• Published 10th Jun 2016
  • 4,461 Views, 126 Comments

The Hero They Need - MetalJrock



Batman ends up in a world of colorful talking ponies.

  • ...
8
 126
 4,461

A Dark and Stormy Knight

"I'm back!"

Spike gleefully walked back into the castle, the only sound heard was the echo of his declaration from his spot. The dragon held a small flimsy book in his claws, a book he had been waiting months for. He walked into Twilight's throne room, where said alicorn was focused on a small experiment of hers once again. "Hey, Twilight. Guess what I got?" he asked the distracted princess clearly holding his new book right in her face and started to wave it as well.

"Uh huh. That's great, Spike." Twilight muttered in a dull tone, clearly focused on something else, gazing at her notebook. Spike smirked, realizing that he could have fun with this once again. He enjoyed Twilight getting distracted in her work since it meant that he could do as he pleased without her knowing.

"So... I'm going to eat all of the ice cream that we have." Spike declared, pretending to walk out of the room.

"Sure." Twilight responded, still ignoring the dragon. A sinister smile formed on his face.

Spike pretended to have an unsure scared look on his face, "Hey, Twilight. I don't know if you heard, but Tirek's back and assembled an army from Tartarus. We need your help in stopping them before they destroy Equestria." he said.

"Uh huh." Twilight responded. Whatever it was, she was really into it and not letting up.

'Time to pull out the big guns.' the young drake thought. "Hey! I accidently burnt down the entire library section of the castle and last every single book that was inside it!" he shouted. In an instant, Twilight snapped her eyes open and ran into the library room within the castle. She sighed in relief once she saw that everything in the room was intact.

"Spike! Why'd you say that?" Twilight yelled.

"You were so distracted. And I remember you telling me that if you ever got too distracted like that than to make up a clever lie that would get you to immediately stop what you're doing." Spike even held up a small contract dictating everything he had just said in fine print with their signatures.

"Oh... Right. Well, what was so important that you had to distract me from my research?" she questioned in an annoyed tone.

Spike smirked, "The 300th issue of Power Ponies had just come out. It's so cool! Apparently, it's the final battle between the Power Ponies and their nemesis the Mane-iac! And somepony is supposed to die in this issue, changing the universe forever before leading into an epic year-long crossover event with sime other comics where the universe changes again!" he explained in a fast way that would make even Pinkie Pie jealous.

"Why do you still read those, Spike? After what happened when we got sucked in there, I want nothing to do with comic books, wearing a cape and tights, or superheroes." Twilight groaned, recalling her experience with her friends in the enchanted Power Ponies book that Spike had brought.

"I think superheroes are cool! They're a bunch of ponies that work together to save the world. Kinda like our life actually..." the dragon trailed off, "Anyway, the Power Ponies got cool costumes and work as a team and fight supervillains like every month. The adventures they have are amazing! It's just fun."

"Well, why don't you read the books I read?" Twilight wondered.

"And what? Get into in your juicy romance tales? There's a whole shelf dedicated to that. That's your thing. I got superheroes like the Power Ponies," upon being on the opposite end of Twilight's annoyed glare, Spike raised his arms in defense, "I'm kidding! Anyway, they don't interest me as much as comic books! I know for a fact you love reading them, and Rainbow Dash enjoys Daring Do, but comics are my thing."

"Heh. I would love to meet a superhero like the Power Ponies." Spike wished.

"Yeah, like that's going to happen again, Spike. The closest we'll get was when we got trapped in the book. I don't think there are any other superheroes like them besides the Power Ponies themselves and their villains." she realized.


Batman threw a batarang at the large machine right in front of him swiftly. He flipped into a handstand before landing back on his feet, avoiding the arrows ahot by the assassins standing ready above him in a line. The man he was fighting was Ra's Al Ghul, the leader of the League of Assassins. He raised his hand, signaling his army to stop. Batman held up his fists, ready for anything Ra's had that would put him at a disadvantage.

Following his night in Arkham City, Batman had believed Ra's Al Ghul to be dead, but the League of Assassins had managed to find a spare Lazarus Pit and resurrect their leader back from the dead once again. For the past few months, Batman had been on their trail, realizing that they were planning something big.

"What do you want with Hugo Strange's old technology, Ra's?" Batman asked. "This isn't your usual M.O." he noted.

"I am aware of Strange's... Failure to purify this world, but deep within the confines of Arkham City, where I found the Lazarus Pit was where Hugo found something of interest. A crystal capable of infinite power and even the ability to travel between different dimensions. I noticed that Strange had finished it, but never used it since he opened Arkham City. Within the remains of Wonder Tower I found it perfectly intact." Ra's Al Ghul explained.

Batman growled, "Other dimensions? That's quite unlike you, Ra's." he mocked.

"No... That part doesn't interest me. The thing about this crystal is that it will allow me to finish what I had started on Arkham City. To rid this world of its sins."

"But you'll kill millions of people."

Ra's frowned, "If that is the cost of such an action than let it be." he responded in a cold tone.

Batman gritted his teeth, "As if I'm letting you get away with this." he hissed.

The immortal assassin chuckled, "I'd knew you would come face me on your own, Detective. Though, you should know by now, even you should be overwhelmed by my League of Assassins. I'm giving you one more chance, replace me or let me live and continue with this." he raised his arms, awaiting Batman's choice. Ra's dropped his sword in the process and threw it in front of him, allowing the Dark Knight to grab it.

Batman stared at the sword, "You underestimate me, Ra's..." he paused briefly. The Dark Knight picked up the blade. "This time I'm not alone... NOW!"

Smoke covered the area in an instant, causing the league to put up their guards. One by one each of them vanished. The first to appear was a man wearing a red costume and a black hood with a 'R' stitched on the costume. He held up a staff and tripped one of the bow and arrow assassins, knocking them off their feet.

The second threw a blunt escrima stick at the other members, distracting them long enough for him to flip over one. An assassin tired to stab the young man, but he grabbed their arm spun their body and threw them on the ground and repeated the same action to the assassin next to him. He wore a black suit with a blue emblem shaped like a bird.

"So, Detective. I see you brought your partners for once. Clever, but my offer still stands. Kill me, and you can end this right now." Ra's announced to Batman, stretching his arms out and closing his eyes, awaiting Batman's response to his demand.

Batman glared at Ra's once more before facing the machine and crystal, "Robin. Nightwing. Watch over Gotham while I'm gone and tell Oracle what happened. Find Doctor Fate, and explain to him what's happened here. He'll help." he ordered his sidekicks.

"Uh, Bats? What're you doing?" Nightwing asked. More assassins appeared in the room. The older of the sidekicks held the assassin's blade in between his blades, holding it right across his face. "Nice trick, but too slow." he elbowed the ninja in front of him, stunning him. Another ninja moved behind him, trying to get an opportunity to kill. But Nightwing kicked the member's legs, making him kneel and stun him for a moment. This allowed Nightwing to connect his foot to the assassin's face, knocking him out.

"Alright. Robin, how are you faring?" Nightwing qustioned.

Meanwhile, Robin spun around, whacking his staff on their chests, hitting them hard. The Boy Wonder flipped kicking both assassins attacking him with ease. Spinning back right-side up, Robin noticed that another ninja was about to shoot an arrow at him. He held up a shield, created with his staff to block the projectile. "I'm fine!" he answered Nightwing in that moment. He moved up and hit the ninja square in the jaw, knocking him into unconsciousness.

Batman slowly walked to the machine that had the crystal placed inside. The Dark Knight stabbed his sword through it, destroying the strange device. "NO!" Ra's shouted, grabbing the crystal from its supposed location. Batman punched the immortal man in the jaw, but Ra's didn't give up, chopping Batman in the chest. "You are a fool, Detective! The energies of this crystal and machine creted a rift! The only way stop it is-" he pleaded to Batman before he was cut off by both Batman and a vortex opening up.

"Balance it. I know, but we're both going in there to make sure that's the case!" Batman tackled Ra's right into the portal where it closed behind them. Nightwing and Robin watched as their mentor vanished into an unknown dimension. Nightwing rubbed his head in confusion on what to do next.

"So, uh... Maybe we should find Doctor Fate."

Robin nodded, "You do that. In the meantime, Gotham's going to need a protector. If you need help let me know. Let's just hope Bruce is safe wherever he is."

Nightwing smirked, "It's Bruce we're talking about. Wherever he ends up, he'll be fine." he assured the younger man, knowing Batman, they know that he's at least alive.