• Published 15th Jun 2016
  • 2,846 Views, 78 Comments

The Great Snowball War - Ponibius



Every year, the children of the Kicker Clan gather for a snowball fight to train them to work and fight as a unit. This year, Gale Kicker asks her friend Magus Midnight Sparkle to join her team. Something she will realize is a horrible mistake.

  • ...
5
 78
 2,846

Chapter 1: Snowball fights, snowball fights never change.

A few days later, Gale led me to the Kicker Compound during the lead-up to the exercise. What had once been the courtyard of an old abandoned castle now served as the commons for the Kickers, and ‘twas a hub of activity as children ran this way about whilst their adult handlers monitored their activities. While not quite a blizzard, snowflakes were coming down in a steady torrent, covering everything in a fresh layer of snow.

On one side of the field stood a banner with a plain red flag. Around the banner were children busying themselves with shoveling snow into a rampart to defend the flag. Each wore a red scarf of the same color as the flag they were to defend. They were being watched over by a small group of adults, of whom I noted Sergeant Stalwart amongst their number.

Stalwart was giving instructions to a half dozen children, probably how best to build a rampart, if I had to guess based on the way he was gesturing at the mound of snow they were working on. Among them was his son, Cobalt Kicker, who nodded in agreement to whatever he was saying.

I also recognized the son of Lady Protector Shadow Kicker, the dark-grey coat of Ash Kicker. Though not quite yet a young adult, he was already developing the strong figure of his mother and possessed a dark-grey coat. I would be surprised if he did not grow into a well-muscled body like Lady Shadow.

Gale stopped next to the banner and turned to address me. “And here is where we will face my husband.”

“I see.” I climbed up the rampart to get a better look at the battleground, taking note that the rampart grew with each fresh layer of snow. “The snow is coming readily.”

“We have teams ensuring that.” Gale pointed at the sky, where several pegasi moved more snow clouds into the area above the field.

Once on top of the rampart, I scanned the terrain. The commons of the Kicker Compound was a large field—far larger than would have been needed for any normal children's game. Instead of a flat white field as I had expected, snow had been made to fall to form hills of varying size all about where the battle was to take place. Even now, I saw Lady Shadow flying about and o’erseeing the minutiae of the snowfall, likely to make for more diverse terrain.

More children were strewn about the field, many of them gathering snowballs on sleds which, once full, they dragged to their flag. While most of the ponies near me wore red scarves, the opposite end of the field was dominated by children wearing blue ones. On the far end of the field sat our objective—an unadorned blue flag tied to a banner. Mirroring our own efforts, children of our opposition were piling snow to build their own rampart.

I carefully studied the ground in order to memorize its features. “I see some terrain has been added.”

“A few simple hills,” Gale explained. “A flat plane is boring and leaves fewer options.”

“Aye, the children would learn little from that.” ‘Twas not difficult to figure out the purposes of adding those hills. Having an eye for the ground was an invaluable skill for a warrior, and as with most skills, was one best honed with experience.

“Exactly.” Gale fluttered up next to me to see the ground too. “They have cover to hide behind, plan ambushes from, or use as defensive positions.” She pointed at the skyline. “We will also bring in low-hanging clouds.”

I looked up and saw that the pegasi were not only placing clouds for the purposes of snowfall, but also to create platforms for ponies to land on. “Ah, aye,” I said. “The older children would be able to fly, and thus be able to use the height advantage to master the battlefield.” I frowned as I considered that dimension of the coming battle. “Hm, I suppose that will have to be dealt with in the usual ways.”

“Meaning?”

“I imagine thou wilt have to use thine own flight-capable pegasi to try and counter theirs,” I stated. “We will have few other counters to attacks from the air, for those children on the clouds will be able to pelt the children on the ground with virtual impunity.”

“We are a pegasus clan, aye,” Gale said. Though as I looked ‘pon the field of battle, could not help but notice that the new generation of Kickers were not solely pegasi. “Such thinking must become natural to us.”

I shook my head. “Sorry, I am looking at this from the perspective a ground-bound pony. I will have to remember that our most effective forces will be in the air.”

“That is only natural.” Gale waved dismissively. “It is something of an adjustment to go to war in three dimensions.”

“Aye, so my books have told me.” At Sergeant Stalwart’s suggestion, I had taken to reading some of the classics of military theory, and more than one passage had warned those bound to the earth how dangerous airborne enemies could be.

“The battlefield is very different from your books,” Gale cautioned.

“I am aware of that,” I insisted. “I did live through the Siege of Canterlot, Gale.”

Gale blinked. She was not used to me being more assertive with her. Something I intended on changing starting now. “Of course, I did not mean to imply—”

I narrowed my eyes. “That I am wholly ignorant of the ways of the battlefield? That I am a pampered unicorn noble whom does not know the realities of battle like proud warrior pegasi, and do not even know which way to point a spear?”

Gale’s only response to my chastisement was to flatten her ears to her head and grimace.

I felt a pang of guilt fall over me. It had been my intention to merely correct her impressions of me, not scold her. Over time, I had found the outright dismissal of pegasi towards ground-bound ponies such as myself where martial matters were concerned to be irritating. ‘Twas one thing to assume the ignorance of another where one’s field of expertise was concerned; ‘twas another to mistake ignorance with stupidity and treat the ignorant like simpletons. I could tolerate a number of things, but to be assumed a fool was not one of them. This was a topic for which I had to correct Sergeant Stalwart a couple of times, and now Gale. Though I made a note to try and be softer in my approach in the future.

I sighed. “Mine apologies, I did not mean to be so sharp with thee. I merely sought to correct a presumption.”

Gale shook her head. “Thou wert not without cause.”

I sensed that the both of us would be happy to move onto another topic. “How about we turn our attention to more practical matters than a few misspoken words? I am sure thou didst not bring me here without reason.”

“Aye, to the coming battle.” Gale turned her gaze to the field of battle. “Now, Dusk is fond of holding his best in reserve until he can strike a decisive blow.”

“A basic enough strategy,” I said. “No doubt he uses it to either beat back an offense or to strike when thy line is about to break.”

Gale nodded. “Or if he sees a chance to turn my flank. Or a weakness he must shore up in his lines. Or ... well, wherever the battle will be decided.” A scowl worked its way into her features as she examined the field. “I attempt clever feints and hidden strikes to draw him out of position. Alas, he knows me too well; always he is able to counter me in the end.”

“Dusk is a clever tactician from what I have heard, and a capable leader,” I conceded. From overhearing conversations, I had rarely heard a foul word spoken of him. At least where his abilities as a commander were concerned.

Gale grumbled under her breath. “Moreso than I, 'twould seem.”

Now I saw what vexed my friend. Gale was a capable, skilled, and intelligent warrior who had a devious mind that could cause no small misery to her enemies. The problem is that she did not possess the right combination of elements that made for a great leader. ‘Twas a simple fact that some ponies held that special spark—be it raw charisma, tactical and strategic brilliance, or some unidentifiable element—that let them lead others to great victories, while others did not. Gale was a perfectly competent leader, make no mistake, but she lacked that special something which her husband did possess, and I was reasonably certain that Gale knew it too.

That being the case, I put mine mind to work to find a solution to her problem. “I believe the key to victory is that we form an advantage he cannot easily surpass.”

“That was my goal in bringing you,” Gale affirmed.

Buoyed by her confidence, a practical solution came to me. “Aye, and I think I have a way to give us a decisive advantage right from the start.”

Gale grinned eagerly. “Oh really?”

I nodded. “If thou wilt have the children step beyond the rampart while I work?”

Gale nodded and raised a leg to catch everypony’s attention. “Children, to me!” She glided beyond the rampart as the children slowly followed after her.

Once everypony was safely away from the banner, I began drawing ‘pon my magic. With careful deliberation, I cast my spell and worked to form what I had envisioned. The sounds of cracking echoed before me as I formed walls of ice. Feeding the snow around me into the construct, the walls grew and grew, creating a tall structure topped with battlements. Once they were done, I added four towers to each corner of the building, all with a protective ceiling to prevent attacks from the air. The base of the structure now set, I added low walls in the hollow of the fort that would allow ponies to pelt anypony who attempted to force their way in, as well as some murder holes to allow ponies on the battlements to add their own fire to force back intruders.

Next, I formed a gate wide enough for two ponies to pass abreast. Then as a final touch I most enjoyed, I carved the front facade of a large skull into the entryway, making it so that ponies would have to walk into its mouth in order to enter the structure.

The gathered children oohed and aahed as I finished the ice fort, and even many of the pegasi managing the weather flew closer to see my work. I turned to Gale with a smile. “I trust that will do?”

“Most impressive indeed.” Gale smiled and slapped me on the back. “I knew I was right to ask thine aid, my dear friend.”

I felt quite pleased with myself. “I thought such a fortification would make it easier to defend our flag, thus freeing up more troops for offense or as a reserve.” I motioned to the fort. “Not to mention we will be able to dominate the area around the fort. Anypony on the ground or not flying too hard will be vulnerable to the children garrisoning the fort.”

“Thou art quite correct,” Gale agreed. “This will been a great boon to our cause.”

“That was mine intention.” I rubbed my chin as a thought occurred to me. “And such a building needs a name. I shall call it ... Fort Deathskull!”

Gale narrowed her eyes in a flat look. “Neigh.”

“Neigh?” I tilted my head in confusion. Why would she ever object to such a perfect name? Then I realized what her objection must be. “Ah, of course. I shall pay proper homage to the clan's materfamlias with its name: Fort Shadowskull. ‘Tis only appropriate that I honor thy clan considering this is taking place at your clanhold.”

To my surprise, instead of expressing her pleasure at my consideration towards her sensibilities, she groaned and applied her hoof to her face.

“What?” I asked. “I would have considered Kickerskull or Skullkicker, but those names do not sound quite right to me for some reason.”

“Perhaps a name that does not involve skulls?” Gale asked warily.

I spoke patiently with Gale, for she must not have realized the obvious issue with that suggestion. “But I have already shaped the entire gate into a massive skull.”

Ash gave the fort a contemplative frown. “‘Tis terribly ... menacing.”

“More like ‘tis a place of evil,” Cobalt groused.

“‘Tis not evil.” I scowled at the unjustified complaints. “Fort Shadowskull is made of mere ice, and ice is not evil, so it cannot be evil. Not unless I did something like summon a dark spirit to possess the place and haunt the entire compound, roaming ‘twixt the houses looking for unsuspecting ponies to devour in the dead of night. Something I have not done yet. And of course ‘tis menacing—‘tis a fort, ‘tis intended to be so intimidating to one’s foes that they will never even consider assailing it.”

“Moving on,” Gale cut in quickly, “let us concentrate on defeating my husband.” She gleefully rubbed her hooves together. “He will rue the day he thought to challenge me...”

“Shall I inflict a terrible fate 'pon him?” I wished to be helpful to my friend, and doing something horrible to her husband sounded like something that would make her happy.

“I would take that as a great kindness.” Gale hugged me. “Truly, thou art the very best of friends.”

“One does try,” I murmured.

Disinterested in the two of us showing public affection for one another, the children moved forward to begin exploring the wonderful fort before them. ‘Twas not surprising they wanted to see the key to our victory over their foes, and ‘twould be good for them to familiarize themselves with our defenses.

I broke the hug so that we could return to more practical matters. “And with Fort Shadowskull completed, what shall I do in the upcoming battle?”

“Thou art a cryomancer,” Gale said simply. “This is a battle of snow. Do as thou wilt. I expect you know how best to employ your magic, and Dusk will have few counters to thine abilities.”

“Most likely so.” ‘Twas not difficult to imagine that a cryomancer would have a great many advantages during a snowball fight. I could already imagine a dozen ways I could grasp victory for Gale’s team. “I do not expect too many complications. It should be a trifle to rout a bunch of children.”

“I should imagine so, aye,” Gale agreed. “But enough of that. It seems that my husband wishes to speak with us.”

Dusk was indeed making his final approach as he flew to us. For once he was without his armor, and instead for a heavy, blue cloak to protect him ‘gainst the cold. He landed before us and took a long look at Fort Shadowskull. “And what is the meaning of this, my dear Gale?” His gaze fell ‘pon me and I saw something twinkle behind his eyes. “Ah, now I see what games thou art playing, my beloved.”

I decided ‘twould be best for me to remain out of the conflict ‘tween husband and wife when they were in each other's presence. Though I did have to wonder how Gale felt about Dusk complimenting me. Dusk was something of a notorious flirt.

Gale gave her husband a smile as sweet as honeyed hemlock. “The game that ends in thy destruction, dearest heart?”

Dusk smiled right back at his wife. “Thou wouldst go so far as bring thy lovely magus friend into a game intended for children? Surely that is a bit much, neigh?”

“I intend to win my victory,” Gale announced. “There is no higher honor than that.”

Dusk wrapped a wing around Gale’s back. “Come now, 'tis intended to be an even contest. Already lovely Midnight has created an unfair advantage. Not unless she gives my team its own fort.”

Gale smirked. “Who said the battlefield would always be fair? Not I. Indeed, how many fair battles canst thou name? ‘Twill teach the children how to deal with battles where not all is equal.”

“Neigh, but this is intended to be,” Dusk insisted.

“If you think you are not equal to the challenge...” Gale removed herself from her husband’s touch and turned her back to him. “I had thought thou wouldst revel in proving thy skill on the battlefield, but ‘twould seem that I have overestimated thee.”

Dusk scowled and he puffed out his chest. “Very well then, but do not think thy victory is assured.”

“Dearest husband.” Gale placed a hoof over her chest, a wide smirk on her lips. “We both know nothing is certain on the battlefield, but the advantage is clearly mine.”

“For now it is,” Dusk said. “But mind the precedent thou wouldst set.”

Gale’s eyes narrowed with suspicion. “And what is that to mean?”

Dusk smiled sweetly for his wife. “I shall see thee on the battlefield, my dearest beloved.”

“Not if I see thee first,” Gale shot back.

Dusk smirked. “I never fail to see a beautiful mare such as thyself.”

Gale rolled her eyes, but still, her demeanor could not quite hide the slight smile she had as Dusk trotted away from us. In fact, she kept right on staring as Dusk left.

“Gale?” I poked her side. “Gale? Art thou well? Gale?” I poked her again, more vigorously. “Gaaale? Gale? Gale?”

Gale’s eyes seemed glassy and unfocused as she spoke. “Aye?”

“Thou hast been staring off after thy husband for some time.”

The focus returned to Gale’s eyes and she blinked a couple of times. “He is somewhat upon my mind.”

“Aye, no doubt he plots for our ignoble downfall,” I said.

Gale cleared her throat and shook her head. “I would expect nothing less of him.”

“Then we were better to plot right back.” I looked out towards where Dusk’s flag sat. In order to win, we needed to take that flag, and take it back to our own.

Gale grinned with a baleful air. “I intend to.”

I grinned right back, and for some reason, the children around us shuddered.


The roaring call of a bugle announced the start of the contest. The traditional war song was met with calls and cheers of the children on both sides of the field, and the two opposing forces charged one another with youthful exuberance. Instead of this being a mere rabble of children, however, the heirs of the Kicker Clan has been organized into an army of its own right. Each child had been put into a squad, and each squad in turn had its own leaders, which served as part of platoons, and the platoons as companies. While they did not move forward with the discipline and rigidity that would be expected of a proper army, there was still an organization to the chaos that spread before me. Every squad even had a pony responsible for dragging a sled full of snowballs with them for ammunition.

The pegasi capable of flight streamed forward in their formations, and they were the first to make contact with the enemy. They darted around one another, maneuvering to smite each other with snowballs, using the clouds as covers, and using their pegasi magic to scoop snowballs out of the clouds to gather more munitions.

While most of the children gleefully charged into battle, I trotted towards the front at a more sedate pace. Traditionally speaking, magi did not lead from the front, as that task was best handled by warriors in heavy armor and wielding mighty weapons. Neigh, my talents were better served away from the thick of the melee.

Thus, I climbed a large mound of snow to see how the battle progressed and to best judge where to bring my skills to bear. Unsurprisingly, each side’s ground forces had met at about the halfway point of the battlefield. The children pelted one another with snowballs and one side or another began pushing the others line back. The children who were hit began the process of straggling back, having been eliminated for the round. Twin lines of red and blue pushed ‘gainst one another.

After a careful examination of the battlefield, I did not see any of the lines in an immediate threat of breaking. I decided to fix that.

I trotted directly towards the front. I decided that my first objective should be to remove Dusk’s forces from a large snowmound that dominated the halfway point of the left part of the field. It was badly stalling Gale’s troops from advancing, and I had the suspicion that Dusk would merely have this children stay on top of that mound and whittle down any forces sent against it while he concentrated his offence on our right. If that was the case, I had every intention of disrupting his plans.

Checking the sky every so often to make sure I didn't have a whole platoon of pegasi coming down upon my head, I made my final approach to my opposition’s defensive line. Gale’s reds were making a valiant effort of trying to make some headway. The braver among them charged the snowmound, threw their snowballs, and then ran as fast as they could. Shame ‘twas likely a hopeless effort; for every snowball thrown by Gale’s team, at least five were thrown by Dusk’s blues, and from a better position to do so. They had the advantage of using the snowmound for cover and did not have to run about to hit their targets. As things stood, a breakthrough here was unlikely.

That is where I came in. I stopped short of the Blues’ range, weighing how best to turn the tide. I decided on my course, and my horn glowed as I drew ‘pon my magic. I first created a sphere of pressurized air, then covered it with snow. Soon the sphere was as larger than I, and ready for my purposes.

With an effort of magic, I launched the large snowball into the air. As intended, it reached the apex of its arc and fell back towards the ground—right behind the protection the snowmound offered the Blues. A mere second before ‘twould have struck the ground, the magic holding the pressurized airball broke. The air pushed outwards in its natural attempts to even air pressure, and my snowball exploded. The Blues screamed with surprise as they were pelted by clumps of snow.

I smiled as I eliminated at least a dozen them with a single blow. Not content to give them the opportunity to rally and counter, I made another one of my snowballs and launched it a little bit further along the snowmound. Once again, my attack resulted in more shrieks.

Twice more I struck, making sure waves of snow overlapped one another ensure that luck could be the only reason anypony on that snowmound would remain unscratched.

Part of me felt sorry for the children that had been eliminated from their exercise. Several of them were arguing quite vigorously with the adult adjudicators of the exercise ‘bout the unfairness of the bombardment I had inflicted ‘pon them. Though based on the frowns of the adjudicators and the way they were pointing for the Blues to move themselves to the sidelines, their arguments fell on deaf ears.

Still, better they learn ‘bout the dangers of magi on the practice field than against warlocks or the spellcasters of other peoples. Being hit by a little bit of snow was far better than getting hit by a fireball that would burn your coat away and send the flesh underneath cracking and peeling until the body’s fat started to boil, where the best you can hope for is disfiguring scars that would last for the rest of your life. Truly, snow is much kinder.

As long as you are not crushed underneath it and then have to suffer from frostbite and starvation until the elements finally claimed you.

Aye, these children would be fine by the end of the day.

I turned my mind from such matters to concentrate on defeating the Blues. The children about me were still staring in wide-eyed amazement at my display of magic. Knowing that the advantage won would be lost if we did not act, I waved for them to move forward. “Charge!” I cried. “Their line is broken! Charge and take the hill!”

My words broke the charm they had been under, and they let out a cheer as they leapt into action. I went with them, determined to see the job through. Only sporadic fire met our advance. A couple of particularly brave (or mayhaps foolish) Blues flung snowballs down on us as fast they could throw them. One of them picked me as a target, but his attacks were in vain. It was barely an effort for me to snatch the snowball from the air with my magic and return it to its sender. The snowball struck the stunned colt on the chest, eliminating him as a threat. His compatriot fell soon after him as the children with me hit him with a volley of snowballs.

We reached the top of the snowmound and the children cheered at their victory. A lucky trio of Blues were racing down the opposite side of the slope in an attempt to retreat. Pity for them the children around me had their blood up and were determined not to let them escape so easily. The Reds threw their snowballs down the hill and struck down the routed Blues.

While the children of Gale’s team revelled in their victory, I concentrated on our next objective. Mine eyes examined the battlefield, and as I expected, I saw a counterattack gathering. Older Blues on the ground were making their way towards our position while a flight of skyborn pegasi were maneuvering for a dive ‘gainst the hill. ‘Twould not surprise me if Dusk had seen the danger to his battle line and had committed at least some of his reserves to pushing us back.

Seeing what was coming for us, I knew what needed to be done. “Children!” Several children were already running down the snowmound to chase after their foes, but I called out to them in the most commanding voice to halt them. “Spread out across the snowmound! The Blues are gathering for a counter-attack, and we must be ready to meet them!”

I worried that the children would not listen to me, for I was a stranger to them and Gale had not given me any official position in her pint-sized army. But whether ‘twas because I was an adult, that my instructions sounded wise to them, or because I carried a sufficiently commanding presence, they did my bidding. They scattered ‘bout the snowmound and began making piles of snowballs to meet their opponents.

Deciding to further entrench us, I summoned more of my magic and drew upon the snow drifting through the air to make a low wall along the ridge of the snowmound. The children readily saw the purpose of the wall and took position behind it. For myself, I piled scores of snowballs besides me.

The first threat to reach us were the Blue pegasi diving down through the low-hanging clouds. ‘Twas likely they planned to hit us at top speed, get behind where the snowmound would protect us, unleash their munitions when they reached the bottom of their dive, and then pull away before we could return effective fire. They would then gain altitude to hit us again so as to soften up our position for their ground forces.

Pity for them they were going up against a magus who knew their intentions.

The children shuffled ‘bout me, waiting to dodge out of the way of the snowballs they knew were coming. They needn't have worried; the Blues reached the nadir of their descent and loosed their snowballs. They streaked at us, only to splatter impotently against the shield I drew up to meet them.

Their munitions spent, the Blues pulled up to get away. ‘Twas at moment they slowed when I struck, dropping the shield and launching a wall of snowballs into their ranks. While some saw what was coming and made last-second dodges, the majority of their numbers were smitten. Their movements became jerky at the sudden interruption to their flights, and adjudicators moved in to announce that they had been eliminated for the round.

Once I was confident that their formation had been broken, I turned to the ground forces approaching us. ‘Twould not be long before their march would bring them within our range. There were about a hundred of them marching towards us; they outnumbered us better than five to one, and even with the advantage of defense, ‘twould be difficult for my fellow Reds to hold the snowmound.

An unsettling possibility came to me: if their leaders and warriors were made of stalwart stuff, they could approach the edge of our throwing range and then order a charge. While they would likely suffer significant casualties from the attack, they would quickly be ‘pon us, negating our height advantage and would simply swamp us with their numbers in such a melee. That assumed the morale of the children about me even held. Being charged by a superior force could easily cause them to flee in fear of being struck down by compact balls of frozen water.

‘Twas a good thing I was here to keep that from happening, then. Seeing no reason not to keep using something that was obviously working, I created three more of my large exploding snowballs and then waited.

As I suspected they would, the Blues stopped short of our effective throwing range. Their leaders shouted encouragement for their charge, and with a chop of one of the youngsters’ hooves, they ran forward in a wave.

I waited until they came well within our range before I struck, unleashing my three snowballs into their ranks. Right as they flew over the Blues’ formation, they exploded and peppered the children below with snow. Great holes were torn through their ranks, and their advance faltered. To their credit, some of the Blues kept up the charge, and the leaders who had survived the wintery cataclysm tried to rally them, but ‘twas a doomed venture.

The Reds on the snowmound unleashed their snowballs. The Blues that ran out ahead of their fellows only made themselves more outstanding targets. To my pleasure, the children standing with me then took special pains to strike down the leaders among the Blues’ ranks.

‘Twas too much for the Blues. Their ranks broke from the casualties and in a confused rout, they turned to run away from the destruction wrought ‘pon them.

My blood raced at the sight, and a queer, exhilarating feeling rose within me. An opportunity opened up before me. Fear was a contagion that could easily spread to others. If we pressed now, we might be able to roll up Dusk’s entire line, or even push to his flag.

“Children, charge!” I leapt over the snow wall and waved to them. “Victory is before us! Drive them from the field!”

The Red screamed their battle cries and followed down the hill. The few Blues who had not yet fled quickly found themselves overwhelmed. I grinned as I scooted up snowballs with my magic and stuck one panicked child after another. Few Blues tried to fight back, and ‘twas a trifle to block their attacks with my shields and hit them back. The counterattack had been broken, my fellow Reds were on the attack, and I had rarely felt so invigorated in my life.

Now all what needed to be done was—

“Please do not smite me!” a shrill voice cried out.

I paused at the sudden call for mercy. Looking down, I saw a filly, with a yellow coat and an azure mane, about twelve years of age if I had to guess. She was blocking her face with her legs in a vain attempt to protect herself from the snowball I held ready. When she was not immediately smitten, she slowly opened her eyes to look at me. She looked up at me, her lips puckered, making her appear to be the most pitiful creature in the world to me.

As I stared down at the poor, innocent, filly, I could not help but think that mayhaps I was taking all of this too far. This was an exercise intended for children, after all. What chance did they stand ‘gainst a royal magus? Especially one with a talent in cryomancy such as myself? All they would learn was that a magus of exceptional power, training, and ability could crush them into the dirt. What type of lesson would that be? Mayhaps there were beings in the world which stood little to no chance of victory of beating and all they can hope is to avoid the attention of such beings before their short and impermanent lives were snuffed out, but that struck me as an obvious fact of life.

Neigh, mayhaps I should take a different approach to all of this. I need not terrorize the children. ‘Twas not as though I needed to do much to aid Gale. Her pride would be saved as long as she won more of the rounds than her husband. ‘Twould not even be that difficult; a little bit of aid here and there should be enough to give Gale’s teams the victories she desired. I hardly needed to batter the Blues into submission. As I thought about it, the wisest course would be to—

My ruminations were interrupted when the filly whipped a snowball out from behind her back and smote me. I blinked in surprise as the snow caked off my muzzle, my mouth agape at the sudden, unprovoked attack. The filly’s response to her act of treachery was to laugh in childlike glee and flee after her compatriots.

For a time all I could do was huff with indignation. The duplicitous filly had begged me for mercy, and I was in the process of giving it. Then what had she done in response? She smote me! Smote me in the most honorless fashion imaginable. How dare she?!

“T-thou vile little rascal!” I shook my hoof at her. “Thou disreputable, craven, dishonorable blackguard! Thine actions would make a reiver applaud thee! Thou art a fiend with nothing but low cunning, a depraved mind, and a heart made of obsidian! Thou art the type of foul creature that makes wars all the more terrible! Warlocks learn from thine example! I denounce thee before all as a—”

I was cut off when a snowball hit me on ‘gainst the side of my head. I snapped my head in the direction the snowball, intent on using crack my tongue at whomever had struck me. My mouth opened but my tongue became twisted ‘pon seeing whom I had intended using it ‘gainst.

Lady Protector Shadow stood before me, a faint smile creasing one side of her lips. “I believe thou hast already been eliminated, Magus. Please remove thyself to the sidelines, if thou wilt.”

“B-But that little scoundrel!” I protested.

Shadow’s only response was to scoop another snowball before giving me a level look. “Wilt thou act like a proper magus and remove thyself from the field, or must I correct thee again?”

I ground my teeth together as I took a moment to think the matter over. She was right—I had been eliminated for the round, and ‘twould be most undignified and set a poor example for the children for me not to step aside and let the contest go as it will. However much I might wish to smite that little filly right back for her loathsome deception. Besides, I found it disagreeable to be smitten with snowballs. Especially to correct my behavior.

I curtseyed to one of the most powerful ponies of the realm. “Lady Shadow.” I turned around and headed to the sidelines.

I may have lost this round, but I would have my vengeance before the day was out.


“A bag of candy to the one who eliminates this most vile of fiends!” I called to the children around me. I created an illusion of the filly who had so treacherously taken advantage of my goodwill that they might know of their target in the upcoming round.

“‘Most vile of fiends’?” Gale trotted up to me, no doubt to lay claim to the bounty I had offered. We had ended up winning the last round, at least. Even without me to drive the attack, Dusk’s flank had collapsed and he hadn't been able to stop the momentum of our attack until we had taken his flag.

“She tricked me in the most devious of ways.” I moved the illusion closer to Gale. “She pretended to surrender, only to ambush me when I let my guard down. Truly, there is no greater blackguard this day.”

Gale frowned, evidently not recognizing the gravity of the matter. “She is only a child, Midnight.”

“Aye.” I nodded gravely. “I shudder to think what terrible evils she will enact once she becomes of age. If I were thee, I would keep a wary eye ‘pon that one. She is the type of pony they write tales about to warn little fillies and colts about the evil that lies in the hearts of ponies, and how those that seem innocent today can harbor evil within their hearts.”

Gale gave me a flat, unamused look. “Midnight, I think thou art becoming too upset o'er a trifling matter.”

“Trifling?!” I gasped. “Mine honor and dignity have been wounded. Wounded, I say! I cannot allow such a thing to pass without comment.”

Gale rolled her eyes. “A harmless bit of childish perfidy. I am sure she meant no insult by it.”

I huffed as mine annoyance grew. “All I wish to do is put a bounty on her head in order to even the scales. Is that so much to ask for? I think she has earned that much retaliation for her actions.”

Gale sighed. “As thou wilt.”

Pleased that Gale was content to allow me to do as I willed, I turned to other matters. “Hm, and I think ‘twould be wise for me to expand Fort Shadowskull.”

Gale frowned as she looked up at the fortification. “The fort seems quite sufficient as it is.”

“Aye, but 'tis only sufficient,” I said. “It could be greater. With a curtain wall, and the keep raised to make it harder to assail.”

“Art thou certain that such expansions would not be excessive?”

I tilted my head. “How can a fort be excessive?”

Gale waved vaguely at Fort Shadowskull. “For one, it could be so large we do not have forces to properly garrison it.”

I frowned in thought. “I had not really considered that. Very well. I will seek quality instead of mere quantity.”

Taking a moment to consider what I was going to do, I once again drew heavily ‘pon my magic. Soon Fort Shadowskull started growing, adding a full door to the structure to allow its defenders to dominate a larger area of the battlefield. The skull that outlined the gate grew outwards, becoming a proper gatehouse from which to deter intruders rather than mere decoration.

Deciding to add to the aesthetics of Fort Shadowskull, I added great spikes to the walls and towers. Next, I crafted a series of gargoyles—big, hulking brutes of ice intended to intimidate anypony that might think to approach it.

I turned to Gale, smiling as I expected her praise for the improvements to our defenses. Instead, what I got was long sigh and a sad shake of her head. “Well, at least there aren't any skulls howling out the screams of the damned,” she lamented.

I quirked an eyebrow at my friend’s confusing reaction. “Neigh, that would distract our warriors and make it more difficult for them to hear intruders and orders from their own leaders”

“Yes, that is the main reason not to add such a feature,” Gale said dryly.

“Obviously,” I concurred. “I am glad we agree on that point.” Really, as if I would waste my efforts on something that would not aid our cause.

“Now onto other matters.” I raised one of my forelegs, and cast a spell Corva had taught me to summon the ravens. Several birds from the growing unkindness that was taking roost in Fort Shadowskull flocked down to me. King Corvus Corax of the Great Unkindness, Punisher of the Wicked, Bringer of Justice to the Perfidious, Master of the Great Treasures of Ravenkind, and High Lord of the Council of the Great Unkindness landed upon my leg. Three ravens of the Magnanimous and Magnificent Council of the Great Unkindness landed on my back, while the remaining three made perches on Gale’s back. It mystified me why, but she actually tensed at being so favored by the greatest of the ravenkind.

I cleared my throat and spoke in the raven tongue. “Noble ravens, I wish for you to find this one for me.” I recreated the illusion of the filly.

King Corax bowed to me. “But of course, Raven Queen. Your will shall be done. Shall we punish her for you?

After a moment's consideration, I shook my head. “Neigh, for now merely watch her and tell her what awaits her when I find her on the battlefield.

Gale looked at the Ravens on her back and spoke warily. “Midnight, what art thou planning?”

“For the unkindness to find the blackguard who tricked me last time, and to herald my coming.” Aye, I would not have to wait long to sate my vengeance.

“Death!” cawed King Corax.

“Pain!” agreed one of the councilors.

“Doom!” cried another.

“Such noble, loyal birds,” Corva whispered within my mind.

I nodded to the ravens. “Aye, exactly so.”

And then there will be corn?” A hopeful light sparked in King Corax’s black eyes.

After a moment of consideration, I smiled. “Aye, and then there will be corn.”

The ravens cawed as one. “Raven Queen! Raven Queen! Cornbringer!” They flapped their wings and took flight to do as I bid.

My smile spread, and Gale grimaced and averted her eyes. “Excellent. Now I am ready for the next round of this battle, my friend.”


The bugle made its call to battle once more, and Reds and Blues charged forth to meet one another. Their cheers were every bit as enthusiastic as before, and the Reds around me charged forward with youthful energy. ‘Twas an infectious mood, and one I drank in as I trotted forward in their wake.

I looked ahead through the steadily falling snow and saw what I desired. A score of ravens were circling over a specific portion of the right side of the field. Even at this distance, I could hear them heralding mine arrival with their caws: “Death! Death! Death!”

Excellent, my ravens had found the evil little filly who had so humiliated me last round. But before I could move in her direction, somepony whose voice I recognized called out. “Hold a moment, if thou wouldst.”

I looked up, and to my mild surprise, General Dusk flittered down towards me. His presence made me wonder how he had managed to bypass my fellow Reds to appear before me. Well, it probably mattered little how he had done it compared to fact he was here.

“Ah, you would have yourself eliminated so early, General Dusk?” I scooped up some snowballs. This was most fortunate. If I could eliminate Dusk, then I would remove the head of the Blues and clinch an early victory this round.

Dusk landed before me and smiled confidently, seeming to be utterly unconcerned with the fact I was ‘bout to smite him. “I would have words with thee, my lovely Midnight.”

I blinked slowly. My curiosity had now been sparked. What were his intentions? I narrowed mine eyes. “If you would have me betray Gale, then your breath is wasted.”

Dusk shook a hoof to dismiss the idea. “Perish the thought. I merely wished to speak with thee. Civilly.”

“I do not think this is the time.” Still, I lowered the snowballs in my magic, a little bit. “I should destroy you now, and then your army. I have my vengeance to obtain.”

“Ah, such fury from such a beautiful mare.” He growled deeply in his throat. “'Tis most becoming.”

I frowned as my confusion only grew at his strange behavior. “Becoming?”

“Oh yes.” Dusk grinned and approach closer. “Thou art most comely. I cannot help but be drawn to a mare with such fire in her belly and passion in her lovely eyes.”

I blinked in surprise. Was he actually flirting with me?! Nopony did that. Certainly not a stallion like Dusk. I mean, he was a pony of such distinguished birth. He had earned a great title and become one of Equestria’s most capable generals. Indeed, he was one of the finest warriors in Her Highness’ service. And ... he was quite pleasing to the eye. He was a large, strong, and muscular stallion, with his features having a cavalier and roguish quality to them that could make mares and stallions swoon. Especially with that fine mustache of his. ‘Twas unthinkable that such a fine pegasus as he would have any interest in me, and if Gale would but open her eyes, she would see how lucky she was.

“I ... w-what does that have to do with me smiting you with snowballs?” I stumbled out, finding myself strangely flustered.

“Nothing at all.” Dusk stepped close enough that we could almost touch one another. “I just thought it bore mentioning that thou art an exceptionally lovely young mare.” He gave me a smile so charming that it made my heart skip a beat. “'Twill be an honor to be smitten by thee.”

“Bu-but—you are a married stallion!” I protested. “You should not be saying such things to your wife’s friend.”

“I am, but a married stallion can still appreciate beauty when he sees it.” He came close enough so that he could gently cup my cheek. “And thou art beautiful indeed.”

My cheeks burned. Never before had I experienced such compliments. “I s-should be smiting you right now for your wife's pleasure.”

Dusk locked eyes with me and leaned in so that our mouths nearly touched. “And what of thy pleasure, my lovely?”

“I, this is, um, aye, neigh, um—bwa?” I tried to form a complete sentence, or even actual words, but in a rare instance, my brain and mouth utterly failed me. It felt as though I should do something—anything—but ‘twas as though every part of me was locked up. I was left unable to think or move as my heart beat strong within my chest.

For a moment, as he leaned yet closer, I thought he was going to kiss me, but then his mouth moved to my ear to whisper softly. “Mine apologies, lovely magus.” Before I could figure out what he meant, a snowball connected with the back of my skull.

I blinked and took a step from him, the charm he had wrought over me broken. “D-Dusk?!”

“A thousand apologies, my dear.” Dusk bowed graciously to me, wiping a few flecks of snow from his hoof. “But thou art eliminated from the round. Know that this has brought me no pleasure, but my first duty is to the children serving under me. While my heart yearns for thee, it cannot be argued that thou art a force which my forces cannot stand ‘gainst. So when it becomes a contest ‘tween one's heart and duty, often the heart must give way.”

My mouth worked wordlessly as I tried to form a reply. Part of me knew I should have been furious with him for the deceit, but he was just so gracious and ... stirred up feelings within me that I could not readily explain. Before I could sort through those feelings, a new yet very familiar voice pierced the moment.

“Dusk, what art thou doing?!” Gale landed before us, her nostrils flaring.

Dusk’s reply to his wife was to smite her as well. So great was her choler that by the time she realized his ploy, the snowball had already splattered against her chest.

Dusk grinned as he took flight. “Mine apologies, but if you two lovely ladies will excuse me, I have a battle to win.” He made off as quickly as he could, not that I could blame him with the way his wife was stomping at the ground in indignation.

“I truly do hate that stallion sometimes,” Gale growled.

I mumbled a response to her fuming, scrapping a hoof through the snow.

Gale frowned. “Art thou blushing?”

I turned my face from her. “I ... um ... yes.”

Gale sniffed dismissively and lifted her chin. “Aye, ‘tis most embarrassing to have been undone by his scheming. I did not expect him to slip behind our lines and target us directly. ‘Twas a bold move.” While she had spoken with nothing but contempt for her husband, a hint of admiration crept into her tone. “Impressive, e’en.”

I mumbled out an agreement.

My friend sighed and growled. “Well, it seems he has won this stage of the clash, but the battle is far from over.”