• Published 20th Mar 2017
  • 1,231 Views, 10 Comments

The Sunny Side - Danger A Dragon

  • ...
1
 10
 1,231

Lunch Talk

The Sunny Side
Chapter 1 - Lunch Talk

“Mom, have you seen my magic book? I thought it was wight on my witing table,” I called as I looked high and low for my book. My room, which is usually neat and tidy, now looked like Princess Luna and Princess Celestia had fought in it. Books, papers, pillows, sheets, you name it and it was out of place despite it being a wonderful day outside with almost no clouds out. I was more frustrated than I probably should have been since I still didn’t have my cutie mark while all the other fillies and colts were getting theirs one after another.

“I think your book is back in the sun room,” mom called back after I heard some pots and pans banging about. mom was a Unicorn with a blue coat, lime green mane and tail, and a cluster of jewels for her cutie mark.

“Thanks, mom. I’ll go check the sun woom,” I called and ran past my mirror before going back to fix my red and yellow mane and checking to make sure my amber coat didn’t need brushing and my tail, which matched my mane, was just as I liked it. I sighed at the sight of my blank flank. I shook my head before going to the sun room and finding my book next to the cushion I used when reading in there. “Found it in the sun woom, mom.”

“Was it where you were reading?” mom asked when she spotted me on her way through.

“Yes, but I could have swown that I’d bwought it with me to my woom last night,” I replied before I laid down and began reading my book. “Do you think I can get into Princess Celestia’s school for gifted Unicowns if I study and practice enough, mom?”

mom’s ear flicked and she looked a bit agitated but it passed too quickly to know for sure. “If you study and practice enough, I believe you will.”

“Yay! It’s the best school for Unicowns and I want to make you and dad proud of me. That’s why I want to get into hew school,” I replied with a big smile.

“We’re already proud of you but it is one of the best Unicorn schools in Canterlot, at the very least,” mom said and smiled back at me. mom always knew what to say to make me happy, calm, or relaxed and this time was no different. That is until I heard some fillies giggling outside and I remembered my problem.

“D-Do you think I’ll get m-my cutie mawk soon, mom?” I asked hesitantly with my ears drooping down. I’d heard her answer this before, but I couldn’t help but ask again since everypony else seemed to already have theirs.

“You’re still worried about your cutie mark, Sunset?” mom asked gently as she walked into the sun room.

“Mmhm, evewypony else alweady has theiws. I’m the last in class to wemain a blank flank,” I answered her. mom laid down next to me and nuzzled my cheek comfortingly.

“You’re just a late bloomer. Your cutie mark will come. You just haven't found the right sort of outlet yet for it,” mom said.

“Alwight, but can we go out to look at the pretty flowews again? That flowew that looks like my mane hadn’t bloomed the last we checked and I’d like to see if it has bloomed yet,” I replied.

“Hmm, tell you what. We can go and look at that flower during sunset in case it’s a specific sort of flower. Maybe it only blooms at a specific time of day,” mom suggested.

“Okay, do you weally think it is a special flowew that only blooms at cewtain times?” I wondered with a sparkle in my eyes.

“There’s only one way to find out,” mom replied and nuzzled me again before standing back up.

“So, how long until sunset? Five minutes? Ten minutes?” I inquired. mom chuckled at my enthusiasm and shook her head.

“It’s barely lunch time so another few hours to go,” mom giggled.

“Aww, a few houws, but that’s fowevew fwom now,” I pouted when I found out how long it’d take. I really wanted to see how that flower looked since my mane and tail look like it. Maybe I can get mom to style my mane like it once we see it.

“That may be so why not spend the time after lunch in playing with your friends?” mom asked with a soft smile.

“They’we gonna tease me about my blank flank. I just know it,” I replied. I like playing with my friends, but their teasing got old quick and they’d been doing it a lot recently.

“Why would they tease you? You haven’t mentioned this before,” mom said with a raised brow as she looked down at me.

“They stawted once some of the noble foals stawted teasing me. I know they’we only doing it because they don’t want to be disliked. So, I’ve enduwed it without telling you fow theiw sake,” I explained as I played with my forehooves.

“Even so, you still should have come to me,” mom said with a sigh.

“It’s all those noble ponies fault. They think they’we so much bettew than us and like putting othews down to make it seem like the weally awe,” I said bitterly as tears began to form in my eyes.

“They’re not better than us. I blame their parents for making them think that way,” mom said quietly before sitting in front of me and giving me a gentle hug.

“Do you think if my cutie mawk is awesome enough that they’d stop thinking they’we bettew, mom?” I asked with a muffled voice as I buried my muzzle into mom’s chest and hugged her back.

“It will be, my little ray of sunshine. They just don’t know how awesome you are,” mom answered.

“Thanks, mom. You always know how to make me feel bettew,” I said with a small smile.

“I wouldn't be your mother if I didn’t, know would I?” mom asked with a chuckle and let go of me. “I don't want lunch to burn so I'll call you when it’s ready.”

“Okay, what is fow lunch today?” I wondered. All of mom’s food was good, but some was better than others.

“Just something simple so toasted hay sandwiches,” mom said simply and trotted out of the sun room. Mmm, mom’s toasted hay sandwiches are really good. They’re nice and easy to eat.

“Alwight, toasted hay sandwiches fow lunch. They’we going to be gweat,” I said to myself and began studying my magic book as I waited for lunch to be ready. I’ll show those nobles what I’m really like once they see how powerful I really am and how much I know and they don’t. I studied and studied for what seemed forever and was just about to trot into the dining room when mom called from the kitchen.

“Sunset, lunch is ready,” mom called out from the kitchen and was unaware I had left the sun room already.

“Is dad going to join us today or does he have wowk wight now?” I asked from my chair at the table.

“He’s got work again,” mom sighed and brought in a couple plates with two toasted hay sandwiches apiece.

“Mmm, okay,” I said before grabbing a sandwich and was about to bite into it when I remembered something my teacher had said. “According to my teacher, evewy Unicorn has an aff...af...infinity fow a specific kind of magic. Dad has ice magic, but do you have an infinity for a specific magic?”

“It’s ‘affinity’, dear, and yes I do have one,” mom replied. “Would you like to know what it is?”

“Mmm, I might of the same affinity as you or dad and that’s how I’ll get my cutie mawk,” I replied with a smile.

“I don’t think so. I have more of an affinity for water magic and you … you seem more like a fire type of Unicorn,” mom told me with a thoughtful expression while chewing on a piece of her sandwich.

“Fiwe? What makes you think that, mom?” I wondered as I enjoyed my first sandwich. Mmm, mom’s cooking is great even with simple things.

“Well, the way you look for one. You have more of a heated look to you than any other kind,” mom said and gestured to me with her half eaten sandwich.

“So I should stawt studying fiwe magic to see if it gets me my cutie mawk,” I said in excitement.

“If you think that’s the way to go but usually cutie marks arrive when something strange happens to the filly that gets them or when it just happens with whatever they like doing best,” mom explained.

“Hmm, I see, but what do you mean by ‘something stwange happens’?” I asked curiously as I began on my second sandwich. mom swallowed the rest of her sandwich before answering.

“Usually it's when something unforeseen happens … like for example if a Pegasus were to do a sonic rainboom. If they did that, then their cutie mark would somehow reflect that,” mom explained further.

“Oh, okay. So, anything could give a pony theiw cutie mawk then. Hmm…” I said as I nibbled on my second sandwich in thought.

“That’s right but in most cases it’s when they do something they like doing a lot,” mom replied with a nod as she calmly ate one of her sandwiches.

“So, do you fink I’ll get mine wif fiwe then? I like doing those spells and I seem good at them,” I said as I got done to half of my second sandwich.

“Setting the curtains on fire is not being good with fire spells,” mom chided, seeming to have finished her plate.

“Aww, that would’ve made fow a cool cutie mawk, dough,” I pouted as I finished my sandwich. mom chuckled as her midnight-blue field of magic enveloped the empty plates and floated them into the nearby kitchen.

“It would but how can fire be a cutie mark? I mean think about it,” mom said with a small smile.

“Pwincess Celestia’s dah sun and dat’s fiwe,” I pointed out in hopes of retaining my fire cutie mark idea.

“Is not. It’s a giant ball of gas,” mom said immediately, attempting to close the subject.

“Nu-uh, dah sun’s fiwe. Why else can’t we look at it and it makes things wawm?” I argued as I set my forehooves on the table and balanced on my hind legs.

“Ultra violet rays and the gas is too bright to look at,” mom answered and seemed to mutter something to herself under her breath.

“Ultwa vioet ways?” I said in confusion.

“Beams of sunlight that can give you skin cancer,” mom said in a soft voice, and I noticed she was doing her best to keep some anger inside.

“Sowwy, mommy, I’m making you mad again,” I apologized as my ears drooped to the side and I slowly sat back down in my seat. mom breathed out slowly before hopping off her seat when she looked at the time.

“It’s alright, sweetie. Just try not to mention the sun around me,” mom accepted my apology as she walked around the table and over to me.

“Otay, mommy. C-can we still go to dah pwetty flowews?” I asked, those flowers were really pretty and I knew that I wouldn’t be allowed to go to them by myself.

“Mhm. I just need to check on your sister,” mom nodded before walking out the room.

“Yay! We’we going to dah pwetty flowews,” I cheered and clopped my hooves together happily. I heard mom giggle from down the hall, most likely from my cheers. I hopped down from my chair and went into the living room to wait for mom to come back from checking on my sister. She was a cute little thing, but she needed a lot of attention.