• Published 3rd Jul 2016
  • 1,040 Views, 14 Comments

Miss Quiet - Nadir



Quiet Time rolled poorly in life. Not only is she mute, but as unlucky as can be. But sometimes, even the smallest of us can find love. This is her story.

  • ...
3
 14
 1,040

The Letter

Celestia sighed, looking down at yet another job application. This had been the thirtieth one. Not this day, or even this week. No, it was the thirtieth one this hour. But that couldn’t put her off. She took the time every day to look over these for a reason.

She sipped her tea as she levitated the scroll up in front of herself. At least she had competent secretaries, and an amazing scribe to get all of this set-up for her.

Name: Quiet Time

Race: Unicorn

Description: Quiet Time is a small unicorn, twenty-two years of age. Her coat is a light gray, with darker purple splotches around her mouth and tips of her ears. Her mane is a light green, with more vibrant green stripes through it. Her cutie mark is of a simple maid’s headdress (despite their lack of use in anything but absurd costumes).

Despite her relatively advanced age, the mare has no prior job history. Normally, a mare of her age would have at least a few years work, with the general populace starting employment at seventeen, except for those who go into higher education. Yet, Quiet Time didn’t even complete her secondary education, dropping out at the age of sixteen just two months shy of graduation. There are no notes as to why this is.

From a simple archive search, she hasn’t faced unemployment due to lack of trying. Miss Quiet has applied for no less than one hundred and fifty three jobs since her eighteenth year. Not a one has even taken her as far as an interview. At first, she applied for things that fit her skill set. Service jobs, and administrative tasks. But, as time went on, it appeared she became more and more desperate, even applying as a construction pony of all things.

The reason for her lack of success is quite clear once you speak to the mare. Or rather, once you don’t. Miss Quiet is mute, having no ability to speak.

Celestia lowered the scroll a half-inch. Mute? Her face contorted into a frown, a sight that was quite rare for the solar goddess, especially since her sister had returned a year ago. Her ponies would not hire one of their own because she was mute? That had to be some kind of mistake, there had to be another reason. Celestia raised the scroll, and read on.

Instead, Miss Quiet carries around a small blackboard around her neck. She keeps handy several pieces of chalk, writing onto it quite swiftly when she needs something to be communicated. She’s quite adept at this, though she had quite the trouble getting Prim and Proper to actually acknowledge her. NOTE: They were reprimanded quite harshly for that.

Initially, she was flat-out rejected by Primp and Proper. During her skill’s inspection, the mare broke no less than three teacups, as well as a vase that was priced at seven hundred bits. Whether she is clumsy or unlucky is up to debate, but generally she seems to be quite mindful of herself. How a pony so small could wreak such devastation is beyond me.

Celestia would need to remind Jarvis to keep his personal observations out of objective reports for now on.

Yet, despite the misfortune, Miss Quiet seems to have and incredible work ethic, and a loyalty nearly unmatched to those who treat her well. One of the other maids acted as such, and became a fast friend with Miss Quiet. From what I understand, the two of them have already become good friends in as small amount of a time as one week. Such friendliness speaks well for Miss Quiet’s temperament.

In addition, Miss Quiet was almost kind to a fault with everypony she interacted with. Even Cold Heart. Well, Cold Heart couldn’t dissuade her from a few happy words, albeit ones that were scrawled across a chalkboard. She even managed to get him to smile. It was only for the briefest of moments, and he snapped so hard afterwards that Miss Quiet nearly cried, but it was there.

Regardless of her demeanor, due to her clumsiness and disability, I’m afraid I will have to not recommend Miss Quiet for employment at this time.

Celestia’s frown became something much, much worse. It was approaching grimace territory at this point, which was quite terrible to behold. Or at least, she’d been told. Not recommended? Usually, she could trust her scribe’s recommendations, but Celestia got quite the nagging feeling that this one was wrong. For years, she had tried to make everypony feel welcome. For years, she had tried to make even the unfortunate ponies feel accepted in her kingdom.

To think, a mare as sweet and kind as this Quiet Time would be denied so thoroughly because of something she couldn’t control… Well, that wasn’t right. She stood from her chair, letting her teacup gently land back on the desk. Her frown melted away back to the serene expression she always worse.

Celestia had a meeting to arrange.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoy.