• Published 10th Jun 2016
  • 4,498 Views, 126 Comments

The Hero They Need - MetalJrock



Batman ends up in a world of colorful talking ponies.

  • ...
8
 126
 4,498

Revelations

Batman awoke, still in the same spot he was when he fell asleep. He was crouched on a wall in his room, not wanting to use the bed for rest. 'I should be more wary next time. The last thing I need is to be exhausted when I have to fight Ra's whenever it is I find him.' he thought, putting a hand on one knee and another on the ground to push himself up. 'Though, I should have the map memorized in my head. So, that night wasn't all for nothing I suppose.'

He opened the door and closed it once he exited his room, 'Luckily that won't be a permanent term.' he mused, finding his way around the castle easily thanks to figuring out where everything was at while wandering on his own time last night.

The Dark Knight made it to the crystal throne room where Twilight and Spike were once again eating haycakes for breakfast. He noticed that there was an extra plate sat next to them, presumably for him. Batman walked to them and crouched down, holding the plate in his hands in silence. "Good morning, Batman." greeted Twilight. Batman responded with a nod while taking a bite of the breakfast with a small fork, which he managed to grip despite his huge body and hands compared to the ponies of this world.

Spike and Twilight ignored his attitude, having gotten used to it have being near him for only a few days, 'I think they finally figured it out. Pure silence.'

The young dragon cleared his throat, "So, Twilight. What was with all the snow outside?"

"T-That was because of another villain coming to Equestria." the purple alicorn explained.

"Woah! He can control the weather?"

Batman paused, "Kind of. That was Victor Fries, goes by the alias Mister Freeze. He's the only person I've ever conflicted with that I can reason with. He didn't harm anypony and only attacked in confusion. We managed to convince him to leave without me having to damage him too much. Like I told the girls, I've only ever truly fought him twice since I put on the cowl."

"Why do you call yourself Batman anyway?" wondered Twilight. "What makes you this dark hero?"

"I do it in order to make sure no one suffers the way I did. I want to strike fear into the criminals that prowl in the night."

Twilight was confused, "What do you mean by that?"

Batman ignored her question, and continued to eat. 'It's better that she doesn't know. The last thing I need is pity by ponies. Clark and Hal will never let me hear the end of this.'

"Nevermind then..." sighed Twilight, realizing that Batman was not going to upon up his emotions.

The three continued to eat breakfast in silence until Batman put down his plate. "Thank you for the food." he muttered. The vigilante got up from his spot and began the walk out the door to the outdoors. Before he reached the door, though, something popped up within his head and he held it.

'Hello, Batman.' said a voice in Batman's head that wasn't his own.

"Doctor Fate? I take it Nightwing came to you like I told him."

Spike and Twilight wandered out of the room to hear the conversation going on. "Who is he talking to?" Spike whispered. The alicorn shook her head.

"I think he lost his mind."

'Yes he has. Now that we know you're in that dimension, I shall send Nightwing or Robin to retrieve you.' Fate revealed.

Batman cut him off, taking his hand off the side of his head, "Not yet. I still have to find Ra's Al Ghul before he uses that strange crystal to destroy this world and ours and Gotham needs protectors while I'm gone."

'Ah. Nightwing came to me about that. That is a Warp Crystal, an artifact I have not seen in years. It is capable of many things, including interdimensional travel. It is a good thing you delayed Ra's when you did. In fact, I managed to track you as fast as I did was because I detected a huge surge of otherworldy magic in this dimension. That must've been from the crystal.' explained Doctor Fate.

Batman sighed, "Of course. He must've somehow managed to learn how to use the crystal in order to send my enemies here. That would explain the energy surge you mentioned."

'Perhaps. But in the meantime, you seem to be busy over there in Equestria. Nightwing and Robin are watching over Gotham as we speak and I've promised that I would speak to them once I found you. I shall speak to you another day should you not come back soon. Let me know once you wish to return with the crystal and I can do that.'

"Thank you."

The innder conversation ended and Batman remained still, "I know you two heard everything. You don't have to hide from me." he said to Twilight and Spike, having figured out the two of them were watching him seemingly talk to himself.

"Who or what were you talking to, Batman?"

"Doctor Fate. A psychic from my world. He found me and spoke to me in my head. I figured out that Ra's has been using that crystal I mentioned to bring my enemies here to mess with me. Or to test my abilities for when he wants me to succeed him as the leader of his organization. Something I refuse to do."

"Why is that?" asked Spike.

"I will never take another person's life. Like someone did to me years ago."

Batman decided the conversation was over once he stepped out of the door of the castle. Twilight and Spike looked at eachother wondering what he meant. The two hoped to see him again later and get him to explain what he was talking about, ans perhaps get something off his chest.


Batman returned to the forest to give himself some silence. He sat down and meditated, but somethinf caught his attention. 'Don't bother hiding from me, Solar.' he said. The cloaked pony chuckled lightly at his comment, knowing that she couldn't hide from a hero like him.

'Yes. We meet again, Batman. I see that you ended up following my advice after all.' she noticed, finding that he was still in Ponyville since last time they spoke.

"They needed help, and Ra's Al Ghul could send someone there while I'm gone to divert me. It is better that I stay there until either I figure out where he's at or he comes to me. Whichever comes first." Batman explained to the invisible pony. Solar hung her head, looking up at him despite covering her eyes,

'I came to you for one reason. This may be the last time we meet for a while. You have yet to figure out what it is you lack in this world. That magic shall be what saves you once the end comes.'

Batman raised an eyebrow, "What is that supposed to mean?"

Solar sighed, 'It means that your final battle draws closer. A battle which I will not be around to observe. I have to meet speak to a blue hero in another version of Equestria, and that will take my attention away from this. My team could use you, Batman. I just hope you figure things out.' the pony vanished, her words fading and echoing in Batman's head once she left. He stood up and wandered his way back to Ponyville.


"I see you have returned with the next opponent for Batman." Chrysalis observed with a smirk, "He... Kind of looks like him in a way. Does this explain the strange teleportstion compared to the others?"

Ra's nodded, "Yes. This man is not from my universe, but from a different one," he gestured to the costumed man in front of him, "I merely explained that he will get another chance to stop Batman and he was happy to oblige."

"Ah, yes. My reverse. He and the ponies shall be my prey."

"Shall I send him to Ponyville?" asked the changeling queen.

The assassin shook his head, "Not this time. I was thinking of bringing him to one of the towns we have yet to reach and stall for more time to ready for battle while they're gone."

The assailant smirked, "Very well."


Batman came back to Ponyville, seeing Pinkie Pie bounce around the town with balloons strapped to her. "Hiya, Batman!" she greeted,
"Do you want to come to a party? It'll be more fun if you were there!"

"No."

The Dark Knight continued to walk, but a strange noise got his attention, he turned to Pinkie and saw that her cutie mark was glowing. The pink pony gasped and vanished. Batman followed the trail of smoke that she left, 'Barry would be jealous of this speed.' he managed to quip, running after Pinkie as fast as he could.

The trail led Batman back to the castle and into the crystal throne room, seeing the six mares have the same glowing problem as Pinkie with Spike standing next to the table, "Is it another friendship problem?" he asked. Batman was confused by that, seeing the situation going on.

'A freindship problem? They're glowing because of friendship? This world's more sunshines and rainbows than I took it for.' mused the Dark Knight.

"Maybe, Spike. It looks like we're being called to Baltimare. What's strange is that we're only being called at once even though that's only happened one time before." Twilight pondered.

"What is going on?"

The seven gasped, surprised to see Batman in the room without them noticing. "Jeez, Bats!" panted Rainbow Dash, "I-I mean I totally saw ya there!" she corrected herself, pretending to not have been surprised.

"Anyway, this is the Crystal Map. Ever since I got the castle, it calls us whenever there is trouble only we can solve. Mostly it is a problem related to friendship, but we're not sure that's always the case." explained Twilight.

"It's calling us to another town called Fillydelphia." added Rarity.

'Of course. More horse pun names.' thought an unamused Batman.

"Then let's go. It could be Ra's causing trouble for all we know."

"Alright." said Twilight.

"To the train station!" shouted Spike.