• Published 30th May 2016
  • 1,836 Views, 173 Comments

Rhythm and Rhyme - MyHobby



Sweetie Belle's relationship with Button Mash is tested when she is kidnapped for Ahuizotl's master plan. With the changelings suing for peace, Equestria nears a grand upheaval. Can Daring Do tip the scales?

  • ...
7
 173
 1,836

The Hero's Relic

The magic around Celestia’s horn flickered with each bolt that struck her six shields. Every magnetic object in the room careened at random intervals. Her pinkish mane stood on end as she redirected her shields, moving as fast as a blink. The Painted One’s rate of fire was constrained by his ability to actually cast the magic. A telling flick of the eye, the tensing of a muscle, a breath too short—all spoke loud and clear where Celestia needed to move.

The breathless mage stumbled, and Celestia caught an opportunity. She launched a shield like a discus, low and quick, which struck one of his hind legs. He howled as he toppled, the Bolting magic orb lighting up with a hasty shield. An aimless bolt shot out faster than she could react. The pure electric energy burned a gash into her side.

Celestia fell to her knees and crawled back, her shields overlapping in an armored shell. The shields were made of the same material as royal guard armor, and so formed a magical barrier as they touched. Debris fell from the ceiling, clattering against the metal plates. Lapsus rose, his Bolting gripped close to his chest. Blood pooled at the base of his hind leg, running the magic tattoos covering his body.

His eyes glowed brilliant blue as he fired the Bolting again. And again. And again. He beat at Celestia’s cover with all his magical might. The room shivered and shook, pillars cracking and banisters crumbling.

Celestia waited as the gaps between the spells grew longer. The feathers on her wings singed before she was able to detect hesitation. She took a breath, held it, and then released it at the same time the spell ceased.

Six shields rained down on Lapsus, scouring his hide. Some bounced off his barrier, but many strikes found their way through. Sometimes a bladed edge caught his torso, sometimes a flat smashed against his head. The paint around his face and forelegs radiated, shrugging off some blows while dulling others.

Celestia intensified her attack with all the magic energy at her disposal. Every ounce of her energy went into defying physics; redirecting the shields faster than most thought possible. The battering became a torrent, but the Painted One fought on. Her eyes and her foe’s met, and she knew he had found an opening.

The next lightning bolt struck her in her scarred chest. Her back impacted the metallic table, then went through it. Her shields scattered as they fell from her telekinetic grip.

Slowly, achingly, she stood to her feet. She glared daggers of pure fire at the Painted One. “Even a pegasus can withstand a lightning bolt, foal. I am so much more!

Lapsus, Lieutenant of the Painted Ones, steeled himself with his good hind leg. “But can you withstand a hurricane?”

Celestia raised her head, her horn alight. She dragged her shields through the air to hover at her side. “I have weathered such once before. And you are no Hurricane.”

“Daddy!”

Celestia saw out of the corner of her eye; Twilight Amore and Flurry Heart were at the entrance of the dining hall. They were so close to safety, though they dodged more debris and lightning by the second. Through the door, reinforcements approached in the form of a fully-armored Shining Armor and Mi Amore Cadenza. Celestia allowed herself a small sense of satisfaction. The Painted One was, in layponies’ terms, screwed.

Lapsus howled as he swung the Bolting. “Let the earth tremble!”

The blast struck not Celestia or the guardsponies, but the archway above the entrance. Already weakened by the battle, the arch collapsed, blocking the doorway. Slab Bulkhead skidded to a halt inches from becoming a pony pancake. Natter was struck by a chunk of marble and fell to his face. Twilight Amore fell from his back, but he was quick to shield her with his body. Alongside Flurry and Sky Wishes, they cowered beside the ruined door as Lapsus prepared another spell.

Celestia flung her shields across the room to protect them as a dozen guardsponies did likewise. As she did, she kept her attention on Lapus. He did exactly what she was expecting: While the others rushed to the aid of the children, he redirected his attack towards the High Princess. Celestia let her grip on the shields drop, and charged up a spell of a different nature.

She vanished in a cloud of sparkles, and the lightning bolt passed through unhindered.

She reappeared behind Lapsus. She struck out with both hind legs, and connected with his flank. He caught himself at the end of his inglorious flight, but just barely. His forehead drenched with sweat, his chest heaving, he struck the ground with the Bolting.

Lightning traced its way through the ground until it touched Celestia’s hooves. Jolts of paint shot into her limbs on a warpath towards her heart. She moved to jump, but it was too late. A scream tore its way unbidden from her throat as her heart missed a beat, two beats, three… A guard tackled Lapsus from behind, but was immediately rebuffed.

A shield slammed itself into the side of the Painted One’s head, guided by a shock of yellow magic. It returned the way it came in short order, striking him a second time. He coughed, his mouth uttering unintelligible profanity. He and Celestia both looked to see the source of the attack. Celestia’s eyes went wide with fear.

Flurry Heart gripped the shields in a loose cloud of protection, her oversized horn sparkling with the effort. The young filly’s eyes were wet with tears. She spoke with gasping sobs. “I won’t let you hurt Auntie Celestia!”

Celestia fought to stand, but slumped limply to the floor. “Flurry, no—”

Lapsus gave the High Princess a dismissive snort. He turned to the younger princess, cold ruthlessness washing over his every movement. “Then the alicorns shall drop like flies.”

***

Chrysalis II burst from her room with the mechanoid tight on her heels. Its laser cannon rose from its open back, a light charge emanating from its barrel. She nearly bowled Silver Lance over in her haste. The young colt screamed and threw a box of chocolates at the monster. A shot from his weapon dissolved the chocolate into ashes.

Bugly grabbed the colt and threw him bodily down the hall. He snapped orders at his soldiers without a moment’s pause. “Tackle! Weigh it down! Suck the life from the blasted thing!”

The changelings reacted before the final word had left his mouth. A dozen-odd changelings dogpiled the automaton with a synchronized leap. The struggle appeared as a churning mass of chitin and wings, with only the occasional mechanical limb protruding.

Chrysalis stood still as her soldiers battled for her life. She froze, her muscles refusing every command her mind gave them. Fight? Flee? Scream? Cry? She could do nothing but watch.

“Queen Chrysalis the Second.” Hoofsteps accompanied a harsh voice from down the hall. “You have an appointment in Felaccia.”

Two stallions approached, each holding a glowing orb; one red, the other blue. The foremost stallion raised the orb to light his face. Painted, like one of Ahuizotl’s goons. “I am Confuto, High Priest of the Once and Future Queen. She has summoned you to her reborn Kingdom of the Changelings. Return with us, and we will bring no harm to your allies.”

That much was already a lie. The automaton slammed itself against the wall to injure and fling off her guards. Bugly bit down on its head, eliciting a gear-grinding squeal.

Silver Lance appeared from between her forelegs. He rubbed his chin and looked up. “I think you can take them.”

Confuto snarled, waving his companion back. He raised his magic orb, from which radiated unbearable heat. “Resist, and your companions will face the wrath of Bolganone!”

Before Chrysalis could respond, a rainbow of light streaked down the corridor. It struck Confuto in the chest and carried him back several meters. The Bolganone rolled away, towards her and Lance.

The other Painted One—the whispers of his heart revealed his name as Insurgo—drew back from the violence and readied his shimmering blue orb.

Wind swept past Chrysalis as a strong stallion charged past her. He met Insurgo with a headbutt and attempted to knock the orb from his hooves. The Painted One entangled the stallion with a swift grapple, and then used his own weight to flip him head-over-tail. A shout of pain left the stallions throat.

“Rumble!” A young mare hovered overhead, her orange coat contrasting with her purple wings. “Don’t be a dummy! Hit him where it hurts!” She then zipped over to put her hooves on Chrysalis’ shoulders. “Hi, name’s Scootaloo. You really gotta go, Your Worshipfulness!”

Sounds of struggle echoed down the hallway. The rainbow blur and Confuto traded blows, the rainbow-clad mare swinging with Carrote-style attacks. She was far nimbler than the muscular stallion she fought, but he shrugged off each blow with a shimmer of his painted coat.

Rumble managed to get behind Insurgo and put him in a headlock, but the Painted One threw the both of them against the wall. A heavily-bandaged wing hit unyielding marble, and pain flashed across Rumble’s face.

The rainbow-maned mare shouted over her shoulder. “Scootaloo! Use the magic orb!”

“Uh.” Scootaloo scooped up the Bolganone and held it aloft. “Yeah! I got it! Thanks, Dash!”

She reeled back, swung hard, and clobbered Insurgo across the jaw with the thing. He crumbled to the floor with blood dribbling out his nose. His blue orb bounced down the hallway as Rumble slumped to his rump.

Rainbow Dash tilted her head. She blocked a downward strike from Confuto. “That’s not really how it works, Scoot!”

Scootaloo tossed the orb to herself. She helped an aching Rumble to his feet. “I found it effective.”

Confuto snarled. “Dissero! Fire at will!”

The automaton whirred and stood. The cannon swiveled, seeking any target it could lay its gaze upon. Bugly released the head and blocked the cannon with a cloven hoof. “Get out of here, my queen! We’ll hold them back!”

Confuto rolled out of Rainbow Dash’s range, and into touching distance of the blue orb. He laid a hoof on it just as Dash caught up. Her next blow met with a wall of ice that separated her from the others. She slammed her hooves into it, but didn’t leave so much as a scuff on the frictionless surface

Frost covered every surface of the corridor. Spikes of ice jutted out at odd intervals. The cold crept its way towards Chrysalis, mirroring the ice in her heart. Soon, if she didn’t do anything, she would be figuratively and literally frozen to the floor.

Confuto chuffed as he stretched out his foreleg. “I had intended to burn you in the blaze of Bolganone. Just as fitting that you fade in the frost of Fimbulvetr!”

Scootaloo lifted Bolganone. The orb flickered and faded as she attempted to pump her magic into it. Insurgo leaped up and grappled with her. She tried to fly back, but he was too heavy for her to lift. Rumble attempted to tackle him shoulder-first, but Insurgo kicked his bad wing with a hind leg. Rumble slipped on the icy floor and collapsed to his belly.

In the struggle, Insurgo’s hood fell from his head. Scootaloo lunged forward to bite his ear. She twisted her head this way and that as the Painted One howled. The Bolganone remained trapped between them, neither willing or able to let go.

Chrysalis felt a tug on her tail. The small voice of Silver Lance called out to her. “Come on! Into the room! The window’s open!”

Confuto stalked towards them. He stepped around the dazed Rumble and the yet-struggling Scootaloo and Insurgo. Dissero screeched with mechanical whirrings as the changelings used their full might just to keep him from moving. Confuto scowled at Chrysalis. “I tire of this nonsense. Dissero, kill them.”

Dissero’s cannon fired. Bugly was launched against the wall, his foreleg a smoldering wreck. The cannon fired twice more, and two more changelings fell.

Bugly wheezed. “My Queen, run!”

The frost of Fimbulvetr coated the changeling soldiers. Three fell to the ground, frozen solid. The others found themselves bucked from Dissero’s back. With his newfound freedom, the automaton turned his cannon towards Scootaloo. The point glowed with magic, ready to fire.

Chrysalis stared at her fallen soldiers. She looked to Rainbow Dash, attempting to beat her way through solid ice. She saw Rumble and Scootaloo struggling for their life and hers. Her blood boiled. This was wrong! This wasn’t how things were supposed to turn out! She couldn’t let it end like this!

She wreathed her horn in swaths of fiery changeling magic. She gripped the end of Dissero’s cannon and forced it upward. The magic lanced out, past Confuto, past Scootaloo and Insurgo, to the ice at the far side of the corridor. Cracks appeared, followed by a resounding crash as the structure collapsed.

Rainbow shot in like a bolt of thunder, a fruit bat outta heck. Her mass connected with Insurgo and carried him down the hallway, her hooves pounding his gut the entire way. Scootaloo spat out the remainder of his ear, disgust awash across her face. She helped Rumble to his hooves, supporting him by pressing up against his side.

Silver Lance pulled Chrysalis into the bedroom with all his might. “You can escape through the window! You gotta run!”

Running. Yes. That was what her soldiers were giving their life for. That’s what Rainbow Dash and the rest were fighting for. Her safety. Her security. The evening sky awaited her, ready to cover her escape. She spread her wings to grab the air with her magic. Her hooves left the floor as the outdoor air hit her face.

A chill deeper than the harshest winter—colder than her mother’s cursed heart—hit her in the back. Her wings turned brittle. Her disguise melted away. Her stomach hit the railing around the balcony, inches from falling to her death. She gaped at the ground, which now seemed so eager to swallow her up.

She scrambled back onto the balcony. Her wings cracked and scattered themselves across the floor. She cried out in pain—it would take weeks to grow them back. Breathless and sick to her stomach, she could only watch as Confuto approached, Fimbulvetr gripped in his hoof.

Silver Lance charged, but was swatted away without a second glance. The young colt hit his head against a table leg, which knocked him out cold. Confuto walked onto the balcony, cast a spell, and encased the entryway with a solid wall of ice, half a meter thick.

“In that case,” he growled, “I suppose I’ll drag you to Felaccia myself.”

***

The lightning snapped and crackled around Flurry Heart as the shields danced around her. One wrong move, and everyone would be dead. Guardsponies littered the dining-room-turned-battle-arena, some unconscious, some worse-off. The soldiers that surrounded Flurry seemed to be torn between protecting her and giving her room to work. She could hear her little sister crying behind her, curled up in Sky Wishes’ forelegs.

She could hear her father and mother beating the rubble into sub mission, seeking entry into the melee. They wouldn’t make it before Lapsus did his dirty work. They couldn’t stop the Painted One before he killed everybody.

Only Flurry Heart stood between them and disaster.

The old stories came to mind. How Princess Celestia called down a beam of sunlight to save her sister from evil Diamond Dogs. How Sombra fell to the power of an eclipse. Time and time again, alicorns accomplished feats of awesome power to fell dastardly foes.

But Flurry was just a little girl, and she was so very, very scared.

Lapsus geared himself up for another attack, stronger than the last, intent to blast Flurry Heart to pieces. The attack reflected off the shields, bouncing around the room before dissipating in a huff of ozone. A taste of iron touched Flurry’s tongue; the strain on her horn was causing her nose to bleed.

The desperate cries of her father and mother struck her in the heart. The rubble shifted, but not enough. They were all still trapped.

Trapped…

Trapped!

Flurry flung a shield at the Painted One. He moved to the side and let it pass by. He released a strike that she intercepted with another shield. The lightning bounced off the second and hit the first. She angled the shot, and it struck Lapsus in the back. He howled, stumbling. The enchanted paint across his body insulated him from his own power… but it was running. His blood had cleared space across his chest, his back, and his legs. That seemed to be enough to cause the enchantment to weaken.

So Flurry put her plan into motion.

She left the first shield hovering in space behind the Painted One. She flung a second shield at him, which he deflected to the side. Using another angle, her third weapon bounced to the other side of her foe. He lifted his head to see the shields around him, a wary look entering his eye. He fired a weak lance of energy at the filly, which she reflected easily. It bounced between the shields before striking the ground just beside his hoof. With a growl, he cast an arc of electricity that curved up and around her shields, so that she had to pull the remaining three close to her body.

He thought he understood her plan. That’s exactly what she was hoping for.

A fourth and a fifth shield launched themselves towards him, and were again pushed back. The five shields surrounded him on all sides, but he didn’t have to worry about them if he curved the spells. Flurry wiped her nose. Her head spun. Her horn ached. Her lungs burned from heavy breathing. She had to do something soon. She had to bring the battle to an end.

She let him see her stumble. She let him see the final shield droop. She let him think that he had the upper hoof. He pulled the Bolting back for a final, flesh-searing strike.

Flurry pumped her horn full of reserve energy. It glowed a blinding white atop her head. She gripped all six shields with every beat of her heart. The shields raced towards the Painted One and surrounded him. The instant they connected, a magical forcefield activated, trapping Lapsus completely.

Too late to stop himself, he released the Bolting’s spell.

The blast reflected off the shields, bounding off the field, striking Lapsus through the heart again and again as it continued its unstoppable rampage. Each bounce against the shields sent waves of pain through Flurry Heart’s head. She pushed back, bringing the shields tighter and tighter around the Painted One, narrowing the lightning bolt’s focus. A scream of pain, horror, and rage emanated from the torrential assault.

The Bolting cracked, and the room was filled with a blinding light.

Flurry’s horn winked out. She was caught by Natter before she could collapse to the ground. The shields dropped in a cluster, scattering Lapsus’ ashes to the four winds. The guards rushed to tend to Celestia’s burns.

The weight sunk in. He was dead. The bad guy was dead. She killed him. Her stomach churned. She didn’t think she had the strength to vomit, but her body was all too eager. Tears fell like a torrent of rain. She felt so dirty. The scream still echoed. His eyes still burned in her memory.

“Flurry! Twilight!”

She lifted her eyes. There, but a few steps away, were he father and mother. Shining Armor dropped his javelins and ran to her. He scooped her up in his forelegs, hugging her tight. “Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

He reached out a hoof to pull Twilight Amore into the embrace. Flurry’s younger sister could only shiver uncontrollably, unable to speak. Flurry herself shuddered out weak words. “I… I killed… He’s dead, daddy.”

Pink wings surrounded them, blotting out the harsh light left in the wake of burning furniture and emergency lightning. The warmth of a mother’s touch was added to the embrace, alongside the strong security of her father’s hooves. Flurry Heart was in the single most wonderful place she knew of in the whole world.

“It’s alright, Flurry. We’re all okay.” Princess Mi Amore Cadenza cooed into her daughters’ ears. “You’re safe now, Twilight. You can rest.”

The four little ponies held each other tight while the room bustled around them.

***

Martial Paw stirred among the rubble. Soot coated his wings and chest, and a cinder alighted his beak. A soft breath blew it out, reducing it to ash. He opened his eyes and stared at an open sky, the sounds of war echoing in the distance. He pulled himself upright.

The room was completely caved in. Above his head, he could see two additional stories through which he’d fallen. By all rights, he should be dead. But his uncle had saved him.

In front of him, he could see the wall had been torn clean in half. Strutters and griffon soldiers flew by, firing their weapons at each other. A burning airship crumpled into the lake. A cannon fired off one last shot before it was reduced to molten wootz.

Martial narrowed his eyes. Only moments could have passed since the Hesperus Mactans attacked. Ahuizotl could still be descending along the mountainside. He would be vulnerable to an attack from the air. Martial checked his Turner volleygun. Two shots remaining. He reloaded it to its full capacity and stuffed it in his belt.

“Martial! Martial Paw!”

Martial glanced over his shoulder. Button Mash pressed himself against a pile of rocks, trying with all his meager might to move them. Martial gave the colt a dismissive snort and walked towards the open air.

“Martial, I need your help!” Button repositioned his legs to gain a better stance. “I can’t do this on my own!”

“I’m going to kill Ahuizotl.” Martial shook his wings to rid them of debris. “I’d accept your assistance, but you’ve already displayed your… lack of prowess. Kindly shut your mouth.”

“Are you crazy?” Button Mash gestured wildly at the crumbled rocks and fractured boulders that littered the room. “Everybody’s still trapped! If we work fast, we can save them—”

“There’s no time.” Martial hoisted himself onto the crag and felt the open air call to him. He sought out the blue furred form of Ahuizotl, and saw him scrambling some distance down the castle wall. Just as he was about to leap forth, a set of teeth clamped down on his tail and dragged him backward.

He hit the ground rump-first, and wasted no time in clubbing the offending pony with a fist. As expected, Button Mash practically flew through the air with the impact. Martial had half a mind to pull out his volleygun and finish the colt then and there. He held on to the last of his restraint and settled for pointing a talon. “You stay down… or I’ll put you down.”

Button Mash wiped the blood from his mouth. “What is wrong with you?”

“That thing, that monster, that mad god—” Martial seethed, his voice shaking. “—took away every last thing that I loved, and I’ll be hanged before I let you interfere!”

Button Mash’s face turned red. He fumed, climbing to his hooves in a hurry. “Everything you love? What about your uncle? What about Blankety? They’re right there, Martial! They’re buried alive, suffocating to death, and you refuse to help them because you’ve got a stick up your butt?”

Martial Paw felt his blood boil over. He grasped the colt by the shoulder, drawing trickles of blood. “A stick! Need I remind you that monster has your girlfriend with him?”

“So what are we waiting for?” Button Mash winced, tears flowing from his eyes, but he locked gazes with Martial all the same. “If we work fast, we can save them all!”

“He’ll escape again!” Martial’s voice grew hoarse. He punctuated every word by shaking Button. “He’ll escape like he always does! And then nobody will be able to avenge her!”

Button Mash grabbed the single talon holding him aloft. He patted gently, unable to move much more because of the pain. “What about the king? What about Mr. Blank? D—” His sentence was cut off by a deep, pained groan. “—do you wanna avenge them, or help them?”

Martial’s grip weakened. His knees buckled as he dropped Button to the floor.

“You’re not alone, Martial. I promise.” Button Mash eased himself upright, holding a hoof to his shoulder. “There are people who wanna stick with you. Who’re counting on you. Right now.”

Martial lay his ears against his scalp. He picked up a rock and propelled it into the aether. His forceful breathing slowed as the moments passed. The sting in his sinuses begged to be let out in the form of tears, but he refused them. “I have to kill him. I have to pay him back for taking Daring away.”

“And then what? Attend two more funerals?” Button stomped a hoof as his voice rose. “Daring’s gone. They’re not.”

Martial ran his talons through his neck feathers. He brought his wings close to his sides.

“Martial, please.” Button touched Martial Paw’s shoulder. “We don’t have a whole lot of time.”

Marty.

Martial’s ears perked up, but he had not heard the voice. Only felt it. He turned to where he felt his heart being tugged. Inside the crumbled castle. Among the rocks.

Marty, p-please.” The voice spoke softly, but all the more fervent. “Help us.

With a start, he realized the voice had been calling out all this time. He just hadn’t been able to hear it over all the rage pounding in his head. Blankety Blank was calling out to him, a message passed from heart-to-heart.

Marty, my friend,” Blankety said. “Help.

“Blank.” Martial rushed to where he felt his friend must be. He dug at the rocks, careful not to shift too many at once. Button Mash appeared alongside him, clearing the rubble at twice the pace. Before long, Martial found smoothness where there should have been more shale. Blankety Blank’s chitin.

Martial grasped the large stone that lay atop the changeling and heaved. Button Mash pressed his back against the side to hold it up. While the young stallion strained, Martial dragged Blankety’s body from the shallow grave. He held Blankety Blank close, looking over his limbs and torso for mortal wounds.

Thank you… Martial…” Blankety smiled, his eyes closed. His mouth couldn’t be opened, due to the damage from the collapse. “D-Daring… says hi…

“She what?” Martial wiped dust from his friend’s face. “Blank, you need to rest. Just relax, and everything’ll be taken care of.”

She misses you…” Blankety’s throat constricted as he coughed. “She misses us a lot…

“He’s delirious.” Martial helplessly looked to Button. “W-what can we do?”

“Lay him still. Keep his back and neck straight.” Button peered into one of Blankety’s multifaceted eyes. He shrugged. “Dang it. I don’t know much about changelings, but I’m pretty sure he needs a hospital.”

Really now?”

“I know, not really helpful.” Button Mash rubbed his forehead. “He needs painkillers, and fluids, and sugars, stat. We have to be careful moving him. We don’t know what’s broken.” He jerked his head towards the far side of the room. “Come on. There’s still two more in there.”

Martial lay Blankety gently down. His heart broke, seeing his friend like that. He was as helpless as Martial felt.

He lifted his eyes to where Button was running. He held in a gasp, but just barely. A massive talon, which could only belong to Andean Ursagryph, lay at the base of a pile of stone. The foreleg led into the depths of the rock and disappeared from view.

“Oh, Creator.”

It took the strength of both Martial and Button to clear the stones away, piece by excruciating piece. Martial fought against the weight with a roar, clearing a boulder away from Andean’s face. The king’s breathing was visibly labored, not helped by the pile of castle atop his chest.

In a matter of minutes, with a flap of Martial’s wings and a kick from Button’s hind legs, the last of the stone cleared King Andean Ursagryph’s body. Button’s face grew more and more pained as he examined the king. “Multiple chest wounds, probably a punctured lung. Broken ribs and wings. Third degree burns across the forelegs and right side. Martial, this doesn’t—”

“Don’t finish that sentence.” Martial Paw touched a talon to Andean’s. “You don’t know of whom you speak.”

Andean coughed once, then nearly vomited. His voice was weak, but certain. “Indeed. The stallion does not. But he is more right than you know.”

“Uncle!” Martial held the king’s talon tighter. “You shouldn’t try to speak—”

“I will… have my piece.” With an agonized screech, Andean moved his wing aside to reveal the battered form of Caballeron. “Please get this pony out from under me.”

Caballeron was dazed, bruised, and cut to heck, but he was able to walk when Button put his shoulder beneath his forelegs. Once they had moved aside, Andean settled back into place. He opened one eye to gaze at his nephew, his brow furrowed.

“Martial Paw…” Andean wheezed, closing his talons around Martial’s. “You have broken your banishment.”

Martial nodded as his ears drooped. “Yes, Your Grace.”

Andean sighed. “To kill Ahuizotl.”

“Yes.”

What might have been a chuckle died before it truly lived. “Would that you had been here to advise me.” Andean Ursagryph looked past Martial, Button, and Caballeron. Martial followed his gaze, and knew that he observed the battle around them. “I had so much wanted to call you back home. But not like this.”

He squeezed Martial’s talon. “Do not let the lords find you. They will put you to death without question.”

Martial swallowed the lump in his throat. “They won’t even know I’m here.”

Andean wheezed. A faint light flickered behind his eyes, his vast intellect at work. “Martial. I have failed to protect this country from those who would destroy it. My body has failed me. I have to rely on you to defend Felaccia. Make sure my daughters… make sure your cousins are safe.”

“You can make sure they’re safe, Uncle.” Martial touched his forehead to Andean’s knuckle. “You aren’t going to die here. I swear you won’t.”

“I haven’t much time…” Andean coughed, wet and weak. “Before I drown in my own blood.”

He let Andean’s talon drop. He backed away from his uncle, towards the hole in the wall. “No. Your story does not end here. We’re going to get you medical attention.”

“Wait.” Andean moved his talon towards his right side, pointing. “Take this, Martial.”

Euroclydon’s hilt struck out of the rubble, its handle pointed towards Martial. He shook his head. Shame washed over his head and down his body. “No, Uncle. I couldn’t—”

“It was made for your bloodline. Commissioned by your ancestor Berkut.” Andean’s stern voice was like iron clasps, immobile and unescapable. “You will need it to strike down the enemies of Felaccia, as you were meant to do.”

Martial walked up to the sword. The chosen weapon of griffon kings. A magic blade forged from the hottest fires of Felaccia. A relic charged with the power of a mighty storm. “How can I possibly be worthy?”

Andean frowned. “If it was about worthiness, the sword would never have made its way to my hand.”

Martial clicked his beak, turning away from his uncle. He bowed his head and closed his eyes. A long breath filled his lungs, and was slowly breathed out. His pulse slowed. The tension left his back. His heart beat strong and sure. He wrapped one talon around the hilt, then the other.

With a single tug, he pulled Euroclydon from its resting place. The blade reshaped itself as he did so, folding in on itself to form a suitable length and width. Lightning flashed from the red gemstone pommel, all along the length of the wootz, and into Martial’s very limbs. Martial released a sharp breath. A gust cleared the area of ash and dust.

Martial Paw slid the legendary sword into its scabbard and slung it across his back. “I’ll have you know, I’m only borrowing this.” He looked from his uncle to Blank, both unable to move under their own power. “I can’t just leave you both like this.”

Button picked his jaw up off the floor. He released Caballeron to stand on his own. A hop brought him to the edge of the hole in the wall. “I don’t know what else we can do. Nobody’s gonna stop fighting to—”

A Strutter exploded right in front of his face. He threw himself to the ground, covering his head as bits and pieces of metal clattered around him. “What the heck did—?” He peered over the opening. His eyes popped. “Oh wow. Oho ho, wow.”

Martial flew across the room to stand beside him. Caballeron ran, his eyes regaining their luster now that oxygen could reenter his brain. The three of them looked across the battlefield to see the same event repeated ad nauseum. Magic spells shot up from below to knock Strutters from the sky. From above, enchanted arrows of ice and fire rained. The griffon regulars let out a cheer as they saw the very same thing Button did.

At the entrance to Roc, an entire armada of Equestrian vessels piled into the city. Airships hovered overhead, dispersing pegasus soldiers with bows. Unicorns charged up crowd-clearing volleys of spells from the boats. Earth ponies manned launchers, sending ballistae plowing through the cloud of Strutters.

“It’s Luna!” Button pointed to the prow of the flagship. “It’s Princess Luna! She came to fight!”

Martial glanced at his uncle, who let out a satisfied hum. “I had hoped so,” Andean said.

“Wait.” Button Mash grabbed Martial’s shoulder. “The navy ships always have a sickbay. If we can get Blankety Blank and the king to one of the boats—”

“How?” Martial leaned against the stone, clenching a fist. “There’s no way we can carry them. And it’ll take too long to bring the ships here.”

Caballeron looked down the mountain. He laughed, light and airy. “I believe you are all missing the obvious solution.”

Side by side, Martial and Button lowered their heads. All at once, Martial’s heart soared. His personal airship, the Vanishing Point, puttered towards them, piloted by Captain Care Carrot herself. “The Vanishing Point. Where the sky meets the horizon.”

The envelope crested the fracture in the side of the castle. The main body of the vessel loomed into view soon after. Care tossed them a line, and Martial secured the ship to the area. “Just got the word from Luna,” she said. “We’re official agents in Felaccia, now. No more skulking.”

Martial gave Care a talon to lean on as she climbed from the airship’s deck. “Captain, am I glad to see you.”

“That’s a welcome change.” Care gave him a sardonic smile. It fell away the instant she looked past him. “Blank!” She rushed to the changeling’s side. Her hooves hovered, wanting to help Blank, but unwilling to make things worse. “Okay. Okay, what’s the plan? We’ve got a plan, right?”

“Currently, yes.” Martial pointed to his uncle at the back of the room. “We’ve got to get Blank and Andean medical attention. If we load them onto the Vanishing Point—”

“We can take ’em to the fleet. Got it.” Care tapped her horn. “Just one problem: There’s still a million bad guys between us and the fleet. Fighting’s getting too fierce. I’ve only been able to keep the Point aloft by hugging the mountain.”

Martial bobbed his head. He pulled the scabbard off of his back and drew Euroclydon. He used it as a pointer to indicate the floating boulders that surrounded the castle. “The defense placements can be used as cover. We can bounce from emplacement to emplacement. In the meantime…” He raised Euroclydon. A blast of lightning struck out and snagged a passing Strutter. The vehicle burst into flames and disintegrated on its way to the lake. “I’ll cut a path.”

Care’s eyes widened. She gave him a silly grin. “You get to keep that thing, right?”

“It’s a loaner,” Button Mash said. He took in a shaky breath. “We still need to tail Ahuizotl.”

“True enough, but…” Martial clicked his beak. He eyed the young stallion as he sheathed Euroclydon. “What’s your proposition?”

“He’s still climbing down the mountain. He’s going to the control chamber inside the castle.” Button Mash took an offered cloth from Care and patted it against his shoulder. “If some of us can tail him, then when you get the patients the help they need, you can come to the rescue and defeat him once and for all.” Button nodded towards the sky. The hair on the back of his neck stood up. “If Ahuizotl turns on the Sunspear, we’re all dead.”

“And you’re volunteering?” Care frowned deeply. She and Martial shared the same expression. “How do you figure on following him?”

“I can fly those dragonfly-looking Strutter things. I, uh, got some practice back in Equestria.” Button climbed the rubble to get a better view of the battlefield. “If you get me one of those, I can follow Ahuizotl and Sweetie. If you give me something to contact you with, I can lead you right to him.”

Button sat down and rolled his shoulders. “Caballeron is coming with me.”

The doctor gave the young stallion a double-take. “What? You think for a moment I’m—”

“You can come with me,” Button said, “or you can stay with the guy who stabbed you a couple days ago. He’ll take you to the princess who’s gonna throw you in prison for the rest of your life. You wanna maybe make a name for yourself stopping the omnicidal maniac before you go before a jury?”

Martial examined Button. The stallion sat with his head held high, no nervousness evident despite the torrent of emotions he must have been feeling. He had made up his mind, and would brook no argument. Martial cast one last glance between Andean and Blankety, then gave Button a finalizing nod. “Very well. If you think you’re up to the task.”

“I have to be.” Button Mash stood and clambered down to the main floor. He lowered his head. “Thank you.”

Martial couldn’t help but grin as Caballeron squirmed, unable to speak up against the idea. If the doctor had to keep living, better that he live in discomfort. “Now then, let’s see about getting the two of you airborne.”

***

The capture of a passing Strutter was the work of a moment. A fireball from Care knocked the copilot from one dragonfly-shaped craft, while Martial defeated the other with a swift stab. He guided the vessel downward, and landed it in front of Button and Caballeron.

Button Mash climbed aboard the Strutter, nestling his torso over the seat and reaching his four legs out to hit the pedals. Hind legs to control the weapons. Front legs to control the acceleration, the altitude, and the direction. Care handed him a set of goggles from the Vanishing Point’s interior, and gave Dr. Caballeron a matching set.

The older stallion clipped himself into the rear-facing gunner’s seat. “You’d better be blasted sure about this.”

Button felt energy flow through his legs as his heart beat alongside the one powering the Strutter. A few faint mumblings about “The limitless power of Queen Cicada” pulsed through his mind until he squelched the Painted One’s rhetoric. “Just keep the fighters off our tail and we’ll get through this.”

Andean lay aboard the Vanishing Point, strapped down like cargo. Blankety’s stretcher lay beside him, bolted to the deck as securely as they were able. Care stood behind the ship’s wheel, and Martial stood astride the prow. He drew Euroclydon once more and saluted Button. “You have the dragonfire?”

“Right here!” Button patted his saddlebags. “You’ll hear from us the instant we find Ahuizotl!”

Martial Paw nodded. The Vanishing Point pulled away from the mountain, and they began their desperate run through the battlefield.

Button Mash pulled the control pads upward, just like a puppeteer raising the strings of his marionette. The Strutter lifted in tandem with the movement. “You okay back there, Doc?”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Dr. Caballeron.”

“Better.” Caballeron sneered over his shoulder. “Let’s just get this over with.”

Button Mash smiled. “On that note…” He pushed the throttle forward, and the Strutter shot into the open air. “We’re coming, Sweetie Belle. Just hold on.”