I know stage magicians are all about smoke and mirrors, but I think this one went too far in one direction.” I quipped, to Vinyl’s amusement.

“This one better not be like other magician.” Octavia grumbled. “I couldn’t stand that pompous attitude.”

Vinyl shrugged. “Eh, Trixie wasn’t that bad. Except for her showboating, lies, lackluster magic, destruction of Ponyville, enslavement of Ponyville… Okay, yeah. She was pretty bad.”

Ceru bounded ahead towards the stage. “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go see the show!”

As the rest of us followed, Lemon piped up. “What’s the deal with unicorns doing magic shows anyway? It’s not like Earth, magic is real here. No need to fake it.”

“Well it’s simple, really.” Starry said. “You see…”

“What do you think, Sis?” I asked, extending a hoof to her, which she took to help her stand up.

“I think you’re crazy to have done this… how many times now?”

“Um… let’s see… One, two, three… Fuck if I know, lost count at five.” I said with a shrug. Wave just looked at me weird, then walked over the railing and looked out at the wide open skies. “Pretty nice, huh? Probably the best world I’ve jumped to yet.”

“Yeah. Is this what it’s like being a pegasus? Seeing the whole world beneath your wings?” Wave asked, not looking back.

“I guess… I’ve only been this way for… what, a week? And I’ve only gotten to really enjoy the skies twice. Been grounded for the most part.”

“Yeah, I can imagine. Still hard to believe though…”

I flexed my wings as I joined Wave in leaning against the railing. I had to admit that the skies seemed to be calling me to play in them once again. But being so high up, I was rather reluctant to do so and leave my sister alone. Heh, did I really call her my sister? I guess I have been too quick to abandon my old life…

“Hey, Wave… I-”

“So what do ya think, doc? Can you do it?” Vinyl asked.

The cyan earth pony took one look at me, her gaze hovering over my wing, before chucking. “I’m no doc, except with machines. But yeah, we can do it. Oh, I suppose I need to introduce myself. Frosty Works, mechanic extraordinaire.” She held out a hoof.

I shook it happily, wincing as she somehow had a very powerful grip. “Sunshine, fuck-up extraordinaire.”

“Oh, now don’t go anything that. It’s not good for your self-esteem.”

I scoffed. “I lost that long ago. Been coasting off of insanity lately.”

“I can tell, if what Vinyl here said was true.” Frosty turned to her assistant, a light tan thestral mare. “Bronze, take this young lady’s measurements while I warm up the forge.”

Bronze gave an exaggerated salute and started gathering my measurements, while Wave looked about ready to cry. “I’m so relieved…”

What were those? Dreams? Maybe. Seemed too straightforward. Memories? Certainly not, even I’d remember that. Visions? Wouldn’t be the first time, but… “Wait, where am I?”

An endless starry void stretched all around me. No way to tell which was was up, down, left, or purple. Wait… “Is this the dreamscape?” If I was here, then…

“Clever observation, little one.” Came a regal voice from behind. Turning showed the obvious form of Princess Luna. “Here I walk through the dreams of my subjects, offering advice or quelling nightmares.” She walked past me and opened what I can best describe as windows of my previous dream flashes. “I must admit your dreams intrigue me. Divination is a rare talent exclusive to the magically gifted, and it’s never taken this form.”

“It’s not divination, Princess. It’s more like a precognitive dream, if that’s what this is. More psychic than magic. Don’t really care, anyway. These are nothing special.” I waved a hoof dismissively at the dream windows.

Luna looked between me and the dream windows as if thinking about trying to change my mind before sighing and closing them. “Seems so. I cannot gleam anything from these visions, as if they were merely random moments in time.”

Luna and I stood quietly in the starry void for a moment before an idea came to mind. “Can I use the dreamscape to sift through my memories?” Luna looked confused for a moment, but nodded. “Sweet!” I tried thinking about some of the more memorable events over the last few days, and a good few dozen windows open in front of me, each showing a different memory since I turned into a pony. Luna seemed to peer curiously at the various memories while I looked for one in particular.

“What is this memory? Did you make enemies with young Sparkle?” Luna asked. I looked over at the memory she was looking at. It was the one where Starry came to protect me from Twilight’s memory erasure.

Twilight narrowed her eyes at me. “The spell didn’t work? How? You don’t have any magic defenses. Either way, you lost. You don’t have any friends aside from those I made for you.” She said.

“That’s where you’re wrong!” A voice from the side said. We both turned and found Starry Night standing there, her horn glowed a deep blue. “I am her friend, and the stars say that her destiny is not yours to control.” She said.

Twilight ignored her and turned back to me. She fired a beam from her horn. I braced for it to hit me, but it never did. Starry Night deflected it with her magic. Twilight glared at the blue unicorn. “You must understand. Sunshine has reached status red. She can no longer go about freely.” She said, pointing at me.

“Kinda. Long story, you were there. Well, you from another universe.”

“You are from a parallel plane? Like the great hero Sir James?” Luna asked.

“Pfft, great hero my ass,” I scoffed. “But yeah, I’ve kinda been wandering around universes. Met a couple other versions of you.”

“You’d do well not to speak ill of the one who has saved our world more times than you could ever dream.” Luna warned, glaring at me.

“Yeah? Well maybe I can return the favor. Just looking for one memory in particular… Here!” I grabbed the window I was looking for and expanded it. It was my earlier conversation with James - and Weaver. I paid close attention as it played.

“Now, I get that Equestria encourages herding, due to the extremely skewed gender ratio, but it’s different where I’m from. We typically only have one partner. So when I found out she was cheating on me with the head cheerleader, I… Well, I kinda flipped, and I may or may not have decked the dude in the face.”

His story was interrupted by a near spit-take from me as I tried to hold in laughter. His girlfriend cheated on him with the head cheerleader? Didn’t that sort of thing usually happen in reverse? He glared at me and I waved him off. “Sorry, sorry. I just thought of something funny. Carry on.”

I skipped ahead a bit. This wasn’t what I was looking for.

I sighed. This wasn’t gonna be easy on me, was it? Fine, might as well dig deeper into his backstory. “So if you’re from the same world, how come you’re an alicorn and she’s not?”

“This is why.” He said, gesturing to the white gem around his neck. “The Element of Virtue. It was supposedly lost for thousands of years, when it was actually on my world. I stumbled upon it during a family vacation, and it transported me here, granting me the power to save Equestria from evil, as well as gifting me a new body to do it with.”

That was it. Something about that was trying to click in my head. I knew I had the info somewhere in my head, I just needed to find it.

“Most likely. But what was that about a rescue? Aren’t you like an omnipotent, metaphysical being or something?”

“Hehe, no, pony. I do have a physical form, and I’m not omnipotent.”

I waved a hoof suddenly. “But waitwaitwait. Didn’t you say you could shape entire worlds? You’re an author, you’re supposed to be a god in the stories you write.”

There was a pause before Weaver spoke again. “True, but something happened long ago. I lost the ability to weave my stories fully, by one more powerful than me. I was left weakened, almost powerless until I was rescued. The world you stand in was conjured up from James’ mind. Apparently it’s from a television show he likes. Odd, but I’m not complaining. You ponies are cute, and I always enjoyed writing musical numbers.”

Bingo. He said he has a physical form and was rescued by James. But how? The only thing James had to say was that he found the “Element of Virtue” during a vacation. Simply putting 2 and 2 together… Weaver was the Element! I finally had a target. Now came the hard part. Strawberry said that taking on James as I was would be suicide, but now if I were to save my friends, he directly stands in my way. And if I were to go a step further, I might be able to save the whole world from this fate.

“What were you looking for?” Luna asked, having moved beside me.

“The creator of this world, who stripped its inhabitants of free thought, to be puppets dancing on the strings of one arrogant teenager.” I stated.

“Sir James? But he is a hero, not a villain.”

“I know that, but the one who made him a hero is, no matter what he may claim to be otherwise. And I may end up looking like the biggest villain of all, but I will do my best to save my friends from this god-pretender.” This was silly, foolhardy, even downright insane, but somewhere in my head I knew it had to be done.

“And how will you do that?”

“I have no idea!”

A couple more windows floated by, showing my first time meeting Charcoal and Ceruline. Luna and I both shared a look through these memories. “These ponies, they are your friends?”

I nodded. “Yes, and they’re in trouble.”

“How do you know?”

I paused, looking back at the previous memory of what led me to seek out Jesse. Was I too hasty in thinking they were under Weaver’s control? Were they in or out of their usual character?

I was pulled from that thought by two approaching ponies, Charcoal and Ceru. Finally, some welcome faces. Both appeared happy to see me, but something was… off. “Hey, find anything interesting?” I asked.

Both their eyes shifted to James, then back to me. “Yeah, who’s your… friend?” Ceru asked back, an almost strained smile on her face.

Out of character, definitely. I had to do something or I risk losing them to James and Weaver. “It’s a gut feeling, Princess. I just know I have to try.”

Luna put a hoof on my shoulder, looking stern but supportive. “Your loyalty to your friends is commendable. But you must know the trouble you will be in should you be wrong, or fail. James may have shown me mercy, but he did not show others that he faced the same. My sister and the Elements may try to stop you as well.”

“I’ve spent this long running from them once before. If push comes to shove, I might not be able to run from them again. I’ll just have to take them as they come.” I paused, looking up at Luna. “Unless you’d be willing, under the guise of plausible deniability, to offer a distraction.”

“I’m not sure about this creator, and even less sure about posing yourself as a villain towards our greatest hero, but on the off chance you’re right… I’ll keep Celestia from interfering, at least. When do you plan on making your move?”

“Couple days, tops. I’m thinking I need to train and come up with a proper battle strategy. That won’t happen quickly, but I can’t take too long.”

Luna nodded. “Okay. I might be able to separate Sparkle and her friends from Sir James for that long. Should you be successful in saving Equestria from this god-pretender, you will have my thanks. If you’re wrong…” she glared at me again, her form briefly shifting to a more Nightmare-like one, “there will be nowhere in this world or any other you will be able to hide from our wrath.

“...Duly noted…”

The Dreamscape quickly fell away and I woke to a face full of sleeping bag. After some flailing to get out of said bag, I noticed that Jesse and Lemon were already up. Lemon was even cooking eggs and bacon on a camping stove. “Morning ya butts. What’s up with the food? Where’d you get actual bacon?”

“Yanked some stuff from a Walmart back home. Hopefully no one saw me.” Lemon answered, not looking back. “Morning, by the way.”

I blinked. “Wait, you can go go to another world and back?” Sure she used her power to steal something, but it was fine as long as she wasn’t caught, right?

She nodded. “Yeah, I have a somewhat more stable version of the spell your friends have been using to try and catch up with you.” I wasn’t aware of what kind of spell my friends had, but if Lemon had that kind of power, why didn’t she leave? She could have gone anywhere, so why stay with us? “Alright, it’s done. Come and get it.”

Lemon passed both Jesse and I a paper plate with scrambled eggs and bacon, as well as a cup of orange juice. “There will be no leftovers, as we’ll need to keep any potential hungry creatures from nosing out the camp.”

“Here here,” Jesse said, raising her cup, “though I wouldn’t be adverse to some bait to lure in future meals.”

We settled down to enjoy our breakfasts, but something nagged at me. “Lemon, you were part of Operation: Harmonize, weren’t you?”

She paused, slowly nodding. “Yeah. They captured me, transformed me, rushed my conditioning, then sent me after you.”

“Figured… Were you meant to become an alicorn?”

She shrugged. “Dunno. If I wasn’t, they never told me. Or if they did I forgot.”

“One more question. You know who you were before? Just curious.”

She raised an eyebrow at me, but answered anyway. “A trucker, named Tyler.”

I froze. “The Tyler who had the RV with Lyra? That one?”

She nodded. “Yup… Small world, huh?”

“Yup… Sorry about losing the RV, I have no idea what happened to it. And… good to see you again, I guess.”

She chuckled weakly. “Yeah. It’s fine, I don’t plan on going back for it anyway.”

“You sure?” Jesse asked. “If you aren’t interested in it, I sure am. Beats having my bedroom transported to this old castle.”

“If we can find it, sure. You can have it.”

“Sweet!”

The rest of breakfast was quiet. Afterwards, Lemon put all the scraps and trash in a pile and was about to cast a spell when I had an idea. “Hold up, I wanna try something.” With mumbled acceptance, she stepped back as I approached the trash pile. Focusing on the magic inside me, I noticed I had a lot of energy stored still. Maybe energy collection was passive rather than active. So I took as much of it as I could, focused it into the shape of a mallet, compressed and heated that mallet up to the point where it looked like plasma, then grasped it with a hoof and slammed it onto the trash. When I lifted the mallet, only a scorch mark remained on the stone floor. “There ya go, I guess. A little scrubbing and it’ll be good as new.”

“Wow,” Jesse commented as I dispelled the mallet and felt the energy return to me, “lasers and plasma mallets? Superpower lottery winner, this one.”

“I hope not. The lottery is a curse.” I remarked. “I just felt like I needed some practice with my new magic. And I’m gonna need a lot more if I want to take on James.”

They both looked stunned, so I filled them in on my dream. The visions faded pretty quickly from my memory but the talk with Luna I remembered. “...So I figured I’d train today and, ready or not, take him on tomorrow so I can try and take down Weaver.”

They both sat silently, contemplating for a moment. “You’re nuts,” Jesse eventually said, “I like nuts. How can I help?”

“Me too. I want to try and make up for what I did. I want to help.” Lemon said, standing up. “And I have an idea how. Follow me.”

Lemon and I took off towards what seemed to be a courtyard on the outskirts of the ruins. It was nice and open, perfect for testing the limits of magic. Jesse found her way to us shortly after. “So, what’s the plan?” She asked, taking a seat on a rock.

“I say we play Mythbusters. Er, Magicbusters, I guess.” I suggested. “Basically we take an idea of what we want to try, and treat it like a science experiment. Hypothesis, experiment, gather data, and repeat. Only issue is figuring out a control.”

“Okay,” Lemon agreed, “what’s the first myth?”

“Well… What exactly are the properties of my light magic? Am I actually taking photons and either solidifying them or turning them into plasma? Or is it something more akin to raw magical energy?”

“That’s something we might be able to test. I don’t know how we’d be able to measure it though. None of us are experts on mana or aether or any of those other magical terms.” Lemon said.

“We’ll also need to take measurements. So for that, it might be worth a trip to gather writing materials. Maybe a tape measure.” Jesse added.

“Right. Lemon and I can head into town and grab some supplies. Jesse, could I ask you to to maybe sweep up the courtyard? We’ll be working with a lot of heat, and I don’t want any fires starting accidentally.” Jesse nodded, and went back to her camp, coming back with a broom and a small bag of bits which Lemon took. “Much appreciated.”

Lemon donned a poncho to hide her wings and I donned my visor because it looks cool. The blue tint it gave my sight was gonna take a bit of getting used to though. Then with a flash of magic and a pop, Lemon teleported us to the edge of the Everfree. “Alright, I’ll grab the supplies. You head to the library. Figure out what we need to know to make proper tests. I’d say even ask Twilight if she’s home.” Lemon instructed.

I nodded in agreement. I didn’t really want to meet Twilight again, and even worse would be meeting James again. However, we needed to know what we were doing. Performing these experiments blind was worse than not doing them at all. “Alright, meet back here in half an hour?”

“More or less, sure.”

And with that, we went our separate ways. I didn’t actually remember how to get to the library, but wings made that irrelevant. When I got there, the place seemed oddly empty. Well, it usually was, I guess. So I began browsing magic books for some of the more scientific material needed. And wow who knew you could treat magic as a science?

It turns out the place wasn’t so empty after all, as a little purple lizard came walking in. Finally, my first meeting with Spike! It wasn’t really all that exciting, actually. “Hey there, can I help you?” He asked.

“Oh, uh, yes. I was here yesterday looking for magic research material. I’m looking for something more. Doing some experiments and I need to know what I’m doing.”

“Hmmm…” Spike gazed around the bookshelves. “What kind of experiments?"

"Whether light or solar-based magic utilizes properties separate from more traditional kinds of magic. Then I guess we’d go from there.”

“Huh…” Spike grabs a blue book from the shelf entitled Magical Energies and Properties. “Here, this should be what you’re looking for. You looking for any help with your experiments? I may not be Twilight, but I’m not her Number One Assistant for nothing.”

I wanted to say yes, but since we were working with one of Equestria’s most wanted, I’d wager that letting Spike come would be a bad idea. “I don’t think so. Twilight needs her best assistant, right?”

Spike seemed to visibly deflate. “Oh. Um, not really… Since James came along, she’s been talking less and less to me…”

I scowled. Well that wasn’t right. James was hurting Spike’s relationship with Twilight? This wasn’t my job to fix, but… “You know wh-”

I froze mid-sentence when the door opened and Twilight walked in, looking… very disheveled. “Hey Spike... You mind getting a shower started?” She asked, her voice dripping with exhaustion.

Spike jumped, rushing over to Twilight. “T-Twilight! What happened?”

“I, um, had a run-in with a monster…” She answered noncommittally.

My bullshit meter was spiking, but I guess Spike’s wasn’t as finely tuned. “What?! Are the other girls okay? What about James? I would have thought he could take care of it. Weren’t you supposed to be with him?”

She nodded. “They’re fine, Spike. I just need to get cleaned up. Then I can, uh, get back to the others.”

Spike nodded and ran upstairs, leaving me alone with Twilight. She turned to me, and must have spotted the book I was holding. “Studying magic?”

“Yeah, a friend and I are gonna do some experiments. Figure out the properties of certain kinds of magic. Should be fun.”

She seemed to perk up at the word experiments. “Really? Mind if I tag along?”

Absolutely not. For many, many reasons. “No, I think we got it. Besides, shouldn’t you be heading back to James as soon as you can?”

“I-uh, yeah, I guess...” For a moment she looked dejected, before Spike came back, announcing the shower was ready. “Thanks Spike, you’re the best assistant I could ask for.”

“Aw, thanks Twi. You know you can count on me.” Spike smiled, and Twilight returned the feeling.

“Always.” She said before running upstairs to shower.

Those two need to reconnect. Hopefully when I take care of Weaver they’ll have that chance. With book in hoof, I left the library and made for the rendezvous spot. I was early, so I spent a few minutes fiddling with a stick, pretending it was a sword. Eventually Lemon showed up as well, carrying a bag of supplies. “Hey, were you followed?”

Lemon shook her head. “No, you?”

“Hopefully not. Twilight seemed to be acting shifty when she came in to take a shower, but I left while she was still in there, so I doubt she could have followed me.”

“Alright, let’s go then.” Lemon lit up her horn, and with another pop, we were back at the castle courtyard. It looked a lot cleaner too, not as much dirt and leaves everywhere.

“Hey, welcome back. Got the place nice and cleaned up. Got the goods?” Jesse asked, to which Lemon answered by floating the bag to her. “Alright, I think we’re set.”

“Sweet, let’s bust some magic. Jesse, take notes. Experiment one: What the fuck is my magic made of?”

The next half hour was spent absorbing light, concentrating light, forming constructs, and all the while Lemon took measurements with both tools and magic. Eventually we figured out that while my magic was actual light, there were two odd things about it. First, I could manipulate the light around me without having to absorb it directly by just reaching out to it. It wasn’t too accurate, but we could work on that, and it wasn’t draining at all as long as I had a steady source of sunlight. The second was the magic itself. There was none. At all. No mana was present in the light I projected. It was pure light, and somehow I could treat it like both energy and matter.

That was the best part, actually. I could absorb and fire it like a laser or manipulate it like matter, forming light into a solid or plasma state. Though I quickly learned it will not stay in a plasma state for long without an electromagnetic field to hold it. Getting light into a liquid or gas form has proven beyond my reach somehow. Probably because I can’t wrap my head around how I’d use it. Lamps, lasers, plasma, swords, shields… All these I get, and can easily use. Liquid light? What the fuck would I use that for? A drink? Fuck if I know what that would taste like.

“So we know two things from our experiments. One: the ability to manipulate light is extremely versatile, and quite handily breaks the rules of matter. At least as far as I know. Two: it’s all somehow done without without any mana usage at all.” I summarised.

“So how do you wanna call this?” Jesse asked.

I sighed. “I’m gonna say it’s not magic. Not in any traditional sense anyway. Maybe it is when it’s in me, but not out of me. So I’m saying it’s more like an extraordinary ability than a magical one.”

“Extraordinary?”

“Yeah, a non-magical ability. What, you never played a tabletop game?” Lemon remarked.

“...You’re both nerds.”

“Good. I’d hate to be anything else.” I countered, giving Lemon a hoof bump.

Okay, with that settled, we moved onto how much power I could store and release. And let me fucking tell you something about that…

“Okay… Maybe try blowing up the forest… slightly less.” Lemon said, staring at a 15-meter wide crater in the forest outside the courtyard while I hovered above.

“What? You wanted me to put as much energy as I could into that shot. That was about all I had. Look, see? Even my butt stopped glowing.”

Oh yeah, that was another thing I learned. My Cutie Mark glows when I channel light. It was about the only detectable source of magic we had, and we used how brightly it glowed as an indicator of my internal light reserves. Since it stopped glowing that meant I was running empty. And then that fact hit me like a truck, along with a wave of exhaustion that nearly sent me crashing to the ground if Lemon hadn’t caught me.

“You alright?” She asked.

I nodded weakly. “Yeah… I think. Guess power is tied to stamina.”

So we took a break for lunch while I charged my batteries, so to speak. Lemon had whipped up some pretty tasty sandwiches and we were sitting down in the courtyard to enjoy them when the sound of hoofsteps echoed from elsewhere in the castle. “Damnit… Got a visitor.” Jesse muttered. “Looks like I won’t be joining you for further testing. Sucks being a fugitive.”

“Well hopefully after tomorrow you won’t be anymore. Now get going and hopefully they won’t spot you.” Lemon said, shooing her away.

After Jesse left, we finished our food and once again incinerated any trash. “Right-o, feeling better now. What say we work on reflexes?”

“How do you propose we do that?”

“Fire some sort of spell at me, and I’ll try to summon a shield to block or deflect it.” It often took a few seconds for me to gather or charge the energy needed for me to do anything with my magic, and if I were to pull this suicide mission off, I had to get that down to a second or less.

“Alright.” She agreed, and we took positions on opposite ends of the courtyard. “Ready or not, here I come!”

She fired off an ice bolt at me, and I know it was an ice bolt because I was too slow and took it right in the chest. Stung like a motherfucker. “Dammit, go again.” Another bolt, another failure to block, but that one missed. “Again!” She fired another bolt, which finally impacted against a properly timed shield. “Ha! Yes!” And when I put the shield down, Lemon decided to immediately throw another bolt at me, which nailed me straight in the snoot. “Ah! Fuck!” As I wiped the frost off my face, I heard Lemon laughing. “Yeah yeah, yuk it up.”

“That’s not me.”

We looked around, and spotted a certain lavender unicorn approaching me. “Sorry, I know you said you didn’t need my help, but I was curious about your experiments.”

“How’d you find us?” Lemon asked, glaring daggers at Twilight.

“It wasn’t easy. After my shower you had already left, so I had to figure out where you were conducting your experiments.” Twilight began explaining, but Lemon cut her off.

“No, how’d you find us?” She repeated.

Twilight looked at Lemon for a moment, then sighed. “I’ll admit, it was a bit of guesswork and a hunch. Tracking across dimensions is surprisingly difficult.”

Oh, this was our Twilight, the one who was responsible for our transformations. I knew my bullshit meter was spiking earlier. “So what brings you to us now? Looking to finish the job yourself?”

Twilight recoiled, shaking her head quickly. “No no, nothing like that. I just… I wanted to apologize properly. In person. I’ve done some terrible, unforgivable things to both of you… But I’ve changed. I want to make it right.”

“Oh, you want to make it right, huh?” Lemon snarled. “How about we twist you into a form you don’t recognize as your own, scramble your mind, and turn you into a megalomaniac?! How’s that for a start?!”

“Lemon, stop. Please.” I pleaded.

“Stop? Why should I stop? She didn’t! It’s thanks to her that I almost became a monster!”

“Well since she’s here, she did stop. And you can hold a grudge as long as you want. However you’re wasting energy you should be saving for the fights that actually matter.”

“Oh, so you’re just gonna forgive her?”

“Of course not, but I said before I don’t hold grudges. I don’t accept her apology either. Talk is cheap.” I walked up to Twilight, who looked about ready to cry from Lemon’s beratement. I wasn’t about to help that, as I formed a paddle of light in my hoof and slapped her in the face with it. “That’s for not letting me take home any leftover pizza.”

Twilight recoiled from the slap, apparently not expecting it from her confused look. Turning around, Lemon had an equally baffled expression. I couldn’t help but laugh. “What? You expected something else? Bitch I take my pizza deadly seriously.”

“Fair enough, I guess…” Twilight said, rubbing her cheek. “But I have a question… I sent your friends along to help you. What happened to them?”


“Ahhhh, finally…” Vinyl sighed, stretching her legs in the Ponyville sun. “We’ve finally caught up to her again.” She gazed around the open field. “So where are they?”

“I’m not sure…” Starry lit her horn and released a blue pulse of magic. “Her magic signature is all over this area, so she was here. Maybe within the last day.”

“Okay, but that still doesn’t answer the question. Where is Sunny now? And the others? And that nutso alicorn too?”

“Vinyl, please calm yourself.” Octavia placed a hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “I’m sure they’re nearby.”

“Yeah, but… You feel like we might be walking into a battle for the fate of the world?”

Octavia shook her head. “Can’t say I do. But if there is such a battle, I’ll buy you a drink. How about that?”

“Yeah, sure. Now let’s get going.”

Author's Note:

I return! With a double-length chapter! I thought about splitting it in half, but decided to just write and push out the whole thing at once. Also I may have written some of it while binge watching Mythbusters. See if you can find where.