• Published 7th Jun 2016
  • 3,752 Views, 133 Comments

A Dazzling Mismatch - Shadowmane PX-41



One day, The Dazzlings find perfect copies of their old pendants. But when they put them on, something strange happens...

  • ...
13
 133
 3,752

Old War Wounds

"So let me get this straight." Sunset Shimmer paced back and forth through the coffee shop. The Rainbooms were sitting down on one table, with the Dazzlings sitting on the one adjacent to it. "This pawn shop just randomly had copies of your old gems, so you decided to go in and buy them without any rhyme or reason why they were there? And when you put them on, they switched your bodies?"

"Yep. That's pretty much the long and short of it." Sonata nodded and rubbed her legs with her hands.

"This is terrible. Simply utterly dreadful!" Rarity grimaced at the Dazzlings. "The colours on Aria completely clash with her hair! And golden doesn't really go well with Sonata's new look. Oh! And let's not forget the walking mess of fuchsia and grass that covers Adagio's body! This is a disaster of epic proportions!"

"Really, Rarity?" Rainbow Dash face-palmed and shook her head. "The Dazzlings; the very sirens that turned Canterlot High against one another are back, and you're more worried about their FASHION SENSE?!"

"It's not like I had a choice of clothes in the matter, Rainbooms!" Aria lurched forward towards the others. "I'm stuck in Sonata's body because of these gems, and her baby clothes are all that I got." She crossed her arms. Though, now that I'm wearing them, they're much more comfortable than I expected...

"They're not baby clothes!" Sonata chided and stuck her tongue out at Aria. "They're cutesy clothes!"

"Oh, stow it, you two!" Adagio covered both of their mouths with her hands. "We have more important manners to discuss rather than articles of clothing. Right now, we need to focus on finding a way back into our original bodies."

"Honestly, I say we shold just smash those gems one more time and get it over with." Applejack glared at the Dazzlings and shook her fist. "If ah have to see anyone else fight because of you three, ah'm gonna end up punchin' something!"

"Calm down, Applejack. They're probably trying to make you angry." Twilight gently massaged Applejack's shoulders to try and alleviate her emotions. "Crystal Prep taught me that the best way to deal with people who make others angry is to not get involved in any of their affairs. If we just leave the Dazzlings alone, then you won't have to get angry at them."

"Twilight. The Dazzlings are sirens that were banished from Equestria." Fluttershy gently held onto Twilight's arm to get her attention. "Similar to Greek mythology, their songs are so alluring that no-one can resist them. Only instead of making sailors crash into ships, these sirens sing, and then eat the anger that their audience feels afterwards."

"Technically, I think that these humans need to update and fact-check their history books." Adagio Dazzle pulled out a phone and flipped through the different applications that she had installed on it. "Not only is it entirely misleading, but it's also factually inaccurate. Real sirens don't look like grotesque human-fish hybrids."

"If anything, they look more like hippocampuses!" Sonata blurted out. "Well, at least to us. If anything, the only real change that our mortal bodies feel are pairs of wings and longer hair. That's all."

"It just sickens me to know that the sirens of this world are just pretenders." Aria scoffed and turned away. "They do have one thing in common with us, though."

"And what's that?" Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow.

"They're smoking hot." Aria Blaze flapped her eyebrows and gave Rainbow a coy smile.

"What does that have to do with anything?!" Pinkie Pie gawked at Aria's response and threw her arm out.

"Sometimes, I cannot take you girls seriously." Sunset groaned and turned away from the Dazzlings.

"Admit it, Rainbooms. You're just jealous that we're incredibly hot, and you're nothing more than bragging teenagers yakking away on your phones, deciding who you want to go to the prom with, and saying those annoying three letters." Adagio smirked and flexed her fingers. "There's no shame in being ugly. It's a common trend with all mortals."

"Bragging teenagers? Prom dates? Ripping on O.M.G.?!" Pinkie Pie stomped forward and got up to the Dazzlings' faces. "Now I don't feel bad about not sharing my tacos with you on Taco Tuesday!"

"Honestly, what kind of stereotypes do you take us for?" Rarity got up to her feet and pushed her arms down by her sides. "Do you think that every teenage girl in this country brags? Or overdoses on make-up and prom dates? Or decides to overuse the word 'like' or the saying 'O.M'G.'? As an individual lady, I myself am quite furious with how you think of us!"

"Oh, give it a rest, Rarity. No-one was even going to notice your trampy clothes at the Battle of the Bands." Adagio taunted, flicking her hair back against her shoulders. "You and your friends threw arguments with each other for no reason, and it almost led to your downfall."

"T-trampy?" Rarity froze on the spot as that word echoed in her mind. Her hands went numb, and her pupils dilated. She had never heard that word to describe her clothes before in the past. "I... I..." Tears started to form in her eyes and she fell to her knees, sobbing and wailing like a baby. "She called my clothes trampy!"

"Great. Look what you did. You made Rarity cry!" Rainbow Dash wrapped her arm around Rarity and gnashed her teeth at the Dazzlings. "Are you happy?"

"Yes. I'm very freaking happy!" Aria pushed Rainbow Dash down to the floor and sat down on her chest. "I don't want to ever see you girls happy after the way you ripped us from our gems before! The only reason I'm not beating you to death and writing out your epitaphs is because I have my gem back, and I'm feeling quite merciful today!"

"Ah'm all fer agreeing that Rarity's clothing choice added nothing to the band, but that's absolutely NO excuse to insult her for it!" Applejack walked forward and threw her arms in front of Rarity and Rainbow Dash. "Ah can't even tell if you three are worse back at the Battle of the Bands, or right here and now in yer newfangled bodies!"

"I don't even think you need to choose, AJ. They're always going to be the Dazzlings, and they're never going to change." Rainbow Dash placed her free hand on Applejack's back. "That's why I say we should just destroy their gems again and just get it over with!"

"Yeah! I agree with Rainbow Dash!" Pinkie Pie nodded vigorously. "There's no reason for those big meanies to even be in this town anymore! Let's run them out again!"

"Oh, and don't think that we've forgotten about you, Pinkie Pie." Adagio waltzed up to Pinkie and gently rubbed her neck and shoulders while looking at her seductively. "Poor little Pinkie Pie. Too focused on cakes and cupcakes to think about anything really important. No wonder you weren't performing that well at the Battle of the Bands. I'm surprised that you were even focused during the contest. I thought you would've been like 'ooh! fun! la-di-dah! I'm too stupid to realize that I'm playing in a band rather than saving the world'!" Adagio performed a near-perfect Pinkie Pie impersonation. "That's what you sound like, isn't it?"

"Why... you..." Pinkie Pie spluttered and choked on her own words, making claws out of her hands as she tried to comprehend what Adagio had said. "I've never seen a meaner meanie in my life! And believe me, I've met some pretty big meanies!"

"If anything, the one girl that I can kinda sympathise here with is Fluttershy." Sonata walked up to Fluttershy and gently patted her on the shoulders. "I remember how I always asked Adagio and Aria to sing my songs at the Battle of the Bands, but they never said yes to my songs. I'm right there with ya, sister. I know how it feels to be shut out of the rest of the band."

"Sonata, most of the songs that you wrote are all about candy, chewing gum, and pink fluffy unicorns." Aria broke out of her glaring contest with Rainbow Dash and Applejack to get a brief glimpse of Sonata. "The Dazzlings don't do mushy stuff. We do songs that drive people to fight. We always have and always will."

"Hmmph! You're no fun." Sonata pouted at Aria and turned her back to her.

"Well, maybe we might change it up a little." Sonata gently poked at Aria's ribs. "Besides. Don't forget. She's in you, and you're in me, and me in her makes one, two, three!" she sing-songed, letting a little chuckle slip.

"Forgive Sonata, girls. She was dropped on her head as a baby siren, and she's been acting that way ever since." Adagio walked over Sonata and put her hand over her mouth once more. "I'm surprised that mom allowed her to stay with us after that."

"I was NOT dropped on my head, Adagio!" Sonata shot back, throwing her arms out ot her sides. "I'm just special in my own way. That's all!"

"Can we just get back on track please?" Twilight Sparkle raised a finger at all of the girls, not even noticing the tension between each side. "We were talking about how the Dazzlings got back into power, and then we just devolved into random name-calling, rude teasing, and downright nonsense!"

"I don't really think that there's going to be any reasoning with the other girls." Sunset Shimmer walked over to Twilight and watched the Rainbooms and Dazzlings stare at each other. She saw the sparks fly from their eyes. "They hate the Dazzlings so much that it's gonna take a really long time for them to get over the events of the Battle of the Bands."

"Well they're going to have to do it somewhere else." A woman with blue skin and pink hair that looked akin to that of cake frosting walked up to Sunset and Twilight. "Their foul mood is making the other customers feel really unsettled, and if they can't control themselves, then I'll just have to make them leave."

"Sorry, Mrs. Cake." Sunset Shimmer gave her a nod before walking back to her friends. "We were just going now. We didn't mean to upset your business." She started to push the Rainbooms towards the door, straining and struggling as she tried to make them move.

"Sunset? What in the heck are you doing?!" Rainbow whispered into Sunset's ears.

"If you don't stop fighting, then we're going to get kicked out, Rainbow Dash." Sunset Shimmer continued to push her friends towards the doors. "Hating the Dazzlings is fine, but can we PLEASE do it somewhere else? People are watching us."

"I suppose we've entertained the seven of you long enough." Adagio Dazzle walked towards the door with Aria and Sonata close behind us. "If it's any consolation, it was very nice to share those old war wounds with you again. Maybe next time you could throw real temper tantrums and give us something good to eat, instead of just a weak appetizer."

"Hear hear." Aria Blaze walked out of the doors and down the streets.

"See you soon!" Sonata waved and followed after the other Dazzlings.

Once the Dazzlings left, there was a long silence between everyone inside the coffee shop. Sunset Shimmer slowly stood upright and took in deep breaths as the other Rainbooms took their seats once again. This went on for a while until Sunset finally let out a sigh and looked towards her friends.

"You really need anger management classes, you know that?" Sunset Shimmer eyed up her friends.

"What do you mean anger management? We're fine!" Rainbow slammed her fist down on the table, causing the cutlery to bounce and clash against it.

"No you're not. You almost let yourselves get angry and play right into their hands again." Sunset Shimmer tipped her hand towards the other Rainbooms. "I know that you're all still teenagers, but if you can't learn to keep your anger in check, then you'll just be making them stronger and stronger. The last thing we need is another Dazzlings crisis."

"Well there's certainly no way of stopping them now after you just let them get away like that." Rarity cocked a brow at Sunset Shimmer and leaned in towards her. "Did they hire you to be a pacifist? Is that it?"

"Sunset's telling the truth, girls." Twilight Sparkle raised a finger to grab the attention of the others. "The Dazzlings are nothing more than trolls who just love to poke fun at others and make them angry just to see the reactions."

"Technically, they're sirens, not trolls." Pinkie Pie smiled. "Trolls are all ugly and carry giant clubs. Sirens are beautiful women who charm people with their singing."

"It's still the same thing, Pinkie." Applejack shook her head. "Ah honestly don't see those three as beautiful—especially not after what they did to our school!"

"If you would let me finish..." Twilight gritted her teeth and snarled at the other girls. "Sunset's right. You're all overstimulated teenage girls who let yourselves get angry for no good reason back there. At Crystal Prep, we didn't condone any sense of bullying, teasing, or anger. Cinch molded all of us to be perfect, and I was hoping that her influence could kind of rub off on you in the form of me. I could be your mediators."

"Principal Cinch is an eighty-nine year old hag who should've been put in a retirement home instead of Crystal Prep Academy. Her actions got her thrown in prison. Don't you remember?" Rainbow Dash said.

"I'm not going to let you girls sit idly by and let yourselves get worked up over the silliest of reasons." Twilight deflected the question. "Sunset Shimmer's clearly in the right, and you're all in the wrong, and are letting yourselves fulfill the Dazzlings' wishes. Never feed the trolls."

"They're not trolls!" Pinkie Pie threw her arms into the air.

"I give up!" Twilight quickly stood up from her chair, slamming it back into the table as she marched off to the door. "Just let yourselves be angry then. Make the Dazzlings happy! I don't care anymore! You're not even listening to me!"

Sunset Shimmer followed after Twilight and looked back at the Rainbooms once more. "Girls. I'm not mad at you, but I am disappointed. After all that we've been through together, I would've expected you to have handled the Dazzlings a little more cleanly." She pushed the door open. "I've gotta check on Twilight. In the meantime, you should all go home and relax. There's no point in getting angry over anything. It'll only make things worse." And with that, she walked out of the establishment, leaving the Rainbooms to think on their actions.

Another period of silenced followed when Sunset left the coffee shop. This time, the Rainbooms were quietly looking around, gently sliding the tips of their shoes on the ground as they had time to reflect on what Sunset had said, and how they had confronted the Dazzlings. So many emotions ran through their heads right now. They wanted to make Sunset and Twilight happy, but their long-standing grudge with Adagio, Aria, and Sonata was making it really difficult for them to avoid their own anger.

The more that they thought about the Battle of the Bands and the recent fight, the more conflicted their emotions got. It was getting increasingly difficult for them to choose what they should feel and how they should approach the sirens again. They could think of nothing but hatred when they even thought of the Dazzlings, yet at the same time, they felt merciful towards Twilight and Sunset because of what they had done in the past, and they wanted to set a good example for her.

"I've gotta go." Rainbow Dash stood up and walked towards the door. "I've gotta get back to Anarchy Goddesses. There's a new Raid Boss event starting up, and I don't want to miss out on any of the loot."

"I suppose I should go too." Rarity got up from her seat as well. "Those dresses aren't going to sew themselves, and I do need to recover a bit after Adagio insulted me like that."

"And the animals at the shelter need some more help after that massive epidemic last week..." Fluttershy slowly got up as well. "Do you want to come? I'd love the extra hands."

"Sorry, Fluttershy. The Apple Family need me fer a harvest going on today." Applejack picked her hat off of her head and walked out of the building. "Not one apple's gotta be wasted. Ah hope you understand."

"I understand." Pinkie Pie walked over towards the desk and put on a little apron. "It's time for my shift anyway. It was nice talking to you all, though." She waved them all off as they went out of the building.

The Rainbooms all parted their ways, thinking about what had happened inside the building, and what their next course of action would be. They needed to find a way to stop the Dazzlings again, but their emotions had gotten the better of them, and they needed to be more prepared for any future encounters with them.

Author's Note:

Sorry it's taken me so long to update this story, but there was so much other stuff that I had to get done with my life, what with the last couple of weeks at college and my new Yo-kai Watch crossover fic. I barely had any time to gt back to a Dazzling Mismatch.

Regardless, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and if you did, then be sure to upvote the story, comment on it, and share it with your friends.

(For some odd and unexplained reason, upvotes are worth more than actual favourites on this website, but I'm not sure how...:rainbowhuh:)