• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 15,169 Views, 576 Comments

The Equestria Club - MythrilMoth



Princess Twilight Sparkle brings Moondancer, Starlight Glimmer, and Princess Ember over to Sunset Shimmer's apartment for a weekend sleepover.

  • ...
42
 576
 15,169

Chapter 1: Talking, Movies

The rest of the girls were already at Pinkie's place when Rarity arrived.

"Well?" Rainbow asked eagerly. "What are Twilight's new friends like?"

"Hmm," Rarity said, worrying at her lip. "Well, they're...hmm."

"Hmm?" Fluttershy echoed.

Rarity tapped a slender finger against her lips. "I...how do I say this delicately?" She frowned. "They're...odd."

"Well, they're from Equestria, ain't they?" Applejack asked. "Ah reckon they're gonna stand out no matter what, like Twilight did when she first showed up."

"No, I mean they're very odd," Rarity said. "One of them was a more severe version of this Twilight, one of them was a..." She shuddered. "punk rocker, and the third just...I don't know. Something about her just set me on edge. She reminds me of those impossibly cheerful housewives you see in old movies and TV shows, only..." She tilted her head. "Oh dear, how do I say this...?"

"She had a smile so tight you're gonna have nightmares about her pouring boiling water on you in your sleep while she sings about going on a bloody homicidal rampage?" Pinkie suggested.

Everyone stared at her.

"Err...y-yes," Rarity said. "Something like that."

Twilight frowned. "Wait a second. What do you mean 'a more severe version of m—' Do you think I'M odd?!"

"N-not at all, darling!" Rarity said, holding her hands up defensively. "I just...I meant..."

"That this other girl was way, WAY nerdier than Sci-Twi?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Yes, that's EXACTLY it!" Rarity said brightly, pointing at Rainbow Dash. "I simply meant that this girl was...well...a horribly stereotypical hermit. Taped glasses, bad hair, ridiculously huge sweater, the whole thing." She shuddered.

"Oh," Twilight said, frowning and absently reaching up to her own bun. "But...I'm not like that, right?"

"Nah, you're good," Rainbow assured her. "You could still stand to loosen up a little more, but you'll get there."

"Maybe some contacts," Fluttershy suggested softly.

"Lose the bun," Applejack suggested.

Twilight frowned and folded her arms. "In other words, change my appearance to look like her."

"N-no, not at all!" Fluttershy gasped. "We want you to find your own look! It's just...you have a lot of natural beauty, and, um, and, um, help me out?"

"A bit of a makeover is all we're suggesting," Rarity said. "Just so you're not letting your good looks go to waste! That's all."

Twilight let out a noncommittal grunt, but relaxed her posture.

Rarity sighed and held out her phone, showing Twilight a picture of the fuschia-haired girl she'd only just met. "We just don't want to see you become this," she said.

Twilight stared at the picture. "Oh my god, that...that is pretty bad. Those eyebrows..." She shuddered.

The other girls crowded in for a look. "Yikes," Rainbow Dash pronounced.

"Yeah, now there's a girl that needs a makeover," Applejack said, scratching her head.

"I'm sure she's a lovely person," Fluttershy said with a hint of reproach. "You're all being a bit judgmental, don't you think?"

Rainbow took the phone and thrust it in Fluttershy's face. Fluttershy drew back. "Oooo-okay, maybe she could use a...a pluck..."

* * * * *

"So, tell me more about yourselves!" Sunset said. The five girls were all comfortably seated—more or less; Moondancer looked awkward and stiff—and had drinks in hand. "I've heard a little about Moondancer and Starlight, but I don't think I've heard anything about you yet, Ember. Other than you being the Dragon Lord."

"Yeah, sorry, I haven't had a lot of time to write lately," Twilight said sheepishly. "What with Rarity's new boutique opening and so much else going on, I've been pretty busy."

"I know what you mean," Sunset said. "Any time I can get an evening to myself to just unwind and relax, I take it. Don't get me wrong, I love getting involved and doing stuff with my friends! But sometimes, you just need—"

"A quiet evening at home with a long hot bath and a good book," Twilight finished with her. They paused, then burst into giggles.

"You know, if you two need to slip us a few bits and send us to the movies, we'll understand," Starlight said with a smirk.

Ember tilted her head. "Huh?"

Moondancer frowned. "I don't get it."

"I do," Sunset said, her face going red. "And we're not—it's not like—" She groaned in frustration and sipped her drink.

Twilight coughed. "So! Umm...Moondancer, why don't you...?"

Moondancer blinked, shrinking into herself slightly. "Oh. Well...I study a lot, and sometimes I do stuff with my friends, and...that's pretty much it." She ducked her head.

Ember leaned forward. "I'm the daughter of the former Dragon Lord," she said. "I won the Gauntlet of Fire..." She paused, grimaced, then amended, "Actually, Spike won the Gauntlet. And then abdicated power to me because he didn't really want to be the Dragon Lord."

"Actually, you won the Gauntlet together," Twilight reminded her with a smile. "Never forget Friendship Lesson #1."

Ember rolled her eyes. "Friends accomplish more working together than trying to go their own way," she said. "Yeah. I got that." She shook her head. "Anyway, ever since then, I've pretty much just been kickin' it in the Dragon Lands, makin' a few trips to Equestria to visit Spike and Twilight...I gotta admit, Equestria's not bad." She smiled slightly. "I'm glad none of the others won. They'd have burned Equestria to the ground by now."

"They'd have tried," Sunset corrected. "I doubt they'd have gotten very far if they managed to tick off the princesses. Especially now that there's four of them."

Ember chuckled. "Yeah, I've heard that a long time ago, Princess Celestia showed a couple of dragons why messing with her was a bad idea." She shrugged. "Honestly? I think it's pretty stupid to pick a fight with someone who controls the sun. I mean, hello! Am I right?" She shook her head. "Anyway, this little side-trip to weird wacky world is better than spending another weekend judging belching contests." She sighed. "Especially since I don't get to compete anymore."

Starlight wrinkled her nose. "You...compete in belching contests?"

"Of course, I'm a dragon," Ember scoffed. "But when you're the Dragon Lord, you always win because the other dragons don't want to make you mad, so...yeah."

"From what I've seen of dragons, I'd think that'd be a bonus," Twilight said.

Ember snorted. "No dragon wants to win a belching contest by default," she said. "It's insulting." She drained her drink in one swallow, then blinked. "Oh, hey, this is good!"

Twilight laughed. "We have it back in Equestria, too. You can pick up big bottles of it at Barnyard Bargains."

"I'll have to remember that," Ember said with an appreciative smack of her lips. She then let out a massive belch.

Sunset blinked. "Yeah...sounds like you could win a belching contest easily," she said.

"You could at least say excuse me," Starlight muttered under her breath.

"Why don't you tell Sunset and the others all about yourself?" Twilight suggested to Starlight.

"Yeah," Sunset said. "I'd love to hear more about the unicorn that almost destroyed Equestria and how you ended up as Twilight's friendship student instead of rotting in Tartarus."

Twilight frowned. "Sunset," she said, "you...really aren't in a position to judge."

Sunset flinched. "Okay...yeah, you're right. Sorry."

"It's...it's okay," Starlight said.

Ember blinked. "Wait. What am I missing here?"

Sunset sighed. "I, uhh..." She coughed. "A while back, I stole the Element of Magic and tried to use it to enslave every student at Canterlot High into my own personal army so I could invade Equestria and conquer Canterlot." She looked away. "All to settle a petty personal grudge against Princess Celestia." She looked around the room, eyes wide. "But...but I'm in a better place now! I've learned that friendship is the better way. The right way."

Starlight blinked. "Wow. Twilight never told me all that," she said. "All she ever talks about is how amazing a friend you are and how you were Celestia's personal student before her and how sometimes she feels like you're the only pony who really understands her because you were both Celestia's prize students."

"Starlight!" Twilight hissed, blushing furiously.

Sunset stared at Starlight, then at Twilight, eyes wide and irises reduced to pinpricks. "Umm...wow," she said quietly.

Ember raised an eyebrow. "Aaaand now I get that crack about going to the movies," she said.

"STARLIGHT HERE," Twilight said loudly through clenched teeth, "stole the Cutie Marks of an entire village of ponies and brainwashed them into thinking the only way they could be happy was if they were all exactly the same with no special talents. When we exposed her for a fraud, she decided to take revenge. Tell them all about that, Starlight!"

Starlight cringed. "O-okay," she said, swallowing. "S-so, I, umm...I found out about the Cutie Mark bond Twilight shares with her friends, and I altered an old time travel spell Starswirl the Bearded wrote, then used the Cutie Map in Twilight's castle to activate the spell. I, umm...I went back in time to the day Twilight and her friends all got their Cutie Marks at the same time, and I tried to change the event that caused that to happen."

Sunset blinked. "Whoa. That's...that's some really powerful magic. How did you—I mean—just—how?!"

Moondancer frowned. "How do you even steal a pony's Cutie Mark?"

"Starlight Glimmer is the highest-level unicorn ever born," Twilight said. "She's actually even more powerful than Starswirl the Bearded. Princess Celestia herself says so. The problem is...Starlight doesn't always exercise the best judgment in using her magic."

Starlight looked down. "Yeah, I'm...still working on that," she admitted. "Even though I'm not using my magic against ponies for my, umm...schemes...I still make a lot of mistakes."

Ember frowned. "So how does screwing with Twilight's past equal destroying Equestria?"

Twilight recounted the various alternate timelines she and Spike had visited, caused by Starlight's interference in the past. Starlight added in her own part of the tale, about her motivations for everything she did. When they were finished, everyone in the room was visibly shaken.

Moondancer looked at Starlight, then shifted away from her. "Don't take this the wrong way, but...you are getting therapy now, right?"

"Yeah, I mean...I was just a conceited jerk who went down a bad road," Sunset said. "You, uhh...you've got problems."

"I know," Starlight said miserably. "And I'm working on it, really. And yes, I'm getting therapy...sort of..."

"So Twilight, how is she not in one of your dungeons?" Ember asked. "I mean, I know you ponies are all about love and friendship and rainbows and stuff, but I also know you have dungeons. And Tartarus."

Twilight took a sip of her drink, then set it back on its coaster. "If a pony can be reasoned with, I like to think they can be made to see the value of friendship. Starlight made a lot of mistakes, but she's willing to make up for them and learn about friendship. To me, that makes her worthy of a second chance."

Sunset chuckled softly. "That sounds familiar," she said.

"And I'm not really comfortable with the idea of sentencing a pony to imprisonment except as an absolute last resort," Twilight continued. "We sent Tirek back to Tartarus because he will never understand friendship. He can never be allowed to roam free. Queen Chrysalis is determined to be an enemy to ponykind, so we treat her like one. Sombra...Sombra was just pure evil. But even Discord proved he was worthy of a second chance, so..." Twilight shrugged. "I couldn't just put Starlight in Tartarus or banish her to the moon without at least giving her a chance."

"And I've learned so much and been so much happier since I moved to Ponyville," Starlight said with a smile. "Twilight's made me realize...how foolish I was to just give up on friendship because my first friend moved away." She scratched her head sheepishly. "I really am kind of a crazy pony, huh?"

"You scare me, and I'm a dragon," Ember said, popping open one of the sodas still sitting on the table and chugging it without bothering to pour it over ice.

Sunset frowned. "That reminds me," she said slowly. "How is it Ember came through as a human, but Spike comes through as a dog?"

Twilight shrugged. "Dunno," she said. "I honestly think it's because this world's Spike is a dog. If he was, say, your Twilight's little brother, then my Spike would probably have come through as a human too." She tilted her head and tapped her chin thoughtfully. "I don't really think it's a species thing, because you know those three big, kinda dumb gray guys at CHS?"

"The ones Rarity has wrapped around her little finger?" Sunset asked.

"Yeah, them," Twilight said. "In Equestria, they're Diamond Dogs." She shrugged. "And then there are the Sirens. They're closer to dragons than they are to ponies, but they're human girls here."

"Good point," Sunset said, nodding. She chuckled. "I guess we'll never completely understand how the portal works."

"It might even be that we're not the same species of dragon," Ember said thoughtfully. "Spike's a tunnel drake. They're not very common west of the Griffon lands."

"Really?" Twilight asked, leaning forward with interest. "How come you never mentioned that before?"

Ember shrugged. "I thought you knew." She arched an eyebrow. "Didn't his not having wings clue you in?"

Twilight frowned. "I just thought it was because he's a baby dragon."

Ember shook her head. "No, it's because he's a tunnel drake. They don't fly."

"Oh." Twilight's frown deepened. "I don't think he'll like hearing that."

"And by the way, he's not a baby," Ember added with an amused smirk. "He's just short."

"Oh." Twilight blinked. "If you say so."

Ember snorted and shook her head. "I have a lot to teach you about dragons," she said.

Starlight clapped her hands loudly. "So hey!" she exclaimed brightly. "How about this world, huh? I wanna hear more about this place!"

"It is quite...fascinating," Moondancer said, adjusting her glasses. She glanced at her hand and frowned. "And strange." She looked at Sunset. "Is it true there's no magic here?"

"More or less," Sunset said. "I mean, the only magic here is what we've brought from Equestria. And the portal." She shrugged. "The magic from the Elements of Harmony that leaked into this world when I stole Twilight's crown sort of...intensified on its own. Once it found hosts here, it got stronger. It's not like unicorn magic, though. None of us really have any control over it. It just sort of...happens on its own." She chuckled. "And even then, all it really does is make us grow pony ears and ponytails. Oh, and Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy get wings."

"But you do know how to trigger it, right?" Starlight asked. "I mean, you've done experiments, right?"

"I've tried experiments," Sunset said. "The results..." She winced. "Inconclusive."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Interesting way to put being fried, splattered with rainbow goo, buried under a pile of magic apples..."

"Oh god they told you about that?" Sunset cried, facepalming. She sighed. "Anyway, we have a general idea of how to make the magic happen, but without something specific to do with it, it's just..." She shrugged. "Pointless magic hot flashes."

"But wouldn't that be where spells, pegasus magic, earth pony magic...?" Starlight asked. "I mean, that's the very definition of something specific to do with it."

Sunset shook her head. "When I said that, I actually meant something along the lines of 'combining the Magic of Friendship to rainbow laser an out-of-control magical supervillain'. Because that's really pretty much the only thing we can get it to do on purpose." With a wry chuckle and a roll of her eyes, she added, "Not exactly a practical everyday skill."

Ember snorted. "Yeah, that must happen like what, once ever?"

"Three times in the last two years actually," Sunset said sheepishly.

"Seriously?" Ember asked, tilting her head.

"Well, first there was me," Sunset said, ducking her head. "The Element of Magic turned me into an actual demon. Then there were the Sirens. And a while back there was this world's Twilight Sparkle. She pretty much had the same demonic transformation I did, except it was caused by being absorbed by a huge ball of uncontrolled Equestrian magic and then going a little...crazy." At the disbelieving looks of Ember, Moondancer, and Starlight, Sunset hastily added, "It wasn't her fault! She isn't...I mean...all she ever wanted to do was study the magic here at CHS, and she didn't even know it was magic. Then this device she made started sucking up magic left and right, then spitting out random anomalies that caused all kinds of trouble, and then her principal and her classmates pressured her into using that magic against CHS..." She shrugged. "Poor girl was a victim, not a villain."

Starlight shuddered. "I...don't think I want to even imagine a Nightmare Twilight," she said. She tilted her head. "Or would it be Nightmare Dusk?"

"Midnight Sparkle," Sunset said. "That's the name the students at CHS came up with for it. It's kinda stuck."

Ember grinned. "Well, Twilight, now you know what to call yourself if you ever go mad with power and try to take over Equestria."

Twilight groaned. Starlight and Sunset giggled.

Moondancer looked around the room with a frown on her face. Her eyes fell upon Sunset's bookcase. "Do you mind if I read some of your books?" she asked.

"Sure, go ahead," Sunset said. "Oh, horseapples! We've just been sitting here talking forever and now we're out of drinks and I haven't even put out snacks or asked what you girls want to do for the rest of the afternoon!"

"What's there to do here?" Ember asked curiously.

Twilight grinned. "Sunset? How about I get the refreshments while you introduce these girls to television."

Sunset smirked. "Sounds good to me," she said, picking up the remote and turning on the TV. Moondancer returned to the sofa with three books, sat back down, and looked on with interest, while Starlight and Ember jolted at the sudden influx of image and sound.

"Is...is that a movie screen?" Starlight asked. She looked around the room wildly. "Where's the projector?!"

Sunset laughed and began explaining the concept of television while she browsed the listings. As Twilight returned with more drinks and an assortment of snacks, Sunset settled on a movie and leaned back in her chair. The five girls watched—with volleys of questions about different concepts, terms, and the like—an action/adventure/comedy/romance film about a weathered old pilot and a neurotic younger woman who were stranded on a deserted island. Throughout the movie, the protagonists sniped at each other and got on each other's nerves as they struggled to survive the island's various dangers, up to and including an unexpected brush with pirates.

"How can they even make movies like this?" Starlight asked, eyes wide. "It's so...so realistic!"

"I wanna know more about those pirates," Ember said excitedly. "Is that a real thing? I mean, all the stuff they had?"

"Oh, everything in this movie exists in real life," Sunset said. "The planes, the boats, the guns, all of it. There's lots of movies that have stuff that doesn't really exist in this world, too. With a little imagination and a lot of money, they can pretty much make anything happen in a movie." As the credits began to roll, Sunset picked up the remote and opened the listings again. She raised an eyebrow. "Case in point," she said as she selected another show.

The room shook from the rumble of an earsplitting bestial roar. Moondancer jumped in terror. Starlight's eyes widened.

Ember grinned and leaned forward. "Now you're talkin' my language," she said.