• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,944 Views, 44 Comments

The Gathering Storm - WiskeyMikeOne



The story of the formation of the new Luna republic told through the eyes and words of Whirlwind

  • ...
2
 44
 1,944

Chapter 5: Injustice

Chapter 5
Injustice

Wanted: Lieutenant Whirlwind
For treason, 100,000 bit reward.
Features: White mane and tail, green body, Pegasus, large wingspan, height 5 feet.
Do not approach, considered highly dangerous. Inform your local authority!

I was Equestria’s number one criminal; I had to get out of town now. I trotted towards the forest avoiding all the locals who came out to shop, not a single Pegasus or Unicorn to be seen. The forest was in sight, only a few more feet. Without warning a whoosh went over my head! It was the Empire. Was I recognised in town? Was I betrayed? I turned to see the chariot heading towards Ponyville.

“What should I do? Hide in the forest? Go back to town to find out what’s going on? Or turn myself in?”

I quickly forgot about the last option and headed back to town. The main square was full of ponies all gathered around a podium, an officer of the Solar Empire Army made his way up to the top and produced a piece of parchment, using his magic to hover the parchment in front of him. With a clear of his throat he began to speak.

“Citizens of Ponyville, Your Overlord and master, Princess Celestia demands that ALL families must give their sons and daughters to the empire so they can serve in the Cadet Armed Forces. National service is now in effect.”

The whole square went silent. I looked around, there were families huddled together saying their last goodbyes. Somewhat reluctantly, I decided to slowly creep out of the crowd “I doubt they would get far” I thought to myself. The officer started reading out names; the called out ponies made their way to the front of the crowd with their heads low and were instructed by the soldiers to line up. I couldn’t bear it any more, I had to look away. The crowd was getting smaller and smaller as families were torn apart.

“And second to last, Big Macintosh. Although he is not a colt, he has not been accounted for. Where is Big Macintosh?” said the officer.

No answer, he may have had made a break for it, good luck to him I thought.

“Hold on just one apple picking minute here!”

Applejack spoke and made her way onto the podium.

“I think you’ll find that Celestia promised me that my family would be exempt from joining the Empire thanks to my services in the past.”

The officer looked back down at his list then back up and Applejack.

“It says Big Macintosh on here, are you calling me a liar, Miss Applejack?”

“Well... there must be some sort of mistake, besides Big Mac ain’t here no more, he’s in Appaloosa helping them with their harvest.”

“I see. Guards! Go to the farm and search it from top to bottom!”

The guards took to the sky and headed to Sweet Apple Acres.

“You’re wasting your time, he ain’t there.”

“Who said I was now looking for Big Mac?”

The officer showed the list to Applejack, her face sank. Then there was a loud scream from the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Applebloom!”

Applejack was off like a shot, she ran towards Sweet Apple Acres. I don’t know why, but I followed. AJ was oblivious of me running beside her; she was too focused on her sister. When we got to the farm two of the four guards had Applebloom by the hooves and were dragging her away from the barn, the other guards stopped us at the gate. Applebloom was kicking and screaming.

“Get off me you feather brains!”

I have to admit she had a lot of courage and she was stubborn, just like her big sister. AJ tried pushing her way through the guards but it was no use, they had probably dealt with this kind of thing before. How could they live with themselves?

AJ was tackled to the ground, now was my chance. I pushed back the other guard and ran towards Applebloom.

AJ let out a yell “BIG MAC!” the barn doors flew open knocking the soldiers and Applebloom to the ground. I could see why the Empire wanted him, a massive stallion double my height was standing in the barn’s doorway. I stopped in my tracks. He looked at me, I don’t often get scared but that time I did. He ran towards me, all I could do was run in the direction I originally came from.

The other guards had left AJ and were now running towards me. I jumped to the side and landed in a wheelbarrow full of apples, it was either that or get squashed by Big Mac and two Royal Guards.

I looked up to see both guards get kicked in the back of their heads by Big Mac, he must have jumped over them. The guards were knocked out, AJ ran to her little sister and they embraced each other. I was stuck in the wheelbarrow, Big Mac gave me a hoof up.

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

Then there was a flash of light. Big Mac went down. It was the officer from the town square, he had jinxed Big Mac. The officer laughed then stunned AJ, Applebloom and then me. When I woke I was still in the wheelbarrow and it was now night. Big Mac who should have been in front of me was gone and so were AJ and Applebloom, who both should have been in front of the barn.

“They’re gone...”

My ear twitched, I could hear sobbing and it was coming from the barn. I pushed the splintered remains of the door aside to find AJ curled in the corner sobbing quietly to herself, her hat covering her face. I sat next to her and consoled her trying to hold back my own tears of sorrow.