• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 2,955 Views, 113 Comments

Diamonds Aren't Forever - Magicolt808



After a terrible tragedy, Rarity must now cope with her life.

  • ...
5
 113
 2,955

Light During an Eclipse

Rarity slowly crawled over to Twilight, grabbing her body shaking her frantically. Twilight showed no signs of waking up, her limp body sporadically sprawled out on the dirt. Rarity took a deep breathe. She stood herself up, her legs quivering and her heart beating almost out of her cheat.

"You have to be strong darling," she whispered to herself. "You have to be strong for your friends." Rarity whipped her tears and straightened up. She steadily aimed her horn at Twilight. Her horn sparkled a bright blue substance, it swirled around Twilight. This spell took almost all of Rarity's remaining energy, but Twilight's life was most important in this hour of need. Rarity exhausted most of her life force into Twilight, her spell using a generous amount of her own power. Rarity's heart was pounding harder than ever. "Come on Twilight...I need you...Spike...needs you..." Rarity was wearing herself out at an incredibly fast pace.

Twilight stirred. As she slowly opened her eyes, she squinted as the rays of sunlight poured over her. "R-Rarity?" she asked, confused at what was happening. Rarity collapsed onto the ground, barely awake. Twilight quickly stood up and rushed to her side, "Are you alrigh-," Rarity cut her off. "Go...to...Spike," she whispered.

Twilight trotted over to her fallen assistant. “Oh Celestia...I need to stop the bleeding!” Twilight said, shocked at this horrific tragedy. Rarity’s blurred vision could only make out a purple figure hovering over a large object on the ground. Twilight was trying to seal up Spike’s wounds, but her magic could only do so much. The last thing Rarity witnessed was Twilight sending up a large red magic flare into the sky. Rarity lost consciousness. Twilight looked over at her, “Hold on girl...helps coming,” she said before returning to trying to mend Spike.

------▲------

June 26:

Dear Diary,

The trip to Zacora’s was an complete and utter fiasco. I awoke inside of a damp wagon, it was dark and I was distraught, but the worst part was I couldn’t find Spike. Twilight was sitting there with me, she told me that Spike had been rushed straight to the Canterlot hospital, his wounds were very...fatal-...bad. Twilight told me she needs to go to the Ponyville hospital. Oh dear... My poor friend might have a concussion. After they dropped me off at my house, I did nothing. I sat in my chair, remembering the cold eyes of Spike as he laid on the hard dirt floor. I needed him to pull through this...I wanted him to be here, comforting me in my time of need. I think I...I...really miss him.

-Rarity

------▲------

By the time Rarity had pulled herself together enough to leave her house, Spike had moved to the Ponyville hospital. What was left of mane 6 was beside their friends.

Twilight was laying in bed with a large bandage around her forehead. Rainbow Dash was sitting on the edge of Twilight’s bed talking to Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. “And have you seen her eyes...? They’re so like...I don’t know! Empty!” Dash said.

“Maybe we should talk to her about it...” Fluttershy said quietly.

Twilight sat up, wincing for a second at the pain in her scalp, “Girls, Rarity is going to be fine, we just need to give her some time.”

The usually lively and happy Pinkie Pie sat on a chair next to Twilight’s bed. “What a tragedy...” she whispered. It was clear that to her, happiness was far from close.

“Well I’m gonna go talk to her!” said Dash standing up.

Pinkie Pie grabbed Rainbow’s hoof, “You can’t! Only two ponies are allowed to visit the emergency ward at one time! Rarity’s been in there all day, and Applejack just went to talk to her!” Dash sat back down next to Twilight.

“I hope Spike pulls through...” whispered Fluttershy, as she began sobbing.

Twilight and Pinkie put their hooves on her shoulder. Rainbow Dash hugged Fluttershy.

“We all do.” she said as she started to cry.

------▲------

Inside of the emergency room, Applejack was holding a motionless and frightened Rarity, trying to soothe her as they both sat beside Spike. He was connected to a plethora of tubes and wires, her heart rate monitor beeping every second or two.

“How could those stupid dragons do such a thing...?” said Applejack, as she gazed upon Spike.

Rarity’s voice was monotone and flat, “I can hold no hate towards them...Those barbarians are already suffering. The likes of them are weak, unfortunate and idiotic animals living in a fanatical world where strength gives you power, and power gives you the means to be correct." she spat harshly.

Applejack silently worried about Rarity. Aj had never seen Rarity like this in all of their friendship. She had been in Spikes room ever since he arrived in Ponyville. By now she had stopped crying over the dragon, now she was simply standing by his side, watching over his body

Sometimes Spike would twitch or moan in pain. When this happened, Rarity had to fight the tears threatening to emerge. To know that her Spikey Wikey was in such pain seared her like fire.

“No matter what happens Rarity, ya gotta promise me you’ll pick yourself up. I can’t bear to see you like this...” said Applejack, tears trickling down her cheeks. “When you’re in pain...we are all in pain...”

Rarity quickly pulled away from AJ, “The only one going through pain is Spike!” she yelled, tears flowing out of her eyes and her chest heaving up and down. Applejack looked into Rarity’s eyes, they were no longer the color of a bright sapphire, but now like a dull lake, almost colorless in the moonlight. Rarity stared back at Applejack but could not hold her gaze. She began to cry as she fell back into Applejack’s arms crying loudly, “Is there anyway to give my friends salvation?” she cried out. Rarity stared out the window, scanning the dark sky. Rarity then looked back at Spike. "...How could you conclude that death should be painful without experiencing it yourself?" she whispered.

Applejack held her tighter as Rarity fainted.

------▲------

In a heated, jagged, volcanic crater, a group of teenage dragons jeer and cheer. A certain maroon, one armed dragon rallies them together. He tells them a story of vengeance and pride, of plundering and looting the defenseless, of killing and hunting the weak, of showing a certain town of ponies what true power is.