• Published 24th Jun 2012
  • 11,962 Views, 351 Comments

Family Matters - SFC Ponycron



Twilight's relationship is revealed when she ends up pregnant.

  • ...
21
 351
 11,962

Chapter 9: Between Siblings

Family Matters

Chapter 9: Between Siblings

The sun finally set, casting the Apple farm in various shades of red and gold to blue and purple as the last rays disappeared over the distant horizon. Crickets and lightning bugs chirped and buzzed in the distance. Fireflies started their nightly dance. Big Macintosh arrived in the family kitchen to discover the farm house settling down for the night. The plates, glasses, forks, knives, and spoons sat drying in their rack. Dinner had been a simple affair for the remaining Apples, most likely sandwiches or reheated supper. The red stallion walked into the main room of the house to discover Granny Smith snoring away in her rocking chair and Apple Bloom completing her homework.

"Have you seen AJ around?" Big Macintosh asked.

"She came home a while ago and made us peanut butter and banana sandwiches," Apple Bloom answered. "Then she said she had a favor she needed to do for Fluttershy, something about bucking up a log."

At least she is not taking her anger out on anyone, Big Macintosh thought. He figured she would finish the job to avoid the house, maybe even spend the night at Fluttershy's to avoid talking to him. He decided it would be best to wait a few more hours before he sought his sister. "You need help with your summer homework?"

"Ah'm doin' okay on mah own." Apple Bloom scratched the back of her head nervously.

Big Macintosh sighed. "How many of your daily word problems are done?"

"Enough."

"How many behind?"

"Just two weeks."

"Apple Bloom."

After five word problems, ten tries at memorizing multiplication tables, and a game of monopoly that never seemed to end, Big Macintosh tucked a protesting Apple Bloom into bed.

"But Ah'm not tired!"

Big Macintosh ignored her complaints and walked toward the exit. He heard a gentle snore and smiled as he turned off her light. “G’night lil’ sis.”

Big Macintosh stretched the crick in his neck after gently shutting Apple Bloom's door. He descended the stairs and his grandmother woke with a snort.

"What had your sister so huffy t’night? She came home early from that dinner she was supposed to have with you and your friends. I never in all my days heard anyone make sandwiches so loudly," Granny Smith commented.

Big Macintosh huffed before replying. "There's a girl, and Applejack found out in the worst way possible."

Granny Smith giggled a bit before responding. "So some mare finally made it cross the great wall of Applejack? I'm supposin' it ain't Fluttershy, too much pressure on your sister's part for any sparks to fly there. Is it Carrot Top?"

"It's Twilight Sparkle," Big Macintosh stated.

"Who?" Granny Smith tried to match the name to a face.

"The unicorn from Canterlot,," Big Macintosh said.

"Who?" Granny inquired further.

"She helped the farm twice," Big Macintosh explained.

"Twilight Sparkle," Granny Smith pondered. "Good mare, would have a better head on her shoulders if she weren't so high strung."

"Yes Granny," Big Macintosh said. "She's the one who made it past the great wall of Applejack."

"Really?" Granny asked.

"Really," Big Macintosh said.

"Does she makes you happy?" Granny asked.

"Yes," Big Macintosh smiled briefly at the thought of the purple unicorn tending to Spike in the library. He imagined a purple foal tucked at her side in place of the dragon. "Do you know where Applejack went to after she made dinner for you and Apple Bloom?"

"She mentioned something about finishing a chore for Fluttershy you were supposed to do," Granny said.

"Thanks Granny." Big Macintosh gave his grandmother a quick kiss on the forehead. She fell back to sleep as Big Macintosh left.

***

Through a sixth sense, Applejack was able to find the weak spots in the wood of the oak that would fuel Fluttershy's hearth. She did not need an axe, just a knowledge of where to strike so that the trunk could be broken up into smaller and smaller pieces. It was rhythmic and calming for Applejack, but her temper simmered under the surface of an apparently calm exterior.

She could almost forget Twilight Sparkle's betrayal and her brother's foolishness.

Fluttershy did not say anything when her friend arrived in her yard to buck the tree. Instead, she set up lamps to light the darkness of the night. She brought her friend a triple tiered, griddle fried egg, cheese, and lettuce sandwich when Applejack was halfway done with her chore.

Applejack accepted the food gratefully. She was starved after an evening of preparing a three course and not eating anything herself. "Thanks Fluttershy, Ah could really use the boost."

"You didn't have to do this now, Applejack. I'm sure you have had a long day's work," Fluttershy said.

"Ah know, its just ah don't wanna be home or in town right now," Applejack removed her stetson to fan herself.

"What's wrong?" Fluttershy inquired.

Applejack sighed as she put the hat back on her head. "Mah brother, that’s what’s wrong. Twilight Sparkle's been playing my family like fools. My brother says they're dating'."

"What is so wrong with that?" Fluttershy asked innocently.

"Well, you and him…" Applejack tried to find the right words. She actually could not claim that Fluttershy and Big Macintosh had ever been involved with one another. Just dates and excursions set up by Applejack herself. Despite her best efforts, nothing had sparked between the pair.

"Are very good friends and neighbors," Fluttershy finished.

"It still ain't right. They've been keepin’ it secret from me," Applejack protested.

"Maybe they just wanted to make sure it was more than a passing interest. I'm sure the last thing either Twilight and Big Macintosh wanted was to start dating then lose interest in one another. If it happened in secret, at least it would only be awkward between them and not affect anything else," Fluttershy suggested a reason for her friend’s anger.

Before Applejack could protest, a voice spoke up. "Applejack," Big Macintosh appeared from the shadows of the woods that surrounded Fluttershy's yard.

"Macintosh," Applejack finished her sandwich and walked back to the trunk.

"I'll leave you two alone," Applejack twitched as Fluttershy returned to her house, without giving Applejack a chance to protest.

Applejack started bucking wood as her brother waited patiently beside her. She was sweating buckets, either from nerves or exhaustion, and still had another half of the tree to go. "Ah could use some help," Applejack said.

"Ah don't want to do chores, AJ. We need to talk," Big Macintosh said.

"Ah have nothin’ to say to you," Applejack said.

"Then you can listen." Big Macintosh forced himself between Applejack and the tree trunk. She backed away, too exhausted to fight back. "Now it's okay to be angry. Ah can see your point. Ah’m sorry I was lying to you, but you have to get over this. There is nothing wrong with me and Twilight Sparkle. In fact, everything is more right for me because of it."

"But she-" Applejack tried to protest.

Big Macintosh cut her off. "Is the pony Ah love and A’hm goin’ to marry."

Applejack shook her her in confusion. "What?"

"It's been going on for a year Applejack. Ah know it might seem sudden to you, but it’s the right time for Twilight and me. This is serious, she's the one," Big Macintosh said.

“No.”

“Beg pardon?”

“Ah said ‘NO!’” Applejack’s anger boiled through her calm facade. “Ain’t nothin’ good ever come from a lie, and that’s all you’ve been doin’!”

“Ah said Ah’m sorr...”

She cut him off with a hoof thrust painfully in his chest. “Sorry for what? For gallivantin’ around with some hussy battin’ her eyes like a toad in a hailstorm or for not trustin’ your own sister? What would Pa think...”

“Pa,” he interjected, “would be happy for me. Something you don’t seem capable of!”

“How DARE you! I’d be happy for you if you weren’t being a complete idjit! Instead I gotta protect you from your own stupid!”

“It ain’t stupidity. It’s what’s gonna happen. You can either straighten up and be happy for us, or you can keep your thoughts to yourself.” He adopted the sternest look in his arsenal. “Ah ain’t gonna stand for ua throwin’ tantrums and hissyfits, and Ah won’t let you treat Twilight like that again.”

“Whaddaya gonna do about it?” She jammed her face into his.

Applejack staggered forward when he turned away. He heaved a tired sigh. “Walk away. If’n ya cain’t treat Twilight like family, then you’re no family to me.”

Her mouth moved, but no sound came out. He did not see the look on her face as he walked away.