• Published 6th Jun 2016
  • 27,332 Views, 2,260 Comments

Consequences - Hiver



Cause and effect. Opposite and equal reactions. If a butterfly... You know how it goes.

  • ...
47
 2,260
 27,332

Chapter 17

Somepony shaking my shoulder pulled me from my sleep. Or maybe that should be 'somechangeling'.

“Uegh? Skitter?” I asked as I tried to blink the sleep from my eyes. What in the world? She's never woken me up before. Hell, she hasn't even entered the outer room without being invited before. I don't think she had ever entered Luna's and my bedroom.

Doing my best to change gear from 'deep asleep' to 'awake' I peered up at her before quickly checking that Luna wasn't awake. If it was early to me, she would have just gone asleep.

The bed next to me was empty. Luna.

That woke me right up and I rolled onto my stomach, looking at Skitter, “Report.”

“I don't know, sir. The sky...”

Jumping off the bed, I trotted over to look out the window. The sun was high in the sky... the problem was that the Moon was as well. The sky was split down the middle, one side night, the other middle of the day.

I just stared at it for a long moment before I looked at the empty bed and then turned to skitter, “Follow.” I ordered her as I exited the bedroom, almost running into Captain Cold Skies, the leader of Luna's Night Guard.

“Lord Page. Princess Luna? Is she...” He asked quickly.

I shook my head, “She is missing. Princess Celestia?”

“She is missing as well.”

Both Princesses missing and the sky was fucked up in a way I would have said was impossible. It sounded like Discord but everything was too orderly for it to be him.

Whatever it was, it was bad.

“Lord Page, your orders?” Captain Sky asked, his wings shifting on his back as he regarded me.

“What?”

“When Princess Luna is not present, you speak for the Princess. Your orders, sir? What do we do?”

Luna was missing. Celestia was missing. Something apocalyptically bad was going on. And wearing some silver bling apparently put me in charge.

What do we do!? If the sky looked like that, it might mean that Lu-

I crushed that train of thought without mercy before it fully formed. I can't think that. If I do, I won't be able to function. No. When I went to bed, she was in the room outside working. I felt the bed shift when she got in. She went to bed so she was safe for that long.

During the night, something happened.

Closing my eyes, I forced myself to take a slow deep breath, collecting my thoughts before I looked at Cold Skies, “What is the Day Guard doing?”

He nodded at me, “The Day Guard is scouring the castle and city for any sign of the Princesses and is attempting to keep the population calm at the order of Princess Twilight.”

“Twilight is in Canterlot?”

Skies nodded again, “Yes, sir. She arrived to investigate an hour ago. She took charge of the situation.”

“Good.” I sighed. The Night Guard was much smaller than the Day version. Enough to provide personal security for Princess Luna. The Day Guard was a lot bigger, providing security for the rest of Equestria(with some cities as exceptions that had their own forces, like Cloudsdale) as well as Princess Celestia.

“Leave them to it.” I finally ordered, “We don't have the forces to conduct a search of the city and would just get in each others ways. Focus on the tower and get the best mages you can get your hooves on to investigate. Princess Luna was here earlier and now she is not. Unless somepony broke in, subdued an alicorn and then carried her out, all without anyone, including me and the guards by the doors, noticing... There is powerful magic at work. It might have left some sort of trace.”

“Yes, sir!”

“Where is Princess Twilight? I should speak to her,” I then asked. She must be the one that knows the most right now.

“She should be in the Throneroom still, sir. I'll assign a pair of guards to take you to her.”

I frowned at that, “Captain, I think all the guards should be...”

“With all due respect, Lord Page, when Princess Luna comes back and if something has happened to you while she was gone, it would be my hide that was at stake. You are getting a pair of guards in addition to your Changeling.” Captain Cold Skies interrupted me.

“I must agree sir.” Skitter said with a nod as she moved up next to me, “I would prefer if you stayed here, but if you must go out, more guards would be better.”

I just nodded and headed for the door, “Fine.”

No time to argue about it. I had to find out what was going on.

By the time I was out of the tower, Skitter and a pair of guards had quickly caught up, Skitter moving up next to me, looking around, keeping a eye out. She couldn't help but keep shooting a look at the sky though.

I didn't blame her. It was freaky as all hell, even if you didn't know the cause of it. Luna. Celestia. What was going on.

If something had hap-

I crushed the thought before it formed once more. Cannot go there. If I think it, I am going to panic. Have to keep calm. Luna taught me that. If you lose your head, you may actually lose your head in a crisis.

Even more so, if I thought it, I would just curl up and cry. She is fine.

Luna is just fine.