• Published 31st May 2016
  • 7,704 Views, 163 Comments

The Bat and the Teacher - Ximer



A human struggling to adapt to Equestrian society accidently gets involved in a love triangle with two mares that are as different as day and night.

  • ...
24
 163
 7,704

Restless Night

The moon was full tonight, blanketing Equestria in a soft glow. As brilliant as the night sky was, it was clear that Luna was in a good mood. No doubt the night owls across the kingdom were appreciative of the light the Princess of the Night had blessed them with. Personally, I found it a bit depressing as it was a reminder that I would be leaving Canterlot tomorrow.

My name is Benjamin, no last name that I can remember, falling off a cliff can do that. I wish I could say my venture into this strange land was caused by an epic quest or some outrageous anomaly. No, my unexplained trip to Equestria was the result of leaving camp to take care of “business” and getting lost in the woods. Imagine my surprise when I saw a miniature Zebra that could talk.

One thing led to another, and I found myself in the company of two amazing princesses. Celestia presided over the day court and the sun, and Luna was in charge of night court and hanging the stars in the sky. Both were equally important in keeping the kingdom moving in the right direction.

Apparently the last documented human had died over two thousand years ago, wiped out by the Griffins, former enemy of Equestria. Imagine the princesses’ delight and curiosity when they learned about me. The first few days were filled with questions and recovery from my fall, which wasn’t too unpleasant. Luna would quiz me in the evenings before she took charge for the remainder of the day, while Celestia would visit once she was free of day court.

The only complaint raised was that guards escorted me almost everywhere. They were stiff, expressionless, and not the best choice to have a conversation with. I had just about given up on any sort of one on one interaction, until she came along.

I heard my door creak open and turned to see who it was. A head had poked its way through the opening; two large orange eyes staring back at me, accompanied by the friendly smile of Vesper Nightsong, or simply Vesper as she preferred to be called.

Vesper was a bat pony also known as a thestral, sporting a blue mane and tail with a set of black bat wings. Her fur was a bit longer than a regular pony as well, with adorable tuffs of fur on her ears. Two small fangs just barely protruded from her mouth when it was closed. Her cutie mark was a series of white musical notes against her grey coat, hinting at her talent for singing.

Since I used to fall asleep before the guards changed I had no idea who Vesper was. One night I found myself unable to sleep, with an overwhelming feeling of loneliness. Vesper's instructions from Luna were to make sure I was still alive during the night, being an endangered species and all.

On this particular night, Vesper poked her head in to find me awake, and decided to talk for a while. That had been two weeks ago, and already we were pretty close, since bat ponies form bonds a bit quicker than normal ponies. Vesper would anxiously wait for night to come so she could visit before I fell asleep.

“How’s my human doing?” Vesper asked, gliding over to my bed to begin our nightly conversations.

“I’m nervous about the move tomorrow,” I confessed as I stroked one of her ears. “I know I asked to see the rest of Equestria, but I’m starting to doubt myself.”

“Why’s that?” Vesper asked, leaning into my hand with a happy squee.

“You saw the way those court ponies acted when they saw me,” I replied, their expressions still fresh in my memory.

Against her sister’s better judgement, Luna brought me in on a few night court cases. The reactions other ponies gave me were shock and confusion, but otherwise nonagressive. Some however, silently expressed their negative emotions through occasional glares in my direction. The princess caught onto them soon enough and apologized for their behavior.

“I saw a few smiles,” Vesper reminded me as she leaned against my chest. “You just have to show them who you really are.”

“I know, that doesn’t mean I’m looking forward to all the stares and rumors,” I shrugged as I played with both her ears while occasionally running a few fingers through her mane.

“It’ll be fine, you’ll have me with you,” Vesper reminded me, having volunteered to be a personal guard of sorts. “Somepony has to make sure you don’t get attacked at night.”

“I doubt that will happen,” I commented, regretting my decision to as Vesper looked up at me with a hurt expression. “With you on watch, that is.”

The bat pony’s muzzle turned a light shade of red as she looked away with a smile. “Just want to make sure you’re safe.”

“I will be, Celestia has already told them about me so there shouldn’t be any unexpected screams of mobs with pitchforks,” I joked, even though the thought had crossed my mind as one of the potential outcomes for this.

“You should sleep,” Vesper said as she removed herself from my lap. “We can’t have you walking around Ponyville all sleep deprived.”

“Shouldn’t you get some sleep too then?” I asked as I complied and let myself fall back onto the mattress.

“I’ve still got a job to do,” Vesper replied as she draped her forelegs over my torso, pinning me to the bed. “Go to sleep, that’s an order.”

I smiled as she used a more serious tone and expression and proceeded to pet her once more. The serious demeanor evaporated as I continued to stroke her mane and ears, being replaced by a content sigh from the pleased bat pony. She let her head come to rest on my chest, giving me easier access to her ears.

Vesper watched me through one half lidded eye as I started to drift off to sleep. I knew I’d be safe with her nearby, watching me as I slept. As creepy as it sounded, it actually helped me fall asleep faster, and soon I could feel myself lose the battle against exhaustion. Vesper had become the last thing I saw before I blanked out for the night, and the first thing when I awoke the next morning.

“Goodnight Vesper,” I mumbled as I closed my eyes.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading guys, this is hopefully the start of a new series. I tried to keep the other one going, but after a bit of soul searching I’ve decided against it. Sorry if that disappoints some of you guys, but I think it’s best to leave it where it is now.

With that out of the way, this story idea came from Midwest Bronyfest. I got to listen to Quillamore, who is a pretty talented writer, which was interesting. The real inspiration came when I decided to put in a request with one of the artist there for Cheerilee and a Bat Pony. The pose used was pretty funny and the more I tossed it around, the more I liked the idea of it being a story.

So I hope you enjoy this one, and look forward to your comments.