• Published 14th Jun 2016
  • 5,929 Views, 157 Comments

Nex, Gladiator - That_Random_Pony



A tormented soul in a world of magic and monsters. But who are the monsters? Him, or THEM?

  • ...
22
 157
 5,929

Chapter 16

"Why we come back?" Nex grunted, sniffing the delectable apples in the trees. "Apple pony no like me."

"That's not true," Twilight assured him, explaining what "true" meant. "You just got off on the wrong foot." He tilted his head again. "You could have met her better."

He lifted his head when he heard a sharp crack. Twilight looked towards the house ahead of them, then to the barn. She spotted Big Mac chopping wood at the side of the red building, worrying if the two would try anything rash. Unfortunately, the red stallion happened to look over while taking a breather. Nex also looked over and saw him, which prompted him to growl lowly while Big Mac glared.

"It's okay, Nex," Twilight whispered, putting on a smile to calm the red stallion. "Just be nice and nothing will happen." His growl quieted down, and he hunched back over and walked with her.

Big Mac rose his brow as the two made their way to the Apple residence. He dug the axe into the tree stump he was cutting wood on and headed over. Ever since their encounter, he didn't like the hairless creature. Well, he didn't like to know that it was around town. Or on his family's property. Somepony, or something, wearing a mask had something to hide. And he didn't like strangers keeping secrets. Especially when they were just about ready to brawl.

Twilight knocked on the door and waited for Applejack. The lock unlatched and the door creaked open. Nex rose a brow at the sight of the old green mare squinting to see them, but she smiled in a way that confused him. "Oh, Princess! What brings ya by?" she asked, glancing up at the behemoth. "And who's yer friend?"

"Granny Smith, this is Nex," she hesitantly said. "Nex, this is Applejack's grandmare." He nodded softly. "Sorry, he doesn't really talk much around new ponies."

The elderly mare waved her hand dismissively. "Oh, ah know the feelin'" she mused. "Come on in, Ah'm sure Applejack'll be back any second."

"Where'd she go?" Twilight asked, guiding Nex into the kitchen.

"Oh, somethin' about varmints in the east fields," she snapped, slowly sitting in her rocking chair. "Now ah told her t' bring her brother, but she just don't listen about danger. Thinks she's all big and-" she ranted before falling asleep in her chair. Nex let out something like a cough, then rose his brow at the old mare.

"She weird," he concluded quietly.

"Well... I guess we can find Applejack now." She made Nex creep out with her before heading off to find the orange mare. "Nex, please be nice or be quiet. Applejack has to know that you're a good... guy."

He snorted, then hunched over again. "No care what she think... no care no pony think." Twilight sighed softly and touched his arm, gaining a questioning glare.

"Nex, some things should matter, even if it's from somepony you don't like," she softly rebutted. "We want to help you, and even though she isn't going about it correctly, Applejack does know one thing. You still have to change... but they have to understand it's not gonna happen fast."

He stared silently as he mulled over her words, then turned forward and grunted. "...I try... nice." Twilight smiled and give him a small smile, just before a loud howl sounded.

Nex locked up immediately, his eyes darting between the trees as he searched for anything moving. Another howl, farther off, replied to the first, and Nex realized they were just finding one another. "...they're in the Everfree. They won't come all the way out here!" Twilight quickly said.

He pulled her hand away from his shoulder and exhaled. "I know... just get scared," Nex told her.

"Don't know why they're all riled up," came a country girl's voice. Applejack dropped down from a tree and closed the telescope she'd been using. "Thought it'd be some Timberwolves, but somethin' bigger passed by." She gestured to the claw marks on the trees, some oozing sap. "Ruined some o' the best macintosh apple trees we had! Gonna wrangle the fella when ah catch him."

Nex ran his fingers across the marks, sniffing and tasting for anything familiar. There was one thing that tasted similar, but he shook his head and went to the other trees. The marks were too deep for a Timberwolf, but finite enough to not be a manticore. In fact... it didn't even seem like a natural cut.

"See something?" Twilight asked, examining the gouges in the tree. "It must have been a manticore... but why would it be out here?"

"No manticore." The mares glanced at him curiously. "...manticore no make cuts like this... no animal... no know."

Applejack shrugged. "Maybe it was a bear. Maybe even Fluttershy's bear." She looked over to Twilight. "So what brings ya all the way out here?"

The studious mare straightened up and tugged Nex closer. "We want to make it up to you after yesterday's... gathering," she said, murmuring out the last bit. "Nex can help you with the apples if you want. And I'll be around to take care of him."

She lifted her stetson up and examined the abnormal biped. He didn't have a huge build like Big Mac, but even she couldn't deny that he had a work-pony's build, at the very least. With a sigh, she waved for them to follow and groaned, "Alright. You keep him from taking more apples and make sure he don't try breaking anything else."

"Of course," she nodded. "Nex, you're gonna help Applejack work today." A small growl began growing, but it stopped when she hardened her expression. "You weren't nice yesterday, so now you have to make up for it."

His snarl died down slowly, and Twilight knew why when he tilted his head. "Make... up?"

"You have to earn her forgiveness," she explained. "You have to help her before she says it's okay. Okay?"

He huffed softly, but nodded reluctantly. "What Nex do?"

Applejack bucked a tree, causing a loud crack to ring out. Nex was startled but clenched his body instead of leaping in fright. He saw the apples in the tree fall into buckets surrounding its trunk, until they were all filled over. She took a pair and lifted them up, followed by Big Mac.

"Come on, now. Grab some and haul 'em down to the barn," she ordered, lugging the buckets without much struggle.

Twilight led him over to the baskets of apples and grabbed the smaller ones. "Take apples... where?" Nex questioned.

"Grab those last two and we'll show you," she said. He lifted the two buckets of apples and followed her through the orchard. "Applejack makes money selling these apples, and it doesn’t help when someone or something eats them. It’s not easy, Nex.”

He looked down the path to the bright red barn near the hill. “Apple pony… no happy.”

“That means she’s upset,” Twilight told him. “It’s not nice when you make someone upset, Nex. That’s why we’re helping her.”

She watched him lower his head and breathe slowly. It was funny to watch, because it was his way of showing that he was thinking. “Help… help when up-set… and they no upset?” Twilight nodded softly and gave him a reassuring smile. “Apple pony no like me… I help… she like me?”

“W-Well… it’s a good start to her liking you,” Twilight said, giving him the best smile she could muster. It faltered a bit as he stared her down, but he ultimately grunted and looked forward. “C’mon, Nex, even you don’t trust them. No one’s gonna like you all of a sudden.”

He growled lowly, earning him a slight nudge. “I help… go home later.”

It was becoming a bad habit of his. He didn’t like going around when there were people awake. She was starting to think he just didn’t want to go outside. “Alright, we’ll head back after lunch. Okay?”

“Okay.” They reached the barn, then dropped off the buckets before following the siblings back into the orchards.

Neither felt easy with his presence, and Mac felt especially wary when he saw the collar around his neck. Applejack paid it no mind, kicking the apples out of the trees for her helpers to haul off before her. Nex kept sniffing some of them, tossing bad ones to the sides as he walked. It would help make sure they didn’t have to sort through them later to find the bruised or smushed apples. Even if he was a creature made to fight, he worked pretty hard. Considering his size, he worked almost as hard as her brother, and nearly hauled as much as him, too. She still kept her guard up, as did Mac, but she could ease her work a bit with him trying his hardest.

And then Twilight was too tired to keep up with him. She didn’t leave him alone to work, but she couldn’t carry the buckets herself any more. Her magic had initially scared Nex until he saw her carrying the bushels to the barn. She picked up on his more stiff movements when he was near her, leading her to believe he wasn’t as unafraid of unicorns as he’d led on. If that was true, which she prayed she was wrong about, she would have to get him used to unicorns using their magic without him attacking. The fact that it was her using magic must have also kept him easy instead of alert. It was strange to see him so aware, as if he was going to be ambushed at any second.

It wasn’t long before the afternoon rolled around. Applejack groaned as she stretched out her arms, Twilight and Big Mac bringing in the next few buckets. “Alright, Applejack. I think I’m gonna take Nex home now,” Twilight yawned. “He’s getting hungry. And I still need to teach him to read some more.”

Her friend shook her head with a laugh. “This must be a dream come true for you, Twilight,” Applejack laughed, taking her stetson off. “Teaching someone like this and all.”

“It’s to help him,” she said with a small laugh. “And besides, he gets really into it when we get past an hour.” Nex came in and dropped off a bucket, then started heading off. “Nex! We’re leaving now.”

He kept walking, as if he didn’t hear her. “Nex!” Applejack called. She had the same result as the alicorn, the two looking to each other awkwardly. “Is his hearing okay?”

“Yes… well… he hasn’t shown any signs of hearing loss.” Twilight started after him, running to catch up before she lost him in the fields. She caught up and grabbed his arm, but he still ignored her. “Nex, come on! You said you wanted to go ho- WHOA!”

She tripped and fell on her face, groaning as she got back onto her feet. Nex had jumped at the sound of her shout, and he came over to help her up. “You no walk right?” he huffed, setting down the basket.

“Nex, I was calling you,” Twilight groaned, wiping the grass off her skirt.

He blankly stared at her and snorted. “You no call.” She furrowed a brow and looked at him closely, trying to see any sort of sign he was lying.

“Nex, I called you. And Applejack.” He shook his head again, then scratched his neck as he waited.

We both called him and he couldn't hear us… maybe this has to do with the rest of him?

He grunted to get her attention. “Alright… we're heading home now. Just put those baskets back in the barn.” She grabbed one and started back with him, the apple siblings waiting as they chatted.

The room got quiet as Nex placed the empty basket by the fuller ones, his eyes jumping back and forth between what he was doing and who he needed to watch. Twilight tugged nervously on his leash to keep him moving, even as he growled low enough for only her to hear. She nervously laughed in an attempt to ease him, and as she did something in his spine began to move, cutting the laugh short. Big Mac noticed and straightened out, which Nex recognized subconsciously. Before any more could go on, the barn door opened and everypony, and Nex, glanced back. Applejack nearly jumped to her feet when Applebloom walked in carrying a bucket.

“Applejack, Granny said ah-!” Applebloom gawked at the behemoth in front of her, it's mask boring holes into her.

Twilight's hand clutched the leash firmly as Nex froze up, the crawling under his skin continuing. With his back turned to the Apples, they could see the machinery activating under his skin.

“W-Who’re you?” she shakily asked, looking to her siblings as they started towards them.

Nex blocked out the sounds of the coming ponies as he stared down at the little girl. She barely passed his waist, and she looked so… innocent. He remembered others like her… what they were before they were thrown into the Pit. So many faces like hers; afraid of what they would become… or what would become of them. The reinforced metals making their way to cover his bones stopped as his blood pressure leveled, and he kneeled down to see her. She was afraid… but he could see the young curiosity in her eyes as well. Not unlike those of his Pit.

“I… Nex.” Twilight's grip loosened, and her mouth opened slightly. “Who… you?”

Applebloom saw the leaves in his hair, prompting her to guess he had been helping. If her brother and sister let him help on the farm, they must have trusted him. “I-I’m Applebloom, mister.” Her fear faded as she gave an awkward smile, then glanced to her sister. “Granny said ah could, uh, help with the orchard,” she nervously laughed, holding up the bucket.

Big Mac glanced to Applejack before getting up and grabbing a basket. “Alright. Come on, now.”

Applebloom lit up as she rushed out of the barn with her brother behind her. “See ya, Mr. Nex!” Applebloom called, waving to him as she left with Mac.

Applejack grimaced as the movement under his skin reversed direction, and he started breathing more evenly. “Nex… are you okay?” Twilight asked. He hadn't stopped staring at the door, but nodded in acknowledgement. “You… you don't usually talk to someone you don't know.” He grunted, then turned to Applejack. She stared him down for a minute before he turned and started out, tugging for Twilight to follow. “Um…we'll see you soon, AJ.”

They rushed out of the barn and down the path to Ponyville. She looked to him as he kept in front of her, ignoring passing eyes as he made his way back to the library. The way he froze up when Applebloom walked in was awfully similar to when he saw Fluttershy's wings. Twilight didn't want to risk any sort of attack on her friend's little sister, which would probably cross out any sort of chance for Nex to integrate into society. His body had been readying him for something… and she shivered at the thought.

But… he opened up… for the first time he'd been in Ponyville he responded to someone without hesitation. It was Applebloom, sure, but for him to open up so willingly… so quickly… it had to be something about her. She was young… or was it her appearance? Maybe somepony he knew looked like her? If he could lower his guard for her… maybe she could help with more personal inquiries she had. Assuming Nex didn't draw a line somewhere along the way.

“Nex.” He glanced back and grunted. “At the barn your body was doing something. What was that?”

He slowed down to walk beside her, glancing back and forth between passing people. “Apple ponies earth… strong ponies. Make bone harder. Let me fight.” Her eyes trailed down the side of his head to a cut in his hair. It was a precise trail… a testament to what had been done to him.

“You… you weren't gonna fight them… right?” He kept silent as they reached the library and went in. Before he could head up the steps, he felt the collar unlatch from his neck. Turning to her, Nex watched as she sat down and rubbed her head.

He crouched down near the upper floor to keep hidden. She'd never done this before. It was strange to see her sitting around aimlessly. Usually she had her head in a book, or she would be making his lessons for the day. His ears perked as she let out a weak laugh and sighed.

“I'm trying, princess. I really am. He just doesn't trust anyone… and he probably hates us.” Twilight brushed her hair back and rested her head on the couch. “At least he's learning… it's one thing I can do right.”

Nex crawled his way up the steps and creeped to his room. He looked to all the books surrounding his bed and Twilight's. His gaze found itself looking to a doll beside her pillow. He peered over to the door and listened out for Twilight, waiting for a few seconds to make sure she wasn't coming. The little doll was horribly made, and it looked like something his old rags could make. Twilight wasn't a filly. She was a young mare… so why did she have a toy? He examined it thoroughly before he saw letters on one of its feet. There weren't many, but he struggled to remember how they were pronounced.

“‘To… my… Twi-lie. M-Mom-my.’” He kept examining it, then froze as a purple hand gently guided the doll away from him.

“‘To my Twily. Mommy.’” His gaze fell slowly, blankly aimed to the bed. “This is my Smarty Pants doll. My mom gave it to me when I was a filly… it was for my birthday.” She smiled as she held the little doll, then placed it on her bedside. Nex stood up and moved past her to his bed. “We can start the next lesson, if you want to.”

“Want alone… no read.” He laid on his side with his back to her. She sighed again and headed for the door.

“I'll be downstairs,” she softly told him. He snorted loudly, and she left.

He thought back to the little girl from the barn. She was the other Apple sibling… but she didn't have the same thoughts and actions as an adult. Certainly nothing like her brother and sister. It was what made teaching the younglings so easy… how their fear of the pain made them open to anything that could help them. The little Apple… Applebloom, would never be in that predicament. She looked so normal… so free and untainted. So many had been that way… and they all had to put that aside to survive.

He had watched them become monsters… like him.

Author's Note:

This is a bit late for today, but I'm updating anyway! Just a reminder, this is the last chapter I'll have for this day to day update spree, so expect a couple of lulls between chapters. Anyway! Hope you guys enjoyed the chap, and as always, remember to like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!