• Published 14th Jun 2016
  • 4,515 Views, 47 Comments

To rekindle the flame - Sky Trotter



Both banished to Darkness, Can a long lost friendship be Rekindled

  • ...
9
 47
 4,515

Chapter 8

Obsidian didn’t sleep that night, and he wasn’t going to need sleep for a few months, seeing as he had recently woken up from a short two-year nap. He had been reading in one of the sitting rooms near the front of the castle. Letting time pass as he waited for Twilight to awaken. It was here in the morning hours just after the Sun had risen that the pounding began.

Looking up from his book Obsidian pondered. “What could that be? At this time of the morning, the Princess isn’t even awake yet.”

Lifting himself to his feet, he walked to the front door and pulled it open to see what was likely a noble. “How may I help you?”

The response put him on edge “I want to speak to the layabout princess, The real princesses told me that this ‘matter’ falls under this upstart’s jurisdiction, so here I am. I demand an audience with her.”

Obsidian grit his teeth, holding back his rage at the impetuous mare. Looking to his right, he noticed that there was a message posted that stated that Twilight was not opening court today due to ‘personal matters.' Turning back to the infuriating mare he calmly responded. “As you can see, Princess Twilight, Is not taking petitioners today.” The Mare responded with a glare. He continued “Even if she were taking any, it is not even close to the time in which she normally accepts them.” He pointed to the posted notice that displayed the hours in which Twilight held court.

The mare’s face lit with rage “Now see here. I am no common pony, do you know who I am! I am Silver Swift. I am a Duchess, and I will not be treated like some common plebeian. I demand that you fetch her this instant.” she finished her statement by stomping her hoof down into the dirt.

At this point, she was beginning to draw a crowd. Deciding that this was unbecoming of a Noble, Obsidian acted. Locking his gaze on her's, Obsidian dropped his visage, the illusion melted away, making sure it was only visible the Noblemare, to expose his real face in miniature. “You madam, have no idea who it is you raise your voice too.” smoke began to pour from corners of his mouth. “I am older than your Grandfather’s Grandfather. I watched this nation be built up from ashes. When I was helping build it, We choose nobles for actions. We also removed them for the same reason. You tarnish the title of Duchess with your behavior. I would suggest that you remove yourself from the premises at once. You may return during normal hours when everyone else does.” Obsidian turned from the shocked mare.

As he turned he noticed that she moved to swing her hand to slap him, He caught her hand and slowly turned back to her, his eyes promised death if she tried again. Speaking evenly “I will make sure to have a discussion with Princess Twilight, Celestia as well as Luna about your family's status, Silver Swift was it?” Her complexion paled at that notion. “And before you think otherwise, that was not a threat. It was a promise." After releasing her hand, he slowly closed the door.

Turning from the entryway, he noticed Twilight standing there with fear in her eyes. “What did you just do?!”

Speaking evenly “I turned an impudent woman away on your day off Princess.”

She looked at him with shock “But that was Silver Swift. Her family controls one of the biggest silver mines in the entire world!”

Cocking his head, he questioned, “It would not happen to be in the Unicorn mountains would it?”

She looked confused at this but responded “well yes, yes it is. Why?”

He smirked with an evil light in his eyes “Then no, no they do no not. I own one of the biggest silver mines in the world. I turned the operations of it over to a friend a long time ago. Telling him that he could take care of it and look after it, but that it would always be mine. With Celestia’s permission, I granted his title to him. Seeing as his family has let that wealth and power go to their heads. I would say that It is time to take that back, and give the daily operations of it over to someone far more worthy of the honor.”

She looked at him with shock. “You mean to tell me that you are the one that gave that family the power that they hold, and that you can take it back just like that?”

Obsidian frowned. “you mean to tell me that you did not know? The ability to do that is one of the fundamental duties and powers that a Princess holds. The power to raise up the deserving and strike down the undeserving. It is the way in which you keep the peace. That should have been one of the first lessons that Princess Celestia taught you. In any event, it appears that the other Princesses have turned this matter over to you to handle, going by what was just told to me by that insufferable mare.”

Twilight looked dumbstruck “they passed that over to me, but why?!”

Smirking Obsidian responded “I would imagine that they are looked to give you more power over the daily rule of the nation. Likely to show that they trust you a great deal. That, and I can imagine that they are looking to have some form of break from doing everything themselves for the last few centuries. It is only fair when you truly think about it.”

Twilight was dumbstruck. "This is a lot to take in."

Chuckling Obsidian responded "I can't relate. I have been doing this for a very long time, whereas you have only dealt with it for a little over two years." Walking over to her, he extended his arm. "Shal we go to eat breakfast. Afterward, I believe we should retire to my room to begin your training on how to deal with a Teenage dragon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Obsidian and Twilight spent much of the next week and a half down in the lowest reaches of the palace. Obsidian began to like Twilight quite a bit. She had a desire for knowledge that was unending. He often thought of her lust for learning to be very similar to a dragons greed for wealth. She absorbed anything and everything that he had to teach her during that short period.

But today was finally the day, the day for Spike to awaken.

Shifting in his bed, Spike rolled over "uhhhggggg... I slept like a rock." Rubbing his eyes, he went to jump down from his bed only to find that his feet touched the ground while still sitting. Looking down he was shocked, "My...My feet are touching the ground!" Spike shot up and flared his wings for the first time.

Shouting "When did I get wings!?"

A knock on his door snapped him from his confusion "Spike, Put some clothes on and come downstairs, we need to talk."

His mind was racing "M-mom?"

On the other side of the door, Twilight's heart warmed at hearing him say that "Yes Spike?"

Blushing Spike responded "Never mind, um... I don't think any of my old clothes are going to fit."

Suppressing a giggle Twilight continued "Don't worry son, I made sure we were prepared for when you woke up. Just look in your closet and pick something out. And don't take too long, we have guests waiting for you downstairs."

"Okay, mom I will..." Spike had to process what she had just said: "What do you mean guests downstairs?" However it was already too late, Twilight had walked away.

Ten minutes later Spike walked down the stairs to the dining hall, Turing the corner, he had not been prepared for what was waiting for him.

"SURPRISE!!!!!!"

He nearly fell to the floor when he walked into the room. Every one of his friends was standing in the room, all the girls, Ember and both princesses, as well as Shining Armor and Cadence.

Standing next to each other on the other side of the room were Rarity and Ember. They both looked at the new Spike and then to each other, a light blush on each of their cheeks.

Walking up behind him, Obsidian put his had on Spike's shoulder and whispered into his ear fin "Go, have fun. Your training will start tomorrow. For now please enjoy, and Happy Hatching day." With that, he turned and disappeared down into the depths of the castle. This was a gathering for those that held real meaning to Spike. He could hope that one day he would be able to redeem himself enough to attend a party like this, but today was not that day. His penance would genuinely begin the next day. For now, It was kind enough to let the young dragon enjoy himself.