• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 3,043 Views, 89 Comments

Dominus Protector Meus - Zh3sh1re



The year is 1700. Sweden stands unchallenged in Scandinavia. Denmark, Poland and Russia have all lost territories to a united Sweden under Charles XII. Suddenly, the sky is filled with lightning and the Swedish Empire is whisked away forever....

  • ...
6
 89
 3,043

By royal decree, from both sides.

Outside Stockholm - Mustering Grounds
Sweden – Febuary 9th, 1700 A.D.
The king pulled his coat tighter to his uniformed body as his eyes scanned across the new recruits. Ten thousand men. That was his decree, and he was not disappointed. The rumors of their transportation was now common knowledge in Sweden, and most likely the knowledge of the down-right otherworldly creatures that roamed this world. Sweden would have to bolster up if she was to survive in this uncertain and possibly hostile world.

While no contact had been made with any other nations, strange ships had been spotted sailing around Sweden. Thankfully, the Swedish navy was hard at work patrolling the seas, making sure to let not a single boat inside. Most boats turned tail and ran as soon as they saw the magnificent Swedish vessels, but not all. There had been incidents, in which otherworldly ships had been destroyed, not to mention the pirates that roamed the seas. Thankfully, all of these had been staying away but Karl was sure that the sudden shock of a new landmass would wear off and raiders would look for settlements on these fertile beaches. The king had decided to preemptively prohibit this by recruiting soldiers en masse. The Swedish generals were having a drastically busier time now than they were having but one month back.

The king frowned and looked out towards the Baltic sea. Several towns near the Norwegian border had been having it rough. Some were even abandoned. The tremors of the Scandinavian mountains crashing down had destroyed much. Thankfully, things were starting to look up. The temperature changes in southern Sweden had improved a lot. His top philosophers and farmers were expecting to start farming a full month before the scheduled month. This information was being spread throughout the empire, and hopefully would make Sweden somewhat resistant towards food-shortages. These shortages had been common for Sweden his entire life, but now seemed to be a thing that was about to change.

Interestingly enough, the philosophers of the land had been absolutely delighted at the prospect of entirely new flora. Small islands had been located around Sweden and these had entirely new critters and flowers on them. One man in particular named Christopher Polhem, a man who Karl held in high regard for his automation of Swedish mine just a few years ago, had discovered something truly remarkable. While investigating some of the local flora, he had apparently been attacked by one. He described it as a shock of some sort. Incredibly, he managed to connect this... shock... to a concept written in Thomas Browne's Pseudodoxia Epidemica around fifty years ago called Electricity. Polhem had been hard at work trying to apply it to some form of practical application, creating various urns containing these flowers which gave larger and larger shocks. Last time the king had spoken to him, Polhem expressed his wishes and indeed, his hope that this electrical power could positively influence the mines and in time even power them. The king did not know what to think, but he had his faith in Polhem.

Canterlot Castle – Royal Dining Room
Equestria. Febuary 11th, 1232 A.C
"Missing pirates... Tales of strange large ships patrolling the Celestial sea... New landmasses..." Celestia shook her head. She did not know what to believe anymore. "And perhaps the strangest of all, dear sister... Sailors speak of a new landmass.... Nay, a new continent." Celestia looked towards her sister, who had her head turned to the side in thought.

Luna began to speak, without looking at Celestia. "Indeed... It is most peculiar." She continued. "All our mages have concluded that the source of the... event was somewhere out in the Celestial sea." She sighed and looked at her sister dearest. "I worry, sister. My spine is on edge, as if Tirek had once more been released. That time, we at least knew what we were dealing with. Now, I do not know how to handle the situation except keeping up the patrols." Celestia nodded.

"Indeed, while it may be welcoming to see pirate-ships being sent to the bottom some of those are still Equestrian citizens and such it is our duty to figure out what happened to them. I have been in contact with the Gryphon Kingdom and they say that they also have had a dip in pirate activity."

Celestia shook her head. "We need recruits. If there is one thing we can do, it is prepare for the worst. Since we know roughly where this landmass is, we can at least muster our defenses on the eastern coast." Luna looked thoughtfully at her sister. "What about the navy? With our navy spread out between east and west and no way to transfer ships from between them, we need to construct additional ships on the eastern coast. If this landmass isn't facing the same problem as us which most cartographers agree on that they don't, they can commit their entire navy to the eastern coasts while we can only commit half." Luna spoke with a confident tone. Celestia nodded along her as she thought of the prospect. "I have to agree," Celestia continued. "...but we have to manage our finances carefully. Recruitment and shipbuilding on the scale that we're about to undertake will hit hard on the Equestrian treasury. We will need to cut spending to other sectors."

While the sisters sat far into the night planning their bold and radical new army development program and reforms, the sons of Sweden prepare to venture out into the world...

Stockholm - Northern Blasieholmen
Sweden – Febuary 10th, 1700 A.D.

"Come on! Move it!" A lone Swedish offices screamed at the hardened recruits below him. These soldiers in question were a relatively new formed brigades. These were modeled after the British Royal Marines and were made to invade beaches from ships. While such a thing had been unnecessary for Sweden a few years ago, the situation was vastly different now. As they loaded, colonial garrisons and statesmen were trained in the art of colonization. It was easy for anyone who had their ears open what the Swedish king intended to do in this new world.

Speaking of the dear King, he was perched high atop a nearby wooden structure and took great pleasure in seeing the uniformed men march unto the boats and ships that dotted around the Royal Shipyard. The sound of men working on new Ships were heard in the distance and it bled into the marching of the troops.

It had been fortunate that the world had decided that this strange event were to happen at the moment it did. Troops being trained for the unavoidable war with Russia had been going on for over a year and these troops were now very much needed, though not for the purpose originally intended.

The king was feeling hopeful. Sweden had been much too late to join the colonial race back in Europe with Spain and England carving up the world to their desire... But this was one more thing that had radically changed due to their displacement. There was a world around them, seemingly primitive in comparison! New lands to conquer! New resources to exploit! It was truly a great time to be King. Charles was determined to go down in history as the king who conquered the world. He who created a Kingdom which the sun always shone upon.

With this thought in mind, he smirked to himself and walked away from the Royal Shipyard...