• Published 22nd Jun 2012
  • 12,394 Views, 980 Comments

Flight 19 - ImChangingmynameforreaso



Flight 19 disappears and ends up in an unfamiliar country filled with unfamiliar people. Or ponies.

  • ...
44
 980
 12,394

Chapter 13: Pride and Prejudice

Author's note: Please read the gryffon’s speech exactly as it is written, as that is how it is meant to be pronounced.

Chapter 13: Pride and Prejudice

“Well dat ain’t a very nice t’ing to say at all d’ere, ey?” the gryphon said as he left the shadows. “I mean really now, ey, just cause I’m a lil smaller than the average, ain’t no reason to go makin’ fun, ey.”

Star stared at the creature with a dumbfounded expression. In the few dealings he had had with gryphons over his lifetime, he had never encountered one with such a strange accent. He could barely make out half the words that came from a gryphon’s beak as it was, but now it was just about indecipherable. He was startled from his introspection as the gryphon spoke up again.

“An’ now all ya do is go about and stare, ey? I t’ought you ponies was supposed to be nicer, d’ere, ey? And you don’t see me making a show of staring up yer compatriots o’er der, do you, ey?”

“That’s a gryphon?” asked Taylor, motioning to the small brown creature he had only heard of from myth. “He’s like, the same size as Midnight!” The gryphon adopted an even more hurt look.

“Who are you, and what do you want, gryphon?” Sword demanded, venom on his last word.

“Oh boy,” the gryphon sighed, adopting a scowl. “I guess me mum was right aboot you ponies after all. Oh, I shoulda listened to ‘er better!” His scowl was rapidly replaced by a frown as he emitted a shuddering exhale. “I shoulda listened, but I didn’, ey, An’ now look at me.”

Most of the assembled ponies and humans had noticed the crack in the gryphon’s voice at the end, but Midnight gave the creature a long, speculative glance. “Yes, look at you.”

Most of the humans had their weapons drawn and pointed towards the creature. Taylor was searching the sky warily, but the thin scud of cloud was not concealing any threat that he could tell. Enough starlight lit the area around them that no other creature was visible. For the moment, at least, it was just them and their unexpected visitor. “So, kiddo, what are you doing here?”

The gryphon’s eyes flared at that. “Oh, that’s not me name, eh? I’ll also ‘ave you know that I’m not no kid neither. I’m ten years old you know, ey?”

“No, we didn’t know that.” Midnight tilted her head, the odd expression still on her face. “You’re still a bit young to be out here alone. And you didn’t answer his question, either, Mister...” She trailed off, her tone obviously inquiring.

“Me name is William Skyborn Jr.” The gryphon straightened up proudly. “I’m named after me pop.”

“Really? Nice name, Willie Deuce.” Taylor looked back down at the diminutive bundle of feathers and fur. “So, let’s try again, this time, with feeling. What are you doing here?”

William’s beak snapped rapidly three times in frustration. “Me name is William, ey! And I live ‘ere, chuckle’ead! What even are you, anyway? Some kinda monkey, ey?”

“Yeah, he is.” Crimson Hoof walked over toward the gryphon, a fiendish grin on his muzzle. “They all are. Carnivorous monkeys from the Everfree Forest who eat gryphons for breakfast, lunch and dinner.” He dipped his head closer. “And sometimes,” he said ominously, “as a midnight snack, too.”

“Oh for Celestia’s sake, stop it,” Midnight snapped. “He’s just a child, in case you hadn’t noticed.”

“I’m not a kid, ey! William puffed up his feathers and glared back at Hoof. “An’ I’m ‘ungry enough I could try pony meself right now.”

Gruebel burst out laughing at this. “I wouldn’t try it, short stuff. He’s all tough and stringy.” He sat back down next to the campfire, leaning over and snaring the branch that Thompson’s dinner was roasting on. “Come on over here and have a seat, we’ve got some grub to spare.”

Thompson whirled around. “Hey, I was cooking that!”

“Yeah, looks pretty done to me. You did a great job.” Gruebel moved to take the meat off of the end of the branch, and flinched, waving his hand. “Dammit. Hot and fresh, too.” He licked grease off the ends of his fingers and rolled his eyes in exaggerated ecstasy. “Mmmmm, good.”

Star grimaced. “Oh, yucka-ducka. That’s gross, Gruebel.”

“Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, my ma always said.”

Gallivan sat down beside him. “You didn’t feel that way about balut when we were in Manila.” The others slowly relaxed and began to settle back down, though they continued to look about warily. “You didn’t like that at all.”

“Yeah, and I tried it. I can knock that all I want.” Gruebel made a face and looked back at William. “C’mon, kiddo, help yourself. It’s just Spam. Or whatever you guys call it.”

William spied an unopened can of the meat that the group had liberated from the zebras, and his eyes lit up. “Well d’at’s wonderful, eh? I love me some good ‘Spam’ from time to time.” All hesitation gone, he bolted over to Gruebel’s side and snatched the branch deftly from the Marine’s grasp. One quick jerk of his beak and the meat was gone in three bites. “Oh my, that’s hot, ey! And juicy t’ boot, ey?” Star’s lip quivered at this, and the pony looked away hurriedly.

“Well, I warned you.” Gruebel chuckled. “Damn, you really are hungry, kid. How long has it been since you ate last?”

“Oh, it’s just been a few days, ey?” William shrugged. “I tried me best to g’t some o’ th’ food the guards ration, eh? But they’ve got eyes like Yorrick, they do.”

“What guards are those, William?” Sword’s voice was quiet, his tone neutral, but the pony’s eyes were regarding the gryphon with preternatural intensity.

“‘Dose fea’erheads out by d’e Horns,” William said, without looking up. “That’s how I came to find out about you lot, don’t cha know, ey?”

“Really?” Sword assumed an expression of polite interest. “Are we that famous, then? Have all the gryphons heard about us?”

“I dunno aboot the tall fellas d’ere, ey, but they’re expecting you ponies sometime soon. They didn’ say when, just soon. You’re all they talk about, ey. ’Course, there ain’t much else to talk aboot way out ‘ere, ey, ‘less you like talkin’ aboot wind an’ rocks, yah know, ey?” William laughed, then stopped and eyed Sword suspiciously. “Why you askin’ for, anyhow, ey?”

Golden Sword began rummaging in his pack, for all the world as if the conversation was just idle talk and nothing to be concerned over. “Just wondering. We’re heading that way in the morning, and we haven’t seen much of anypony since we left home, for the most part. It’d be a nice change to meet somepony else.”

“Yah, and yood like to know if they’d be greetin yah with smiles er swords, ey?” William’s eyes narrowed and he stared at the armored pegasus with open disdain. “Bunch o’ you pony spies comin’ to steal our stuff, ey, then wantin’ William Skyborn to do your dirty spy werk for ya, ey? Not this gryphon, no sir’ee. I wasn’t ‘atched yesterday, you know, ey.”

“We’re not spies, William, and we’re not asking you to spy for us, either.” Midnight Arrow paced over to Gruebel, settling herself on the opposite side of the big Marine from where William sat. “We’re just traveling, honest. We’ve never been here before, and we’re very curious about your land.”

“Yah, an’ ‘ow am I suppos’ ta know yer tellin’ th’ truth, ey?”

Midnight’s expression fell, shock and hurt visible upon her features. “I... I’m not a liar, William. I promise you we’re not here to spy on you or anything. I always tell the truth, as much as I can.” She looked at the rocky ground, her forelock falling over her eyes and obscuring her face.

“Hey now, I didn’t mean none o’ d’at.” William shifted uncomfortably. Her reaction, coupled with the glare he was getting from Taylor, had clearly unnerved him. “Sorry, miss. A fella’s gotta be careful though, ya know? I’m all on me own out ‘ere, ey, you know?”

“Yeah, you keep not telling us why, too.” Taylor eyed the little brown-feathered form with obvious dislike. “How about solving that riddle for us, kiddo?”

“‘Ow about shovin’ it, ey?” William shot back. “I left home for me own reasons, and I don’t feel like talkin ‘boot it, ‘specially not with you, ya know?”

Taylor and Stivers traded a glance, and the Marine stepped in. “So, you left home?”

“Maybe. What’s it to ya, ey?”

Stivers raised his empty hands in a placating gesture. “Just asking, William. I’m curious. We’re visitors here, remember?”

“Yah, Miss Pony said that too, ey. And maybe I believe ‘er,” William said, “but ‘ow about you lot, ey? You sure ain’t ponies, I can tell you that. Tell me where you’re from, and maybe I’ll do the same.”

“Kid, if we did, you’d really think we were lying for sure.” Gruebel shrugged uncomfortably. “You’d never believe it. Shit, even I don’t, half the time.”

“You ran away, didn’t you? From home.” Midnight lifted her head and locked her gaze with William. “You left home and you’ve been wandering ever since.”

William jerked as if stung, his short tail curling tightly about his hindquarters where he sat. He opened his beak as if to reply, and then stopped. His expression crumpled, and his eyes glimmered brightly in the firelight and began to brim over with tears as he stared at the dusky pony, unable to look away. “Well, I uhh... yah... yah.” He broke off and began bawling, burying his face against the side of Gruebel’s leg.

“Well, shit and Burma Shave,” Taylor said unhappily. “Kid, I’m sorry...”

William twitched and began crying harder, his small wings flicking up and covering his head completely from sight. Gruebel looked around with a nonplussed expression, and then began patting the gryphon’s head awkwardly. “Hey buddy, easy there. You’re... um, you’re fine, okay?”

Golden Sword drew in a long breath and let it out in a slow sigh. “Well, I believe that wraps up the festivities for the evening.” He pulled his blanket from his pack and began methodically re-stowing the remaining contents to his liking. “Star, please take the first watch for this evening. Mr. Thompson, would you relieve him at midnight?”

“Yes sir.” Thompson glanced around at the desolate landscape that surrounded them. “You want I should keep the fire up, Captain?”

Sword shook his head. “Just enough to keep it going, but keep it small. It’s not too terribly frigid yet, and we’ll likely need the wood more later on.”

“Wrap up ladies, it’s gonna get nippy before dawn.” Gallivan retrieved his own blanket from his pack and shook it out. “Better get cozy, too.”

“A good old fashioned dogpile,” Stivers agreed. “Haven’t done this since boot camp.” He glanced over at Gruebel. “You mind taking care of our guest tonight, private?”

“No problem, sir.” Gruebel glanced down at William, whose weeping had begun to taper off to isolated sniffles. “You don’t bite, do you, kid?”

“As long as you don’t snore,” William said in a small voice. “I really hate that, ey?”

“Haven’t woken myself up yet,” Gruebel replied agreeably. “You can tuck into my cape. Just roll up in here... there you go. Snug as a sausage in a flapjack.”

“Sounds... oddly tasty.” William yawned hugely, and his beak suddenly looked incredibly sharp to Gruebel. The Marine took sudden notice of the gryphon’s form; birdlike forelegs which ended in sharp talons, and the lion-like hindquarters which sported claws on the end of the hindpaws. All of which were within inches of where the Marine now lay, only separated by a few thick layers of cloth.

“Christ,” Gruebel muttered. “Is there anything that lives in this world that isn’t pointy, sharp or dangerous?”

“Just you, Bob.” Gallivan snickered. “You’re all soft, warm and cushy. Ain’t he, William?”

“E,” the gryphon replied reflexively, already half asleep. The warmth and food were doing their work rapidly, and the young carnivore was soon snoring lightly next to Gruebel.

Taylor sat with his back propped up against the lee wall of the outcropping behind them, his blanket swaddled around him all the way up to his chin and insulating him from the chilly rock. Midnight had laid her own bedroll nearby, and the two sat quietly, both staring at the small form huddled underneath Gruebel’s cloak and watching it rise and fall imperceptibly with the motions of William’s breathing.

“He’s still pretty small, isn’t he?” Taylor asked in a low voice.

“I believe so,” Midnight replied in the same low tone. “If he is actually ten, and I have no reason to believe he isn’t, then he’s barely an adolescent. Gryphons are dissimilar to ponies in that respect; they’re not really mature until about twenty years of age.”

Taylor looked at her sharply. “How old are you, anyway?”

She turned her head and eyed him with amusement. “I refuse to believe you’ve gotten this far in life and not learned that you never, ever ask a lady her age.”

“Ahhhgh, you’re just as dodgy as he is.” Taylor thumped his head against the rock behind him. “Seriously though, I’m sorry if I sounded like a jerk to the kid. He just kind of showed up out of nowhere, and then didn’t want to answer any questions about what the hell he was doing here.” He shrugged his shoulders slightly, drawing the blanket up until it covered most of his face, with only his eyes and the top of his head peeking out. “I guess I just assumed the worst right off the bat. He practically called you a liar to your face.” Taylor glanced over at her. “Maybe I should take a page out of your book and be... I don’t know, more open and trusting.”

Midnight laughed softly. “Taylor, you’re a dear, and you’re a wonderful flier, but I’d lie to you with a smile if I thought you were a threat to my home.” She giggled at his shocked expression. “Oh, don’t take it personally. We have an old saying in the Royal Guard: ‘Trust, but verify.’ He seems nice enough, and if his story’s true, then he’s harmless... and I admit, I do feel sorry for him. But that won’t stop me from keeping an eye on him while he’s here.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Taylor said slowly.

“Of course I am.” The pegasus closed her eyes and drew her blanket up around her head until only her nose peeked out. “G’night.”

“‘Night,” Taylor replied automatically. But it was a long time before we was able to drop off, and his dreams were thin and troubled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Halt! Who goes there?” The voice echoed down from the rocks above, reverberating along the cliffs.

The group of travelers had finally reached the path known by the ponies as Aurora’s Pass. The mountainous terrain stretched for miles to the groups left and right, with only a few hundred meters between mountain ridges making the aforementioned pass.

“Just travelers.” came Sword’s reply. “We’re here to visit a monastery.“

“Ponies visiting a gryphon monastery? I’ll believe that when I’ve molted my last feather. You are armed, and entering sovereign gryphon territory.” He peered down at them, frowning for a moment. “And an odd looking crew at that. What are you, some kind of traveling circus?” The other guards snickered as he went on. “Looks like you brought some trained monkeys with you.”

“That’s starting to get real old, real fast,” Stivers growled under his breath.

“So what if we’re armed?” Midnight shouted back up at the guards. “We’re not exactly at home here, and you don’t wander around the wilderness using kind words on the wild animals.” She shot the guard who had spoken a withering glare. “What, do you think we’re spies too? If we were spies, do you really think we’d go through the front gate?”

A momentary lapse in conversation led Star to believe that the guards were conversing. After a tense few minutes, the burly voice piped up again. “We’ll need to see your documentation.”

“Documentation?” Taylor asked, “Like a passport? Cause, last I checked, I left mine in America...”

“I don’t know where ‘America’ is, but if you don’t have the required documents, you are not getting in.”

“Look, we’re on a mission from Princess Celestia herself!” exclaimed Sword. “We need to get these humans to one of the temples in the Shadow Whisper mountains.”

“Oh, a pilgrimage. How exciting,” the sentry said in a monotone that suggested it was anything but. “Again, once you present the required paperwork,” he yelled down, “We’ll let you in.”

“And where do we get these documents?” Stivers asked.

“Ain’t our problem.” the guard replied snobbily. “I mind my own business, why don’t you mind yours?”

The small gryphon, who had remained silent throughout the exchange while still resting in Gallivan’s hood, finally chirped his opinion. “Oy, why don’t you just let d’em t’rough, ey? d’ey said d’ey ain’t spies, so d’ey ain’t spies.” He stopped suddenly and glanced at Midnight. “Er... you ain’t spies, d’ough, right?”

“No,” she replied, without looking down. “Spies don’t wear armor. They wear cloaks and hide in the shadows.”

William blinked. “Ohhhhh... d’at makes sense d’en, ey?”

Again silence as the guards talked amongst each other. “You brought him along? Edna damn it. That tears it. Not no way, no how. Turn around and go home, or something.”

Sword ground his teeth and prepared to fire off another angry retort when a mild voice spoke up from behind. “Well, that would be difficult. You see, we’re a diplomatic party assigned to escort these tall fellows to the monastery where they’re going to take vows of celibacy.”

Stivers and Taylor turned around to stare at Star. “What the hell?” Stivers said. “What are you—”

“Shhh!” the pony hissed under his breath. He kept his gaze fixed on the guard up above. “We’d have to send a courier back to Princess Celestia to let her know about the problem, and in the meantime, we’d just have to camp here, as we can’t go back until these fellows are confirmed. And being a diplomatic party, you’d have to be responsible for us.”

“Ex-CUUUUSE me?” the guard nearly shouted. “How do you figure that?”

“It’s clearly outlined in the diplomatic accords your emperor signed with our princess back during the reign of Ironbeak the Terrible. Only, oh, three centuries ago or so, if I remember correctly.” Star shrugged. “Anyway, you’d be responsible for our safety, not to mention our upkeep, food, bedding, and other diplomatic accoutrements—”

“Oh, enough! Forget about it! Fine, go, just take that little thieving runt with you.” He brought his wings forward and made an odd flicking gesture with the wingtips just under his beak. “Now go away, or I’ll taunt you a second time.”

“I’ll be damned,” Shadow said aloud. “It worked!”

Star looked at him angrily. “Shh, I said, I’m trying to...” He broke off. “It did?”

Sword glanced at him, one eyebrow raised. “I wasn’t aware of any... diplomatic accords. Where did you find out about those?”

“I, erm, I made it up.” Star flushed visibly.

“And the part about celibacy vows too, I hope,” Taylor added.

“That’s your business, not mine.” Star said hurriedly. “Don’t know, don’t want to know, can we go now?”

As the crew looked to each other with various degrees of shock on their faces, Sword recognized the opportunity, and grabbed it. “Well, you heard the gryphons. Let’s go. And then when we’re out of here, we can have another little chat about where our new pal comes from. Ey?” Swords sentence ended venomously. Turning about and ignoring the look of chagrin that passed over William’s features, Sword began to pace unhurriedly into the pass proper. The rest of the troop, trading glances, followed after, each of them glancing up uneasily at the peaks to either side.

The pass itself was fairly unremarkable, except for the twin peaks that soared up evenly on either side of it. The rock face was jagged and sheer, with visible striations of colour winding hither and yon upon its surface. The marks of civilization had been heavily scored into the sides of both outcroppings; archways and staircases had been laboriously carved into the rocks on either side, leading up to the guardposts themselves, which lay perhaps fifty meters or so above the valley floor. The peaks themselves continued on upward from there, soaring unevenly upward for an unknown distance where the bare top was just visible. Peering carefully at the summits, the ponies could see one or two guards perched up high at lonely sentry posts, their gaze directed outward to the northward, from which the band had just come.

Star looked back over his shoulder and realized the gryphon guards had very likely watched them make camp last night; the Rock of the Horn was visible some way off, and the light from their campfire would have illuminated a patch of ground that could have been easily seen. Clearly, their arrival was no real surprise, and it explained some of the carelessness of the greeting they had received. Still, there was something about this that set Star’s mane on edge.

“Captain,” he murmured, “I don’t like the smell of this. It’s too...easy.”

Stivers and Taylor glanced at Sword, and Midnight leaned in closer, lowering her voice. “The Princess did say that the gryphons would be warned about our coming, didn’t she, sir?”

“That is what the written orders she placed in my pack indicated, yes.” Sword kept an even pace, not sparing a single glance to the guard towers to either side. The sound of the gryphons hooting and shouting insults down at them echoed among the cliffs. “This lot’s obviously been told not to hinder our passage, else we’d have already had a hard time of it. They’re just yanking our tails and looking for an excuse to cause trouble. And there’ll be none, at least not on our part, is that clear?” He glanced directly at Midnight, and then at Stivers and Taylor. “Pass the word. Everyone is to keep in line. Eyes front, mouths shut. I don’t want to give these barbarians an excuse to start a row. The last thing we need to do is cause trouble here. Barring some sort of magical teleportation spell, we still have to come out this way again, unless you fellows suddenly decide to grow wings.” He glanced at Stivers and Taylor oddly. “Speaking of which... you don’t happen to have any other way of flying, do you? Besides your machines? Something you’ve kept secret to this point?”

“No, Captain,” Stivers said. “Trust me, if we did, we’d tell you about it.” He spread his arms wide, hands open. “Any little surprises I had left I already talked to you about back at the desert.” Taylor looked at him curiously, and Stivers nodded. “I told Sword about the wing guns and the rockets.”

Taylor blinked and colored slightly. “Oh, hell. I didn’t even think about it, honestly.” He looked at the pegasus in the lead position in dismay. “Sorry about that, Captain. It... the subject just never came up.”

“It’s quite all right, Lieutenant. Captain Stivers and I have discussed this at some length.” A light chuckle escaped him. “And I’ll take your word on it; I’ve developed a bit more trust in your lot than I had when we first met.”

“I’m glad somebody has,” Taylor muttered under his breath.

“I was just hoping... no, I’d forgotten, you’d mentioned you don’t really have magic in your world.” Sword sighed. “Unicorn magic would be fairly useful right about now.”

“I was wondering about that,” Stivers said. “Why didn’t the Princess send a couple of unicorns with you guys? Or even some of the regular types, what do you call them?”

“Earth ponies,” Midnight said with some amusement. “I wouldn’t call them ‘regular types’ to their faces, captain. They’re quite capable in their own regard, and certainly don’t lack bravery.”

“Yeah, I’d assume so. But why just pegasusses?”

“Pegasi,” Sword corrected.

“Fine, whatever.” Stivers frowned. “Why just pegasi, then? And how come just you guys? This is a pretty small group to be all alone out here, you gotta admit.”

“Oh, I know,” the pony replied. “But there are a couple of factors involved in that. First of all, this is not strictly a military assault of any type. We’re not here to start a war; Princess Celestia was very adamant on that point. And even if it was a ‘smash and grab’ mission, per se, you’d have better luck with a small team than you would with a battalion. Logistics, planning, everything is simpler, you know.”

“Plus the fact you’d never make it back out alive with a bigger force.” Taylor glanced to either side of them, where the rocky ramparts were beginning to widen out. The catcalls and hooting from the pass guards had died out, and the only sounds were the slow sighing of the wind, the crunch of their feet on the ground, and the sound of their own voices. “You’d have to hit this place with your entire army, or else not bother.”

“Not bad,” Midnight said approvingly. “See, you’re catching on.”

Taylor glanced briefly at her, then back at Sword. “So why no unicorns?”

“Apparently that has something to do with the magical nature of the artifact,” Sword said. “I don’t pretend to understand it, but the Princess said a unicorn getting near the object without proper training would...well, it would be unfortunate, from what I gather.”

“Well, that doesn’t sound too encouraging,” Stivers said. “Still, a couple extra of the earth ponies might still come in handy.”

“That, I’m afraid, has nothing to do with the artifact, and everything to do with you,” Sword said, visibly uncomfortable. “Captain... whatever you are, wherever you’re from, you... oh, there’s no good way to say it. You’re a threat and a contamination. Until we get this thing back to the Princess and get you out of here, you’re a danger to our world. And your machines, your ideas, the way you think, all are potentially adverse effects on our society. By sending my team with you, the Princess limits the spread of the contamination. My troops and I... well, we’re already compromised,” Sword stated flatly. “And we were from the moment we took you into custody. In that sense, we’re expendable.”

“Gee, Captain, I really like you too.” Taylor rolled his eyes. “I’m so glad we could spend this quality time together and bond like this.”

“It has nothing to do with you personally, you selfish ass,” Sword snapped. “This is about duty. I’ve been tasked with this, and I will see it through as far as I can, even if it means you get to go back to your home and I spend the rest of my life in exile just for having met you. Or did you even consider that?”

Taylor and Stivers both stumbled and came to a halt as the armour-clad pegasus whirled to face them directly. “How I feel about it is irrelevant,” he said, almost shouting at them. “What I have to do is. I have to get you lot to the monastery. Fine. We’ll walk our way there. If I could strap you to my back and fly you there, I’d do that. If I have to drag you there by the hair, kicking and screaming, that is what I’ll do, because that is the mission I’ve been tasked with, and by Celestia that is what is going to happen. Am I clear??”

Midnight Arrow stood to one side, afraid to even meet her commander’s gaze as the two humans nodded. Behind them, the rest of the group stood together, staring at the officers as if they’d all gone insane. Even William was quiescent, the gryphon watching Sword with wide and wary eyes.

“You’re clear, Sword,” Stivers said.

“As crystal,” Taylor agreed in a low voice. “Sorry, Captain. I didn’t mean that like it sounded. Sometimes my mouth goes off before my brain is armed.”

“Yes,” Sword said in a more normal tone of voice. “I’d noticed that some time ago.” He turned about and resumed trekking along the rough old roadway, his head moving from side to side as he scanned the walls of the valley. With a forlorn glance back at the two pilots, Midnight trotted ahead to join him, and after a moment the group resumed their marching order.

Star and Shadow, in the rear rank, trotted steadily behind the group, one or the other turning every few moments to scan behind them for anypony who might be following. “See, now that, there,” Shadow said in a quiet tone, “is why I don’t try out for officer. Too much thinking, and look how miserable they all are.”

“That’s not it,” Star declared, glancing behind them. “It’s that zebra curse, I’m telling you. It’s not over yet, and the worse is to come. Mark my words.”

“So, the zebras laid a curse on us that breaks flying machines and makes everypony grumpy.” Shadow snorted. “Wait, I’m trembling in my shoes. Oh, wait, no, I have to go to the bathroom, that’s what that is. Be right back.” The large pony broke out of the formation and headed off to one side of the path.

Behind him, Star waited, his expression plaintive. “Why doesn’t anypony ever listen to me?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sword forced himself to keep his pace at the slow and steady walk the group had gotten used to, the one which ate up the miles beneath your hooves while you weren’t looking. What the stallion really wanted to do was break into a jog, or better yet, a full-out gallop, and run away. Out of sight of everypony, his troops, the annoying little gryphon, and the humans which were the root cause of all his distress at the moment. It wasn’t really their fault, either, and that made it worse.

Blast it all, he thought irritably. Why was I the one lucky enough to get stuck with this lot?

Because you’re in charge, a cooler part of his mind answered back. You’re the captain of this guard unit, and you’re responsible. Even when you’re asleep. It’s your job, so just shut up and live with it.

“Oh, go to hell,” he said aloud.

“Sir?” Midnight’s startled voice spoke from behind and just to one side.

“Not you, lieutenant. I beg your pardon.” Sword sighed. “Just a bit of an internal discussion.”

“I’ve had a few of those now and again, more often of late,” she said, offering him a tentative smile. “Even odds on who wins the argument, too.”

Sword chuckled in spite of himself. “And isn’t that the lovely truth of it.” He glanced around to where she walked beside him, two paces behind in deference, exactly as regulation required. He would have been shocked had it been otherwise. “Nicely done, by the way.”

“Sir?”

“Have a little chat, drag the old colt out of his funk.” Sword raised an eyebrow. “Can’t have the commander wandering around grumpy and out of sorts.”

Midnight flushed visibly underneath the sable fur on her cheeks. “Well, true, sir, but it’s not just a job. I was a bit worried about you.”

“I appreciate it, Lieutenant. I’m fine, I assure you.” He looked ahead once more, his eyes scanning the rocky walls of the valley around them automatically. “It’s just that the nature of this mission is not one that encourages peace of mind.”

“It’s quite all right, sir.” Midnight took a deep breath, then exhaled slowly before responding in a lower voice. “I like them, too.”

Sword almost stumbled on a rock that was half buried in the soil underneath their hooves. “Excuse me?” He glanced back at her sharply. “What did you say?”

Midnight swallowed visibly, but ventured on. “I like them too, sir. It’s incredibly disconcerting when somepony who threatens your home turns out to be the sort you wouldn’t mind serving with, or even having as a friend.”

“And yet they still threaten our homeland.” Sword’s gait was steady again, but his eyes were fixed on hers. “Keep that in mind. Enemies come in many guises.”

“But they’re not our enemies, sir, not really.” Midnight glanced back over her shoulder at the tall shapes that strode along several lengths behind them. “I mean, they’ve helped us out in a tight spot or two—“

“Common enemies make for odd houseguests,” Sword said, quoting an old pony proverb.

“Yes, but the regular troops, Gruebel and Gallivan and the others, they’re almost like family with each other,” she said, pushing on. “Laughing and cutting up like colts with one another, trading barbs, but it's plain to see they’d do anything for one another.”

“Camaraderie is common among troops of any nation,” Sword replied patiently. “The circumstances of combat demand it. You’re an officer, you know this better than anypony.”

“Well, what about Captain Stivers?” Midnight said desperately. “He’s as fine a leader as I’ve seen anywhere, and he looks out for all of us. No offense,” she added hastily.

“None taken,” Sword said easily. “And I’ll not dispute that fact, not at all. However, it’s not written anywhere that our foes cannot possess leaders with charisma, honor, or ability. That makes it all the more difficult when you have to face them, and all the more dangerous as well, because it’s difficult to destroy something you admire.”

“Destroy, sir?” Midnight’s wings fluttered a bit at that. “Do…do you really think it will come to that?”

“I certainly hope not. I spoke in a figurative sense, Lieutenant. Plus the fact that we’re on this mission outlines the fact that the princesses would rather pursue a peaceful resolution to this whole mess.”

“Yes, sir.” The mare glanced behind them again for a moment.

Sword cleared his throat quietly. “I note the fact that you omitted to mention another matter.”

“What’s that, sir?” Midnight looked back at him attentively.

“Lieutenant Taylor,” Sword said evenly. “You and he seem to be getting along rather well. And I’m not the only pony who’s noticed, either.”

Midnight’s jaw dropped, and she fell off of her pace for a heartbeat or two, looking for all the world as if he had just reached out and slapped her. “Sir…that is, I…”

“Relax, lieutenant.” The stallion chuckled quietly. “I was not suggesting any impropriety on the part of either of you. But it’s become obvious that you two are very good friends.”

The mare walked alongside of him for a moment, clearly searching for a response. “Well, sir, he is a very good pilot. You might call it ‘professional admiration,’ I suppose”

“Nonsense. You’re both executive officers of your respective camps, and you have a lot of common ground. There are worse reasons for starting a friendship, and I have no objection to it.” Sword looked away for a moment. “However, consider something very carefully.”

“Yes, sir?” Midnight kept her gaze glued on her commander, afraid to look away.

“Suppose, for a moment, that one of those rocks on the valley wall was to fall down suddenly, and smash me flat as a pancake.” Sword looked back at her, amused at the horrified expression the mental image had brought to her face. “You would now be in command of this expedition, charged with seeing its successful conclusion. Which would mean finding a way of exerting control over Captain Stivers and his band.”

“Yes, sir?”

“Suppose your friend Taylor suggested that we give up on this mad quest and that the humans should just take their machines, fly somewhere isolated, and live out the rest of their lives on their own?”

Midnight blinked, startled at the thought. “Why would they do that? I’ve heard them speak often enough of home. They want to leave, sir.”

“You’re in charge. You don’t plan for what’s probable, but what’s possible.” Sword’s voice was curt. “Taylor decides he’s had enough of this, says he’s in charge now, and they’re going to fly away. What do you do?”

“I… that’s insubordination, and mutiny, sir. It puts everything in jeopardy. I have to stop him.”

Sword leaned closer, his gaze relentless. “How?”

Some of the light left Midnight’s eyes, and for the first time, she looked away from her leader, past him at something only she could see. “However I can,” she said miserably. “By whatever means necessary.”

“Now you’re thinking like a commander,” Sword said. The stallion offered her a small, crooked smile. “And now you know why I’m always grumpy. Or as Captain Stivers puts it, why I’m such a ‘hard ass.’”

Midnight nodded imperceptibly, still unwilling to meet his gaze.

Nice going, you fool, Sword cursed at himself. “Come on, lieutenant, don’t pull such a face. I don’t actually expect a rock to fall on me. Even less do I suspect Lieutenant Taylor will try to overthrow the expedition. My point is that you have to mind your duty, and be careful. Very careful. Because you’re right.”

She looked back at him finally, the confused expression on her face so comical that he fought down a laugh. “Sir?”

“I do like them. All of them.” Sword looked back over his own shoulder at their charges. “They’re fine fellows, and I’d gladly fight alongside them any day. I honestly didn’t expect I’d ever say that.”

Midnight laughed hesitantly. “I didn’t expect you to, either.”

“Even so.” Sword looked around once more, and then halted. “Now, since we’re on the subject of unpleasant duty, do me a favor and go fetch young Master William up here. I promised to have a talk with him, and I will.”

“Yes sir.” Midnight turned smartly and trotted back along the column. Sword stood quietly, his ears flicking around now and again as he heard several muttered conversations and a muffled grunt or two as somepony sat down to take a rest. He occupied himself with surveying the valley around them, noting that the walls that rose on either side of them were somewhat lower here, and the ground less bare, with patchy bits of earth and grass showing hither and yon.

Presently, he heard the muffled sound of paws on the rock and Midnight reappeared with the little gryphon beside her. William was puffing as if from great exertion, and the youngster mimed wiping his brow.

“Well ‘ey d’ere, Mis’er. Cap’n,” he said in his high, uneven voice. “You sure set one heck of a pace, I gotta tell you, ey? Not used to all d’is d’er walkin’, ey.”

“Yes, I’d imagine so,” Sword replied neutrally. “Then again, it’s a fair piece from anywhere where anypony would live, so flying would tire one out too, I suppose.”

“Oh, you got d’at one right d’ere, ey?” William made a face. “Me wings were aching by the time I got here, ey? I’d give half me da’s money for som’n to carry me oot this far.”

“Yes, I was just coming to that.” Sword looked down coldly at the young gryphon. “Your presence here is just too convenient for me, lad. And I happen to abhor coincidences.”

With a sudden flash, William was yanked from his place on the ground and slammed to the earth on his back, Sword’s forehoof pinning the gryphon in place. The stallion drew his sword and held it poised, the point centered on the feathered throat beneath him. “So let’s talk, you and I, about exactly why you’re here. Or being tired will be something you’ll never worry about ever again, I promise you.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gruebel had been readjusting his pack to ride more easily on his shoulders, and the captain’s sudden move nearly made him drop it. Holy shit, he’s gonna waste the kid! Murmured comments broke out among the group, and both Taylor and Stivers moved forward, until Midnight’s voice cracked out across the party.

“Quiet, all of you!” The mare stood between Sword and the rest of the group, her eyes meeting each of their gazes in turn. Seeming satisfied, she said something inaudible to Sword, and then stood attentively, scanning the rim of the valley for any sign of intruders.

Gruebel could have cared less if the Lone Ranger and Tonto had come riding over the hillsides, buck naked and singing “Ave Maria.” He moved a couple of paces forward, which earned him a warning glance from Midnight, until he was just within earshot of Sword and William.

“What the hell is goin’ on…” Thompson began.

“Shhh, I’m listening!” Gruebel hissed. The Marine cocked his head to one side, and caught the tail end of Sword’s last rejoinder to the gryphon. “…enough, so out with it.”

“I alrea’y to’d ya!” William stammered, the youngster’s beak fairly clacking together in fear while his accent thickened. “I jus’ tuk off from ‘ome and ‘eaded out.”

“Oh yes, I see. ‘Hmm, I’m bored, guess I’ll just pack up and leave home and go wander about in the wilderness where I could get killed instead of staying home.’” Sword shook his head. “Sad. You’ll have to try harder than that.”

“You ‘ave it all wrong, buddy!” William yelled. “It ‘as dear ol' dad!” His beak snapped shut abruptly, and he looked away.

“Well now, that has the ring of truth.” Sword tilted his head and looked at the gryphon with interest. “Go on, I’m listening.”

William opened his beak as if to say something, then closed it again for a moment. When he spoke again, his voice was almost inaudible, and Gruebel had to lean forward even farther to catch the words.

“Have you e’er had a day... Where you really wished you had a diff’r’nt job?” the gryphon asked.

“Now and again,” Sword said in a dry tone. “It happens.”

“Yah. Now imagine d’at, but e’ery day, ey? And you don’t even ‘ave d’e job yet. But it’s all yer da’ e’er talks about, ey?” William’s voice was stronger now. “Jus’ o’er and o’er e’ery second of e’ery day, ‘ow I’m gonna be some great bloo’y cap’n in d’e army and lea’ folks to glory and make e’eryone oh so proud o’ me and me family.” The gryphon turned and spat abruptly. “Hell, I don’t e’en like bein’ outside, let alone all the campin’ an’ marchin’ an’ following e’ery order to th’ ‘t’, ey? We get less’ns in all d’at protocol crap t’ree times a week, ey, and two weeks at a camp in th’ summer ta boot.” He glanced at one of his own foreclaws for a moment, looking at the sharp talons. “I don’t e’en like to get dirty, much less live in the mud f’er weeks on end, ey?”

Sword’s tone was slightly less harsh. “Well, you seem to have picked the wrong place to run to for lounging about in comfort.”

William’s eyes snapped back to the pegasus standing over him, meeting his gaze with a heated glare. “I am not lazy, you smarmy git.” The gryphon’s expression took on an almost comically pouting expression. “Is just... no’ dignified, is all.”

“Interesting.” The point of Sword’s weapon had lowered slightly, but was still easily within harm’s reach. “Keep going.”

“Oh, for the love o’... right, right, fine.” William’s expression twisted up abruptly and if the gryphon had had any teeth, he would have ground them in exasperation. “I came out ‘ere ‘cause it’s the only place I know where a fella can find somebody who wasn’t a bloody gryphon. There’s a little place not too far from here, it’s a little hole in the wall town kinda thing, you know? Small houses, a few shops, e’erybody wanderin’ t’rough the streets and saying hi to their neighbors, you know what I mean?”

Sword blinked at that. “There’s a town nearby?”

“Ya. And you aint seeing it from the air either, so you can’t go and kill me off just yet, ey? Anywho, ot’er folks go d’ere from time t’ time.” William waved a foreclaw aimlessly back towards the north where the pass lay hidden in the distance. “Is a tradin’ place, it is, and folks of all sorts show up d’ere. Gryphons, ponies, those almighty big birds that live up in the mountains and just sneer at’iah and don’ talk unless they need to buy something, you know?”

Star’s ears perked up at that. “Could be rocs, sir. I’ve heard of them, but never seen one.”

“From the sound of it, I could do without that particular blessing.” Sword’s expression had subsided from outright hostility to obvious curiosity. “So... again, why did this place attract you?”

William looked away and mumbled something inaudible.

“Louder, please.” Sword lifted a forehoof and made beckoning motions. “This time, with feeling.”

Taylor made a snorting noise at that, but otherwise, the humans kept quiet, listening. The gryphon’s expression reassumed the pouty “I’m being made to do something I don’t want to” look Gruebel had seen over and over from his own little brothers.

“I said, I like t’ hear th’ stories d’e ‘ave t’ tell.” William grated out.

Even Sword seemed taken aback at this. “What?” he said, the point of his weapon lowering completely. “Stories?”

“Ya, gluefoot, you know, songs, tales, an’ the like. D’at li’le ditty yer bud was singin’ when I found ya’s being among’em.” The youngster was obviously embarrassed, but kept on. “Legends too. You can always find ‘em in th’ afternoons and evenin’s sittin’ ‘round the pubs and tellin’ tall tales about stuff way back when, ey, like aboot the time ol’ Prince Aurora made off with th’ North Wind’s false teeth, and how ‘e made ‘im pay to give ‘em back, ey?”

Star laughed out loud at that. “I’ve heard that one! Sweet Celestia, that’s an old one. It’s just a story for little fillies, though, it’s not a real legend.”

“Ya, ey, I kinda figured d’at out, ey, but it’s still got a sweet tune to it, ey, don’it?”

Star nodded. “Yeah, that’s true. Especially the part where the wind gets stuck in that valley—”

“—an’ the Prince is standin’ there, callin’ ‘im names an’ makin’ fun of ‘im, ey!” William’s eyes lit up. “I love th’ chorus in d’at part.”

Golden Sword’s expression was dour. “So... you ran away from home so you could listen to songs?”

“No, I ran away to learn ‘em, ey, so I could sing ‘em and pass the lore on, you know?” William rolled over carefully, keeping a wary eye on the armored pegasus as he stood up. “tha’s wha’ I wanna do. Travel from place to place, singin’ aboot stuff I’ ne’er seen before, and learnin’ new songs, an’ goin’ somewhere else to sing d’ose. I’d fly from one place to the next, and ne’er go back to the same town twice, you know?”

“A gryphon troubadour?” Crimson Hoof glanced at the diminutive form. “Do they even make those?”

William offered him a wounded look. “I dunno. Maybe we forgot ‘ow, ey? But I’d like to try. Better d’an sittin’ on some mountaintop somewhere pullin’ guard duty an’ readin’ letters from me da’ aboot how ‘e’s waitin’ fer me to make ‘im proud, you know?”

“That’s....” Sword stopped, then stepped away, sheathing his weapon. “That’s understandable.”

The gryphon glared at him. “I’m so glad yer approve, Lieutenant Shinysides. Can I mo’e now, or are yah gonna stick me and roast me fer dinner, hmm?”

“Um, kid, I don’t know what they told you in school, but ponies don’t eat meat.” Shadow opened his mouth, then clicked his teeth together a few times in demonstration. “Standard factory design, fruit and veggies only.”

“Yah? ‘ow ‘bout them, ey?” William gestured towards Stivers and Taylor. “Wasn’t gran’ma’s salad they were munchin’ on the o’er night, you know.”

“Hey, don’t count us in there.” Gruebel offered an eerily shark-like grin. “Throw a ham sandwich my way, I won’t complain.”

“Stop stop stop,” Star said, his ears flattened in distress. “You like meat, I know you like meat, do we have to talk about it?”

“Cool it, troops.” Stivers’ voice was mild, but silence immediately descended. He looked over at Sword, who was still standing motionless next to William. “Captain, what do you say?”

Sword stood for a moment longer, eyeing the gryphon slowly. “I say,” he said at last, “that we might do well to stop in at this town that’s supposed to be nearby. If it is all that you say it is, William, then even ponies won’t attract a great deal of attention there. And, if nothing else, perhaps we can spend at least one night indoors out of the weather.”

“Three cheers for that,” Taylor said. “My ass is sensitive. It doesn’t like sleeping on hard rock all the time.”

“Then it’s in good company then,” Sword replied evenly. “Very well. Young master William here will lead us on to... what’s it called?”

“Clawttowa.” William replied sulkily.

“Clawttowa,” Sword repeated in the same mild tone. “And there, he and we will part our ways in good faith, if not good will. Agreed?”

“If it’ll mean you stop pointin’ that d’ere sword at me, I’m fine wit’ it,” William grumbled. “I’ll figure somet’in’ out on me own from d’ere.”

“I’m sure you will.” Sword glanced up at the sky overhead, measuring the sun’s height. “Since we’ve already stopped, we’ll stay a bit for a bite to eat, and then head on to Clawttowa. How much further is it from here?”

“Not too far, ey.” William said. “Aboot an ‘alf day’s travel fer a cart o’ supplies. Tha’s ‘ow I got to th’ pass. Jus’ tucked into th’ back o’ one an’ out o’ sight, jus’ so I could give me paws a rest, ey.” He frowned. “Was all me’alwork and clothes, though, ey, and not a bite to eat for an ‘ungry gryphon. Tha’s why I had to borrow a wee bit o’ food from the good gentlefolk at th’ guard post, you know, ey?”

“Borrow? Or steal?” Midnight said disapprovingly.

“Well, I was gonna pay ‘em back, you know, but they didn’ give me th’ chance, ya see?” William replied moodily. “d’ey got all uptight like Lieutenant Shinysides d’ere and started yellin’ and stickin sharp pointy things in me face. Not a pleasant thing, mind you.”

“If you try paying before you take the food, that can usually be avoided,” Midnight said dryly. “It also helps if you ask first.”

“Yah, I know, I know, I just didn’t think about it.” He stared moodily down at his foreclaws, wiggling his talons in the dust. “Tha’ is usually when I ge’ in trouble, is all.”

“Lesson learned,” Midnight said primly. “Now then, go see if Mr. Gruebel will share his lunch with you. Unless you’d like some dried apple slices?” She dug a pouch out of her pack and wiggled it invitingly in front of him.

“Uh, thanks, but no thanks.” William turned and scampered off to where Gruebel was just sitting down, looking like a hopeful puppy who knows someone at the table is going to slip him a tasty morsel sooner or later. Midnight stared after him for a moment, then turned back to Sword. “Well, sir? What do we do?”

“Do? I already told you. We’re going to have lunch.” Sword began unfastening the buckles on his own pack. “Hmm. Apple slices do sound good.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun had sunk into the western sky and was just beginning to touch the tips of the peaks, turning the snow-capped ridges into a burnished golden color when William called a halt. “We’re here, boys and girls!” he sang out gaily. “And thank Edna for it, ey? Oh, me paws and claws are killing me, they are...”

The entire party stood still and took measure of their surroundings. The valley had narrowed again here, the rocky walls fairly regular from the timeless scourings of a long-vanished glacier that had passed through where they now stood. There were several tumble-down scatterings of boulders off to the eastern side of the pass, and a couple of low openings showed in the rock faces nearby, but of habitation, there was no sign.

“Your idea of a town is pretty unimpressive, Willie Deuce,” Taylor said. “Oh wait. I know! They heard we were coming and everyone packed up and left to flee Terrible Taylor and The Ponies of Doom.”

Stivers laughed. “I think Glenn Miller passed on that name when he was naming his band.”

Taylor shrugged. “His loss. I’m patenting it when we get back.”

Sword, in the meanwhile, was looking at William with something less than a pleasant expression. “Well? He’s got a point. Where is everypony?”

“You don’ know anyt’ing ‘bout us gryphons now, do ya?” William waved a wingtip toward one of the cave openings. “E’erybody’s down d’ere, along wit’ d’e town.”

Shining Star eyed the opening uneasily. “Wait, you live underground? I thought gryphons lived on the mountaintops. You know, in... nests, or something.”

William gave him an openly amused look. “Do I look like a swallow to you? We live underground. It’s the rocs live on d’ose d’ere mountaintops. Gryphons are smarter, ey, and live under ‘em. Hurts a lot less when you roll outta bed in yer sleep, too.”

“Damn.” Stivers glanced at Sword. “When Luna said the gryphons lived in the mountains, she wasn’t kidding, was she?”

“Yes, apparently the princess was being quite literal, for once.” Sword looked nonplussed. “I hadn’t picked up on this particular detail, but it doesn’t matter, really.”

“What do you mean?” Taylor looked back at Sword.

“I mean, that’s where the town is, so that’s where we go.”

“Whoa, Nellie, wait a minute.” Taylor pointed a finger at the cave opening, which stood barely five feet in height. “We’re supposed to just walk in there? On his word?” Nuh-uh. Not Mrs. Taylors’ little boy Charlie.” He backed up, waving his hands in front of him. “The next song little Willie will learn will be ‘Ten Dumbass Adventurers.’ Also known as ‘How I Lured Those Fools To Their Death.’”

Gallivan had wandered over and was examining the ground. “Actually, it does look pretty traveled, sir. The rock’s been worn down so much from foot traffic it’s almost smooth.” He ran a hand back and forth over the granite in demonstration.

“So where’s the guards, then?” Stivers glanced around, but saw no other living thing in sight but themselves.

“It’s a trading post, ey, not a fortress.” William sighed. “There are guards alright, but d’ey’re wardens, ey, to keep the folks out o’ trouble and the like. And they’re all inside ey, in the town, where d’e troublemakers are. Along wit’ everyone else, ey.” He pointed his wingtip at the other, larger cave nearby. “D’at’s the merchant gate, fer wagons an’ such. Might want to go d’at way instead, otherwise yer apt to knock yer ‘ead off d’e roof, ey? Yer a wee bit taller than the average gryphon, you know?” he cackled.

“Fine then, we’ll go in that way.” Sword gave Taylor a curious look, then glanced back to Stivers. “If there is any problem, we’ll have more room to maneuver, and you won’t have to crouch.”

“Sounds good. You want my boys in front?”

“Actually, I was thinking about that.” Sword glanced back at the party, an odd smile on his face. “Captain, if you don’t mind, would you have your lot hang back? My ponies and I will go in front, and you can bring up the rear. We’re used to you now, but your kind is somewhat of a novelty wherever you go, I’m afraid, and I’d like to avoid any unpleasant surprises with the local constabulary until I can explain things.”

Stivers imagined what he would think if a twelve foot high pony with armor, wings and a sword just walked into the local drugstore and ordered a Coke. “Um... yeah, I kind of see your point. Okay, Marines, brush your hair and smile nice for the locals. Taylor, bring up the rear, okay? You’re tail-end Charlie.”

“Ha-ha, very funny,” Taylor said sourly. He watched as William led the way inside, Sword and the other ponies following behind in a neat single-file line. A touch on his hand made him jump, and he jerked away to one side. “Jesus!”

“Oh my, I’m sorry.” Midnight’s ears were laid back in alarm. “You really are nervous, aren’t you? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I just...” Taylor looked at the cave opening uneasily, the little sunlight that was left barely illuminating the interior. “I had to ditch a plane in the water once. The canopy jammed and I was stuck in the damn thing. I almost drowned.” He swallowed thickly. “I don’t like dark, tight confining spaces.”

“Oh good heavens.” Midnight’s eyes widened. “I had no idea... I’m sorry,” she repeated. “Would you like me to walk with you?”

“No,” Taylor said sharply. “I...I’m fine. I’ll deal with it.” He waved a hand toward the cave in a jerky motion. “Go on ahead, before Sword starts yelling at you. I’ll be fine.”

“All right,” the mare replied in small voice. She trotted away and paused at the entrance, looked back over her shoulder at him once more, and was gone into the darkness.

Taylor watched as Stivers followed her in, and one by one the other members of Flight 19 fell dutifully in line and were swallowed into the stone throat. Gallivan went in without a backward glance, and then it was only Taylor, standing alone in the empty valley. The last rays of the sun vanished behind the peaks behind him, and there was only him, the gathering dark, the emerging stars above and the stone tunnel before him, waiting patiently. He reached up and clasped a hand to his chest, feeling about and pulling out the small leather pouch that still hung around his neck. He gripped it for a moment, feeling the sharp metal edges of the wings that lay inside.

“Here goes nothin’,” he whispered, and plunged into the shadows.