• Published 14th Jun 2016
  • 5,952 Views, 157 Comments

Nex, Gladiator - That_Random_Pony



A tormented soul in a world of magic and monsters. But who are the monsters? Him, or THEM?

  • ...
22
 157
 5,952

Chapter 15

Nex lifted his head from the table as Pinkie skipped over to him, her hands behind her back. He eyed her cautiously until she pulled out two rolls of streamer. "Here!" She gave him a blue roll. "Nex, I'm gonna teach you how to set up a party!"

He stared curiously at her, then down to the streamer. "What do with this?" he asked, pulling a piece off and examining it.

"That's the fun part!" she giggled. He watched her aim up at the beams above them, then threw the roll between some. "See? It's easy!"

She cut the piece off and threw it up again, decorating the shop with long pink strips of streamer. Nex looked down to his roll again, then aimed up at the beam. He launched it as hard as he could, causing it to wildly bounce above until it ran out. The roll was flung at him, and he grunted softly when it hit his head. Before he could growl, another pair of streamers were planted in his hands. Pinkie smiled and tossed several rolls around, jumping to catch some and cut wherever she could.

This time, Nex threw his streamers a bit softer, spreading green and yellow throughout the shop. "Whew! This takes forever!" Pinkie laughed, rushing over to the stairs. Nex stopped to watch her lug a large cannon off the stairs. "This is my party cannon! For emergency parties... and when I get a little tired."

She appeared behind him, to his fright, and put earmuffs over his small ears. In another second, she was behind her cannon and lit the fuse. He waited in confusion as the light petered out, then the cannon fired. A muffled ring rattled him as confetti and streamers shot out, finishing their decorations off with some balloons. Nex saw Pinkie giggling and talking at the speed of light, but still couldn't hear her. She waited for him to say something, but he just stared at her. Realizing her goof, she smiled with a bit of embarrassment before pulling off his muffs.

"When we're done with how the party looks, we have to make sure nopony's tummy gets empty! Because what's a party without food!" She licked her lips and skipped over to the stairs.

Rainbow and Fluttershy came down with a long piece of paper, which Nex ignored as he lowly growled at the two. Pinkie pulled him over as Twilight and Applejack carried down sweets and punch. The party mare tossed a couple of trays to Nex, who barely reacted as he caught the first with his mouth and the others with his hands and arms. Twilight expected him to do something violent, but he stumbled over to a booth and set the items down carefully. Rarity gave her a small gesture to relax while her magic assorted the messy decorations of their guest.

"Alrighty, there's a cake in the kitchen," Applejack said, heading behind the counter. "Ya'll remembered the music, right?"

"Oh, oh! I did!" Pinkie called, reaching under a table. She pulled out a ridiculously large stereo and a turntable, then set them onto the counter. "Nex, this is the most important part of a party!"

He turned from the table, a muffin stuffed into his mouth. "Foo hoh eh-howhan? (Food no important?)" he asked through his mouthful.

"Yeah, but this is what a party's all about!" Pinkie exclaimed, plugging in the turntable and playing a track. Vibrant and cheerful music started to play, startling him with its sudden intensity. He fumbled as Pinkie pulled him around and laughed joyfully. "Dancing makes the party!" she shouted over the music.

Twilight watched Pinkie pull him around, not a clue in the world of what he could be thinking. But he was trying to go along with it, and he looked like he was enjoying it. "So... what now?" Rainbow asked, hovering beside them.

For once, Twilight had an answer she didn't normally use. "Just have fun," she shrugged, heading to the bowl of punch and serving herself a cup. "It's a party, right?"

Rainbow smirked a bit before dragging Applejack to where Pinkie and Nex were, the farm girl slowly getting into the groove of things as she casted wary glances over to their guest of honor. "At least some of us are relaxing," Rarity told the purple mare. "It's better than her larger parties, at least."

Fluttershy ate a muffin beside them as she bobbed her head to the uplifting music. "I think it's so kind of Pinkie to have a private party," she said, repeating it into their ears because of the music. "I hope Nex likes it."

Nex's feet tripped and stumbled over each other as he tried following Pinkie's steps. As he looked up to her, he stopped suddenly and stared at the banner the pegasi had put up. Pinkie bumped into him and fell with a giggle before jumping back up. "Whatcha lookin' at?"

He pointed to the banner, trying his best to read what it said. "Wel...comb... toe... Pon-i-ville..." Pinkie giggled and patted his head.

"No, silly! It says, 'Welcome to Ponyville!'" He looked at the banner for another minute and turned to her.

"What... 'welcome' mean?"


Several Hours Later…




"Nex, come on." The gladiator groaned as he pulled himself off of the booth seat, his jaw opening in a yawn. "Everypony left."

"Ponies... home?" he groaned, cracking his neck.

Twilight nodded, holding his arm as she helped him stand. "Yes, they're home. And they're probably asleep." He nodded and looked around, noticing the lack of a mess. "The girls and I cleaned up when you fell asleep. Pinkie just went upstairs to sleep. We should get going, too." She covered her mouth in a yawn, rubbing her weary eyes.

"You tired." They walked outside and made their way to her home, the two groggily stumbling every now and then. "Twilight."

"Yes?"

She looked up at him, though he kept his gaze forward. "...party... nice."

A sigh left her, then a giggle broke the silence. "Yeah... especially Pinkie's parties."

"She have more parties soon?" he asked, almost like a colt.

She wondered at how foreign he was to the concepts of their social culture. It made him so inexperienced to the point where a child new more than him. But... in a way he was just that. A child. He was learning to read and write, and she was tasked with her friends to teach him about what Equestria was like. He was so fascinated with everything he was learning, and they still had so much to show him. And she would be there. They all would. He needed this... Celestia, he needed ponies to help him... to catch him up with everything he'd missed growing up.

"You crying again." Twilight let out a choked laugh as she wiped her cheeks, then her irritated eyes.

"Yeah... I know," she sniffled. "I'm not sad... I'm just thinking about things I shouldn't."

Nex tilted his head. "Thinking?"

Another laugh made its way out of her as they reached the library. A dumbfounded Nex followed her up to their room and laid in his bed, drifting off rather quickly. Twilight waited for him to sleep, watching his back rise and fall with every deep breath. She snuggled into her bed, too tired to change.

If it's the last thing I do... I'm gonna help you, Nex... we all will... you deserve that much.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! The next chapter is the end of these once a day updates, since it's all I have written so far :twilightblush: I'll have more for you guys soon! As always, remember to like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!