• Published 14th Jun 2016
  • 1,183 Views, 12 Comments

Party Blues - TwilightAppleDash



Twilight and Rarity get to understand each other better, following the birth of the child of the Appledashes.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,183

Party Blues (Revised!!)

Look at them, I thought to myself irritably. Just look at how happy they are with their daughter, how she fills them with joy. All that lovesick worship.

I let out a soft sigh and frowned. Why can't that be me? I deserve to be that happy, don't I? I was the pony that gave them their special gift. Doesn't that entitle me to a gift of my own?

I wish she wasn't so uptight about the whole matter, it should be so simple.

Today was a big day in Ponyville, perhaps the biggest in a long time. Three years ago today, I created a web of spells so complex, nothing like it had been seen before, even in the great Starswirl's time. It was a moment to go down in history.

A moment that saw me receive the coveted Marebel Peace prize, taking my humble place in the long line of accomplished ponies to be formally recognised with such an honour.

Yes, little (well, not so little anymore.) Appleade Dash was turning three , but was already the strongest flier in her class, much to Rainbow's delight.

Everypony was there, congratulating the couple and celebrating the occasion. When Pinkie throws one of her parties, nopony misses out.

There was the celebrity lesbian couple, Lyra and Bon-bon, wrapped in each others embrace. Incredibly, the Apple family was there in strong attendance, with relatives arriving from all over Equestria. Even Applejack's cousin Braeburn was there, having travelled all the way from Appleoosa to make the event.

Applebloom was off somewhere, probably up to no good if she's with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. I chuckled to myself as I imagined their antics. Big Mac was giving Appleade a ride on his back, galloping around the yard, much to the little one's delight.

Of course our friends were there as well, Pinkie was by the cider table, chatting to Granny Smith about their family history, and Fluttershy was with a group of fillies, teacing them about her animals.

Which left one pony, who sidled up to me and rubbed her flank against mine.

"Twilight dear, shouldn't you be in the thick of things, enjoying yourself?" She asked me softly. "I mean, it is a party, after all, one just as much in your honor as Appleade's."

"Yeah Rarity, I know," I replied, resting my head on her shoulder and sighing agin. "It's just, being this close to them, it makes my heart ache even more."

Rarity huffed in annoyance and moved away from me, shaking her head. "Darling, we've had this talk before, please don't bring it up again, especially not tonight."

I idly gazed as Appleade bumped about on Big Mac's back, squealing wildly and shrieking with laughter, feeling my heart thump painfully.

"I know and I'm sorry Rares, its j-just, now that it's p-possible, I can't help but yearn for my... for our own c-child."

As I spoke, I realized that my eyes were welling up, and uselessly brushed them away, grunting in frustration. I felt Rarity wrap her hooves around me and hug me tightly. "I know how you feel Twi, and I am so, so sorry that I can't give you that. We're just both frightfully busy right now. I've got to travel back and forth between my Boutiques in Manehatten, Canterlot and here in Ponyville plus I'm expecting a large order of lavender nylon silk, and I need to fill an order for 100 navy-blue cocktail dresses by the end of this week, and that's just me dear."

She kissed the top of my head softly, and continued, "Darling you're an Alicorn now too! You're a royal princess and as such, you have duties to carry out that may take you all around Equestria! How could you find the time to raise our foal?"

I nodded mutely and continued watching the party as Dash scooped up Appleade and flew her through the clouds, zooming around, almost faster than the eye could travel.

"I know you want a child my love, but not right now," her tone softened. "I'm not saying no, I'm just saying, not right now, ok?"

I looked back at her, saw her always elegant mane that accentuated her shapely face, saw her beautiful sapphire-blue eyes filled with concern and my sorrow eased. I sighed again and cuddled into her lovingly. "Have I ever told you that I love you Rarity?"

She chuckled, and kissed me, our horns creating a colorful spark as they met. "Plus," she replied coyly, "There's also the tiny fact that nopony knows we're an item sweetie."

"I know, I know," I muttered self consciously. "We'll tell them all in good time." I knew I had nothing to worry about. It's not like Ponyville was against gay relationships or anything, in fact they treated them with the same love and respect they did with straight couples.

It's just, I know it's gonna sound stupid, but I don't want us to seem like the token gay couple, so soon after Lyra and Bon-bon came out, and especially after Rainbow and A.J had their baby.

My musings were cut short by the arrival of Applejack. Rarity and I reluctantly broke apart, and I waved A.J over. "Heya gals!" she cried, hugging both of us in turn. "So good ta see ya here, Twi! After all, none o' this woulda been possible if it weren't for your talent."

"It was nothing Applejack," I replied, patting her shoulder. How's motherhood going, for you and Dashie ?"

Applejack sighed and rolled her eyes, but smiled warmly. "Whoowee! That little 'un sure can be a handful at times, plus it don't really help matters when it's six a' her, and half a dozen of Rainbow, cracking their wild shenanigans together. Sometimes, after putting Appleade down for the night, I just collapse inta bed mahself, ah'm jest too tired to do anything else!"

"Sounds like fun, you guy's sure are lucky," I replied, failing to conceal the sarcasm in my voice. Rarity tutted, and A.J placed a hoof on my shoulder, looking worried.

"Hey now, what's up sugarcube? Y'all sound a little sad there," she said, looking into my eyes. "Y'all can tell a friend, can't yeh?"

"Oh, it's nothing really important, don't worry," I replied, hoping against hope, that she wouldn't get suspicious. "This is your party after all, there's no need to dampen it with insignificant matters."

As usual, I failed, and her eyes narrowed. "Ye nah, ah'm not the Element of Honesty fer nothin'," she said flatly. "Now, are yeh gonna tell me what's on yer mind now, or am ah gonna have ta sit here and wait?"

I said nothing. She sighed, and stood in front of me, preventing me from leaving. There was tense silence for a few moments.

Then Rarity huffed and replied, ignoring my dark looks, "She wants to have a baby, Applejack dear," I clapped my hoof against my face.

Applejack merely looked confused, glancing between us in bewilderment. "A baby?" she replied, "Well sure, but who with?"

"Rarity, be quiet!" I growled at her, still embarrassed, I didn't want our secret shared with her, of all ponies.

"With me darling," she went on regardless. "Twilight and I love each other very much."

Applejack just stood there, stunned while Rarity crossed over to me and kissed me gently on the lips. I would have refused, but it wasn't worth getting angry about.

Plus, I do love her.

I returned the kiss and returned my gaze to A.J, who wore a big smile, her jade eyes crinkled in joy. "Hooo, boy!" She cried, and gave a us another big hug. "That is amazin', ah'm so happy fer yeh gals,"

"Yeah, well we'd appreciate it if you kept it to yourself for the moment," I replied with a sheepish grin, shaking her eager hoof. "I'm still not too keen on having it become common knowledge. Even after everything."

"Ah, that's fine there Twilight, Ah respect that. But, ah'm confused, yeh said ya wanted a baby, well what's the problem, if ya don't mind me prying'?"

I hesitated, awkwardly and Rarity shrugged. "Well, simply put, we are both quite busy at this stage and will revisit this debate at a later time."

"Oh, are y'all sure?" A.J asked, a little disappointed. "Rearing a filly takes a lot of energy, but the joy is worth every moment of it, and that's not ta speak of the other wonders it's done for me and Dash. Being a mother has really matured Rainbow, she's a lot calmer and more patient when things do get off track,"

"Yeah, Rare is right A.J," I added, somewhat reluctantly. "Now's not really the best time to get broody,"

"Ah well, you two have shown that while you want a child, you're both willing to wait until the timing's better, I can understand that. Darn good parents in the making, if y'all don't mind me sayin' so."

She glanced behind her, where Rainbow was still zooming around with Appleade. "Speakin' of good parents, ah wouldn't be the best example if ah let Rainbow carry on like that. Excuse me gals,".

With that, off she went, calling out to Rainbow, leaving me and Rarity alone again. "You know what? Upon reflection, waiting does sound like a good idea Rarity," I said to her, tenderly wrapping my hooves around her.

She grins mischeviously, and replys in turn, "Oh really darling? I was just thinking that I could probably hire assistants to travel between my boutiques, leaving me with plenty of spare time on my hooves,"

I stared at her, lost for words, then burst into laughter and tackled her onto the ground. Amidst the laughter, I felt my love for this fashion gal deepen.

Now might not be the best time for a child, but when the time comes, and it will, we will be ready for whatever happens.

Together, me and my rare little gem.

The End

Author's Note:

Whoooweeee!!!!, This was a big story!!

Wasn't expecting a sequel for Slumbering worries so quickly, indeed at all, but this idea just wouldn't go away. Very surprising
As always, hope you enjoy the story and leave feedback and a favorite or two.

Follow me, I follow you,

Sincerely Yours,
Tyrone (TwilightAppleDash)

Comments ( 12 )

Even though I don't usually like Raritwi, this was really good. I think I might go read more of it.
Nice job.

I would have liked to see a little more expanding on Twilight's interal musings about how badly she wants a foal but overall, not a bad little story.

7303792
As per your request, I have included a little internal reflection upon Twilight's behalf.

7304859 oh. Neato.

7305043
Anything to keep my readers happy!!

I'm all for short One-Shots, but this was honestly a little too short for a fav. Could've definitely been longer.

7306017
Fair enough dude, and I'm sorry I couldn't meet your expectations.

Just read it...

READ ALL THE SHIPS...

7487108 heheheheheheheheheheeeheheheheheeeheh POTATOES

Login or register to comment