• Published 30th Jul 2016
  • 4,508 Views, 168 Comments

Crystalline: Her Destiny - Ice Star



Lately, Princess Cadance has been feeling inadequate. She's spoken of this briefly to Twilight Sparkle but her longing for a grand adventure is really starting to get to her as are the thoughts that she isn't doing all that she can.

  • ...
11
 168
 4,508

Chapter 1: Miss Me?

Whenever I'm upset or worried, I have found that flying is always the best thing to help relax my mind. This wasn't because I felt I was flying away from my problems, it was nothing like that at all. Instead, it helped me see things differently; all the way up here above the Crystal Empire I could see everything laid out below me. It's what I do to feel organized, rather than re-shelving books on schedule or making lists like Twilight.

It usually works very well, having the feeling of wind between my feathers. Today just wasn't one of those days and now, so shortly after the defeat of the tyrant king and Twilight's ascension, I had found that the pleasant gust had abandoned me and instead of gliding through the crisp northern air I was left flying like any other pegasus, the familiar feeling of being grounded catching up to me even up here.

I don't like that feeling; peace is wonderful but I don't like it when things become too routine…

To stop my stressful thoughts I look over to the Gemheart Mountains, where assorted mines and tranquil dwellings were built. Unlike most Equestrian mountain ranges, the ones here were rarely traveled throughout the ages. Even now, when a train station had been established that connected this beautiful country with Northern Equestria ponies were not likely to frequent this mountains. My Crystalline subjects knew them. To Equestrians, they were mystical. To the yaks, they were a border respected and feared. To the neighboring Trottish, these mountains were as cursed as the reputation of King Sombra. I think even I still felt a little unwelcome from time to time when I flew here; the peaks were just not always so idyllic.

I glided lower now that the winds had left me. Off days like this were...nice...at times even if nothing really happened.

That was the point of these mountains, after all: to keep my nation sheltered from the northern weather. I was about to stifle a sigh when I saw a strange glint over near Mt. Topazora. How strange... what could it be? I doubt it was an ewe since they can't climb that high. The topaz mines were long since abandoned due to hazardous conditions within, so if somepony was there they could be hurt. Perhaps a warning signal of some kind had been made; a crystal pony could be use their magic to create the gleam. I kept my course, gliding even lower. I had better go check this out, since I did not want anypony getting hurt.

It was important to help ponies, this was always something that I believed wholeheartedly and was encouraged to do by neighbors, my family, and especially by Auntie Celestia. A basic lesson learned as a foal, but I'd never forgotten it. I loved ponies and enjoyed helping them just as much. As important as this was, I still had doubts about it being anything 'adventurous'. As I had told Twilight, the Crystal Empire was quite predictable, which was what had been getting to me lately. It felt like I have been...deprived? Yes, deprived of the adventures that others have. Twilight didn't have to be the little junior errand princess to Auntie for years in Canterlot after her ascension. She didn't move away from her town and family into the humdrum that Auntie practically reinforced.

I don't feel envious towards ponies like Twilight for having exciting lives, instead I end up feeling empty knowing that my loved ones are doing important things. Meanwhile I just sit on a throne and wonder if I'm doing the best I can to help others. Auntie taught me many things, but they were political and magical lessons. She didn't teach ponies self-worth, she gave me cheerful smiles and positive vibes like grandmothers give out cookies. I think that it's my own fault for letting those fail sometimes.

It's probably just a crystal sheen or something, I conclude realistically, yet wistfully as my hooves skidded on the rocks. I took only a few steps before I saw what produced the faint light.

My previously Unidentified Shimmering Object was anything but predictable. Or mundane. It was dazzling and exotic. Standing before me was a gigantic crystal rose; it was even taller than me! The beautiful sculpture was not that well concealed by the ledge but it wasn't too obvious either, seeing as I couldn't make it out on my flight. It had a crimson blossom and a gray-green stem.

What was it for, and how long had it been here? Nopony had reported such a gorgeous anomaly in the mountains. Magic was at hoof here, but magic was at hoof everywhere! There's no telling what this beautiful construction might be.

Upon inspection; by which I mean tapping it with my hoof a few times, it seemed to be hollow. I tried to peer through it, and it looked like there was something inside this mystery gift. How exciting!

Blue aura danced to life on my horn. I wanted to know what was inside—after all, this might be something important. The flower, a perfect image of beauty and romance, splintered when it came in contact with my spell, floating to the ground in the form of gray slate-like dust that made me cough. I put a hoof over my eyes so nothing would get inside.

Once the dust settled, I moved my hoof away from my eyes and watched the blossom's content fall to the ground. It was nothing more than a dark crimson cloak, an old fashioned and rather plain kind as well, like something you'd see in a Hearth's Warming play, or on a mercenary's back if I had to think of a modern usage for these things. This was a wizard's humble attire—emphasis on humble since the fanciest addition to it was the hood. There weren't any colored patches or sigils. It wasn’t electrifying, thrilling, or even breathtaking at all. What mystery was there to this silly cloak? It was the complete opposite of everything I was hoping, instead it was boring and dull.

What a disappointment. I'm getting worked up over this of all things? I really shouldn't have been so foalish in getting my hopes up because right now I'm just acting like a filly who's jealous of her schoolyard rival's new mane ribbons.

How stupid of me, to think that I might do something interesting, instead of just going down in history as the alicorn Princess of Love. I wanted to to more than just… just…

I stop myself there and fly back to the palace, leaving the no-good and time wasting cloak to the wind's mercy. It wasn't an Element of Harmony, book of spells, or a really important enchanted weapon. That's all that had been in the blossom: fabric and wind. All I would find at the castle would be the delight of my home wrapped around the core of a growing inadequacy.

The next morning began with my simple routine. I woke up, brushed my mane, donned my regalia, and then went off to eat my big princess breakfast. I'd been hoping that today would be better than last evening, but it appeared as though I was still bitter about that, since I can't even laugh at my own silly jokes. If this goes on any more I bet I'll morph into some cruel monster with no appreciation for pancakes—exactly like King Sombra. Ouch.

I guess I'll just get today's duties out of the way and see if I can find some take a break and talk to somepony before this gets ridiculous.

Just as I was heading out of the Royal Chamber's dining wing to begin the day's duties as planned, a guard rushed over. With his helmet askew and two shoes missing, complete with his out of breath panting, Platinum Laurel looked downright ridiculous. Just how serious was this going to be?

"At ease, Laurel. What's wrong? Is this something Shining Armor should handle because he's—"

Then he spoke, still gasping. “You are needed immediately in the interrogating room.”

This was bad. We had never used that room yet, it quite literally came with the castle. It was only meant to be used in certain kinds of emergencies based on what surviving records said about it. With no time to spare I teleported us to the correct hall, since there was no time for delays.

The exterior of the room was nothing special. The door was flanked by three guards in a secure yet little used area of the palace. Since there was somepony inside, more guards would be as well. There were minimal furnishings as well, the room was filled with only a table and magic barriers glowing softly on the walls to prevent escape through methods like teleportation. A noise canceling spell blocked out all sounds from the interior. I entered coolly, since I had to try to brace for the first impressions. I'm good with talking, but not confrontations. If you ever need a mediator, I'm your princess. An interrogator? Not so much.

I gazed over at the table where two guards poised at the sides of my ‘guest’. Despite protocol, they were standing a few more paces away than I would have liked. Were we dealing with somepony that wasn't stable?

They parted and I could fully glimpse my interrogatee, or at least what they were wearing. Their face and body was hidden with... a deep crimson cloak. It was the same one, I was sure.

Not letting my shock show, I dismissed the guards. “I’ll be fine.”

They nodded politely and left. Clearing my throat, I aggressively addressed my guest. This was a sick prank at the very least, and if the guards' refusal to stand near them told me anything it's that they were probably violent.

“Take. The. Hood. Off.”

Their hood was enveloped in magic aura, a very familiar red aura too…

For a moment my mind blanked. How was it familiar?

I ran my head for a mental search of unicorns who might be visiting. It wasn’t Rarity, her aura was blue. Discord in disguise, maybe? I'd seen this before, so it could be anypony I knew… and then my mind stopped dead.

It was somepony I knew.

Somepony who it was a crime to forget.

Somepony who I never wanted to meet again—or really meet at all.

Somepony who should be dead because they'd been blown to pieces.

I swallowed nervously.

Why?

How?

The hood dropped and in a voice that to me was nothing but unnerving even if I didn't really listen, since this couldn't be real right? The voice of the not-so-stranger said, in a tone dripping with sarcasm,

“Miss me?”

Author's Note:

*Gemheart Mountains are the Iceverse version/equivilient of the Crystal Mountains

All notes moved over from the old story will be italics.