• Published 7th Jun 2016
  • 3,752 Views, 133 Comments

A Dazzling Mismatch - Shadowmane PX-41



One day, The Dazzlings find perfect copies of their old pendants. But when they put them on, something strange happens...

  • ...
13
 133
 3,752

Adagio's Plan

Adagio Dazzle wasn't exactly the perfect human being. Or rather, she wasn't the perfect fish-horse that had been turned into a human being. But still, she had a plan to make sure that she and the others got rid of those cursed gemstones and got their proper selves back. What happened after the fact was still up in the air to her, but she didn't care about that. She didn't care about potentially losing her siren powers again. Adagio just needed to be herself again. The sooner that she got rid of the grouchy, mindless nature of Aria Blaze, the better.

"Twilight? Sunset? Could I have a few words with you?" She asked, as she noticed that the rest of the Rainbooms were busy humouring her two sisters with their pursuits. Or in short and snappier terms, they were making sure that they didn't do some stupid game that would have ended with the house in shambles.

"Sure thing, Adagio." Sunset nodded, then turned towards Twilight. "Come on, Twilight." She gently tugged at her arm and followed Adagio out of the kitchen and up the stairs leading to the mezzanine. Sunset had to wonder to herself exactly what Adagio was planning to try and fix her and her sisters. She knew that taking the crystals off would have caused them to switch back, but at the cost of their powers. And she knew that the sirens wouldn't have been able to thrive without their magic. In freeing them from their personality switch dilemma, she was re-mortalising them and making them all vulnerable once again. Was it really worth it to leave them high and dry again? Or was the morally right decision to leave them without powers, and hence without the ability to re-hypnotise people and leech off of their anger? Sunset had some time to weigh out the pros and cons of each option as the three of them made their way towards Adagio's room.

Once inside the room, Adagio made absolutely sure that nobody else was following them and closed the door behind her. Then, for added protection, she pulled out a key and shoved it into the lock, turning it to make sure that nobody else could get inside and eavesdrop on her plan. "Alright, girls. I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired of having this stupid brat's personality stuck in my head; especially when it's causing me to think more and more like her with each passing second!"

"So, you've made your choice, then?" Sunset lifted a brow. "You're totally fine with going back to having no magic whatsoever?"

"Honestly, I don't really care about the magic anymore. I mean, they sold us on that, but I'm not even sure if it even works..." Adagio rolled her eyes. "I mean, I could try, but I don't want to turn the two of you into raging pig-voice girls; especially since you're completely agreeing with me that these things need to go."

"I know that it can be incredibly touch, Adagio. To go back on everything that you've ever believed in and wanted. Trust me, I was in the same place as you were," said Twilight, remembering well the days that she had spent at Crystal Prep and the dreams that she had once had. "Whatever happens after the fact, remember that we're all here for you and the other Dazzlings. We can be your friends; we can help you get what you want, so long as you let us help you."

"I'll keep that in mind." Despite Adagio's deadpan tone, she had honesty in her voice. She knew that without magic, she and the others would struggle to survive in a world like this. They had spent all of their lives feeding on the negativity of others and sociopathically manipulating them to handing life to them on a silver platter. And when that didn't work, they always relied on force to get the job done. But then, the Rainbooms had come along and changed that in more ways than one. From being humbled at Canterlot High's Battle of the Bands tournament to this dilemma with the swapped personalities that Adagio and the others had come under, it seemed like magic was more of a forlorn dream more than a want for Adagio.

"So, what's your plan, Adagio?" Twilight asked, pushing her glasses closer to her face. "How are you gonna convince Aria and Sonata to give up their gemstones as well?"

"Well, it's simple. First, we'll play along with whatever hair-brained activities they have planned. Then, when they're distracted, I'll go and find something similar to our gems," as she said this, Adagio tried to look around the room for something. She knew that there was going to be something in there for her to use to serve as a bait and switch item, but Sonata had been in this room with her mind. If things weren't in plain sight, then they would have most likely been stuffed into the closet and re-organised by Sonata, so she had no clue where things would have been. She just had to pray that her search wouldn't have been too time-consuming and attract Aria and Sonata towards her. "If I could ever find it, that is..." Adagio waltzed over towards the closet and opened it wide. Even looking at the changes that Sonata had made was enough to make her wince. "Oh, sweet lord, Sonata... See, this is why we should have still kept our rooms even with the personality switches."

Sunset couldn't help but snigger internally at Adagio's dilemma as she tried to make sense of the mess that Sonata had made of the closet. As Adagio tried to fix the changes that Sonata had made, the shelves collapsed; spilling the contents down onto Adagio's body. That was when the sniggering was replaced. A twisted expression of shock found its' way onto Sunset's face. She took a step forward to try and offer her hand to Adagio try and clean up the mess had been made, but Adagio just erupted out of the pile.

"NOT. ONE. WORD," Adagio scowled; with metaphorical fire in her eyes as she climbed out of the pile of closet items. "This is gonna take a while to clean up, girls. So for now, I think you two should go down and help the Rainbooms out with making sure that my sisters are kept in order."

"I... don't think we should just leave you like that, Adagio." Twilight walked forward and started to pull items out of the pile, laying them down on the bed. It gave Adagio some room to get out and brush herself down. During which, Twilight had the time to rapidly assess the objects that had spilled and lay them out in an orderly fashion.

"Not to deny your help, ladies, but this is all my personal collection of human items. The last thing I need is for someone to manhandle my museum," Adagio glared backwards at Sunset and Twilight. "That is a term you use, right? Manhandling? Sounds so weird. So... human." She scoffed, sticking her tongue out as she went back to her work.

"And you're saying there's a problem with humans?" Twilight lifted her own brow. "That's funny, considering you're a human yourself."

"Trust me, Princess Twilight, if this world wasn't so clammy about its' bodies, I would've been myself all the time. So would've Aria and Sonata. But sadly, this world doesn't like magical monsters from another world, so they turn every single one of them into a flabby meatsack like this." Adagio didn't even bother to look back at the others. She simply lifted her leg. "I mean look at this! LOOK AT IT! How is anyone supposed to live like this? Walking on these tree branch things? What I wouldn't give to trade this for my tail, so I could just fly everywhere..."

"Uh, they're called legs, Adagio. And not everything has to have them." Sunset folded her arms. "You come from Equestria, you know. So do I. You leeched off of ponies and they had legs. So what's with the leg discrimination?"

"Because pony legs were much more durable than human legs. Seriously. Compare the leg of an Equestria pony to these... twigs here. And you'll see straight away which is the better option," Adagio chided. "Even if I look like the sexiest woman alive, it doesn't help the fact that my legs and these... arm things are hideous. Just give me my siren tail and my two front hooves any day."

"Okay, okay. Let's not lose our cools over arms and legs. Let's just focus on the plan for now." Sunset put her hand on Adagio's shoulder. It caused her to stall for a second, but she still went on regardless, rummaging around the pile of assorted human items to try and find what she needed. "So, we just have to go down and handle your sisters."

"Yes." Adagio nodded. "You can go ahead and get started whenever you want, ladies. This might take a while." She waved them off with her back turned to them, which prompted Sunset and Twilight to turn towards the door, unlock it, and head out. "Leave the key on the side. I'll lock back up behind you."

Twilight and Sunset had some time to think between themselves as Adagio was left to her own devices in her room. They knew that the sirens had all come from Equestria, and that the customs and fundamentals of the human world a far cry from what they had been used to. How they managed to survive in this world purely on magic and not on anything else was still an enigma to all of them. Even when all this was said and done, would the sirens even fit in the human world? Or would they have been more comfortable back home in Equestria? Regardless of where they were, this would have left them high and dry with no magic to call their own if Adagio followed through with this idea of hers. But at the same time, if the other sirens caught wind of her plan to take away their powers and retrieve their normal minds, then that would have presented an entirely new can of worms for the three of them.

"Hey, Sunset? Are you sure that this is all a good idea?" Twilight finally asked, looking into her friend's eyes. "I mean, just leaving the sirens like this after we get their proper personalities back in the right bodies?"

"What makes you say that, Twilight?" Sunset asked.

"Well, it's just... I've been thinking about the sirens and how exactly they've survived in this world for so long." Twilight furrowed her chin with her fingers. "And what's gonna happen when this is all said and done. Like, when we get rid of their magic again, are they just gonna fall under? Or are we gonna take them back to Equestria, or what?"

"I mean, the very reason that they were exiled from Equestria in the first place was because of their magic being used to rip everyone's bonds apart so they could siphon their negativity to get stronger." Sunset didn't like the idea of leaving people powerless and helpless like this, but the sirens had posed a significant threat to her and her friends before with the Battle of the Bands. "But... I mean, they're struggling with this magic now that it's swapped their personalities. If we decide to take that away from them, it's not like they can start their reign of terror all over again. They won't have the power to take from others anymore."

"Still, Adagio feels really out of place here. So do Aria and Sonata. They're three sirens from your world, who've still got no clue how the human world even works. And if they've really been living off of the privileges of their siren magic, they're going to be a total mess when it comes to living like humans..." Twilight came down the stairs and watched as Aria and Sonata went about their business. Sonata was just finishing up the tacos while Aria was deep in conversation with the other Rainbooms.

"I know, Twilight. But that doesn't mean that we can't do our best to make sure that they have some kind of purpose outside of magic." Sunset pushed her fingertips together. She was no stranger to making friends out of enemies. She had done it many times by this point and turned even the most devoted people to the side of friendships. Sure, the sirens were sociopathic and had used others for their own benefit, but that didn't mean that Sunset was going to give up. But exactly what she would do to turn the sirens to the side of good was still up in the air. She had to make sure that this worked first before thinking about the next step. "Even from the beginning, when this whole magical personality swap happened, I could tell that they weren't exactly the same as before. Guess we'll just have to see what happens when this is all said and done."

Twilight just smiled and gave a subtle nod. "Alright, Sunset. I'll follow your lead after this is all over."

"Thanks, Twilight." Sunset gave a grin back to Twilight as she wandered into the kitchen. She could see Sonata stuffing the tacos that Twilight and Fluttershy had ordered into the oven, setting the time by turning the knob. As soon as she saw her and Twilight, she turned to face them.

"Oh! Twilight! And Sunset too! How are you doing?" Sonata greeted kindly. She wasn't like the other two sirens. Where Adagio was more focused on the duty more than anything and Aria was more of the usual grouch, she was more of an innocent soul dragged through the same road as her. And now that she had inherited Adagio's focused nature, she was able to nullify any claims that she was a ditzy klutz with a passion for a certain cooked shell with meat and other assorted ingredients inside. "Adagio and Aria treating you well? If not, I'm sorry. Dagi's gotten pretty rough recently."

"We're fine, Sonata." Sunset nodded, clasping her hands together. "What are you making?"

"Oh! These are the tacos that Twilight and Fluttershy were asking for when we were showing them around. If you want, I could always get you and your friends some." She took a quick glance back at the already-cooking tacos. "Might take a while, though."

"Oh, no. That's fine. I'm not exactly hungry at the moment. Plus, knowing Pinkie Pie, she probably brought along a bunch of food in her hair." Sunset smirked to herself, then she waltzed up to Sonata. "So, tell me, Sonata. How do you feel?"

"How do I feel? Well, I'm happy to be cooking tacos for my guests, I'm also glad to be able to do so much for myself, I've got a little bit of an excitement rush to be playing with Aria later on, and I'm quite eager to see what you and the other girls like to talk about when we all come together," said Sonata. "That a good answer for you?"

"Y-yeah." Sunset had to blink to take it all in. Sonata was saying the truth. Sunset could tell from the way that Sonata was eager to talk and how much detail her answers had. But was that her own mind talking, or was it the effect of the gemstone that was around her neck, surging Adagio's personality into her head?

"I don't know about you, but personally, I'm happy to be like this." Sonata gently tapped the gem with the tips of her fingers. "Whatever Dagi's complaining about now, that's not my fault or Aria's fault. She's just not used to having a new mind. But me and Aria? Totally different story." She tipped her hand.

"Al...right?" That didn't give Sunset much confidence in Adagio's plan. "And, what about living like a human? Are you finding that easy? Hard? Confusing?"

"Well, I have to admit, it was a little bit of a shock to the system not having to rely on magic, but I think it's safe to say that we're getting by." Sonata nodded. "I mean, yeah, humans are weird beyond belief, but I think they're also pretty grounded as well. I mean, it's not like humans can pull of wacky magical stuff like you and the other Rainbooms can, but that doesn't exactly mean they're boring as well." As she was saying that, she was examining Sunset from head to toe. "I'm still trying to figure out why there are tiny humans and big humans. Or... whatever they're called. I don't know about you, but I've never seen foals, fillies, and colts look so weird. Especially when they're so inconsistent with how they walk. Some of 'em can only crawl while others walk on two legs Don't get it."

Geez, she's still so clueless... Sunset thought to herself. Though, to be honest, she had expected such an answer from the sirens. They were, after all, creatures from Equestria. Much like how she was when she had started out in this human world, everything else was entirely new to them. Nothing would have made sense to begin with, but that was alright. It was perfectly fine to feel taken aback by everything new in a new place. Someday, Sunset would have to sit down with Sonata and teach her and the other sirens about the human world.

Sonata was about to speak again when the dinging sound of the oven took her by surprise. "Oh! That's you and Fluttershy's tacos, Twilight. Hang on." She opened the oven and retrieved the tacos from the oven, laying them down on the side. Already the smell of meat, shells, and cooked vegetables danced in the air. "A vegetable taco for Fluttershy and a regular for you, Twilight."

Twilight could only watch as Sonata laid down the plates on the table, then planted the tacos on top of them. Each on separate plates, but close together so that Twilight and Sunset could still sit together. Then, once it was all set and done, she went off to fetch Fluttershy from the living room. Now that she was alone with Sunset, Twilight shared a glance into her eyes. Sonata was happy to stay like this forever. What would she say about Adagio's plan? How would she feel having no magic and being stuck with her old self again? And what about Aria? She seemed to be happy like this as well, how would she feel if that all went away and she was stuck again with being an easy-to-anger siren with a flair for feisty behaviour? All of a sudden, Adagio's plan didn't sound like a good idea at all...