• Published 11th Jun 2016
  • 2,736 Views, 68 Comments

Deepest Desires - RuinQueenofOblivion



A few months after Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo become a family again, a sad discovery followed by a letter sends their lives into turmoil. Can this new family survive what is yet to come?

  • ...
0
 68
 2,736

Choices

Rainbow Dash's POV.

What the heck, why was he suddenly coming here after almost eleven years? Oh Celestia, what was I going to tell Scootaloo? I told her that he had run out on me, but if he was coming to town...

No, I couldn't trust him, something was weird about this timing, and he couldn't just appear out of the blue like this without expecting me to become somewhat suspicious.

Stratosphere, years ago he had been my coltfriend while I lived in Manehattan for a little over a year. He had skipped out on me before Scootaloo was even born, I couldn't believe he had the gall to come back now!

I had to clear my head, Scootaloo was out with her friends and probably wouldn't be back for awhile so I had time to go for a flight. I opened the front door and took off so I could do some thinking.

It was hard to believe that 4 months had passed since Scootaloo moved in, sure things had been a bit rocky at the beginning, but things had gotten a lot better.

"Hey Rainbow," Twilight called out to me, I looked to see her flying up to me. "I'm glad I ran into you, I had an idea of who we could talk to."
"Oh, who's that?" I asked curiously.

"Well, the book mentioned a creature called Anarchy," Twilight reminded me as we flew along. "The Progenitor of the Dragonequi."

"Sounds like a fun guy," I said sarcastically. "And I thought dealing with Discord alone was... oh, you want to talk to Discord don't you?"

"Hey, if we need to find out about a Dragonequues, who bettter to ask than Discord?" Twilight pointed out, I hated to admit it, but I couldn't argue with that logic. "Are you up for it?"

"Yeah, if he can tell us anything about that, thing, it might at least be worth trying," I said. "There's something else I want to talk to you about though, I received a letter today, from Scootaloo's father."

"I thought you said you hadn't heard from him since before she was born," Twilight said, she sounded just as confused as I felt. "Why now?"

"I don't know, and he's on his way to Ponyville," I said. "What should I do, Twilight?"

"I, honestly don't know," Twilight admitted. "On one hoof, he might be trying to reconcile and genuinely wants to be part of Scootaloo's life.
On the other hoof, he spent the last decade shirking his responsibilities as her father. Honestly Rainbow, you're going to have to decide what to do on your own."

I hated to admit it, but while she was right, I had no idea what to do. I had hoped that Twilight would know what to do, she always knew what to do, the egghead.

"I spent most of the last decade shirking my responsibilites as her mother..." I pointed out, I hated to admit that was true, but it was.

"But you were there for her when it counted," Twilight pointed out. "Ultimately, that's what she's going to remember, that her mom was there for her when she really needed her."

"Yeah, you're right," I finally said. "But I still don't know what to do about Stratosphere."

"Scootaloo's a smart filly, maybe you should give her the option to meet him, and she'll make the decision for herself," Twilight said with a reassuring smile. "I think she'll be just fine."

"Okay, I'll talk to her later, right now we gotta talk to Discord," I said with a nod, we had reached Fluttershy's cottage and came in for a landing. Twilight knocked on the door and Fluttershy answered it.

"Oh, hi Twilight, Rainbow Dash," she said in that sweetly soft voice of her's. "Can I help you?"

"Uh, yeah, we were hoping to talk to Discord, is he here?" Twilight asked.

"Oh yes, he's here for tea," Fluttershy said. "Come on in."

We followed her inside, Discord was inside seated at the table and sipping tea. He gave us both that weird smile of his as he set the cup down.

"Why, Rainbow Dash its been forever," Discord said with a grin. "How's motherhood going?"

"Uh, fine, we're doing really well," I said with a nod. "Uh, we wanted to talk to you about something."

"Yes, we were reading up on ancient Equestria and we came across a mention of something called Anarchy," Twilight said, making Discord pause. "The, Progenitor of the Dragonequi? Do you know anything about it?"

"Why of course I do, I helped seal him away after all," Discord said with a grin. "And I'm the reason why he's still trapped."

We exchanged glances, this was going to be quite the story.

00000

Scootaloo's POV.

"Here you go, three milkshakes!" Pinkie Pie said happily as she set them down in front of us. "Enjoy."

"Thanks Pinkie Pie," I said as I took a drink of my milkshake, I was about to say something when Pinkie Pie suddenly started twitching.

"Huh, that was a new one, I wonder what it meant," she said, then bounced off.

"Well, nothin' is fallin' from tha sky right now," Apple Bloom said with a giggle. "What do ya'll think that was about?"

"I dunno, I think it was just Pinkie being Pinkie," I said with a shrug. "Who knows why that crazy pony does anything?"

"Something tells me we don't really want to know," Sweetie Belle said.

I couldn't help but chuckle at that, I had known Pinkie Pie ever since I had first arrived in Ponyville, and honestly I had never really wanted to figure out what went on in that crazy pony's head. Come to think of it, I think Twilight tried once, I'm amazed she came out of that sane.

"Well, it was probably nothin' big," Apple Bloom said as she set down her glass. "Hey, come on, Ah heard there's gonna be a train arrivin' from Las Pegasus today."

"So, trains arrive all the time," Sweetie Belle pointed out.

"Yeah, but we almost never get one from Las Pegasus," Apple Bloom countered. "Come on, it'll be fun, maybe we can find somepony ta help aboard."

"Sure, lets go," I said as we all got up and headed outside. I grabbed my scooter and we headed for the train station just as the train was starting to unload.

"Aww, looks like nothin' special," Apple Bloom said with a sigh, there wasn't very many Ponies getting off today I guessed.

That's when I saw it, a shadowy figure emerge, it looked like a Pony at first glance, but it wasn't... natural. It seemed to be surrounded by an aura, and looked around with deep, almost sunken eyes.

I didn't know what it was, and I didn't want to find out.

"Uh, I just remembered, I have to... ummm... wax Tank's shell, yeah, that's it," I said and hopped on my scooter and took off.

00000

Rainbow Dash's POV.

"You know, none of you ponies these days know what it means to face a true Eldritch Horror," Discord said as he casually examined his claw. "Well, at least most ponies don't, you two and your little friends know all to well don't you?"

"You mean Nightmare Moon," Twilight said, that's when it clicked, the book had referred to something called the Nightmare. "Nightmare Moon was one of the horrors wasn't she?"

"Yes, well, she certainly was, but she's not around anymore," Discord said. "So, tell me, what do you want to know about Anarchy?"

"Well, you know, what it was, how it was stopped, that kind of thing," I said.

"Anarchy was an ancient horror, a being born of pure chaos," Discord said. "Horrors are always born of either chaos or order, there is no middle ground."

"Order doesn't sound so bad," Twilight said, getting a laugh from Discord. "What's so funny?"

"You are my dear Twilight, you don't get just how dangerous Order is," Discord said. "Do you ever wonder why Celestia and Luna didn't kill me when they had the chance? End the threat to Equestria once and for all."

"Because they're above such things of course, you're a danger, but killing is still wrong," Twilight protested.

"Not when the situation calls for it, it was war my dear Princess, and in my experience, war never changes," Discord said taking a drink of tea. "Oh wait, wrong universe, I really need to stop getting them mixed up."

"Uh, what are you talking about?" I asked, looking at Discord strangely, he was acting weirder than usual.

"Don't worry about that, anyway, I wasn't killed because the "harmony" you live in is created by balance," Discord said. "Balance between order and chaos, and the Eldritch Horrors exist to destroy that balance and push it all the way to their side. Which is why I was created along with my species, to spread chaos."

"I thought you'd enjoy that," Twilight pointed out. "You love chaos."

"Of course I do, but a world devoid of order just isn't as much fun," Discord said. "Without order, you don't know what chaos is. So we turned on him, locked him away, and as long as there is a single Dragonequues left in this world, he remains trapped."

That's when it hit me, Discord was still alive to keep Anarchy sealed away, it was the only thing that made sense. That must've been part of the reason Celestia pushed to get him redeemed too.

"So, why don't you tell me about this creature that you encountered?" Discord asked.

"Well, it had a lot of tentacles," I said. "And Scootaloo said that it had this feeling of... longing to it, like it wanted something."
Discord looked thoughtful for a long moment and shook his head. "I can't help you, sorry," he said. "But you might want to talk to someone else, I do remember hearing about that from someone."

"Who's that?" Twilight asked.

"Tirek," Discord said. "Or perhaps look into the writings of Love Craft, I'm sure that you can find them easily."

And with that he vanished with a snap of his claw.

"Okay, that, wasn't incredibly helpful," I groaned.

"Well, we did learn some things," Twilight said. "You go talk to Scootaloo, I'm going to see about getting into Tartarus to talk to Tirek."

"Okay," I said and headed out after saying good-bye to Fluttershy.

I just had to hope that whatever we had seen wasn't going to come back.