• Published 2nd Jun 2016
  • 5,707 Views, 99 Comments

Sunset Shimmer - A Pony in Hogwarts - ratedoni



Celestia and Sunset decided that maybe it was time for a break before they start fighting, so with that inmind Sunset accepts the invitation of a magical school at the other side of the mirror. Pray for the sanity of those in the school.

  • ...
17
 99
 5,707

The Most Important Tool to a Wizard

It wasn’t that weird of a thing in the opinion of Sunset Shimmer. Sure, the usage of magical artifacts wasn’t exactly banned back in Equestria, but things like wands and staffs were a thing of the past. Now, with the development of new teaching methods to make little foals understand their particular brand of magic and hone them for the future; it was a very profitable and also challenging profession, not that Sunset could complain since she had the best in terms of education, just look who was her teacher. Still, the idea of using a wand to make a spell was utterly medieval at this point, which confounded Sunset once she saw what she had to get for her first day at Hogwarts.

As the rest of her school companions continued to talk animatedly about how excited they were about the classes and new things they will be able to do, Sunset looked at the piece of wood on her hands still wondering how humans started to use this variation of the wand. It would truly be an interesting research for her and she already was dying to see the school library for more information.

Still, the little piece of wood that worked as her direct connection with the magical leylines present in the planet was bizarre, but at the same time a piece of art on itself; it was clear that wands were very important and for what she understood, they were almost a reflection of the owner, thanks to the magical properties of the materials that were used to make the wand.

The man that owned the place where they got the wand seemed very surprised about Harry’s wand, especially the part when he explained the core of the wand. Apparently phoenixes were rarer in this side of the mirror and that they still were the skittish sort of bird. Sunset wondered if that other wand was used by the dark wizard that gave Harry his scar. That was also another thing to research soon.

Olivander had taken a long look at both kids and paraded them with an almost infinite amount of wands, so many in fact, that Sunset was ready to throw the towel and take the first she could reach. Apparently, one didn’t choose a wand; it was the other way around apparently. Thankfully, Olivander had taken a long look at Sunset and finally went to the back of his store, coming back with a strange box that had been engraved all around. Once he arrived, he took off the lid; he then took a deep red wand from the inside and presented it to Sunset. The magic wand looked as if it had been twisted from one point to the other, while the handle curved like a rapier around Sunset’s hand. It was comfortable and in a sense warm.

Moving the wand around, the tip of it began to shine and let out small sparks; it felt like the first time she had been able to send magic through her horn. Sure, it was a very foolish display of power, but after exploding windows and sending cabinets flying, this was a good sign. Apparently Olivander also thought so because he was suddenly very interested in what Sunset was doing.

“Perplexing I must say; I’ve had this wand for many years and never before someone seemed to be compatible with this particular wand,” he said, obviously being a fan of theatricals by the way he moved and talked. Behind Sunset, Celestia seemed to be really interested on what was going on, since she put a hand on Sunset’s shoulder, signaling that it would be good to pay attention to his explanation “you see Miss Miroiter, that particular type of wood is not native to the islands, it was brought from America. Yes, Red Oak with a core made of a Chinese Fireball heartstring; it was made specifically for dueling. It is adaptable, fast, and powerful and a clear sign of the personality of the wizard. Miss Miroiter, this wand chose you specifically so now, we will see where this wand will take you,” to say that Sunset was dumfounded was not an exaggeration. All her life she knew about her terrible temper; it had brought her many problems, among them the way her relationship with Princess Celestia had deteriorated. She was stubborn, quick to anger and never one to back down, which apparently also was shown by the power of her wand.

It was a piece of art as a sculpture or a painting and way more useful, so unlike the one that Harry had, this one was not tied to a quest against the darkness according to adults in general, but it was more like a physical representation of what she was and what she could be. She still didn’t understand the real reason why she was send to Hogwarts, but maybe her wand and the way Olivander was so interested in her was a clue. Of course, she knew that Celestia probably had layers upon layers of plans and that she had barely scratched the surface; still, it was a good idea to start somewhere.

Taking her eyes away from the wand, Sunset turned to look at the other students, seeing how they behaved. Sure, she was more interested in her own development as a witch and wanted to gain power, not because she wanted to become an alicorn -at least not for the moment-, but because there was a veritable fountain of new knowledge waiting for her and she could only imagine what she will find.

That she could stomp on several toes and create Trollestia levels of chaos and manipulation, well, that was basically a bonus for her.

“So, what do we have this day?”

“Basically, every class, including transfiguration, charms, potions and also broom flying,” of course, Sunset asked the only student that would have an idea of what they will see and was also prepared beforehand. Hermione was quite the piece of work; at first sight she looked arrogant and ready to demonstrate how smart she was, but after years of dealing with petty nobles and rude upstarts, Sunset could read behind the lines and what she saw made the redhead feel something weird; empathy.

Hermione was not arrogant; sure, she was proud of her intellect, but what Sunset could read behind her mask, was that Hermione was scared and nervous. Here she was, a girl that didn’t belong in the magical world, with her only weapons her desire of knowledge, a passion for study and more stubbornness that should be allowed. It was like looking at a carnival mirror. It was similar and yet so bizarre that made Sunset laugh once she understood the bushy haired girl.

Hermione was as alien in Hogwarts as Sunset herself was, which in a way created a bond between both girls and for once in her life, Sunset wasn’t so adamant against it. Sure, she will enjoy having her own private time, just so she could plan and strategize her next movements against the clear royalty of Hogwarts, but for now, she could help a young little lost witch find her place in the enormity of the castle.

“Not keen to the idea of flying?”

“I haven’t even been on a plane, much less a flimsy piece of wood that could make me fall to my doom.”

“Come on, where’s your sense of adventure? Besides, there’s going to be a teacher, what’s the worst that could happen?” that was also one big problem for Sunset, she always loved to tempt fate.

Author's Note:

Is fascinating the amount of different materials available for a wand; it was as fun to read about the topic as it was to write it.

Comments ( 20 )

I love what you did for Sunset’s wand. I bet when her friends find out about her true heritage they will get quite the laugh about just how appropriate it is for her. So how will Sunset end up on the team with Harry I wonder?

The world clearly needs all the Pony/Harry Potter crossovers! Such a lovely concept. Either Pony in Hogwarts or EG in Hogwarts. I just don't care. I love me some Harry Potter/Pony crossovers!

“Come on, where’s your sense of adventure? Besides, there’s going to be a teacher, what’s the worst that could happen?” that was also one big problem for Sunset, she always loved to tempt fate.

:facehoof: Well, at least Sunset knows she's taunting Murphy ....

8453597
Worse, she's doing it on purpose. :facehoof:

8454083
So, do we blame Sunset's Murphy Taunting for everything that goes wrong at Hogwarts? Or just for the really improbable stuff?

Unicorns use horns as a focus to use magic, so just take the wand will you. Pegasi use wings as their main magic distribution. Earth ponies use hooves to channel their magic if they even have it, which I assume they do.

8454158
Think it may depend on the timing of the taunting in relation to the events in question.

Can we have a couple of chapters for Christmas?

I find it very hard to believe that they would have Every class the school offers on their first day, first for simple scheduling reasons and second because it's Canon that they didn't have Potions until their first Friday, plus that Flying Lessons didn't start until about a month into the year, and were announced on the notice board in the common room to give students time to prepare. I imagine a Hogwarts class schedule to be more similar to a College or University schedule than a High School Class itinerary due to limited time on the Professors parts and time-slot conflicts with the elective courses for years 3 and upward, with Professors fitting in class times in their schedules wherever they can manage.

Now, If the school hired more Professors so that multiple professors could cover the same subject in different years, this situation could be rectified, but as it stands, each subject is covered by a single instructor who has to fit in eight to ten classes of students minimum each week (twelve if they teach a core class such as Transfiguration, Charms or DADA)(taking into account splitting year groups into 2 houses per class for everyone under NEWT levels where they combine classes into one if they're small enough) for about an hour each at minimum twice a week and sometimes Four times a week, There are seven core subjects, and seven electives available, which means professors have between 28 and 56 hours of classes (depending on if they teach a core class or an elective) that they have to schedule around every other professor's 28-56 hours of other classes for the students to take across all classes and all years to fit into a 40 to 50 (if they have 10 hour class days instead of 8) hour class-week for fourteen different courses.

On top of that, while a Professor may teach a potential maximum of 56 hours of classes a week, that's not including prep-time for their lessons, or the time it takes them to grade all of the homework they assign, so a professor's work week is probably closer to 70-80 hours long when all is said and done. Professors time is a premium, so to make room in the schedules across all years for conflicting electives they double up some courses on certain days, having two, two hour classes a week for a particular class to free up schedule time so that students are available to attend elective courses when the instructors for those are available. This means that Students can sometimes have a lot of random down-time and free periods in their schedules to finish up homework or peruse interests outside of academics, especially in years one and two, but their Professors are still working double overtime to fit everything in.

This isn’t dead right? Sunset hasn’t gotten Draco expelled yet.

at this point I beg you sir, keep doing this! I know food wars can be just as engrossing but what you have written as the set up so far is perfect and I can't wait to see how this proceeds in the future.

8839985
You my friend just made my day but if sunset started flerting with Draco he could take that as an insult

This story seriously needs an editor

Is this story dead or just resting because it is a really good story so far.

I would probably really enjoy this kind of story... if it either updated more or was longer in length. As it stands, I feel like getting invested in a story with a bad track record for updates and not much content to begin with... would be a poor decision.

I feel like this story could use more development. As the way things are the story feels abandoned.

Nooooo why is it the good one that somehow ends up going to either hiatus or cancelled or just no news whatsoever 😭😞

This needs to be revived. :twilightsmile:

Checking in with a reread. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment