• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,099 Views, 12 Comments

Clockwork Wings - Aphotic

  • ...
4
 12
 1,099

What We Leave Behind

(Corkscrew)

As Fluttershy rested I went back to work assembling Clockwork wings. It is a long, tedious job. Before grabbing my tools I looked back over at her from my work bench. She was sound asleep and should remain that way for a few days. I put enough acetaminophen in the IV to make sure she wouldn't feel a thing in the alloted ammount time. Her injuries were major with the three cracked and six fractured ribs, cracked skull, and major lacerations along her back and sternum. It was a very chilling sight to see but the fact she was still alive is a miracle. The sight of her reminded me of my exile as I worked on the Clockworks, drifting away into a memory.

<><><><><><><><><>8 years ago<><><><><><><><><>

"Alright, I need to head to work honey and Doctor," I said as he set the clipboard down "Make sure she's ok when I get back. I don't want my little foal to be droopy eyed when it comes out!" I finished, laughing as I did so.

"Ha, don't worry Corkscrew I'll call you before when she goes into labor," Red Cross said with a chuckle as I walked over to my wife. I rubbed and kissed her belly believing that me little foal could feel it. I then leaned over and kissed my wife too before going to work. I trotted over and hopped out the window and saw we were about two stories up. I leaped through it and fell towards the puffy cloud cover. When I hit the clouds buckled under the pressure but quickly rebounded. I started off, It was a good day as the sun shown over the clouds letting a cool breeze run along them. I watched as the town slowly changed before me. Since the URCF had taken over and a new government was founded more earth and unicorn ponies joined us in the clouds. Along with that the town was filling up with Steam Docks as the URCF demanded more hangars for there ships. Everyone except for a few of us had to go work the dock yards or on the ships. I was lucky enough to be enacted to be an engineer so for the URCF. My job was making new contraptions or instruments for use on the ships. I continued to walked over to the dock yard I worked at. I had a small workshop in the corner office. It was a nice place with littered parts, chipped paint from the steam, and oil stains. Sounds terrible but I like a littler dirt. So I continued on to the dock yard and saw a few URCF troops were watching me as I walked. I waved at them but they returned my kindness with a cold, daunting look. I felt uneasy as I walked through the massive hanger doors. Everyone was working tediously repairing the admirable ships or cleaning the hull. The hulls on the steams ships needed to constantly be fixed because of the water damage or rebel attacks. I walked by smiling and waving at my coworkers but they all looked away. "They must be busy?" I thought to myself.

I entered my office and shut the door quickly behind me to buffer the rigorous sounds of saws. I walked in a looked over at my desk. A clip board was laying on there and it must have the specs for the new instrument on it. I waltzed over to my desk and retrieved the oil stained schematics. I studied them carefully as I walked over to my bench setting the clip board down on it while turning around. I was quickly startled as the three URCF soldiers from before were now in my office. I jumped back and knocked over my tools. They made a loud, clanging noise as they hit the wood panel below the bench.

The middle one in the group moved forwards and stood tall in front of me "Corkscrew, you have been labeled a brand and are being expelled from society," He said in a stern tone.

"W-what have I done though?" I asked briefly.

"It's confidential," He replied.

"My ass it's confidential and you can't do this! I have worked within the law and have a kid on the way!"

"I can and I will, now come quietly!" He demanded as his two comrades moved forwards. I leaned back on my hind legs bracing myself for a fight. I saw the one in front of me turn around so I charged him. I hit him head on sending us both into a flail of limbs as we toppled into the wall. I got up quickly and ran out of my office then jumped into the air and flew as fast I could out of the hanger. My heart was racing, my mind was flogged as I tried to figure out why I was branded. I flew in the direction of the hospital. My wings quickly began to tire under the strain. I wobbled in the air a bit unknowing to the fact that the URCF had a lock on me. I heard a hissing noise then a boisterous bang. The noise caught my attention and I looked back to see an intimidating harpoon coming at me. I dodged to the right but didn't react fast enough. It planted itself deep into my left wing sending fiery wave of torment through me. The weight of the harpoon sent me plummeting to the cloud cover but they wanted me on board. I felt a slight tug then the rope on the harpoon jerked back hard, ripping my wing off as I fell. I cried out in pain as I barreled in free fall. I hit the cloud cover forcefully causing me to slide across the clouds. I rolled over myself a few times and hit the wall of the hospital.

I couldn't move , I was frozen by my cowardice and angst. I was worried they would kill me within ear shot of my wife. I didn't want her to see this, I didn't want her to know. I yelled in pain as I pulled myself from the soft, malleable wall. Doctors and patients crowded the windows as they watched this spectacle unfold before them. The URCF soldiers dismounted there runners and were slowly approaching me. The center one had a machete in his mouth and a dauntless look in his eyes. I fell to my knees and looked up at my wifes bedroom window to see her head peaking out. I heard a muffled howl and listen more closely to the noise.

"Stop! Run Corkscrew! Run!" she screamed. I looked at her and and saw the sparkle of tears running down her face. The soldiers were now upon me and a dead feeling came over me. I closed my eyes and two of the URCF soldiers rugged hoofs grasped my neck. They through me to the clouds and then proceeded to plant their front hooves on my arms. I was held down with my face first in the clouds. I felt the pony with the machete get a steady grip on my lifeless wing. He brought it up and held it firmly in place.

"By order of the URCF you are here by expelled from society!" He yelled as I heard the sound of a blade whizzing through the air.

I managed to pull my head to the side letting tears cascade down my face. I looked at my wife, "Look away Quill!" I yelled as the blade found it's way through the roots in my wing. I screamed in my affliction as the other ponies let go allowing me to weakly rise. I fought past the pain of both my wings and heart so I could stand. My legs became like jello as I used the last bit of my strength to look at Quill, "I'm so sorry," I cried softly to her. I knew she couldn't here it but I knew she felt it deep in her chest. I sank back down on my hind legs knowing that my fight was over. I coughed in vein as one of the soldiers planted his hoof in the back of my head. I was forced through the clouds as thoughts raced through my fading sanity. The last thing I remember doing was praying that my little filly would never know. That he would hear me to be a good honorable colt instead of another slaughtered brand.

<><><><>Present<><><><>



I looked up from my work diligently inspecting it. I was about half way done with the chassis. The only piece missing was the animator crystal. The machine looked lifeless with no motion and an empty heart. I reached over and diligently grabbed one of the extra crystals. I returned and gently placed the animator crystal into the heart of the chassis. It glowed a vibrant pink hue and sent a spark of life throughout the machine. I watched astounded by this sight as it began to enchant the gears. I touched the animator crystal and the machine started to hum. Gears began to tick and the rods used for the stem of the silk wings began to retract. I was pleased with my work as a sense of self satisfaction came over me. I leaned back on my stool and looked cock eyed at the sky. The moon was above the hanger now and it lit the specks of dust carelessly floating around the hangar. I heard a rustling come from Fluttershy's bed and I looked over to see she was just adjusting. The moon beams lit her spot of rest and the machines shined in the light. Looking at her reminded me of how crazy she made my day. I laughed since I haven't had a day like this in years.

I rose slowly from the stool and my lower back cracked. I winced at the pain and rubbed the area as I walked to my bed. It was a callous walk since my legs were numb from sitting all day. Bags were forming under my eyes and my vission became foggy. I uncontrollably yawned as the walk became to stressful and collapsed on the dirt floor of the hangar. I didn't want to move from my spot. I was to tired to want to and I drifted away. Letting the rays of the moon comfort my coat as I began to slumber.