• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 3,803 Views, 64 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Dust - Mr Foster



A Fallout: Equestria story, based 400 years after the mega-spells, about getting the Mane 6 home

  • ...
22
 64
 3,803

Chapter 12

Here I am, hanging by my hoofs. Except this time, I was hanging over a pit of dead bodies, and with a exacto blade hanging in front of me, ready to extract my life essence. Was I scared? Yes. Why? Because I let everypony down. Because I was supposed to get those mares home, to stop this damned war. To change everything.

Now, I was about to be killed. It was sad really. I was in Cloudsdale, from what it looked like, and I was about to be made into a rainbow. Looking back on it, I really should have read the book “Rainbow Factory”.

“Wakey Wakey, Dust. Time to get executed.” Said the familiar voice.

I looked up to see Napalm, his head put back together. He was sitting in a control booth, with two other Pegasi. He had his hand on a control module, which would probably be used to end my life. Looking back on it, I never really did anything good. Fell in love, killed a couple hundred ponies, saved a few. I wasn’t a hero. I was just some soldier.

“So, this is how you plan to kill me, eh? Hang me like a criminal and gut me like a pig? You are so heroic.” I said
distastefully.

“Oh, believe me, I would have killed you right there, Dust, but we are in desperate need to fuel our Vertibirds, so… We are going to use you.” Said Napalm, making the exacto blade twist in front of me.

I looked around the room, making sure there was nothing I couldn’t do to aid my escape. Everything was strapped down, and stasised, so I was pretty much stuck like this. I looked straight at Napalm, and angrily gave him a terrible look. He just shrugged, and nodded at the Pegasi. One of them pushed the knife forward, so close I could hear the buzzing of its extractor. The blade stopped right in front of me, and started to glow and twist quickly. It was about to penetrate my chest, when I felt something weird. Not like, something drilling into my chest weird. The airflow in the room stopped, the gravitational pull stopped. I felt like I was floating.

Then, Luna’s Moon cannon hit the factory.

Remember how Longshot said that Luna could fire lasers that would unshift Equestria’s balance? Yeah, he wasn’t joking about that.

I was melted from my chains, and I wasted no time getting onto my hooves. The whole factory was burning down, the blue black fire melting everything in its path. I found a opening, and jumped outside, pulling my helmet over my head.
Sadly, it wasn’t a very good idea. There was a 60 foot drop in the opening, and I immediately slammed into the ground, spraining my front left hoof.

“Fuck!” I shouted, rolling.

I stood up, trying to find a way out of the melting factory. Ponies were running around, flaming and half torn apart. I grimaced at the sight, and limped through the melting metal.

“It was a mess. The whole factory was overloading. Ponies were getting plasma on them, melting away through their body. I was surprised I was still even alive after that fall. I guess being an android pays off sometimes. I got out of the factory, and I was greeted by a whole fleet of ships, opening fire on what was New Cloudsdale.

There were probably hundreds of little skirmishes going on across the now metal cloud that had been formed by the Pegasi. Whether it was Alicorns vs. Legion, or NCR vs. The Enclave, a war was being waged on this small area.

Suddenly, I started to be liftedup, along with everypony else on the could. A huge blue beam exploded into the middle, releasing an explosive shockwave, destroying literally everything within 500 yards. I looked up to see Luna flying through the air, ordering the troops around. She saw me, and landed.

“Is this all for me?” I asked, and Luna simply sighed.

“No. We presumed you dead. We came here because the enclave completely demolished the portal. They have one up here, though,” Said Luna, pointing towards a large tower under attack by NCR. “We brought everypony we could get. Alicorns, Legion, us. They’re all fighting one another.”

“What about Darin’?” I asked, and Luna solemnly sighed.

“He’s up there. You need to rendezvous with him and the Keepers of Harmony, and get them home,” Said Luna, lifting off again.

“Oh, I almost forgot. Here,” She said, dropping a rifle into my lap.

It wasn’t a rifle at all. It was a rusty, old lever action shotgun. The same one I had used the day my family was killed. I nodded to Luna, and ran towards the tower.

I got there without incident, the occasionally Legion idiot needing a slug to the brain, but nothing more. Darin’ was at the base, bleeding profusely from his left eye. The six mares were circled around, and Fluttershy was mending Darin’s eye.
“Well call me a whore in a church, if it isn’t Dust! I thought you were dead!” Shouted Darin’ standing up.

“Oh, um, I- I’m not… Never mind,” Said Fluttershy, as Darin’ hugged me.

“Go home, Darin’. This is my fight. You have a family now, I don’t,” I said, and Darin’ shook his head.

“You think I’m going to list-.”

“That’s an order. I can handle this.”

Darin’ just looked at me funny, and then shook his head.

“You’re an idiot, you know that?” He asked, and I nodded.

“Every day, brother. Every day.” I said, and Darin’ nodded.

“I owe you a beer after this,” He said, and he kicked a box next to his hoof.

“I’ll man the machine gun. You head up, and deal with whatever shit’s waitin’ for you up there,” Said Darin’, giving me a hoof bump.

I nodded to the mares, swiveling my shotgun. We walked into the tall, metal obelisk, and I pushed the button to go up.

“I’m scared, Twah,” Said Applejack.

“So am I, Applejack. We can get through this,”

“We’re all scared, girls. The Enclave, the NCR, the Legion, even the Alicorns. We realize each battle may be our last. Don’t think for one second we’re brave,” I said, aiming my shotgun at the door.

The doors opened, and there were two Enclave soldiers. I shot one in the head, tearing it clean off and splattering blood over the wall. The other lunged at me, and I kicked him back, cranking my shotgun. I shot him through the chest, and he fell to the ground. I motioned for the girls to get in. They piled inside the elevator, and I put the shotgun on my back, picking up one of the high end assault rifles the soldiers had. I opened the action, when the elevator stopped.

“Second floor?” I asked, and the mares shrugged.

“I guess we’ll have to fight our way up,” I said, as the doors opened.

I put a shield up, and I walked out, bullets pinging off the barrier. I lowered the barrier, showing multiple enclave soldiers. I opened fire, as the soldiers reloaded. I killed 4 out of 5 of them, when I ran out of ammo. He aimed his rifle at me, when his head was cut clean off.

I turned to see Twilight, her horn glowing purple. She was sweating, as she slid onto the floor.

“I killed him…” She said, and I sighed.

“Really? You’re worked up about that? Look, we need to go. We don’t have a whole lot of time before they destroy this one too. Come on,” I said, running ahead.

They followed at a brisk pace, and we went up the stairs, clearing floor by floor. It wasn’t until we got to the second to the top that things started to get serious.

I was taking cover behind a small barricade, bullets pinging off the walls and glass. The mares were on the verge of tears, and I couldn’t let them break down in a time like this.

“Hey, keep your cool. We’ll get through this!” I shouted, and most of the mares kept cool.

Except one.

Rarity burst into tears, and ran right into the open. I jumped out in front of her, bullets pinging off my armor and coat. I tackled her, bullets hitting everywere around us.

“Keep down!” I shouted to the mares, and Rarity kept crying.

“Stop crying, you dolt!” I shouted, as I grabbed my rifle.

I stood up, bullets flinging through the barell into my enemies. Sadly, I took the same beating. Bullets tore through the weaker padding of my armor, and hit me in my vitals. I fell back, blood spilling out of my mouth.

Wow, third time this year.

I lifted myself up, maintaining my calm, as I reloaded quickly. Bullets tore through my sleeves and into my hooves, and I kept on firing, my vision going blurry. Twilight started launching magic shots at the enemies, but the damage was done.

“C’mon…have…to…home…” I said, trying to stand up.

“Here darlin’, let me help ya,” Said Applejack, lifting me up so I could lean on her.

We slowly but surely reached the stairs, and we walked up, afraid of what was behind the next door.

“Be…be strong. You will… go home,” I said, taking through the massive amount of blood pouring out of my mouth.

“You’re not going to make it if you keep up this pace, Dust,” Said Twilight, and I scoffed.

“You don’t think I don’t know that? This is obviously my last mission, and I realize this. Now, open the door,” I said, and Rainbow Dash nodded.

The doors swung open, and a bunch of Enclave guards aimed their weapons at me. Their lasers were all focused on me, and out of the shadows, I saw Napalm walk out.

“Well, well, well. I didn’t think you had the heart. It’s over, Dust. Your war cannot continue. These mares will never get home, and we’ll rule the wasteland eternally,” Said Napalm, and I took off my helmet, throwing it so that everypony could see my face.

“Well, I’ve gotten this far. So why haven’t you killed me yet? I’ve killed hundreds of your soldiers, fought with legions, and transported these mares across the wasteland. And here I am. So what’s stopping you?” I asked, and Napalm scoffed.

“Good question… I think we’ll do that now,” Said Napalm, and the soldiers clicked their safeties off.

My horn glowed bright blue, and I made direct line to the portal behind Napalm and his soldiers.

“Go!” I shouted, and the mares ran into the portal, being transported to their own time.

The barrier closed, and the soldiers just looked at me.

“Congratulations. Now, die.” Said Napalm, and the soldiers opened fire.

It was instantaneous. I was dead. No longer living. My life, like a light bulb, turned off. I fell to the floor, blood flowing from my wounds, as a weird humming sound filled the air.

“What the…” Started Napalm, as minigun rounds tore through the tower top.

Limbs were sent everywhere, as Darin’ made a flyby, tearing everything the tower apart. It made no difference. I was dead, and Darin’ had just eliminated one more enemy. Sure, Napalm had been killed, and was finally put to rest in a pile of mulch and blood, but I was gone.

Darin’ landed inside, tears in his eye. He ran over to me, looking me over.

“Dust… Come on Dust, wake up…”

“Wake up…”

“Come on, honey, wake up.”

I opened my eyes, and I was in a small room, surrounded by toys. I looked up to see a pretty mare staring at me, smiling.
“Todays your school play, Dusty! Rarity fancied up your costumes this year again!”

It was amazing that I even could retain a sliver of what had happened in my previous life. I guess it just stuck. I never knew how life ended over there, how things went on. All I knew was that things had changed for the better. Maybe just for me, or maybe even for all of us. I just hope to anypony who finds this, they had a better time than I had.



Blue Water stopped the recording, looking up at Darin’. Her eyes were full of sadness as she stared at the old Pegasus. New Canterlot, now a full blown, new city since the great change had happened, towered in the background, near a lush green forest with vast emerald plains in the front. Blue Water was sitting on her family villa’s porch, listening to the one sliver of her father she had.

“So… He died that day?” Asked Blue Water, and Darin’ nodded.

“I guess his helmet uplink was still up and runnin’ after things changed. His came immediately, but ours took at most a year to change. Now things are back to normal, I guess. Just the heroes of the wasteland are remembered, instead of goddesses now,” Said Daring, his left eye hidden behind an eyepatch.

“Th-Thank you, uncle Darin’. This means a whole lot to me…” Said Blue Water, and Darin’ smiled.

“Don’t mention it. What are you going to do now, kid?” He asked, and Blue Water sighed.
“I’m going to find him,”

Author's Note:

Hey guys, really sorry for the wait, and such a terrible chapter. The finale was almost ready for publishing, but was lost when my beloved friend and editor, passed away. It was a fun book, and there will be a sequel, but not soon. Keep posted on this book, and I'll release a chapter when it's up. Again, really sorry about the wait and low quality, but I felt like I needed to finish it now, or it would never be finished. Thanks for the ride, guys, and I hope to see you soon.

-Storm