• Published 6th Jun 2016
  • 27,280 Views, 2,260 Comments

Consequences - Hiver



Cause and effect. Opposite and equal reactions. If a butterfly... You know how it goes.

  • ...
47
 2,260
 27,280

Chapter 9

Ka-thunk. Ka-thunk.

The sound of the train filled the cabin as I turned a page, looking over Twilight's notes. I had no idea how she managed to do all this this quickly.

But she had caught a couple of minor errors. Mostly grammar and spelling errors some places where I could expand things to make things a bit clearer for the reader.

Skitter was laying on the bench opposite to the one I was in, looking out through the dark window into the night.

On the floor between the couches, beneath the table was a small cage, holding my new pet/houseplant. It was currently curled up, seemingly asleep.

When the train took a turn, you could just about make out the lights of Canterlot in the distance far above. Another hour and we would be there.

Giving up on the editing for now, I put it off for later and packed it up to instead pull the book Twilight borrowed me before out, flipping it open to the right page.

Wings.

Being able to fly would be... amazing. You could even pick what kind of wings it was! From dragonfly and butterfly to bat and pegasus.

If only it wasn't so insanely complex! It had to have enough power to be able to not only support a pony's weight during maneuvers, but also have a long duration, be durable and controllable.

...But being able to fly.

Sighing to myself I glanced at the window before starting to study, pulling out a notepad and a quill along with some ink to write down notes.

Let's break this bloody spell equation down.

There were times I envied Twilight and her abilities. She had worked for them, yes, but she took to magic like... Well the Element of Magic. No wonder she was its bearer.

I'm pretty sure the only area I was better than her was dream magic, and that was more imagination and willpower than actual magic. At least as long as you stuck to your own dream world anyway, anything else needed more power. But that stuff was easy, especially with Luna as a teacher.

If Twilight actually got instruction with that kind of magic, she would likely happily skip right past me.

But I would be damned if I let this spell beat me. I conquered the spell to shrink items, I will conquer this one as well. The shrinking spell was insanely useful, if really difficult. It took quite a bit of effort to do right and didn't work on things like food or living creatures. But it was so, so, so useful, especially when traveling.

I mastered that one, and I will master this one too!

“Sir?”

“Yes Skitter?” I asked as I looked over at her.

“Tea, sir?” she asked as she pulled a thermos from her bag.

“...Yes please.”

Skitter is the best.


XXXXXXXXXXX


Ah.

Canterlot.

It's not even a model.

Taking a deep breath, I enjoyed the cool night air as I entered onto the castle grounds. It felt good to be home.

...Home...

It really did feel like home.

Smiling to myself, I trotted for the main gate, Skitter moving along next to me, “ It's good to be back.”

“It is, sir.” Skitter agreed as she moved along next to me, her wings moving on her back in a slow buzz, almost inaudible.

I glanced at her. She was doing a good job at hiding it, but she was as happy as I was to be back here. Not surprising, since she could get fresher Love here and she would be able to connect to the Hive again.

Changelings didn't have a hivemind as such, it was more like... It's kinda hard to explain. More like a carrier wave.

Simply put, being around other changelings, and especially the Queen made changelings feel good. It may even be pheromones or something and not actual mental stuff.

I regarded Skitter for a moment as we headed towards the main gates. Was she taller than I remember? I could have sworn she used to be shorter than me, and now we're the same height.

I was however distracted from that thought when we entered the castle only to be met by a dark unicorn wearing the armor of a Nightguard with the rank of Sergeant.

“Sir, Welcome back to Canterlot.” He said with a professional smile, “The Princess would like you to know that she is currently holding court in the throneroom.”

“Thanks Swift.” I said with a smile as I trotted up to slap him on the shoulder with my hoof, “You know, you don't need to 'Sir' me all the time. We are friends.”

“When on duty I do, sir.” He answered with a smile of his own, “If I don't, my Captain would tie my tail to my ears.” before he looked at the floating cage, “What is that?”

“Tiberwolf puppy in a cage. Could you arrange to have it brought up to the tower?”

“Uhm...” He stared at it before he finally nodded, “Yes sir?”

“So what's been going on while we were gone?” I asked as I put it down before I continued on my way towards the throneroom, Swift turning to fall in on my other side, opposite to Skitter.

“Same old. Mostly some noise from the Noble peanut gallery. Somebody has been spreading rumors about trouble between you and Luna.”

I just rolled my eyes and trotted into the throneroom through the main doors, pushing them open with my magic without slowing down, neither of the guards on either side doing a single thing to stop me.

The two ponies standing before Luna stopped yelling at each other as she got up from the throne, lighting up in a smile as she quickly moved past them, ignoring their protests as she moved to meet me half way.

“My Page.” she said softly and nuzzled along my neck.

“Luna.” I answered quietly and nuzzled right back along hers, ignoring the ponies watching.

They can all get fucked. This was our moment.