• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,099 Views, 12 Comments

Clockwork Wings - Aphotic

  • ...
4
 12
 1,099

Grounded

"No, No! Please let me try again! I'll do better, please no, N-Ahhh!" I screamed as the doctor ran the jagged blade to my delicate wings. I bit down in agony, grinding my teeth as tears cascaded down my face. Feathers and blood fell in abundance towards the ground as he continued to cut. I felt a snap as they forcefully ripped the wing from the last tendons holding it on. The pain was immense, spikes of distress shot through my ached body. My stomach churned as I held back the pain. Forcing it down deep within myself. My vision began to blur as my affliction continued. The only thing I could feel was the decimation of my wings. They cut vigorously through the next wing, ripping it off all the same. My body spammed as my soul flared, my heart wallowed in pity as the one thing that made me a Pegasus was stripped from me. Shattered at my feet, destroyed and there was nothing I could do.

I laid on the debased metal table, the straps chaffed my body. I couldn't move as an overwhelming feeling of helplessness crashed over me. I couldn't fly, I couldn't go home and all that I could do was cry. I let the tears fall from my tired eyes, they dotted the ground below me and stained my coat. I wallowed in pity at myself as I was turned into an abomination of my kind. A Pegasus without wings and without a life. I remained strapped down and heard a commotion from behind me. A blustering hissing noise filled the air. I couldn't see what was going to happen as my heart began to race. The noise came closer, close enough to enact fear. Beads of sweat, fear and pain speckled my brow as I struggled more and more. Soon I could feel a warming sensation on my back as I contested. Suddenly I felt sharp, blisteringly hot metal rod hit my sensitive wounds, I screamed as the torture continued. I wanted it to stop, I wanted to be set free but my only freedom came from my body shutting down from the pain. Blacking out, allowing me to relax for the first time in years.

I emerged from my sudden slumber and immediately jumped up to look at my surroundings. It was a dank, disheartening place with blood stains decorating the walls. I noticed hay was covering the floor I sat down. I felt the gentle vibrations of the steam engine. I leaned forward to rest my head in my hooves, relieved that my torture was almost over. Yet the sad fact is that my torture will never truly be over. For now I am a freak, an outcast of my people and newfound government. I was distraught with this blatant fact for my mark will be forever seen to everypony and myself. I sniffed to clear my nose as tears welled in my eyes. I whimpered softly as I felt the steam ship begin to descend. I heard footsteps outside my cell. The sounds of metal clanging on the ground filled the air as a shadow was cast under my door. I looked up from my forlorn state to see my door opening. It hissed as the bolt locks disengaged. The ominous creak it made as it swung ajar was most discomforting. I winced at the sound, shuddering and sliding farther back into the corner of my cell. I was praying that they would leave me alone. "no more torture, no more pain." I said to to myself as my back slammed against the back wall. An abounding figure walked in casting an aphotic shadow on my floor. It walked in as I covered my eyes but still managed to peek as they spoke.

"You, "brand", we're landing momentarily so get up and follow me!" He demanded. I was to afraid to move and my body fought every attempt I made. I continued to cower, planted flush against my back wall crying softly in fear. I hid my head in my arms to block all vision of the abounding figure. I heard him sigh stressfully and could feel the pressure change as his arm hung over me. It crashed onto my neck gripping it firmly. I gasped and squeaked in pain at its enduring grip. My neck cracked at the pressure. My body froze and my legs went limp as he carried me out. I was dragged across the molded wood floors. Steam shot through the cracks and some dripped from the rusted piping above. I didn't struggle as he drug me forcefully through the corridor. I looked at the other metal cage doors like mine that adorned the walls. They were filled with prisoners mostly and I was sure I'm the only Brand on board. I looked down and watched the boards fly by as tears still weld in my eyes. The pony holding me slowed his pace. I felt wind as we neared the end of the corridor. He stopped in front of a large metal door letting cool air flow over my coat, cooling my body. I felt the grip on my neck tighten as I was taken higher and was soon thrown into the room. I hit the ground forcefully, barreling over a few times before sliding to a stop.

I shook my head trying to regain some of my composure. I looked around the room prudently, studying the architecture. It was a hanger bay or the east hangar bay to be specific. A few steam runners were parked behind me resting there heated engines. I looked wide eyed as I saw the hanger bay was open which could only mean one thing for a brand. Another large pony walked over to me. He was wearing a tan jump suit with the URCF insignia decorating his chest. The URCF was the United Races Coalition Force. Unicorns and earth ponies united to share the title of superior races. The pony had black glasses on, his coat was grey and he had white, spiked hair. He walked over to me with a look of disgusted was shown in his face.

"Stand up brand!" He demanded bitterly. I stood up, my legs shook under the strain as my body popped a little at the motions. Soon I was standing in front of the bulky pony. He stared me down through his thick, charcoal glasses. "What is your name brand?" He asked.

"M-my name is...."

"Speak!" He screamed cutting me off. I sank back onto my hind legs and my words desisted. For a moment I couldn't speak but was soon able to finish,

"F-Fluttershy," I squeaked.

"Fluttershy, by orders of the URCF you have been labeled a brand. As punishment, your wings have been removed. You will now live the remainder of your life "Grounded". Unable to return to your once cloud paradise," he stated as if reciting it directly from a manual. I sat down allowing the tears welling in my eyes again to fall. My fears had been realized and they were going to remove me. He walked over to me as I stood back up without difficulty this time. I accepted the punishment before me. I walked with the large pony, as my tears plummeted to the floor speckling it. I was soon looking over the edge of the steam ship. The cloud layer was carelessly floating beneath us. I soon felt a small sense of joy looking at the clouds but it was bittersweet for they would not catch me this time. I took in my last breath of air and closed my eyes, embracing the inevitable.

"By orders of the URCF, you are removed from society!" He grunted kicking my flank sending me over the edge. I was now free falling to my death. The clouds whizzed by me, letting go of me as I fell. I continued to plummet, bereavement and anguish were the only thing accompanying me on this fall. I laughed a little at my final thoughts for they weren't of my past. They were of my future. I found humor in it's inconsistence. How it flashed from my tomb to actual life was both humorous and despondent. I fell further and faster noticing mountains out of the corner of my eye. I hit the tree line hard, branches snapped at the duress of my fall. They ripped and tore at my body, bloodying the ground below me. I hit hard, indenting the soil to which I now lay battered and ready to be taken. I closed my eyes as a cool embrace overcame my senses and I slowly drifted away.